Let's rate our first characters

I'll start.
Chaotic neutral human noble bastard fighter who's got tired of his shaky status and went adventuring. Eventually ended up making a pact with Master of Crabs and had his eye surgically removed and replaced with a big pearl so his patron can see through it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BNHhUMA2jF4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Neat I guess, generally the biggest factor for new characters is that they don't turn to uncooperative edgelords.

Mine was a CN human rogue that got kicked out of his village for being a theif. Still not learning his lesson he pissed off a rich noble that min/maxed his asshole class and he was left for dead and hanging far away from the town. A Dwarven clan leader saved him and he spent the rest of his teens with him and the city helping out here and there mostly as a scout/messenger. After some time he found out the dwarves were building a repeating crossbow and it was "a big deal", so he stole them and set out to sell the plans, but halfway through he pussied out and in revenge the people he was going to sell them to razed the village. Most of his newfound Dwarf family was alive but he started adventuring to not have to face them for what was bisically the death of their clan.

>Master of Crabs
the what now

>2 first characters
>CN assholes

there seems to be correlation

My first character was a roadwarden in warhammer roleplay 2. edition. He set out to protect travelers on the road and deal with all the criminal scum that would cross his way. His judgement was kind a blurred by the fact that he was a devout believer in Sigmar and interpreted the law to the letter, though he could not read. He was also very suspicious of all Bretonnians and Elves of all kinds. The latter were also, alt least in his crazy conspiracy theories, involved in a lot of plots to overthrow the Empire.

Over the years he has become the stuff of legends in our group and retelling the exploits of him and his companions is always very funny.

My first was a very vanilla human paladin who eventually developed a crippling case of PTSD by surviving 3 party wipes.

Vindicare Assasin whose parents were governors of a planet that has turned to Chaos. He survived exterminatus only because an Inquisitor owed his parents a favour. Ended up in the temple, became an assassin.

>first character
no prior experience with RPGs. GM told us to "make a character", so my character, Tom, was average in every way and possessed no special qualities whatsoever. Everyone else knew it was going to be a you-work-for-the-mafia campaign and tailored their characters to fit. I was the butt of all jokes that night because of how out of place my character was.

>first fantasy character
NG Warforged Fighter. Quiet, didn't know his place in the world type. Quit after three sessions because group was horrendous.

CN Rogue/Fighter

Father was knight, fell from grace, so my PC became a mercenary.

Got swindled by some dick into giving half of "console commands: the macguffin".

Killed asshole and got both halves of console commands.

Became a god.

Went pretty well.

First started playing dnd with my dad after we found it in some old stuff, along with twilight 2000. But all of those characters were pretty generic. My first character that I can actually remember details about was a luchador troll in shadowrun

I think my first character was an elves wizard named something nerdy like Dink or something. He went around encountering seemingly unrelated places and events and eventually probably defeated some bad guy.

Psionic hobo who'd broken out of a psionic research facility and got his waifu killed.

It was Traveler. Pretty fun.

Mine was a Chaotic Neutral Goliath Barbarian, (except I was an idiot and ended up playing a Neutral or Neutral Good character instead.)

He was an upstanding member of his tribe who became afflicted with a bizarre curse that turned much of his flesh to stone, and in shame he left the tribe, doing odd jobs and beating on people until he eventually became a bodyguard/porter for the gnome sorcerer character of one of the other players.

Sounds like the polar opposite of one of my player's always plays a Human Paladin and he's already died 3 times. Only one that has died.

First was a "Folk Hero", Secomd was the first's dad, third was the uncle.

Pretty much him/it youtube.com/watch?v=BNHhUMA2jF4

Bipolar, autistic, tiefling who switched between murderous or saintly according to her mood. She wanted to experiment morality on her own terms.

My first was a l5r rokugani Crane samurai who ended up in a D&D campaign. LG, basically adventured with them because he didn't have much of an option. Them early weeb days do not look great upon reflection.

My first character (warhammer rp 2nd ed.) was (and is) an Elf aspiring necromancer whose dog's body was stolen by a strange and mysterious figure (which is the link between all of our characters in the campaign) and he wants to find the corpse of his pet, reanimate it and damn the soul of the grave robber who stole the dead animal.

