sgiz.mobi/s3/068d0a122041

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
Thread question: We've all seen sewers. What's your most/least favorite monster, mechanic, plot, or gimmick from a sewer setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HE93zWIkW_8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yochlol
youtube.com/watch?v=AsDmBEjkU4U
youtube.com/watch?v=0_C2HJvtRDY
youtube.com/watch?v=LB5YkmjalDg
youtube.com/watch?v=Niu9Zmrx0p8
youtu.be/4mC7j-fxqfs?t=12m52s
youtube.com/watch?v=ec0XKhAHR5I
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Art_of_War_Magic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What's your most/least favorite monster,

worst
Rats

Best
R.O.U.S

Favorite has got to be the Gelatinous Cube of poop.

Fuck SKR has a hand in Tales. Fuck.

carrion crawlers

My favourite trope is a cult hiding in the sewers, so there's that.

Hell yeah.
youtube.com/watch?v=HE93zWIkW_8

He had a hand in VGM, too. He's had a minor roll in WotC for like two years now.

So we just had a character who was off in a sniper position disappear.

Rolled a nat 1 on first attack, nat 1 on second attack, and we do a thing where we roll a d20 to determine how good/bad the crit/crit fail was, which was also a nat 1. Odds are 1/8000.

The body wasn't there, so I'm intrigued as to where we go from here.

>9th level spell at level 14 as an Arcana Theurge

Hmmmmmmm.

Cool, sure would be fun playing a character that was just deleted from the universe for completely unknown reasons because I rolled 3 1s.

zombies. because thats mean you're likely getting campaign/encounter ideas from tse

> crits fail
Sure fun to have a fullcaster party (unless your players are idiots)

Literally wat.

So I picked up Yawning Portal today, and I gotta say the dungeons are fucking awesome as expected. I'm so happy players will finally have to deal with traps and puzzles as well as the logistical issues that come from running a massive dungeon that 5E has mostly avoided so far in official material. I think I've only seen maybe 2 traps in the time I've been playing in the AL and through two entire hardcovers. People who grew up on 5E will finally get to experience the glory of the 10 foot pole.

The sewers are all full of slimes that are secretly digesting the biological materials and excreting drinkable water. That's why surprisingly few people have cholera and friends. Rich and powerful people know about this and have secretly encouraged it.

You're telling me you've never fought a Gelatinous Cube that has become something of a diarrhea monster because it was in a sewer or at the bottom of some kobold toilet?

No, because of what said
Otyughs, slimes, and other waste-cleaning monsters are quite useful. If a shit-elemental (quasielemental plane of ooze exists) got into a sewer it'd overload the damned thing.

What the literal fuck is pic related? Are we Bloodborne now?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yochlol

That was my first thought, but it's just a 'semintelligent polyp' that functions like a roper.

My party fought a Poop Weird once. A water weird that was inhabiting a sewer. My fighter's longbow ended up falling into it, and my DM made it a unique magical "Shitty Bow" from then on. I think it does Poison damage now.

>Buy TftYP
>Love it
>Turn to page 190
>Try finding numbers
>MY FUCKING EYES

WHY?

If you haven't fought a poop monster at least once, you haven't lived.

>The sentient slime who enjoys eating

Gray Ooze have an int of 1 and aren't smart enough to even understand the concept of language, let alone the idea of an establishment that uses a currency to exchange for goods and services.

How are the dungeons awesome?

Clearly that Ooze was a rare mutation with 6 int which is why it longs to explore the world.

Wizards should make a Bloodborne-inspired supplement, I would play the shit outta that.

>When you DM improv yourself into a corner but it's about time to end the session anyways and then while driving home you think of the perfect ass-pull to resolve the issue next session
"Silly adventurers, your initial perception checks weren't enough to discover the secret passage, but now that the big bad is dead it opens right up!"

Generally large in a way most 5E dungeons haven't been (even the Forge of Fury is probably about the size of Ravenloft), lots of interesting enemies, traps, and puzzles mostly. It just feels like a refreshing change of pace from how most 5E official stuff has been built so far since it's drawing from old-school roots quite faithfully. It's nice to have a book full of (mostly) huge dungeons to capture that dungeon crawl experience that 5E has been lacking.

There's more going on. The rest of us don't know what's going on, but the DM and those involved do.

