Exalted General - /exg/

>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

Resources for Third Edition
>Final 3E Core Release
mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf

>3E Backer Core (Old)
mega.nz/#!E1dRBBIa!ZbQG4IasYCJRli2bhgE2MOdWeFAeV3N1rqL9kAIGbNE

>Frequently updated Charsheet with Formulas and Autofill docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder: drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Eld 3e Materials, incl. comics & fiction anthologies mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: imgur.com/a/TYKE4

2.5e Resources:
>Books w/ embedded errata + extras: mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew files: mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

1e Resources:
>mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e

Have you ever had Manses in your games? What were they like? What did you use them for?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/mMWsnXHL
docs.google.com/document/d/1V010JsBCcPNV6612dQJ7eVRUj1PLaCJ7FX5XQJ0Av1o/edit
pastebin.com/UWzVjjMt
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Miracles of ancient wonder

Speaking of Manses, what do we know about them in this edition? 2e had varied, wondrous powers that they could have, and they strictly speaking didn't need to be a building, but could instead be a single room in one or a statue or sculpture in a field.

We once constructed a manse which followed our army around and controlled all the soldiers with mind control so we didn't need to train them or anything and providing essence artillery support.

>fu-sion HA! charm

neat

what are your favorite sidereal martial arts (purely going by flavor not brokenness/power/utility)

Obsidian Shards of Infinity style is cool. Mirrors are cliche but I like it.

I am new to Exalted so I don't know much beyond 3E. Can you tell me about the Sidereal Martial Arts? What I was told about them was that rather than emulating animals and stuff like regular martial arts, they embody concepts, which makes them more powerful and weird. Is that accurate? What are the various styles like?

Ivory Pestle Style. I just love whacking people with a stick.

The SMA's are the ultimate in martial arts, it's basically like Neo from the Matrix. Hacking reality with sufficiently advanced kung-fu. You can punch someone so hard they start aging backwards. You can punch someone so hard they permanently lose the ability of interpersonal communication. You can punch someone so hard they turn into a duck.

There was even a combo in 2nd edition known as Creation Slaying Oblivion Kick which lets you punch everything in the universe simultaneously and irrevocably destroy it.

Which SMA allows you to punch someone into a duck?

Charcoal march of spiders

In no particular order. Prismatic Arrangement of Creation due to touching on weird themes, being interesting with form charms, and leaning more towards the "Martial Arts as a path to enlightenment" rather than "Martial Arts as a path to knocking someone out" angle.

Border of Kaleidoscopic Logic due to simply being so "holy shit, what the fuck is going on" and having a "behold my true form" penultimate charm.

Citrine Poxes of Contagion for having interesting ways of fight, assassinating, having supernatural diseases, wiping out entire nations with supernatural diseases, theoretically having supernatural diseases that infect the soul and persist through all of your reincarnations, and so on.

Hoping to see these three make it into Ex3. I know that the firs two are kind of iconic from 2e, and the third has been there from the start, so here's to hoping.

Charcoal march of spiders allow you to punch everyone in a city twice in the same second. It is the less powerful of the Sidereal Martial Art.

Obsidian Shard of Infinity breaks every rule of the game and has no less than three perfect defenses with no downsides.

Quicksilver Hands of Dream makes reality a dream, with you the lucid dreamer.

Border of Kaleidoscopic Logic Style allows you to become Magical Godzilla, the kind that topple building and break souls just by being here.

depends on if you mean "turns them into a duck" or "force them into, through, or inside a duck"

We know almost nothing, the Merit blurb says they can have various quality of life magics built in, and many of the broad area powers are now part of the Hearthstone rather than the Manse.

I'm thinking about running a game where the PCs are gods who decide to take on the mantles of the Incarnae in order to try and save Creation, should I have the players make original E4-5 spirits or take on the roles of NPC gods? Because one player is making a good case for Little Beam fighting Five Days for dad's job.

Original gods sounds more fun to me, but really it's up to your players.
Is there any reason you couldn't do both?

Would a god of homeless bums have power over homeless bum gods?

I'm worried about players using NPCs getting unique charms that are too powerful.

Can anyone help me to understand Supreme Celestial Focus? I get how it works, but I'm confused about its limitations.

Lets say that I'm Essence 3, and want to use the charm to raise my abilities. Can I only raise a single craft ability from 0 to 3? Can I raise a craft ability from 2 to 5? Can I raise three craft abilities from 0 to 1, or raise one from 0 to 1 and another from 0 to 2? Can I raise three abilities from 0 to 3? Which one is it?