Poor ass theater/opera house mage/stage hand, turned to crime after he got fucked by politics and the local gangers offered him a few $100 to use his magics to organize an assassination, currently going from living in the back of a KFC eating rats and doing prop tits for hookers to Mafia Sorcerer-King of the city.

A human crusader-knight named Max Payne, and his perfectly ordinary horse that he named Samson. Every breath he took was in service to the kingdom, and he drew intense martial power from his devotion to its ideals. I planned to have him take good care of his horse even though it wasn't a class feature, just because he felt a normal bond with it.

Then the GM had a time-warp to a time when the kingdom was destroyed and his horse was dead. He became kinda sad and drank a lot before the campaign ended.

>complete degenerate of a bard
>tried to seduce a demon lord

So here's my first character, a tiefling monk noble with a neutral good alignment. Can I get some opinions I guess because I don't want to upset people like in my first game. I thought it could all roll together well in a sense. Bastard child of noble who made a mistake on night. Hid away from the public, Wears a mask,robe, gloves so people don't see my skin.

Left with nothing else to do, cut away from the public and left with daddy issues, the character does everything to improve themselves. That sounds like it would work right? Kinda replaces monastery stuff from normal monk situations. I couldn't really work in neutral good besides like a pretty monkish everyone equal type of stuff wet nurse.

Is this to much for a first character? What should I make to not really rock the boat?

Chaotic Good Tiefling Bard. Big deal is his hometown, travelled to the nearest bigger city in hope of earning more money/fame. He was hired to perform for the local noble family, but was promptly kicked out for making fun of the family in his comedy routine. Later that evening the firstborn of said nobles was murdered and they presumed it was the bard. He now travels the world in hope of clearing his name. He made fun of everyone including himself without meaning any harm.

I've never actually played a tabletop rpg, but I've GM'ed the same group for sixteen years.

That seems to be a backstory for more of a wizard-y character, trapped in his study, hidden away from the world. I suppose a monk works, but I don't know how I'd explain how they learned martial arts. A manuscript in his father's possession detailing a foreign martial art that the character became obsessed with and is thus totally self trained? Usually the monastery backstory gives a lot of easy answers for how they were trained.

You know what yeah lets go with that. The father was a weeb with a shit ton of wall scrolls sure but with that aside I just imagined my character spending all that time growing up spent just working out with no equipment and reading.

I want to say thank you considering I didn't even think about that aspect. Don't even think I could have come up with an answer that plausible on the spot either.

I couldn't go with monastery because it would break the thin link with everything else. Plus I like a personal growth story.

A ranger with a bow.

Neutral Evil Elf Fighter that was a business first mercenary and secret religious zealot who hated the human gods for eating the elven gods. He was an endearing sort of racist to the other party members, they fucking loved it. Took jobs that helped inadvertently seed sedition among the human faith. Ended up helping the Pope excommunicate the Emperor, then assassinated the Pope in the same ceremony, calling down a fucking angel, and then killing that angel and declaring an elven jihad after destroying an avatar of the god's power.

Epilogue he gave himself up, was arrested and executed, died a martyr but caused the fractured elves to be bound together to wage holy war. The face of the world was changed, and the many souls declared to the elven gods caused a rekindling in their power.

My first character was a Cleric of St. Cuthbert who liked to yell at whores and smash criminals with his mace.

His name was Seth ( I forget his last name), and got to level 5 before the campaign died. His most notable feat was picking up an enemy commander and throwing him through a window.

Half-elf archer, daughter of a small-town mother who had a fling with a passing elf adventurer. More than a one night stand, but then for an elf a 4 month stopover isn't much more than an all-nighter. She sets out to search for her father as well as sate some wanderlust and seek magic or magic items; she never saw much in her village but always heard her mother talk about her father's abilities, and is very interested in learning or messing with magical objects. She's a bit stupid and very bad with magic.
I got to play her for about one session in an EXTREMELY misguided newbie group where I handed the DMing reigns to someone who promptly refused to read the DMG or care at all. They also chaffed for playing a female character; in the first round of combat of the only session that ever happened the warlock rolled a 1 on an Eldritch Blast, at which point the DM described it as "veering off point and breaking Adrie's belt so her pants fall."