>transmutation wizard pulls a heist

SKR?

everybody shut up and post your current parties' theme song

youtube.com/watch?v=AsDmBEjkU4U

My girlfriend loves ratties so I can only run them as cute pets who are never in danger

I replaced the rat swarms in CoS with swarms of hedgehogs

youtube.com/watch?v=0_C2HJvtRDY

Late to the party but you could probably get some mileage from that Innistrad supplement.

youtube.com/watch?v=LB5YkmjalDg

I NEED ENCOUNTER IDEAS

RIVER CROSSING TOWN, OR FOREST+FOOT-HILLS

I NEED THEM BY TOMORROW MORNING

ALSO BADASS PICTURES OF GOATS

Current party is made up of a bunch of friends I've been with since gradeschool.

youtube.com/watch?v=Niu9Zmrx0p8

>Are you man enough?

That's just cheating, user, "Are you man enough?" could be the theme song for d&d in general.

youtu.be/4mC7j-fxqfs?t=12m52s

They won't leave the safety of the city...

For the river crossing town how about a festival where the town has a feast in boats on the river.

Unfortunately sahuagin raiders with pet swarms of piranhas are attacking so the players need to jump from boat to boat to save the towns people

I have this player who's being a dick about stuff like
>My character wouldn't risk his life to go into that cave! No I'll stay outside!
>My character's lifestyle is too high-class to enter that sewer, no way he's going in!
I've tried giving him McGuffins relevant to his character's ideals, but he always seems to play it off like he doesn't really care or it's a reasonable sacrifice to retain his dignity.

Pretty much the only thing that will take him into a dangerous situation is if one of his own family is in danger, but I don't want this to be a campaign dedicated to saving Asshole's family members. I'm bordering on just saying "Okay sit outside the dungeon" and playing for a few hours while he just sits there... Any suggestions?

It's a great feeling! It's also how I roleplay smart villains- I don't have to be as smart as them if I just spend all week thinking about what they're gonna go.

As the party is crossing the river at night, they hear a prospector singing nearby. Should they investigate, they find an old man with a bucket of gold, saying he panned it from the river, which secretly overflows with gold at this phase of the moon.
He's actually a youkai!
If they try to steal the gold, he transforms and fights them! Use Oni stats.
If they try to prospect alongside him, they get 2d20 gold over the course of an hour, but eventually the river rises up and threatens to drown them!
If they decide it's too suspicious, well, bugger them.

Has he done anything annoying or illegal? You could send a bunch of assassins after him and have them attack any time he splits from the party.

If he wants to go off by himself he can fight three men with poisoned daggers, or he can stick with the group.

Have you tried talking to him?

Have a serious adult talk with him about the expectation of a cooperative roleplaying game for the purpose of everybody's mutual enjoyment?

If he's going to choose to not participate in the social contract you are impled to have signed, then ask him not to play.

Act in a way that fits the character, but not to the detrement of people's fun. Even your own.

Tell him to make a new character who's more willing to go into creepy/weird places, because that's the point of the fucking game. If he's so concerned, he should show it through roleplaying by overpreparing to go into such places, actually helping the party by doing so.

Shit always falls apart when a PC casts charm person. I have no idea how to deal with roleplaying an NPC who suddenly needs to be friendly.

>RIVER CROSSING TOWN

Boat raider fights user, boat raider fights! The town is being attacked by bandits on boats, so you have to fight them gondola to gondola!

Many many Goblins with canoes and grappling hooks stage a surprise attack on the bridge town... 1/6 chance that any individual goblin makes it onto the bridge (roll for it), the rest meet grisly, hilarious ends from getting chewed up by the rapids, snagging on rocks, slipping on their wet ropes, hitting pillars, etc.
Have goblins with different weapons, alchemists' fire, cages of wild stirges, etc.
Meanwhile the hobgoblin orchestrators sneak in from the river bank in disguise, or ninja costumes or whatever, taking advantage of the distraction to steal the mayor's daughter for ransom. She is also a sorceress who is unaware of her powers, and will become a potential ally when she is awakened, if the power doesn't go to her head (chaotic neutral).

>about to be dropped into the middle of a kobald v. dwarf battlefield
>mfw it ain't me starts playing

youtube.com/watch?v=ec0XKhAHR5I

Anons! Long story short, Dragon #291 had subraces for the gnome in the form of River Gnomes and Arcane Gnomes. I got dared to try and convert them to 5th edition. How incredibly overpowered are these first drafts?