Mirrors/reflections in Obsidian Shards, strings/webs in Charcoal Spiders and how thematically well they fit in with the whole Loom of Fate and the reality fixing deal.

How do you feel about this Infernal Monster expansion? Would you allow it?

pastebin.com/mMWsnXHL

In case someone cares, a clutch of dragons now has anima powers and so on for DBs.docs.google.com/document/d/1V010JsBCcPNV6612dQJ7eVRUj1PLaCJ7FX5XQJ0Av1o/edit

At E1 you can raise [Craft you don't have yet] from nothing to 5. This costs 3gxp for the first dot, and then 2gxp(current dots), so 3 then 2 then 4 then 6, then 8 for a total of 23 gxp. 19 if it's favored.
At E2 you can do this again, raising [different Craft you don't have yet] from 0 to 5, but this time it costs double. So 6 then 4 then 8 then 12 then 16 for a total of 46 gxp. 38 if it's favored.
At E3 you can buy another craft, but the cost does not increase again. This trend continues till you max out on essence or your GM quits in a huff or kills your Solar for abusing Craft.

ghost cestus is in form for solar style yes?

I ask because pankrator's cestus seems to have been singled out as compatible for some reason.

also, and what is pankrator's cestus?

>abusing Craft.

Wouldn't need to be abused if it wasn't so shit.

Since no one's talking about anything, have any of you used Craft extensively in your games? How did it turn out? What interesting things did you make? How did you mange gathering resources?

followup question, does the razor harness count as a weapon? my guess is it does and so cannot be used unless the martial art says it can

final question, do armor or armor-like qualities granted by charms count as armor for disqualifying you from martial arts? I would have thought not, but infernal monster's specific permission makes me question that. ...do lunar knacks then count as armor(assuming the charm doesn't go out of it's way to say it does)?

I like it better than the mess that was 2e, and probably don't have as big of gripes as some other people do around here. I found it works well and actually makes artifacts that are made feel cool rather then just a thing that took a long time to build. Now all we need is a proper book of cool artifacts like the codex from 2e

True, it averts the "Downtime wizard" problem, but I still don't like the Craft ability split and keep trying to pick things to give me the broadest cover, such as masonry, carpentry, and smithing. I'd complain about other things like "What's the difference between a 3 and N/A dot artefact?" and "Just what the fuck is Magitech anyway?" but I'm waiting for Arms to hit before I start criticizing in earnest.

Do you use any craft homebrew or overhauls, or do you just take it as is?

I like it. And I like the craft split mostly because ST to ST it can change to be whatever it wants. It also puts more focus on mundane things instead of the what....fifteen craft skills 2e had?

True, STs can also dictate what Attribute you use for each roll, instead of something codified like Int or Dex. Not sure how I feel about that one to be honest.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume thats just so that attribute exalts can have a bit more breathing room when it comes to craft. Let's face it just about every roll is still gonna be Int, like most every craft charm I can think of that uses an attribute uses int

You're right but I suppose you could make a case for Dexterity (Gemcutting and other fine work) which is already used for destroying Hearthstone and in the Bracers of Universal Crafting.

Who the fuck doesn't max out Dexterity anyways.

>. Let's face it just about every roll is still gonna be Int, like most every craft charm I can think of that uses an attribute uses int

>Building a house with Int
>Smithing a sword with Int
>Painting with Int

Raises a good question: What attributes would you use?

Strenght/Stamina
Strength
Int

>not painting with Charisma

Well I mean if you're a sidereal you paint with your Persuasion so...

Hmm, is there any kind of craft roll you'd use Wits on?

Moonsilver, in a sort of "What the fuck is this metal trying to do" kind of way.

Oh, maybe for making like a puzzle box or something? Or a chest with a false bottom and so on.

anybody care to make(or find) a homebrew dragonblood charm that allows limited manipulation of existing pools of their element? I'm not terribly good at balancing things. thanks

Does any lore break if I state that all akuma are rendered sterile(including ruining their flesh for nemoah) and that mortal akuma are no stronger than demonbloods or modern lintha?

I'd put "sciencey shit" as int rolls, "non-scientific but still clever or complicated" as wits, fine detail or control as dex....

also I suppose you could always use [(attribute+attribute)/2 rounded down] rolls if you're really split on whether something is perception or strength or whatever and only break things for lunars.