Chaotic Good Half-Elf Ranger who was an orphan thanks to orcs. So he dedicated himself to killing orcs. Best friends with a Dwarf Cleric of Moradin. A Human Paladin rounded out the party. I think they all ended up dead in an encounter with an Ogre Mage.

Ah, original D&D.

CN Fighter/Druid

Soldier of a losing side but didn't really care all too much about winning the war just wanted to get out of being a peasant. during the war got separated from the rest of the army during an attack in a camp then met up with some druid looking fellows, studied under them for a while till he wanted to go back since he still loved his family but guess who's village got razed? that's right This guy now he wages a never ending war against the nation that burned down his village.

On the run as of this moment

Neutral good, inventor/engineer type of fighter who was always repairing the groups weapons and trying to win the appraisal of the town smithy (but always failed). The smithy viewed him as an aberrant type of crafter and never let him near the workshop. I moved into a gunslinger class after a few levels due to increasing materials to work with.
>pic related also can't find source for this pic.

NG human warrior a small tribe of barbarians. Decent enough hunter but more of a trapper and gatherer. The first son of an very unpopular but talented warrior. Constantly got into fights with other kids for picking on him and his younger brother and was thrown out of the village for extended periods of time on multiple occasions. Spent his time in exile exploring the wild land around the village and making maps. Became friends with an odd but friendly hermit who lived in a cave way on the outskirts after he was saved from strange raptor-dog-things. The hermit helped him overcome his anger issues and taught him a bit of magic. The boy could now use some useful magics but could no longer borrow strength from the his ancestors in battle. After returning to the village he was promptly kicked out of the tribe for good since he could no longer rage.
Spent his time as a traveling Spellsword (Spellaxe really) for hire and selling his maps before joining a small group on their surprisingly terrifying adventures across the land.

Chaotic Neutral Human Tribal Barbarian but with a sword somehow. He was the "chosen one" in his tribe but was too cool for that so he went adventuring.

lol

Don't remember my very first, but my first 5e character was a CG halfling "champion of the people" rogue. Tried to be as cooperative with the party as possible and resolve conflicts, but went out of his way if someone was being "oppressed".

>Be about 8 years old
>Older sister invites me to a game some of her friends were running.
>Furry shit (which now, in retrospect, I wonder if she was trying to defuse some of the perversion in the community by having an 8 year old along)
>Homebrew system, classless.
>Played a disposessed nobleman, with a broad but shallow skillset, would be something like a fighter/mage/thief from old old 2E mechanically; could do lots of things, but aside from a few telepathic skills I sunk a fair amount of points in, none of it particularly well.
>A sort of niceish guy, but lived by at the time waht I thought of was a very feudal lord code of honor; he only really saw other aritocratic families as real people, and he was very collectivist in his moral code; he viewed the party's debts as his own, but on the other hand, he viewed murdering the relatives of people who got in our way as a perfectly acceptable course of action.

It's been a while but I think my first character was some kind of werewolf street shaman in world of darkness, he alternated between trying to explain the state of the universe to his companions and sleeping on their rug.

Redhead thief. Was a peasant girl but left home for adventure (and inevitably, crime).
Whenever I got the chance, I'd crawl into some kind of weird space to prepare for an ambush, and every round I'd try to find a better spot. Usually the enemies showed up while I was trying to get to THE BEST SPOT, and so we lost the element of surprise.

Chaotic neutral human rogue with a longbow. His only personality was "hey guys, lets see if those goblins have anything good on them!" He didn't even make great use out of his rogue abilities. In hindsight, he definitely should have been a ranger.

A few years later I revamped the character into a NE human ranger for a new group and it worked out a lot better.

My first character was in a superhero game that I forget. She had a bunch of powers based off of animal traits, like the strength of a gorilla and the durability of a bear. I remember playing a few times, but I was so young at the time that making the session every week was difficult.

