mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/...

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/TYP_Intro0227.pdf
dandwiki.com/wiki/Sorcadin(5e_Optimized_Character_Build)
planescape.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

For dice? I live in a college town, so there are probably some underground fa/tg/uys nearby, but I have no dice.

For those who have it, what are people's impressions of the Tales from the Yawning Portal?

It's 11:30 on the eastern seaboard, I don't think any of my shops are even open yet buddy.

Funny enough I ended up running the Sunless Citadel last year after a party wipe so I want to see what updates they've made.

Yeah, but some people have already got copies.

Is assassin rogue archetype is good or it's outshined by swashbuckler?

The way I see it is that Assassin is strong if you're regularly making use of its abilities, which you usually Don't do in a typical party makeup/campaign

Are hit points to go up linearly or exponentially? As in, is it Number + Con Mod * Level or Number + Con Mod * Level For each Level?

Or is a Level 2 barbarian with a +2 in Con supposed to have 23 HP or 32

Has anyone tried to use 3d6 or 5d4 instead of the d20, if so, how did it go?

New thread, so,
>>What should I take for Maneuvers? I was thinking Riposte, Parry, and Disarm.

Alright, quick question.
Manacles, rope, etc. have designated hit-points right? Theoretically, couldn't someone just punch something many times in a row go break something apart?

you start with your max hit dice+CON mod at first level. as a barbarian at level 1 with 14 CON (+2 mod) you would have 14 hit points. after that you can either roll for HP or, more often than not, take the average of the dice (which is 7 for barbarian) and add your CON. so each level after 1st, you gain 7+CON mod HP. increasing your con also retroactively increases your HP for each hit dice.

so at 2nd level you should have 23 hit points. if you CON increases to 16, your hit points change to 25. hope that helps!

I've been reading trough the Roll20 version of Tales of the Yawning Portal, and overall I really like everything that's been done.

The maps are beautiful, the adventures look pants on head crazy, and the loot is plentiful.

What I don't like is that there is a lot of only Monster Manual creatures all over the place, with a few custom ones where they couldn't get away with it I guess.
Also true that I don't know what the original adventures were like, but would like if there would be notes for DM's on "XX from Volo's guide would fit perfectly here instead of xx" or whatever.

And they aren't already SHARING

3d6 would not work for this system because it is based on "20". As for 5d4 I never ran any playtests myself. It would be obviously far harder to hit criticals and would make the game, I suppose, more difficult?

Also would like to add that the book holds your hand so fucking much on these adventures, its amazing, you literally cannot fuckup.

You swap any mentions 20 out for 18 on 3d6 usually. 19-20 is now 17-18 etc.

Thanks, some people in my group got info that it was the other way (cited from convention players), and I found contradicting statements for both versions, though I can't find it now. The second way allows for way better player HP scaling but the way it's worded in thr PHB is really ambiguous

It would make it much easier to hit and be hit with attack rolls, but also much easier for everything to make saves, due to your 5-20 range (high minimum)

Menacing Attack is probably the most powerful maneuver. Frightened is a fucking annoying condition to be afflicted with.
I would consider picking this maneuver up just for its incredible potential.

Parry really isn't super good since it only reduces the damage you take. Like the Monk's Deflect Missiles but worse; has a resource cost and lower potential.
Defensive Duelist is a better Parry, but there's better things to spend your ASIs on.

Riposte is neat for high AC characters, good choice.

Disarm can be done outside of a maneuver if your DM allows the Disarm action from the DMG.
Best use of Disarm is for a Solid Snake type character who also has Tavern Brawler; unarmed attack, Disarm if it hits, bonus action grapple, free object interaction to kick their weapon away (or grab it to use against them).

Commander's Strike can be considered if you're going to be working with a melee Rogue. Otherwise kind of underwhelming.

Goading Attack seems a nice fit for the duelist stereotype, but Menacing Attack is better and can be used in a similar way.

An user posted the ToC and was posting requested pages like one or two threads ago.

Linear.

The reason the text is odd is that it's designed to tell you the total without having to add up each level of health.
So if you're arbitrarily making an 8th level character, it's however you calculate HP at first level + 7 (each level beyond first) * (Hit Die + Con mod)

It's poor wording, I know, but that's the idea.

I don't think anybody would willingly do this ever. Rolling multiple dice removes the lower range of the numbers, decreases the chance of getting low and high results, and increases the chance of getting middle results.

What you mean is that it gets less swingy because of the inherent bell curve distribution, instead of the linear distribution of a d20.

>Best use of Disarm is for a Solid Snake type character who also has Tavern Brawler

I need this. Should I go Scout over Battlemaster for flavor and pick up the Disarm maneuver with Martial Adept?

3d6 is brought up fairly often in d20 games, its not some new made up thing no one has done before.