The only thing missing would be Akuma learning Celestial and Solar Circle Sorcery, so no more Total Annihilation suicide bombers.

who runs out of motes first, green lantern or the average 2e solar who'd been active a few years?

Green Lantern?

Does the solar have that "turn my shadow into a discount lantern ring" artifact?

Either way, it doesn't matter. Unless greenlantern's bubble is a perfect defense(it isn't) hes fucked

I mean, they'd maybe fight similarly, both playing rocket tag with paranoia combo and mote attrition duels, but they're not in the same league. Solar rockets are nukes not an rpg...try pairing with a dragonblood instead.

I think I saw somebody post some Avatar conversion charms that included bending awhile ago, but the search here is a pain in the ass so you'll have to find it yourself.

So what do you guys think of Lore? Do you like how you're able to grant XP to other players, knowing that you may never get it all back? Do you think its combat support charms are helpful for playing a support character, even if you forgo other combat abilities? What about Wyld Shaping? DO you think it could've been done better?

I know lunar limit breaks are traditionally animal based, but what do you think of these? pastebin.com/UWzVjjMt

Is all of the clutch of dragons thing collected somewhere?

Check the homebrew folder in the OP.

missing the new anima addition

Nigga it's right there.
The file called: ACoD: Aspects

Which decade is best if I'm running Exalted but with modern (1800s to contemporary history) aesthetics? Getting a little bored of sword and sorcery, as that's every game I play right now

If you don't run 1860s-1890s wild west exalted you are a huge faggot and you are not my nigga

SPACE

Is it normal to have a negative intimacy towards circle members?

All of them?

if you've a negative intimacy against all your circle, then why are you traveling with them?

Because the Deathlord we're fighting is empirically worse.

>There was even a combo in 2nd edition known as Creation Slaying Oblivion Kick which lets you punch everything in the universe simultaneously and irrevocably destroy it.

I believe it let you hit them twice :P

I believe it's impossible to use Craft without abusing it, by design.

My current game is using Craft houseruled to heck and back, but in previous ones, we built flying Hogwarts, and baked a cake so delicious people killed themselves by gorging on it.

That's actually a Terrestrial MA. Busted as hell, though.

No. I houseruled and re-wrote the Lore charms to be about instant lyslamming knowledge into people's minds ala The Matrix's "I know Kung-Fu" instead of XP gambling.

Does anyone have the 3e Charm cards?

how powerful is the bonfire that Flight of the Brilliant Raptor leaves behind in play? difficulty 5 4L seems pretty brutal

Do you only have negtive intimacies for them, or alos positive ones?

If you can find some way to stop people moving the hell out of it, it's pretty nasty. I built a grappler with Unburnt Majesty to try and take advantage of it. Never got to play him, though.

1910-ish or space-age
(or i suppose you could also go with the steam and clockwork and flintlocks era)

people keep saying things like that but never share charms

The more that I look at craft, the more I feel that the Solar charmset is meant to abuse it by design. How else can you explain Solars being able to crack out powerful artefacts so quickly and easily, or being able to simply generate craft xp passively?

Yes.
They should. It would be delicious.

I'd say no.

Strength/Stamina
Strength/Into
Charisma/Manipulation

Aren't they in the op? Or are your cards different from the tree?
Do you mean like the basic info of the charm in an info card style?

>Drop fucking firebird on someone
>They try to leave the area
>Just fucking full tackle them back into the fire
>Put them in a headlock
>Don't let them leave

10/10 my sides have smashed the dome of heaven.

>You need to craft one hundred individualized shoes (with individualized owners in mind, and individualized stories) before crafting a glorious solar pumps.
>Unless you are ball deep in the solar craft tree. In that case you just need to snap your fingers.
>Infinite XP loop in the craft tree.

We all understand the intent behind the new craft: to make crafting something worthwhile, difficult, and rewarding. We all understand that 2e was flawed in that it was too easy to mass produce artifacts, and not enough thoughts were made to make the artifacts unique.

We all understand that (bitch).

The implementation of that intent is the worst thing to have ever graced 3e. It is a fractally flawed implementation, with issues over issues over issues over issues, until the system is only a big piles of issues with no good design decision in sight. It doesn't work. It won't work, even with the best ST in mind. It is that bad.

You are confusing intent with implementation. The intent is good. The implementation won't work.