Chaotic good Dwarf barbarian/ Bear warrior/ Wielder of the wand of chaos
Halvard, motherfuckin Halvardson
My first, and best character

He had lost his tribe and joined up with the local human empire to try and find them as a sort of suicide squad. He gave nicknames to every one he liked, got a massive bromance with the elf cleric and gnoll monk over the game. In the first session he made a bear think he was one via the furs he wore, marched its cub to death against a big goblin (ogre)

Over the campaign he
Bought the wabbajack in wand form, and made the party FEAR him (since it couldn't be destroyed, only handed over willingly)
turned a werewolf giant, nearly one shotted it with his wand, and flew to low orbit with it
wore a dragon skull that melted around his face due to a weird ghost
realized that he should be a real hero, rather than a glory hound after that
had his head blown off by a vampire, then resurrected via a bear's corpse
Fought several party member's undead family, tossing the gnoll at one since it had a plague field around it
Found an iron golem, and an anvil he used as a hammer and main weapon for most of the game.
Discovered the BBEG used his body to wipe out his clan,
Went rage mode for one of the few times in the game, buffed by elf bro to three shot one half of the subsequent boss encounter as his friends
fought his undead/ tree fiance (who was also the chiefs daughter)
Wrestled a demon in his HUGE bear form and won
Adopted a poor drow girl from a lich who replaced her eyes with those of a dragon (She later became my character in the next game, who married a war criminal)
ripped a demon's original mortal self out of its back via wabbawand and got a cloak he gave his daughter from it
was generally a cool dude who liked stories

Oh, and he climbed up a demon dragon death god at the end of the campaign, fell off, broke every bone in his body and threw his knife at it before passing out

In the next campaign
cont

Which he spent most of the time sick since he got shanked by a pussy ass assassin, he was the lord of a united barbarian/ tribal kingdom that were in alliance with the nation the other party members inherited (the gnoll helped him with this)

anyways, skipping all the stuff about his daughter and the other next generation kiddies

at one point this army of Rakasha attack the main city after a finale night of celebration and preparing (during which the war criminal and hal's daughter went to every bar, set fire to half of them, and caused chaos in general)
Shit got FUCKED hard

Out of all the original PC's/ NPC party members

"Valor": Party leader/ king got wounded and his dragon mount died
Angus/ Beastman(gnoll): Scarred across the chest and crippled
"Points"/Elrohir (elf bro): Fucking blinded
"Greyskin"/ Drow: died earlier in the campaign (player left in the first one)
Six/ "freed"/Mute former slave elf: Kamakaized most of the rakasha's forces
King's waifu: Died
Six's waiuf: died as well
Point's waifu: got attacked or went crazy, can't remember
Other dwarf *pirate/captain*: got fucking killed in a boat crash way earlier in campaign
Dragon hunting couple: pretty sure one or both died

But Hal? but good old unfuckable cast iron Halvard motherfucking halvardson?

this legendary heroic fucker?
He rolled near a hundred on the roll to determine if they made it out of the fight

He held the line at the castle, battling demons, rakasha and other shit basically by himself
We found him standing on a MOUNTAIN of corpses, with barely a scratch on him.

See, Halvard had a habit in both games.

When you fucked with something he truly cared and loved

you would be turned into mulch within two rounds by his uncontrollable protection/rage boner

god and I miss playing this bear obsessed idiot.

He was my first
AND
Best character I ever had

also gave me the idea for the wabbawand in the campaigns I run now adays

A dragon shaman on a spirit quest to prove his worth to his father and become the new chieftain of the tribe. Game died after a few sessions, no dragons were seen or heard of.

40k Character that was an Inquisitorial Agent hailing from a Death World. The Death World in question was essentially Skull Island from Kong.
Humans there lived in what was essentially a hunting lodge mixed in with a small military fort. Locals were obsessed with autoguns with crazy nonstandard ammo.
This was all in the days prior to Dark Heresy.

oh god I think it was a like a Grewhawk mage slayer? something edgelordy. I feel like everyone want's to make "the coolest" character there first go at it.

Elven druid that got into the priesthood due to her bethroted dying, and her family not wanting a possible wild card for the inheritance.

Passed from going through the motion to actually having faith.

Tuskgore the Enraged

He was literally a non-sapient wolly mammoth the rest of the party put in armor and would point at their enemies. I fucking loved it.

