D&D's Lesser Halfbreeds

The Half-Elf. The Half-Orc. We all know these races, they've been in the game in almost every single edition since the name switched from "Chainmail" to "Dungeons & Dragons", as far as I'm aware. But... is it fair that they're the only halfbreed races to have any real prominence?

I mean, if you're willing to dig deep, there are actually stats for less iconic half-breeds. Half-Dwarves have two different incarnations; their Dragonlance versions from 3.5's Races of Ansalon, and the more famous Muls of Dark Sun. Dragonlance also has Half-Gnomes (aadmittedly based on their gawdawful tinker gnomes) and Half-Goblins. A D20 setting called Kingdoms of Kalamar had Half-Hobgoblins as more or less replacing Half-Orcs.

And yet... doesn't this make sense? I mean, typical gnomes are gregarious, inquisitive, friendly towards humans and pretty "try anything" minded - wouldn't you expect a few gnome/human dalliances? Dwarves are conservative-minded, yeah, but they do traditionally get on well with humans - why is the idea of them pairing up so implausible? Goblins and hobgoblins have much the same social structure as orcs, so why are their half-human progeny an impossibility? Heck, the Tallfellow and Stout halfling subraces were, in editions past, all but stated outright to be the result of kinky sex between halflings and elves or dwarves; stupid jokes about the name beside, why couldn't there be a similar "human-blooded" offshoot of the halfling race?

In short... do you think D&D should give us more half-breeds to play around with? And what half-breeds do you wanna see?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/subject/Oversized Weapon Quest/
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/29277103/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Talking of Krynnish half-goblins... we all know Kender are absolute crap, and we all know why (pic related). But, I have to wonder: looking at the half-goblin race, are they perhaps better than kender? I mean, I know that isn't exactly a high hurdle to clear, but as Dragonlance races tend towards the crappy end of the scale, still, isn't this a fairly decent bit of racial fluff?

Half-goblins are typically confident, self-assured, and filled with a zealous drive to surpass themselves and their heritage. This may strike a curious contrast to their poor Charisma, but in truth, their expression of their own divided bloodline comes across to most others as overbearing, arrogant, or aggressive. This can score them points in societies that value or respect this kind of approach, but most of the civilized races of Ansalon see half-goblins as very obnoxious until they reveal more of themselves.

A half-goblin will see the bigger picture when confronted by a gulf between any two groups, so he pushes the issue whenever the question of taking sides comes up. He will suggest that a compromise can be reached or that both sides must come together to oppose a larger problem.

Half-goblins have no independent society or culture. They adopt the social traditions of the people among whom they were raised, but they continually seek more. Unlike many other mixed-race characters, half-goblins have no internal conflict. Instead, they see conflict in the world around them. For a half-goblin, the ideal society would be one combining both goblins and humans, settled and nomadic, enabling the half-goblin to be part of a group that meets all of his cultural needs.

>why is the idea of them pairing up so implausible?
Because Tolkien didn't have these. Let's just forget for a second that he also never really had half-elves.

Come again?

He's an elf with a human parent, like his brother was a human with an elven parent.

That is what a half elf is.

Elrond is an elf. He shares the extended lifespan of an elf, the fate of an elf after death, because he chose to be an elf. That one of his parents was a human made it possible for him to make this choice. But at the end of the day he's an elf. Tolkiens half-elves don't work like DnD or any other half-elf.

I've always let my players make their own half breeds as long as both parents were humanoid (Minus egg layers and mammal children). Usually their character followed the same trope of
>I'm very different and kind of an outcast
which has worked out so far. It adds an added layer of player interaction when DMing. I can now have most NPCs regard their weird PC with some kind of mysticism, and their half-breed can be as unique as they want it, citing
>Unusual breed = Unusual Characteristics

The worst try on halfbreeds I ever saw was with a player in shadowrun.

He tried to justify a half-elf with the boni of both human and elf, with the small cost of just the human.