River Gnome Subrace:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Dexterity
Waterborn: You have a Swim speed of 30 feet.
Deep Diver: You can hold your breath for 4 + Constitution modifier minutes, instead of the normal 1 + Constitution modifier minutes.

Arcane Gnome Subrace:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Charisma
Mage-Trained: You have Proficiency in Intelligence (Arcana).
Magic in the Blood: You can cast the Prestidigitation cantrip and 1 other Wizard cantrip of your choice. Intelligence is your casting ability score when casting cantrips granted to you by this trait.

You guys mind throwing some critique on my awful homebrew race?

I know it's a bit high powered. Looking for ways to cut it down without having to give up all the flexability.

>have you talked to him?
Yes that's the obvious answer I guess I should have considered. I have spoken with him, but the issue is that he's somewhat new to the game and new to RP in general and I think he's taking his character ideals a little too strictly.
This is the second character he's made, first being a street beggar who tries to help everyone. I think maybe he's just getting a feel for the extremes.
Perhaps it's my fault. One of the ideals for this character is that "Family matters more than anything" so I think I need to explain to him that ideals are a general guideline on how your character acts... not a set in stone rule on what he can and cannot do.

I'd give it a stong Quintessence out of Quintessence.

>Yes that's the obvious answer I guess I should have considered.
No worries, it's good to ask for direction and suggestions, instead of just bringing up to them 'hey your character's not really playing ball.'

please see again
>act in a way that fits the character, but not to the detriment of people's fun. Even your own.

River is UP, Arcane is OP.

How do you guys feel about a guy who intentionally gimps his character for the sake of a character quirk?

We've got one in our group who roleplays an intense fear of the undead and willfully imposes the frightened condition on himself whenever they're present.

While I'm enjoying it as DM, a few of our players are getting pretty annoyed and blame everything wrong on them.

Can someone help me out with an idea on how high level wizards would operate if there was a war?

Backdrop, there are five kingdoms. One mostly human, one made of dwarfs and wood elves, one only orcs, one only drow and one with high elf rulers that have various blocs made up of gnomes, tieflings, the other races without kingdoms. The High Elves are pretty tuned in with magic, but every group has at least a few mages of decent caliber. Most mages are associated with the Arcane Guild, with headquarters in a border city of the Human and Dwarf/Wood Elf border. So 95% of mages are politically neutral, with the other 5% being House Wizards/Sorcerers/Warlocks. The conflict would be the High Elves vs the Human/Dwarf/Wood Elf alliance, to put the lines there.

So i'm reading through the Yawning Portal right now, and i'm wondering something. Every map says 1 square = 10 feet., would it fuck up the dungeons if i did 1 square = 5 ft.? makes a lot more sense to me. particularily in the Tomb of Horrors, it seems to make the rooms too big.

Put cute yaks instead

For the most part, no, it shouldn't matter that much. Just be careful doing that in rooms with traps and/or environmental hazards as that may make them too hard, or too easy (as is the case with the super tetanus room in White Plume).

Is the new tomb of horrors still bullshit?

yeah that makes sense. it's just tricky to convert to a grid for players since a player takes up roughly half of a square

>sahuagin
FRESH WATER?
or do they do that in 5e?

I used kuo-toa 2 sessions ago...

done nothing with goblins yet, it's pretty good. is there something a litter higher-scaled than hobs? they seem too weak for my current players

how do people calculate damage from rocks rolling down stairs.

Read the "Art of Warmagic" from Morrowind.

en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Art_of_War_Magic

They will act as force multipliers and logisticians. Wars are won with logistics, and thus, that's where a smart army will invest assets like Wizards.

I'd definitely look down on him and probably put him at the very, very bottom of the list as far as wishlist items, personal subplots, etc. Hinders the other PCs for a pretentious reason. Not actively malignant, but it would still annoy me.

An infinitely superior approach would be to... roleplay the fact that they creep him out and make him sick to his stomach, try to persuade the party to not go into tombs, give necromancers the stink eye, etc.

They would literally operate. They'd be the special forces unit, going behind enemy lines, painting their faces and wearing bushes, casting illusion spells to further conceal themselves. Just casting "heat metal" on a tent pole could burn down an entire enemy encampment.

