/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

"Behold, the Eternal Shitpost" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Prev: We talk about inquisitors and characters a lot. Any locations or time periods you'd like to visit in your games? Perhaps a specific location you're planning on unleashing or preparing to explore? Let's hear it.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/Zeh7nhC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>
I totally agree with this, it really works in the sense that "We are the Inquisition, stand aside pleb cause I have cooler friends than you", but I've had problems with players when they have to roll as trivial shit and still lose. Like they can't even pick up basic shit as a cup of noodles or similar.

Would noodles be abundant or average privisions? Did any have commerce? Was anybody an administratum background?

At the time, I think I put it at either abundant of trivial, no one had commerce and no administratum, and besides it was a terrible roll of like 80+ something. But still.

Why even make them roll for trivial shit? Unless there's a good reason that it's hard to find in their current location.

It was a shitty poor area and food was hard to come by.

Anyone have the oef of Faith and Coin? It's the last one I need.

Does the MEGA not have it or is it not in the quality you want?

I'm looking into starting a dark heresy game with me and some of my IRL friends and we have not been able to decide between 1e or 2e. None of us have played more than 3 sessions of a 40krpg before but we have played some 4e and some shadowrun which do you guys think would be the best for us?

From what I understand, 2e is just plain better.

okay thanks

Does the physik kit and medikit from Rogue Trader stack if you carry both?

You know what? I should just ask here. Is anyone recruiting for any games online? English language, online, and other such really obvious things.

My acolytes have encountered a seriously scary and heretical cult. A couple run-ins with psuedo-daemons and one actual daemon. They are about 3500 exp in. Given their heavy-handed approach to this inquest, would you award them with bolter weapons or something roughly as lethal?

Games Workshop General Discord, Join now for a place for when the thread is dead or you want slightly faster paced chat!

discord.gg/Zeh7nhC

>current session
>have successfully incited a revolution against Tau subjugated town
>they're literally slaughtering fire warriors with scythes, rocks, and pickaxes

This is great.

Are they taking into account that Tau Fire Warrior armor is All 6, which means those Fire Warriors would have sink...15 or so against those items?

Best of luckkkk

Armor is being taken into account.

However, it's also done through narrative and using a false call in a lot of the Tau forces have been relocated from the town so we essentially have thousands of citizen against a small bastion of Tau forces and our team helping out.

Want to create a missionary character for a rogue trader who's all old school imperial truth type. But is a bit mad and excepting actual chaos tainted types, assumes everyone is a good imperial citizen. This includes the fire warrior, ork and dark elder currently amongst the ships crew.

What would be good stats, skills and origin for a character like that? That would reflect the backstory, but still make him useful as a medic/preacher/demon ass kicker.

Just a lvl 1 character plz

I'll look into it, but in the mean time have Imperial thoughts for the day plastered all over the concept.

'An empty mind is easily filled with faith'
'Blessed is the mind too small for doubt'

You'll want good int and fellowship to do medicae/converting

Dodge, awareness are essential, ofc. Good strength and weapon skill, priests/missionaries are archetypal melee characters.

You're level 1...so you won't be useful/interesting for a while.

I would just download Faith and Coin and see what you like, see if you can work towards it.

Narrative feeling beats stats any day

So there's your exact reason why it couldn't be found.

i have been recently getting into 40k, after playing space marine and dawn of war for the first time. just went binging on the wiki, now i want to actually play (but not really into wargames, nor do i really have the money for 40k atm). so which 40k RPG do you think might be good to start with? i will probably end up DMing, but i'm still pretty new to the 40k universe, so i'm not sure if say imperial guard might be better for me to start with than space marines, or vice-versa? and also, i would prefer one that has a good, simple, and relatively short prewritten adventure to start me off (something analogous to LMoP in 5E D&D, if you know it)

Does anyone here play 40kRPG (any system really, but mainly DH or OW) over the internet?

I do. I ran a super barebones Only War game, went from 6 players to 3 by the end of it.

Dark Heresy, it's small scale and doesn't require any knowledge of the 40k universe to start.

Only War as you'd still need to know what is heresy in Dark Heresy.

Really? I always figured that Only War required the least amount of knowledge, lore wise.

Actually, I guess yeah. Shoot weapons, kill aliens.