Context: In shdowrun are no half-breeds, trolls, humans, dwarfs, orcs and elves can breed, but the child alway belongs to one of the parent races.

Truth be told, Id like to see this aproach kinda in the classic fantasies too. Allow more halfbreeds, but don't give them all special rules. Give them fluff.

From a biology perspective they are interesting, but it lends to the possibility of being fetish or magical realm. If you approach it just from an interest perspective then it's alright I think.

Probably my favorite half-character was a half-troll. Really neat to play and fun how the DM implemented it, even if it was really magical realm how it happened.

More accurately in shadowrun there are no half breeds because all the metahumans be they troll ork or elf are fundamentally human, the only difference is the how their metagenes express.

>gawdawful tinker gnomes
Tinker gnomes are the only gnomes worth having at all. If your gnomes are not tinker gnomes, better not include them at all.

Dear, OP, pray tell, are you aware where that image comes from? A simple yes or no will suffice.

Gnomes as the tinkering race? Sure, no complaints there. Gnomes as an entire race of bungling inventors who prize failure over success and consider nonsensical Rube Goldbergenesque contraptions the height of technology? Fuck that noise.

Not in the slightest. I found it in a goblin thread here on Veeky Forums once upon a time.

>Tolkiens half-elves don't work like DnD
They work like half-elves in... first edition? In that one, "half-elf" was pure fluff and you either picked elf stats or human stats.

I didn't know about Elrond and his brother before now, but that new information fits.

Like all Half-Orcs are born from rape, all Half-Goblins should be born from prostitutes accidentally impregnated by a Goblin client

>Not in the slightest.
Good. Keep it that way.

>In short... do you think D&D should give us more half-breeds to play around with? And what half-breeds do you wanna see?
There are sourcebooks for every edition that have lists of the damn things if you bother to look, user.

They work like half-elves or the high men in Rolemaster, where they may chose elf kingdom and learning and lifespan, or human kingdom and learning and lifespan.

>and learning and lifespan
>and learning and lifespan

Not OP but now you got me curious. an image search only comes up with a DA page saying it was a commissioned image. I don't see what the big deal is.

There is nothing of value to be found is Dragonlance, especially not the god-awful tinker gnomes.

It tracks back to something ban-worthy. But image alone without context is innocent, obviously.

>ban-worthy
Goddamnit user, now I'M curious.

This might be dipping into magical realm territory, but in my settings, kobolds draconic heritage allows them to produce halfbreeds with most small humanoid races.
However, this quirk of theirs is universally unknown since kobolds are xenophobic and the thought of fuggin non kobolds disgusts them...
Sooooo yeah, Magical realm headcanon.

Yoi can't just drop a hint and nothing else, tell us the full story.

If tinker gnomes are godawful, then gnomes have no right to exist.

>wanting more miscegenation

kill yourself desu fampai

Quests, user. It's the main character of a quest.

>not wanting hybrid vigor

>implying implications

Muls were pretty awesome...

And...?

Just gonna leave this to your imagination

For dwarves, it usually boils down to them being a literal different species from humanity: wheres elves and orcs are biologically close enough to humans that from a scientific perspective one could consider them subspecies, dwarves are at least as distantly related to man as the gorilla.

Warcraft manages to make tinker gnomes non-autistic, but Dragonlance's suck because their philosphy defeats the point of technology in the first place.

No, it's: "we don't want to clog up the book with 300 fucking sub races and half breeds."

WotC isn't going to publish a 100 page missive explaining why elf and orc cum is special.

TELL ME.

What?

It's just the protagonist of a quest. Stop being a melodramatic faggot about it. It's a cool image.

Quest?

>people are still ass mad over quests

sad

archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/subject/Oversized Weapon Quest/

That was a good one.
I especially liked the haunted house idea.

Here is link for the first thread
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/29277103/
Haven't read yet, just found it

So this is a 'quest'?