If your DM would accept Scout, you might want to consider the spell-less Ranger. It's basically the PHB Ranger trading spells for maneuvers and some non-magical healing.

That's the big part, but I think user was also just referring to how there's no 1 2 3 or 4 in 5d4 and no 1 2 19 or 20 in 3d6

Which incredibly favors the players, so why wouldn't the players do it?

You go from a 5% chance to crit to a 0.5% chance to crit. Why not flip a coin to decide if you hit or miss instead. If it gets stuck on it's side somewhere then it can count as a crit.

Keep in mind that you need STR for unarmed attack if you're not a Monk. Also important for Athletics if you're going to grapple.

Oh shit true. I'll put it on the Revised Ranger and use that. I can perform an Disarm on everyone if I go Hunter with Whirlwind which is kinda funny even is less then useful.

Or see of I can convince him that I should go Deepstalker and swap spell list for Magic Unarmed attacks.

>0.5%

ACKSHUALLY....

>ACKSHUALLY

>You go from a 5% chance to crit to a 0.5% chance to crit
user, you need to math a little better, and play the game a lot more.
The players do not crit.
The DM does, and it is ALWAYS far, far worse. Solidly reliability in saves and attacking are absolutely in the players favor, because the outliers punish the players, not aid them.

Order of the woke mystic is bad. you can solve all mysteries instantly like a psychic scooby doo

If any of you who faught in arena last time want to continue please reply

Good.

As I tried to allude to with the coin flip recommendation, I was trying to say you're draining the gambling-esque fun out of it. The best times in life are when you get to experience swings between highs and lows.

Not everyone likes the incredible swinginess of d20s, user, and your attitude that the most swingy dice of them all is the only way to have fun smacks of ignorance.

I would rather eat my armor than admit that I'm wrong.

I played a campaign using Fantasy Age which is a 3d6 system and it was boring as fuck. Since you hit so consistently they made all the enemies enormous health sponges.

The entire stunt point system was added on to compensate for how fucking boring 3d6 rolling gets.

Hm... I -might- take Disarm anyhow, after looking at the DMG. I'm playing a houseruled-in Ratfolk à la PF, so I'm size Small, which'd mean I'd have Disadvantage on disarming medium or larger creatures with the DMG version. Menacing Attack would be fucking broken with Swashbuckler though, since I could use it in concert with Panache, though I agree Goading Attack seems more RP-appropriate to a charismatic duelist musketeer type.

I remember reading a discussion on this topic on these boards some time ago and bottom line was the system isn't balanced around the alternatives.

Just wanted to thank the user who uploaded the maps from Tales from the Yawning Portal to the mega, thanks user.

Looking forward to the art and tokens too. Thanks a lot.

>the system isn't balanced

You can say that again!

What players actually want is not a summetric distribution like these. You want to move the probability peak closer to the high end, but still keep the low end results (1,2,3 etc) just make them rarer. When these become rare, critical miss becomes fun, criticals become something you can build a character around

So I'm wanting to play a LG Paladin, not lawful stupid, but have never run a Paladin before. What are some good feats and spells to run other than smite?

Sorcadin all the way.

>Spells
Most of the time, you will not be casting spells at all, other than bless or shield of faith. You smite instead.
As for feats, most of powergamers here will advise you great weapon polearm master, but I did just fine with a shield master.

Can someone with the Tales from the Yawning Portal book/roll20 module say what levels the adventures are intended for?

How exactly do warlocks fit into a non-evil party?

Easily.

I had figured smite would be the main, and I just wasn't sure if there was anything other than the two listed that are a good idea.

As for powergaming yeah I'm not sure if I wanted to do a sword and board or go for pole arm style.

How's this for a cool new wizard spell?

For what its worth, 5e isn't balanced for feats. So a party with several "optimized" characters running Sharpshooter, GWM etc. will have to have their encounters specifically balanced for them.

I should also mention it's a one shot where we start at level 15.

I buy them off e-bay from China for literally 2 dollars, free shipping

That preview got put up a while ago
>media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/TYP_Intro0227.pdf

Should be:

>Components: V, S, M (naturally carbonated water)

Oh, take a look if you like this build:
dandwiki.com/wiki/Sorcadin(5e_Optimized_Character_Build)

True but it's what we've always run, also it'll be against a CR 24, and

Oh thanks that explains everything.

I don't see the issue. Unless you meant the fiend warlock specifically. That's pretty evil.

that's... actually pretty funny!

Warlock don't need to be evil. Aside from Infernal patron the other patrons are neutral, you can just be that guy that knows weird stuff.

Or the guy who don't really know why he can use magic.