DH requires some investigation and knowledge to navigate the imperium.

If you're gonna GM, Only War is a good start. Dark Heresy doesn't need any 40k knowledge pretty much to play. To run on the other hand...

I would really like to play, but I have no experience with the system and no local players (I'm rather rural). I've only played a little pathfinder and 5e and only over the internet.

Fuck off shill

First time only war DM here, need some hints
Im apalnning to host a small campaing to a few friends,
Ogryn, marine devastator and a techpriest.
Place would be a somewhat new imperial colony with nurle corruption and dormant necron tomb nearby
If my victims are stupid enought that they anger the tomb how should i do scarab swarms? necron warrior etc. are simple enough to balance (beefed up marine stats with penalty to speed and skills)
Due to unique nature of scarab swarms i don't know how to do them.

Maybe instead of "here having this stuff" get a bit insight of what characters are they playing and tailor them? 3,500 is mediocre to say the least..

roll20 and game finder threads dude, how lazy can one be

Also I don't recommend playing with 4/5 from here. Either cheeto powder tier, 1d4 cool kidz or superb level roleplayers. No middle ground.

>Only War game
>Players are ogryn, sm and techpriest

Two specialized characters and one homebrewed into only war.

Gee, do you know that this site is 18+?

>No fun allowed meme

You know that Only War is about guardsmen for a reason? If you can't sprout a muddy, the guns of navarone or the dirty dozen kind of game and you need to make a meme game about mary sues facing newcrones while in fact the marine could literally be the only one having a chance at the very start? Not only it's a meme game - it's a cheeto powdered one, because I wonder how you cranked the fact that the marine is in a party like that. Marine is obviously slowed down by them, techpriest would probably prefer to do something else and ogryn.. well, it's a ogryn. Can't handle criticism, good luck on your memery laddie.

>implying i'm the original poster
>implying you aren't just projecting your own inability to have fun

Do you need to have autism levels of littering stuff with shit to actually have fun? Do you think a real guardsmen game won't have fun?

Do you think people need to play a guardsman to have fun? Do you think only guardsmen characters can be fun to play?

Care to try again in English, lad?

That was not me.
If the balance of the party is as bad as you said then i gotta rethink this.
I do agree with the other guy about >no fun
But homebrew is fun and i still have very little idea on how to do scarabs

It's meme-user, just ignore him and his autism.

Not that guy, but if you couldn't comprehend, maybe you should try reading it again. In English. Lad.

>Homebrewing stuff in an unbalanced fashion in a game about guardsmen, when only one of them is.. kinda from astra militarum facing newcrons. Says I am no fun and autism ayy

I mean if you like shoving shit down someones throat its okay, but as a new guy I don't think you will handle the scale as much as you would want to. No need to be passive aggressive like this cuck here

>in an unbalanced fashion
>with no mechanical details provided so there is zero supporting evidence

>shoving shit down someone's throat
>when the players presumably chose their classes

>no need to be passive aggressive
>'Gee, do you know that this site is 18+?' 'Can't handle criticism, good luck on your memery laddie.'

I wasn't aware Trump posted here.

>Thinking a marine with a techpriest and ogryn is balanced
>They chose those classes because gm is a new friend in terms of gming
>Thinking it's passive aggresive
>Leftie

Also, ever heard of mixed black crusade csm and heretics games? Gee, I wonder why they are getting derailed so much.

>can't even collect his autism into a single reply
>still has no evidence and is just making things up to support him because nothing else does

Make Veeky Forums Great Again.

Ever heard of something called a new idea? Well I think you stopped when Marx died.

What unholy plague did a release with my scarab question?
Fuck it, i will homebrew them myself, With blackjack and hookers!

Shouldn't there be scarabs in the Black Crusade Tzeentch book, with all the other Necron stuff? You might check that.

What you're (probably) looking for is the Deathwatch book "The Outer Reach", p134.

Also, you sound way too new for what you're proposing to do.

>still can't provide anything to back up his shitposting, instead just goes for ad hominen in the hope of a distraction

Did a person having fun tap your phones?

Thanks, i have been dm before but maybe i got over exited when few of my best friends asked for a 40k campaing.
Gotta think this through and read lots of rules as this is a new system for me

Few years off but otherwise spot-on. But it's okay, I don't expect you to check your sources.