Copperhead. He was a damaged warforged without a face plate that some scrappers bolted a copper pot to. Generally malfunctioned at bad times but a good cook, despite not having a sense of taste. He was good at following directions.

He was a classic fire mage. I played it straight, wasn't terribly crazy or overpowered, and had a fun time.

Character's still around, despite holding the most deaths on any character I've played outside of a video game.

Skeleton bounty hunter with a blunderbuss that I played on the WoW RP forums in the years prior to the game's actual release. Didn't have much personality, just being a skeleton who liked to shoot things and didn't even make bone puns. Still, I pride myself on the fact that, given that it was my first time RPing, I didn't play him as some ridiculous over-the-top unstoppable killing machine like most of the other characters on those boards.

Priest to an Eros style religion. Sex, drugs, rock-n-roll, the full nine yards. He used nature-type spells almost exclusively, preferring to bind foes in thorns rather than outright kill them. Generally disinterested in loot that wasn't immediately useful for shenanigans. He, uh, might have sold out some of the other characters at the table to a demon near the end. I labeled him as true neutral, but that might not have been the case. Kind of a pussy that ran out on fights and just healed the real combatants in the aftermath now that I think of it. He survived the campaign through coward tactics though, which was pretty unique for the table. On the other hand, it was implied that he became an Orc Chieftain's bitch for a while there. RIP the poor man's ass.

1st edition SR- street samurai
He was loosely based on Freddy Kruger and was a legit fucking nightmare

My first character?

Earthdawn, an obsidiman warrior named Rocky wielding a warmaul.
Once tossed a dwarf into the air when we were lost in the jungle to find the right direction

He...erm died because I made him jump down a hole which the GM made sound as if it was like 10 meters deep.

It was not :(

>Fighter who deserted a nation's army and spent his time as a sellsword
>Orc pit fighter who, after buying his freedom, wants to travel the world since he's spent his entire life as a gladiator
>Impoverished knight who stumbled on a dying minor deity and agreed to become her sole paladin in the world after she healed some injuries that were going to kill him in a day or two

Human male fighter named "Riker" because I thought it was a cool name and deserved a cooler character.

Human CG Investigator.
He grew up in a ghetto in a nearby city and lost his older brother to gang violence. He left as soon as he was able and joined the guard where he was trained and served for a few years. After that he left to travel around helping the people of the country.

In retrospect I was just trying to channel Samuel L Jackson.

Chaotic good human fighter/rogue. Family used to be a noble-family in a not!slavic-esq land. Grandfather boozed'N'whored real bad and got bad in debt, father sold estate and land to settle them and get enough money to buy a "nice and comfy tavern in a quiet town, perfect for the kids to grow up". He and his two siblings made a pact to adventure in order to amass knowledge, power and most importantly, wealth, in order to restore their fallen house, not seeing the commoners life befitting to them.

He started out both CN and arrogant when the party first met him, working as a bounty hunter that mostly only cared about himself and gold, but after quite some time with the partry as found himself not only as the "speaker" for the group, but also the morality. his alignment (officially, after a long list of increasingly selfless deeds) shifted when the rest of the party wanted to rest (after a tough fight, granted) while the rebels they themselves had roused to fight in a militia were still fighting, so did my character refuse.

"We are responsible for the lives of these people, i can not sit idly by while they bleed for me"

Think an olgierd von everec but more kindhearted with no demon powers, acting as party face

oh, my bad, i read the OP(because of lack of sleep) as current character. my first character was a dwarf paladin named urist (the last name was taken from a random dwarf in my fort, but i can not remember it). ex city guard captain for a small port town and, according to himself, was way to lenient, always trying to see the best in people which ultimately caused someones death, unable to deal with the blood on his hands so does he abandon it all to seek guidance from the gods, and to venture out to find the man who did it, both for the sake of justice and atonement.

fairly boring to play because i had envisioned him as the silent grumpy type (because i was, at that point, very afraid to RP) yet kind, but it pretty much ment that i didn't speak at all. his gimmick of giving the fallen a proper burial (limited to humanoids and given roadside graves, but still) and some prayers was neat but got old fairly quickly and the party got pissed because i took up "too much time".

