Dungeons the Dragoning

What's up, Veeky Forums?

Care to cook up some Heroes and explore the Astral Sea in Dungeons the Dragoning 40000 7th Edition?

I've been rereading the books lately and falling in love with it again.

Anyone around here actually have a chance to play it? Or even make some characters?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Dungeons:_the_Dragoning_40,000_7th_Edition
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PzP6Dr9vnoxPd4u1VuubOX689-aJkuiNTuPIrqe0_jI/edit?usp=drivesdk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm in a game currently using the setting, but we ended up abandoning the system. It's fun, but for the style of game we prefer it didn't work quite well, especially with the design decisions to lower the power level a bit.

Still, the setting is always a delightful clusterfuck of everything and our GM has showed no intention to stop, cramming in as many references as he possibly can while at the same time seamlessly crafting them into the universe to ensure that everything still feels coherent and makes sense.

I do like the setting but I've been kicking it around and it seems like mortals are incapable of harming each other in melee due to needing at least two dice to get past each other's static defense.

What kind of Crystal Spheres would you visit in a campaign?

Never actually managed to play it, but damn i would fucking love to.

What would you play?

All of them
Not the user you are responding to but personally I want to play an Eldarin Atlantean Monk or a Goblin Promethean Heavy.

>Eldarin Atlantean Monk

Space brawler with teleportation is pretty good. I've always liked the idea of Ork Paragon Fight Guy.

Completed a campaign as an Elf Wraith Sheriff. Undead elven judge dread was hillariously good fun to play.

And I'm in another ship combat heavy game as a Dryad Demiurge Diplomat/Warlock. The group I'm in has played around pretty extensively with the system and designed a metric fuckton of characters. We absolutely adore it.

Hell, I have a random character generator floating around somewhere.

Wait this isn't a troll post? People are responding seriously. What is this system.

Since you've got experience, am I reading it right in that you can't hit anything without at least a skill level of 2 in Weaponry, Ballistics, or Brawl?

1d4chan.org/wiki/Dungeons:_the_Dragoning_40,000_7th_Edition

Well, your attack roll is skill keep skill, + your level in rolled dice, if you have proficiency in the weapon. So yes, you really do want more than a dot of you can help it, as it's determining your kept dice. And make use of any and all modifiers you can grab.

What about a Goliath Werewolf Barbarian? Dragonborn Dragonblooded Paladin?

None of the non-core races really clicked with me.

The game needs more fleshed out beastiary

Here's a random character concept generator, have fun.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PzP6Dr9vnoxPd4u1VuubOX689-aJkuiNTuPIrqe0_jI/edit?usp=drivesdk

Thanks

Playing right now.

Fuck the forums.

What are you?

Symbiote Kython captain of a chaos aligned bio-ship with a small legion of chaos cultists.

And what are you and your cultists up to?

We're in sigil, recruiting new members and scrounging for jobs for money.

Your loss. I was the guy who actually concepted the goblin race, goblin racial feats, tribbles and a few smaller things for the Big Book of Brew, so I'm rather partial to crazy races

Why not just pirate it up in one of the less technological and magically weak spheres?

Maybe he's Nergal?

Then Robin Hood it up instead while spreading disease among the nobility?

Fuel doesn't pay for itself

Then you tag along on a ship and take it over!

But every ship is being invaded by other daemons.

But no expects the Nurglite Inquisition!

>Commander, someone's killing all the daemons.
>Thank Pelor, we're saved!

Played in a custom less "wacky kitchen sink" setting as a failed Promethean supersoldier prototype with a chip on his shoulder. Currently playing as a Kython symbiote mad scientist with no sense of right and wrong.

Okay, now I need to play one of those!
Sounds cool. Any more details?

First game is currently on hiatus for pretty much these reasons. Setting is medium hardness sci-fi centered on a cold war between a coalition of different races and an empire of theocratic bugmen with humans as one of their protectorates.
My character was from a race of vaguely Prussian warmongering lobsterpeople and I played him as a sociopathic killing machine out for his next paycheck, until he started warming up to the rest of the crew.
Second game is still at the prologue, not much to say.

Sounds awesome!

Sure, I've been SM of a group that has played this system for about 3 years now, and run another game online. Good stuff.

That's a little patch that developed because in the first version attack rolls used a characteristic like everything else, namely dexterity. With this Dexterity became a super god-stat.

>Party ends up crashed on a strange, cold, jungle-like crystal sphere as crystals rain down on them and enormous vines choke out the sky
>Repair their crash which fighting enormous monsters that suck out the insides of their crewmates and then power up the ship weapons to blow a giant winged creature not unlike a dragon out of the sky as it was swooping down

It took them a while but they eventually realized they were on a giant planet.
>Character realizes they need an out
>Throws down a Gate, then uses Teleport to go to another Planet in the sphere they saw in the distance on the way here
>Underwater, deep underwater judging by the ship size overhead
>Character swims up, only to immediately break the surface with an enormous tidal wave
>This planet is tiny and they are now mega-kaiju
>The party begins to duke it out in space Tinyko about not destroying the city, destroying most of the city in the process.

