Need plot hook

What's a hook that would send armies and warbands from all over the world to fight in a single location? I'm making a game similar to mordheim, but I don't want to copy wyrdstone directly. Pic related the game.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_RvmixMO0GY
youtube.com/watch?v=OUbHhUZ9b_8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Somebody discovered the secret of immortality.

Everybody wants it.

I don't play video games so apologies if that's the plot of whatever

Unfortunately you will be to some extent or another. The only reason that situation would happen with any beleivabilty is if there is something that all the armies want in that location.

That's the plot to a million things, video games included.

Could be anything from a rare mineral, ancient knowledge, or perhaps a forgotten kingdom the re-emerges to threaten the world.

So there's this mountain in a barren desert
nearly nobody ever got there and came back alive.

The ones that did werent able to explore it since they were already really short on supplies when they got to it.

Recently a bunch of explorers managed to cross the desert and get to the mountain while getting lots of supplies with them.

They explore the mountain and find out that there used to be a really old civilization in the mountain tunnels.

The explorers come back and spread the word that there is this fuckhuge city underneath this mountain and its full of gold and magical/technological artifacts.

Naturally everyone wants a piece of it, so the states neighboring the desert want the mountain as their own and send military expeditions to it, mercenary warbands and military expeditions are sent to the mountain by the farther away kingdoms in order to get some of the knowledge in the ruins back to them.

Adventurers that command free armies decide that its prime time to claim themselves some land.

And there you have it, everyone in the world is coming to fight for a piece of that sweet, sweet gold and knowledge

A partnered kingdom is to be attacked or revolting against the friendly regime. So a army is sent to help.

An evil wizard wants to perform a ritual or steal an ancient artecefact far away. you must stop him.

An artefact is needed, like holy grail, your warband has to find it. Maybe a myth tells you about a fountain of youth or other holy item.

An enemy, terrorist to the state flees, your warband has to find him and seek him.

I always thought the visual of the tree was super cool in the duelyst trailer.
youtu.be/_RvmixMO0GY
I believe in the lore the tree signals the time where all the continents are connected to that tower that dispenses magic balls and they all want magic balls.
I just want to steal the magic tree blooming again and drawing everyone too it so that they can get whatever resource is causing it to react.

Holy Grail in some incarnation, it's presented for every wardlord/king in the way that he wants the most

I'm literally retarded and cant find whatever game is in op pls spoon-feed

it's the game

you lost

aww man...

Its my game that I started developing like 4 years ago so you won't be able to find it.

I might do a Battle for Wesnoth approach and have various campaigns with various hooks. I.E a holy grail campaign / a revolt campaign / invading undead army campaign etc. Pigeonholing everything into a single story hook might be too difficult to pull off correctly.

Oh, I understand now. I misread your OP.

Looks pretty cool.

A series of little hooks might work better than one large overarching story. Could look for a way to interconnect them all.

Looks cool as hell lad

Yeah, I'm really digging the art style on this. I love old TBS games like this, I'd happily pick it up if/when it comes out.

As far as plot goes, honestly you can't get much better than ancient relic. Sure it's cliche, but the art style's already fairly retro so you can make it a deliberate throwback as part of the game's theme.

Right before his execution the most legendary warlord of all told the world

"My fortune is yours for the taking, but you'll have to find it first. I left everything I owned in One Piece."

Why not make it a holy place for the different armies involved, kinda like how everyone always fights over Jerusalem?

Name 3 television series, four feature films, six and a quarter video games, and a special 12-issue comic book run that this is the plot of.

I DARE you.

How do you expect me to name a quarter video game? Should I get snarky about DLCs?

That challenge is half the fun, tiger! Hop to it.

(I love you)

but user why would he hide his treasure in an anime

No one think to look for treasure in garbage.

What is this? It doesn't look like Wargroove.

Like wyrdstone? Oil? Bones of saints or dragons? Some kind of magic slave race that they need to cast magic?

There are all kinds of things.

Not anymore. It's now in one place.

youtube.com/watch?v=OUbHhUZ9b_8

>What's a hook that would send armies and warbands from all over the world to fight in a single location?

Gol D. Roger left all the treasure he plundered in the world in on singular location and before being executed he shouted the general location of it somewhere in x land.

>What's a hook that would send armies and warbands from all over the world to fight in a single location?
Try looking up the history of the middle east you probably can gleem things there sides holy land from pre christan/muslim times of it getting fucked by everyone.