First time I played I had read through the monster manual a hundred times, but never actually came close to a game.

Played a TN Kobold Sorcerer, naturally dressed in a big black cloak with black and red skin, because I was a huge edgelord.
Ironically, he ended up being a weird dude who wandered into town, bought a bunch of useless shit, and then wandered back out into the wilderness to get wrecked by skeletons again.

My first few games consisted of many, many defeats to skeletons. 4 hp at first level is a hard time.

Dark Heresy. Feral worlder pyromancer psyker. Was intelligent, but ignorant of the galaxy (which did manage to get our party ranks in certain knowledges due to asking what things were, like the Horus Heresy). Also couldn't read and referred to himself in the 3rd person and spoke broken english. Great fun, eventually he learned to read, but then was killed by a culexus assassin. Good times.

Dwarf warlord that was a retired vet (was an officer) that decided to unretire when evil became emerged. He was the leader of his group and fought with a long sword. I honestly can't remember his name which kind of saddens me.

>First character was for an online Shadowrun 4e game
>I'mma make a rigger because robots are cool
>I kind of want to go with a "super-young prodigy" theme
>talking to another player about it and he suggests "fuck it just go full mary sue and make her like 16"
>Well this is a quite silly spin-off world of Shadowrun, so it works
>She is now a 16 year old master's degree in robotics holding rigger with a yerzed out APC
>which was quite honestly the funnest idea for this campaign I could have had
>She likes mecha anime and developed a drinking problem over the length of the game to deal with the complete incompetence of everyone around her and a few That Guys we started the campaign with but didn't finish with
>Win what is basically Mad Max + Wacky Races for a reward from a dragon
>make a deal with a dragon, but write a contract with multiple clauses to protect me and it ends up killing half of a US state for 20 million nuyen
>I have actually at this point hired the rest of the party to work for me
>get a request by the head of a mega to revive all those people I just killed
>end up fighting a dragon with 20 bust-a-moves armed with grenade launchers, a light missile cruiser, multiple tanks, and my personal mecha until it just leaves, only to then fight an elder god
>We win and I just basically got about 27 million nuyen for free
>end up as the head of robotics at that mega
Good campaign, but the setting was incredibly silly and nonsensical.

Nice. DH was my first tabletop too.

True neutral bard, an escaped slave who picked up a fondness for our champion fighter. Ended up fleeing a fight with her while the rest of the group got captured. One player was mad that I played a character with a sense of self-preservation. Eventually went back and rescued them, accidentally burning all our stuff in the process.

LE Human Rogue (Homebrew Doctor background)

Noble who's family brings a illness back from a grand tour, was kicked out of home after the illness killed his sister and trouble started brewing at home. Went out into the land taking jobs to fund his living and also fund his research into the illness which included the kidnapping of a few homeless people who weren't seen again.

He would help whoever he could, but those who were too far gone he take off to a secluded basement and try and learn from them.

D&D 3.0 Fighter that PrC'd into Drunken Master

Son of a cobbler; generally fought people to steal their boots and put them in a big sack he carried around with him. I used a barstool as an improvised weapon with the feat, until I broke it over a dhampir's back. The DM then agreed to let dwarves turn my barstool into some kind of hellish flindbar nunchucks.

I had a lot of fun. Mainly because my DM was pretty fast and loose on the rules and his games had very low/anemic HP totals for NPCs - he wanted it to be quasi realistic in that if you hit a man in the head with a barstool, he'd go down and stay down.

A Lawful Neutral Bard who after being the usual archetype of the boozing, womanizing and prideful Minstrel. He was summoned to entertain a King's son expecting to do a birthday party for some spoiled brat but instead found a deathly ill child. After a few months of telling the child stories and singing to him day after day he grew a deep bond and learned the child hoped to be a musician himself. The child gave him a wooden whistle a few days before he passed, overcome with grief he stopped his drinking and womanizing and settled in the castle as the personal bard of the King who he shared in his grief. Eventually the King wanted the whistle that was his sons back from the Bard and after refusing to return it threatened death, so he fled the kingdom and enlisted to follow the next group of adventurers heading out of the lands.