So what's the best way to run Exalted 3e games online? Roll20 seems like the default but I dunno if I'm a huge fan of it, is there anything more suitable?

On that note, any suggestions for helping people who are new to Exalted wrap their heads around it, I'm trying to help my players get into it, but some are having issues really understanding it.

Pretty much. Craft thinks that having stupid shit like endlessly recursive non-bonus charm die is a good idea. Barely any of the charms give you the sense that "I am a legendary artificer"; you get Melee charms, and boom, you're a better fighter. Get Craft charms, and you've gotten -1 gold xp cost for your next project or some other boring thing.

Why didn't they just use the Sorcerous Workings template for Craft and drop all the dice tricks?

There's also the discord platform or skype. Hell I use mIRC even

Personally, I'd prefer the difficulty of creating artifacts being mostly due to them requiring specific materials and tools that are hard to obtain. You need to make your artifact out of something strange and powerful, and you probably need something more than a regular hammer, anvil and forge to workthose materials. This should be enough to prevent fast and easy mass-produciton of artifacts. It would also help if there were more worthwhile things you could do with Craft aside from creating artifacts.

What do you use for dice? A bot of some sort, or an external site?

Probably the fact that Craft being a broken, convoluted mess keeps Solars as the unequivocal best due to having a charmset build around scything through most of the craft system itself. At Essence 1, with the right charms, a specialty, will two stunt dice will be able to successfully craft a 5 dot artefact just under 75% of the time, and will only become more competent as time goes on. While we don't have craft charms for other Exalts yet, it's unlikely that they'll be able to approach that level until they're at higher levels of essence.

The SW system, in contrast, allows even Terrestrials to attempt Solar Workings and have a decent chance if they have enough Sorcerous Means. I love, the SW system, it's great,but I don't think that it's a panacea for broken, nonfunctional systems. It's really its own thing.

On IRC? A dicebot. It was known as HammersIRC Exalted bot, but one of my players is a computer programmer and has heavily retooled it.

I'd share, but right now I'm on a vacation computer and the IRC on this computer doesn't have the dicebot program installed. When the player comes online tomorrow I'll ask if he'll give it to me and see if I can throw it up here.

I thought working could only be up to one higher than your current level like at best terrestrial sorcerers can finale a celestial working. or have I been reading that wrong

trying to get a handle on exalted, as people more experienced with the system, what's the average feat of strength you'd say an average solar pc can just about make most of the time?

what about average difficulty on other rolls?

how does this differ from 2 to 3e?

There's no average Solar PC.

A Solar PC ball deep into feat of strength charms can ass rape a thirty foot tall giantess and restrain her by her huge muscles.

A Solar PC that has no focus on feat of strength will be able to lift a small rock out of the surface of Creation, or something like that.

I mean the Third Edition Charm Card pdfs.

Terrestrial Scorcerers are locked out of Solar Circle workings of Ambition 3. (P. 488)

Any charm set built around the idea of circumventing an entire broken system instead of working with it is a bad charm set, without even taking into consideration the infinite XP loops and other bullshit.

Solars having charms giving them bonuses is perfectly fine. Solars having charms avoiding the entire system because it is so fucking broken is a band-aid. Solars having charms avoiding the entire system and adding even more brokenness is moronic.

Real talk: does Dreaming Pearl Courtesan Style count as Sidereal? I feel like 3e might have it in mind to change the definitions for martial arts, having already reworked the Terrestrial/Celestial/Immaculate definitions.

Regardless, I do like the style. I feel like they started from "lets have three social-themes MAs, one for each of the Social attributes" and ended up with something entertainingly weird for Appearance.

How do you handle improvised weapons? I'm considering making it "if you can succeed at the feat of strength plus one difficulty higher to account for carrying it -without me feeling the need to ever make you roll- you may use it as an improvised weapon"

I don't think so, I imagine SMAs will still be their own weird thing so as to not be hobbled by having to make a version accessible to the lower tiers.

SMAs shouldn't have a Mastery keyword or anything, they should just be flat inaccessible to most splats.

I feel like we could add those two numbers and divide by two to obtain an average, or instead chose to answer him with an estimated mode(which would be more inline with the spirit of the question)

No, it's strictly Celestial.

Are you thinking of "Quicksilver Hand of Dreams"?

Why would you need a feat of strength test to carry around a six inch long shiv?

you don't. but you might if you tried to insist you could carry a log, in which case you can't do it unless you're just THAT inhuman it makes no difference.