Read Brimstone Angels, you can totally be a non-evil Fiend Warlock

I made a Neutral Good Warlock with Fiend pact which I explained as his ancestor was the one who made the pact on the condition that it would carry over unto the seventh generation of his progeny, and through a one night stand with a bar wench a very nice village boy got the surprise of his fucking life when he turned 16 and found out he has a family history of warlockery.

good idea actually

The way warlocks get their power really leaves them open to come up literally with any excuse as to why they have their power.

reposting from last thread:

What's the best way to build a Hexblade? Is dual wielding feasible? I really don't want to rely on cursebringer either since I only rolled two good stats and that would make me a little MAD. Before racials I have the following:

Well when your only condition is "convinced something, somewhere, to give it to me" you can get away with a lot of shit.

Maybe you got drunk and pissed on a shrine to Pelor and Orcus liked your style, maybe you sacrifice babies to Shub Niggurath beneath a gibbous moon, it's all the same mechanically.

So i'm trying to figure out a good way to give an aspiring bard a dying curse. Anyone have any reasons a bard would be afflicted with a curse this powerful?

So if either a pit fiend or a balor can be your patron, what happens if you just kill them? Do you lose your powers?
How many warlocks can a balor even maintain? They aren't that strong.

Or a GOO pact Warlock who got his power from some Flumphs. They're always absorbing terrible knowledge, and when he saved them they were happy to help by gifting it all to him.

He wrote and performed a play lampooning the Warlock King of Darkbadia and the guy was SUPER pissed about it.

But sending his armies would make him look petty, so he cursed him with wasting death instead.

His songs were so bad that even the gods were annoyed by him.

My friend played a Archfey Warlock who got his powers when he was tricked into marrying a hag. After escaping her, but still under their "marriage contract" he can still use the powers and he only referred to his patron as his "Ex-wife".

"I use Fey presence to project the fearsome visage of my ex-wife".

Fun times

He heard a really sad song.

It's a perfectly mythically accurate reason for a dying curse, but it doesn't stop him being really embarrassed by it.

How I envision him: A sun elf noble and evoker with a forceful personality and a sly sense of humor, who likes to flirt with the ladies a bit too much.

He sees magic as a means to an end, and cares little for magical theory and study, and so most of his prepared spells are simple and flashy (fireball, invisibility, bigby's hand etc). Not overly fond of enchantment spells, prefers to use his 12 charisma to win over the women instead.

Often times he gets too caught up in adventures to bother to study or increase his skill in the Art back at the Tower of the Sun on Evermeet. His father is stuffy and pushy and often demands his son return to Leuthilspar "this instant". Loosely affiliated with the Harpers, but prefers to have wealthy backers/companions so he can travel in style.

The question is, lads, what do I name him?

>My family comes from a long line of paladins of Lathander. >Growing up I was constantly force fed Lathander this Lathander that. >Get pissed run away from home. >Bane sees an opportunity to strike down a family of paladins from within. >Grow up and realize Bane needs to GTFO. >Ask Lathander for help. >Priests Lathander perform a ritual through me to destroy every single warlock of Bane across the world. >Die a hero.

Incredible. I love it so much.

I'm thinking of doing an Adventure League for the first time, is there anything specific I should know in advance?

Golbringar Silvertonge

Lysan Glitterflit

I like this one, how does this sound she came in contact with cursed sheet music that when played caused her to become cursed.

Those are pretty good actually!

you're better off just eldritch blasting instead of twf, unless you really just want to for flavor points or unless your DM allows you to have two pact weapons.

cursebringer is really the major reason to go hexblade. if you do go that route, go STR 16 DEX 12 CON 12 INT 9 WIS 10 CHA 17. go drow for 14 DEX and 18 CHA. get fiend sight and cast darkness on your armor and just go to town smiting down enemies in a dark fog and bump STR at every opportunity. alternatively, you could just pick any race that gets a good STR bonus. half orc lets you crit better, bugbear for reach, or dragonborn for better CHA and a breath weapon. duergar could also be a good choice for starting with 18 STR. triton is also really good for your build. if you can't get a 14 DEX to get the most out of your medium armor thats fine, -1 AC isn't that big of a deal and you're mostly in to deal damage rather than tank.

if you're allergic to cursebringer that bad, go something with +2 DEX and get a shield+warcaster. 19 AC with a high CON will make you fairly hard to kill and your invocations will mean that you won't be too flimsy slapping around your sword. if your DM allows multiclassing, dip 2 or 3 levels into paladin for smite and a fighting style. some of the level 1 paladin spells are pretty useful too.

>Bane needs to GTFO

He's necessary evil.

Tbh I'm okay with that. The DM should be able to provide a perfect grognard experience without being a grognard

He's the necessary big guy.

planescape.com/

seriously tho, holy shit

Please anons, tell me how the furg did the gith beat the mind flayers. Their abilities have nothing that can stand up to them.

Yeah Bane needs to GTFO, but I know that's impossible. That's why I'm taking down all his warlocks with me. Also I fail at greentext.

I get it.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE

numbers and it being unexpected.