This game is great and easy to run fun things for. Thing of something fun, then do it. Bam.

I recently tried to start up a campaign of this, only one session in, the players are slightly less than reliable to get together. second session is possibly next friday. They're currently investigating a mysterious outbreak of not quite werewolves that tore up swaths of Sigil so that they're not incriminated in the incident.

the party is:
a promethian thri-kreen techmage of vectron. Basically captain picard if he was a giant robot bug who believed in an apocryphal god.
a promethian thri-kreen "entertainer." a member of the crew on the above's ship. advisor, courtier, always right.
a a myconid werewolf. a refluffed dryad matron, he is 6 feet tall before he opens up the giant fanged mouth in his chest and flips his shit. also a homeless detective who lives in the sewers.
a void-dragon blooded dragonborn assassin. wanna-be vampire edgelord dragonman.
human paragon power ranger. he has a phase sword. he will use it.
thri-kreen atlantean bard, a bug with connections, yet to show her stuff.
ghost tree possessed by the spirits of hanged thieves and worshippers of slaanesh. even in death, it wants to get laid.

I was dying to run this game years ago, now that I have the chance I'm scrambling to actually remember half to rules. fast and loose at least feels at home in the system.

Fast and loose works reasonably well. This is a game where you can benefit from knowing the rules better than the players.

A word of warning. This game can have somewhat slow combat due to the stunting and amount of dice being rolled and counter rolled. I'd say 3-5 is ideal. 7 might end up with not enough focus.

>3 thri-kreens
>werewolf
>dragonborn

Dare you visit my magical sphere?

The future is wild.

Just steal stuff from Deathwatch

I'd really like to join a game of DtD 40k, i had a chance last year but i couldn't make it.

Anyone have any free slots?

Run a game.

As much as i'd like to, i'm already running a juicy Shadowrun game, which takes my attention.

You could go to Roll20 and hop on the forums there and post an ad asking for someone to run a game. Just be sure to provide links for where one can download the game and the splats.

See, i could, but i don't have high hopes from the roll20 community to run stuff beyond 5e, much less something as oddball as DtD 40k

Can't hurt though, right? Baring that there are gamefinder threads up all the time you know.

Hmmm, yeah, you have a point.

Best of luck trying to find a game, user. If you get one, be sure to post results!

I'm running a game in Roll20 for DtD. It's a bit of a chore to use Roll20 but it works reasonably well.

In person is always best of course.

Are you taking applicants? And do you allow things from the big book of brews/brew splats?

I could be willing to join, depending on the scheduling.

Thanks bro

I wasn't really advertising, just commenting. I already have 5 players at this time. I had 6 before but one recently dropped out due to life events, but I'm honestly most comfortable with 3-5. DtD's not as fast a game as 5e with all the rolling and stunting and counterrolling so having too man people can bog things down a bit. I only ever had 6 because I knew people wanted to play DtD and am bad at saying no.

Sorry anons.

Yeah i was too hesitant and i didn't notice you weren't replying to my original post, whooops

Does anyone ever play squats?

Friend of mine is playing a squat vampire as the latest in a long line of dwarven vampire bankers. Because of course they run the banks.

Are you a GM, I got a level 1character ready for use

What is she?

You are right saying it's a she. I got a Thri-Kreen gunslinger type ready. I was meant to play it sometime ago but it never happened.

I'm no SM, sorry, but what Exalt were you thinking?

None as a matter of fact. I think exaltations should be earned through gameplay and not something you start with. In a case i would be to choose though, I'd pick the ghost/wraith/whatever it is because I like spooky characters

A lot of thri-kreen in this thread.

is that particularly bad?

I played it twice, DM'd it twice. Both DM parts burned out because my job went to hell and I had to bail, my RL game went to shit and disbanded shortly thereafter, my online game had my DM vaporize after the first session.

Pic related as my longer running character

And since it's a D:tD thread, time to post this as is my custom.

gratzie

I want more crystal spheres where there's air over a flat world, or it's just all full of breathable water, or pretty much any other shit that's not "a solar system".

What ever came of the fan-made third draft?

It got made, playtested, updated, playtested, not updated, and declared excommunicate traitoris.

The content is now on the forums in its latest forms, and you've got to sort through it or ignore it.

I dunno, how do you feel about four handjobs at once?

So make one? It's not that hard to shove in your own custom Spheres user. There was that story from a few years ago about the guy running his players through a Disney sphere where the Princesses were evil and all, so yeah...

This. The setting is made to be a sandbox.