Yea, my group has had that problem with a few of the AL modules (this room is 500 feet long!). changing it to 5ft has not yet really bitten us in the ass.

Well they tried to be pretty faithful to the old dungeons which is why this book probably has three times as many traps in it as all the rest of the official material put together. Hard to say how bullshit it is though since 5E characters have different tools and are generally hardier than AD&D people. It still has every nasty trick of the original though.

Well, people have been bitching about passive perception rendering conventional traps fucking useless since Next. Are these traps different somehow? Magical?

On the other hand, I don't think there are rules for sheep, you don't get unlimited free undead minions, charm etc. is far more problematic, and evil clerics can't run around drafting undead, so the normal way to do ToH is absent.

That's what I think people fail to realize about, for example, the 4e ToH.

>Well, people have been bitching about passive perception rendering conventional traps fucking useless since Next.

You can rule they require Investigation, you know.

I have something for that later and don't want to overdo things yet.

river-bandits with chain and tackle to block river travel and raid a barge the party will be riding homeward.

nope, grumpy goats will do for what I have in mind.

There's something in the DMG about estimating damage. I'd call (small) rocks fall as 2d6 to 2d10 damage.

Hobgoblins can be pretty beefy in large numbers, due to their bonus damage in groups. If the players are too high level for even that to threaten them, you'll find it hard to upscale them. There are some more powerful versions of hobgoblins in Volo's Guide though, and you can always mix in some Bugbears for variety.

Many of the traps either A) have little warning and punish stupidity such as sticking your hand into mouths or B) require investigation checks to find. Perception doesn't help you find the poisoned needle on a chest, for example.

So this module could be renamed "Frontline Wizard"

whats the next step up the power-levels from hobs? or the one after that?

Well the main way to survive the ToH was to throw sheep, zombies, charmed orcs, etc. at it, so a wizard doing it sounds like a good alternative.

Why should I play a ranger instead of a ranged fighter? Aside from the fact that rangers are more interesting.

Druid can get 8 animals for any lv3+ spell slot (Conjure Animals)
Land Druid can even get more slots back on a short rest

You do not have a spellslot you only know the spell.

Shame we don't have any other Intelligence fullcasters. Because with that it's worth giving up the top 7 levels of Wizard for something else.

How about you tell us what level you're working for rather than making us guess?

3 players level 3

>Why should I play a ranger instead of a ranged fighter?

Instead of action surge, you have hordebreaker.
Instead of third attack, you have shoot everything in a 10x10 area, and you can hit one of those twice (due to hordebreaker).
Instead of battlemaster maneuvers, you get spells, which includes Silence and Spike Growth.

Nice.

Well traditionally wizards are the main trap disarm/door opening class, so...

Hobgoblins are more than enough for level 3 PCs.
They've got good AC, do a lot of damage when they group up (if they hit, they'll probably do about half the max HP of a level 3 PC).

it's a 3.5 game, but I think I'll use the 5e stat bloc for that "martial advantage" perk

so a Captain and 3 hobs (1)leading the gobbos and 2 flunkies

One of my DMs had this gimmick where level 1 rats were sentient and could speak common. At the beginning they were dicks but later in the campaign they were prevalent and could be convinced with food to give advice in later dungeons/caves. Basically his way of giving the players hints at what to do.

>rats cuter than hedgehogs
What's your gf's fucking problem?

Boom convinced.

Would I be a dick if I variant humaned and right away took sharpshooter and crossbow expert?

No, it'd be fine.

If I'm ever in a caster heavy campaign, I wanna put Silence on an arrow as I sneak around, and then shoot a mage in the tummy with it.

If I play a character with three classes are people gonna kick me in the dick? I've never multiclassed a character before but Deepstalker 5/Fighter 2/War Cleric 1 looks like so much fun.

Can Action Surge, Underdark Scout, Sharpshooter, War Priest and Divine Favor to make 7 attacks for 1d8+14+1d4 at level 8.

So I can burst for an average of 147 damage, have 90ft Darkvision on a human, get two fighting styles, count as a third level spellcaster and all the awesome stuff Ranger gets early with the UA.

Also isn't to much of a stretch as a character like Sorcerer/Warlock/Paladins.

Wow, you managed to make an overpowered character multiclassing using UA contact. Surely you are a God among men and no one else has accomplished such.

Why the fuck are you in the 5e thread?