He did. See .

Mixed BC games are a solid comparison.

Is Rogue Trader the wrong game for me, or am I just finding the wrong groups?
Every game I've found recently seems to be full of players who want something completely different to what I do. Their ideal game appears to be Pirates of the Caribbean where everyone is an edgy version of Jack Sparrow, where as I'm more interested in a Master and Commander vibe.

Seriously, am I the only one who thinks putting having slave quarters because 'muh grimdark', and a euphoric life sustainer because 'lolz' is dumb?

What's a good way to set up a heist for my players? It seems like a pretty daunting task when you get down to it, from trying to figure out maps, and guard rotations and traps.

Is there a dungeon generator that will generate a convincing mansion to help get me started?

You want something serious, and they don't. That doesn't mean no one else in the world wants a serious game of RT.

roll20, you can't paint a paint style map? lmao..

I tried running a heist for my players once. The Ordo Chronos brought the Commandos back to the Horus Heresy to steal some relics from a storage centrum staffed by traitor white scars and word bearers. They tried sneeki-breeking through, but then the ceiling exploded and blackshields attacked / the inquisitor and his squeeze got bored and went hot, so it became a three-way run and gun to the objective.

>lmao..
What's up with all these baity posts cropping up around Veeky Forums starting or ending with "lol!" and shit Is it one autist having a particularly spergy episode?

hehe

I would really like to do a short campaign for my players set just at the onset of the Badab war. One of the canon Deathwatch NPCs is an Astral Claw who showed up a couple times in my campaign (and quit the Deathwatch in protest of Inquisitorial fuckery in my game), so I'd like to have him make an appearance. It'd be about the players desperately trying to use their influence to negotiate a peace before an all-out rebellion starts, not realizing that that's exactly what Huron wants.

I also had some loooong term ideas for using the original 13th Black Crusade fluff as a sort of "Gotterdamerung" campaign. Oldcrons, the Blackstone Fortresses, the Pylons and Abaddon would all be involved and it would be influenced by Mass Effect 3 in terms of affecting the entirety of the setting by the end of it... just not as shitty.

Only War question:

So if a character gains a duplicate talent from his chosen Role that he also got from his Regiment, he just gets 100xp instead. But what if a combination of Regiment type and training doctrines give a duplicate? Going through regimental creation now and my players have ended up getting Nerves of Steel from both Fortress World and the Demolitionist doctrine and I'm not sure how to handle it. None of them wanted to take Sprint from Fortress, do I just force them to?

I wouldn't sweat the core book's assumption of where the talent came from each time.

Yes.

Just give them that 100xp for duplicate talent.

Anyone recruiting for a game?

Just finished Regiment creation for a game I'm getting ready to run. I had started off thinking that the Regiment would be a sort of rag-tag light infantry sort of deal. My players seemed to express interest in going more sneaky, but with a twist: they were demo experts.

The original idea for the Regiment background was that they were conscripts raised on a Fortress world who used very overt and overwhelming yet simple tactics. So I gave them a WWII Russian theme. With their desire to do more sneaky commando-y things it went from WW2 human waves to 80s Afgan War kicking in the door to kill everyone and their cat and burning down/blowing up whatever was left. So yea, my players are going to be Space Spetsnaz. They start with TWO fucking tanks.

Homeworld: Fortress
Commander: Fixed
Type: Mech Recon
Training: Demolitionists
Equipment: Vanguards
Drawback: The Few

>Tanks
>Commandos
Kek

Well they're not REAL tanks, but AFVs nonetheless. Mech Recon gives them a Salamander armed with an autocannon and then Vanguard gives them a Chimera, also with an autocannon. These are not too far off from say, a BMP-1 and a BMD-1.

>Giving them salamander instead of two tauroses

>Any locations or time periods you'd like to visit in your games? Perhaps a specific location you're planning on unleashing or preparing to explore?

I've visited everywhere from the Horus Heresy to 800,000 years in the future in my games. One place I really want to visit is the War in Heaven, with the Aeldari, Krorks, and Old Slann vs the Necrons. That could be really fascinating.

As for locations, I have a few new places planned for my upcoming Only War game, but no spoilers just yet.

I wonder what did you need that tripfagging for rn