Things pulled out of ass ideas though.
>It is the hottest seat of power there hasn't been a power in history that didn't own and exploit the area. The last major ruler kicked it and the ensuing chaos has caused the military to lose hold on the area and everyone who can put together a 100 man force thinks they can become the new ruler by taking it over, and they aren't that wrong. The place is basicaly a choke point for any major supply and trading routes throughout the land cut it off and what took a week to get from north to south takes a month and change, force traders to give you money for traveling and you can pay people to stand on all major roads in rotation with enough to build a castle in a year.

Through magical shenanigans a baren wasteland has suddenly become habitable. In addition, gold and other valuable resorces have been discovered in moderat abundance in the area as well. So now every Ex Soldier, Minor Noble, Mercenary Band, entrepreneurial merchant, and common thief from all over the world who can get passage to this new place does so.

Nice reading comprehension.

apocalypse campaign
armies fighting over the last piece of fertile land 2142 style

Do you know what your going to call the game? When will it release?

As of now it's called Knights Errant.

I wanted to have it released in 2013 but i stopped development. I restarted from scratch because i was really shit at coding 4 years ago so I don't know when I'll be done. Maybe in like a year at this rate.

I would buy that game. It looks hella fun. How close is it in mechanics to XCOM?

Check out Mathew Coleville's Politics 101.

Basically any reason cause usually all sides wants to "win", and generally that's at the cost of other nations.

thanks,

i'm still changing mechanics everyday. so nothings set in stone yet.

it's similar to xcom in the sense your hero units progress, you get items, and theres perma death.

the combat has a kind of unique feel as of now. units are split into squad leaders and infantry. squad leaders are tougher, have unique classes and progress. while infantry are disposable and die in one or two hits.

i'm on the fence if i want to introduce rng elements that are in xcom like hit/crit chance or to keep it deterministic.

At first, there was a location with cultural/religious significance to 3 neighboring countries, and all of them want it for themselves.

Then each of them dragged their allies into the fight with prior debts/agreements.

At some point, one country's army managed to capture the location, and held it for 2 years cut off from the country. In that time, they R&D'd a superweapon. Nobody's sure if it was a stroke of genius, hidden ruins under the location, or a magical phenomena. Before the occupying army's country could reinforce them, the other 2 alliances teamed up and stormed the location. In that raid, key research documents were destroyed or lost, and the supposed inventor disappeared.

Now all the countries have a personal stake in finding the inventor or his notes somewhere in this region, because the superweapon was a threat of national importance.

An idea I haven't heard yet ITT (I know nothing about wyrdstone) is to have some kind of force, Gods, Ayylmaos, an evil wizard dude, or something like that drop them all there. Then, they kill each other, either through naturally occuring political, ethnic, and religious tension, or because the Gods/Ayylmaos/Evil Wizard/Other Force has promised them that's the only way they'll be returned home. It's been done plenty of times too, though not usually on a large scale, but it's an alternate idea at least, and can also create some interesting dynamics. Maybe one of the armies doesn't want to fight, and is trying to find an alternate means home. Maybe one of them loves the setting more than their old home, and would rather stay and have the war continue forever than die or win and be sent home.

Common cause is good, but conflicting motives can be good too. Ideally, you'd want the place itself to breed conflict among even established armies, like the planet Kronos in Dark Crusade. Whatever they're fighting over can be claimed by an individual, as well as an army, and it's so precious in terms of significance that people WILL stay and fight to the death simply because having it is worth it.

Best plot hook we ever had that was linked to a location was someone discovered the ritual site of the Angel of Ashes (guy who went on to create *the* monomyth of the setting thousands of years ago) and since everyone was in a vaguely religious connection with it, the significance of the site was considered worth fighting over, like Jerusalem.

Plot twist, the thing he used to become the "Angel" was still there, fused with the brazier he cast the spell with. Since people individually were fighting over that exact spot, as well as for religious reasons, the entire bottom of the crater was filled with bodies. As in, the fighting took place on the backs of corpses.

my only criticism of the game itself is that the sprites feel a bit samey, like I'm staring at the same guy wearing different outfits

they make for good pawns, but I'd like to see more for the leaders, and maybe have different factions each in different standing poses or something

What?

>First
Shocktroop/Assassin objectives

>Second
Assassin objective

>Third
Adventurer objective

>Fourth
Bounty hunter objective

Ok, I give up, what are we talking about?

>doing what will surely be uncredited work for some guy's commercial project
>basic conceit of the game hinges on your idea and yet you will never see a dime
I really fucking hate people like you, I really, really do. It's amazing how many people will do other people's job for literally nothing.