HFY Thread, Dead, But Not Gone Edition

I'm proud to be human and we haven't had a HFY thread in months I know the meme is dead, but the spirit lives on! Post your best pastas!

> HUMANITY, FUCK YEAH!

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/qOd9N?gallery#0
imgur.com/gallery/w3nA4
youtube.com/watch?v=192oEC5TX_Q
fanfiction.net/s/11868723/1/The-Human-War
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I haven't seen one of these in a while. I'll give you a bump and recommend you write your own stuff. I had written a story about Humans that are authorized to go IN SPESSSSSSSSSSSS tend to open up orphanages

Posting best HFY ever written.

Entry Date 15.21.928429

The Advocates were wise to send us on this expedition.

While the planet itself is rather nondescript, except in that it's one of the few with liquid water and vegetation in this backwards and uninhabitable section of the galaxy, its "humans" are not. Mostly hairless, except for the crown and the genitals, with two manipulator limbs and two ambulatory limbs, their true value lies in their brains. Their short lifespans require them to learn material in rapid timeframes despite the low storage capacity of their long term memories, and as a result, the encoding and retrieval systems that their brains use is actually quite remarkable, allowing them to learn easily ten or eleven times as fast as a Maade, even moreso in the formative years, when they display learning ability far in excess of our own. I suspect that this ability is the cause of the rapid growth of their technology in the past millenia.

One of the humans that we abducted for the examination appeared to recognize portions of our systems and tools, either in form or function, from untrue works that humans construct in order to stimulate emotions. They refer to these as "fiction" as opposed to factual works, "non-fiction". I am derisive of the things, it's clear to me that if humanity had dedicated their focus to research and development instead of these fictions, they would possibly be more advanced than we are. Regardless, to see someone whose species uses magnetic fields to image tissue recognize and accurately guess at the result, if not the process, of our Composite Reader, is interesting. He (he identified himself as a male of the species) appeared to be under the misapprehension that his musculature or skeletal makeup was of note to us, but I assured him that such a line of thought was false. While their species does appear to possess ability in the use of ranged weaponry, it is not to the point where the benefits of using them as a soldier race would be recommended.

Humanity Fuck Yeah you say?

imgur.com/a/qOd9N?gallery#0

imgur.com/gallery/w3nA4 (with links to 32 more galleries just like it)

All subjects have since been returned to their place of origin, with the exception of one who requested instead to be moved to her primary residence. They were instructed not to inform anyone about the nature of their absence, although we were assured that people with stories of alien abduction are quite commonly derided by other humans, something that made me suspect another species had beaten us here, until I remembered their fictions. It is my recommendation that we begin encouraging of a culture that spurns these fictions and emphasizes intensive education and research. Within a mere two centuries they may be advanced enough to understand the resources and aid we can bring to the table in exchange for alliance or submission.

Undoubtedly, educating them with skills urgently required can allow us to easily shift a human workforce as they are needed in a particular field. The shortage of surgical professionals a century ago still weighs heavily. In addition, if focused into developmental or theoretical areas once current knowledge proliferates among the general population, I suspect that they will prove a great aid to both of our races.

Coordinator of the vessel Dendru-377
Dashilan Korastoh

Bump?

>we haven't had a HFY thread in months
That should've been your first clue. HFY is dead and buried, let it rest in peace instead of dragging it around as a zombified mockery of what it was.

Excellent Original Content. If I knew how to screencap it, I would in an instant.

Many thanks user. I know ehat I'll be doing for the next few days.

Veeky Forums is a shadow of its former self, and Veeky Forums is all but dead, yet we persist.

>HFYfag
>doesn't know how to even screencap
fuckin lel

>I'm proud of fictional shit that never happened HFY bro!!xd

Being proud to be human is the shittiest thing to be proud of ever.
It's like being proud to be a citizen of a county; congrats, you were fucking born, good job. You managed to do what literally everyone else on the planet accomplished too, only you STILL can't take credit for it because your mom's vagina did most of the hard work and you just lied there at the time.

People who are proud of stuff like that are proud of it because they have nothing else in their lives worth being proud about.

Got some new OC courtesy of /trash/.

>The planet was invaded just yesterday.
>But already, billions and zillions were dead.
>The city was still burning and you could hear the individual cries of every single xeno scum crying out in pain.
>Meanwhile, in Humanity Battalion Central, Captain Gorekillian is enjoying a cup of tea.
>Officer Maimskidsforfunson comes in.
>"Great first volley. We will have all the aliens destroyed by sundown."
>"Very good! And of course, those we are destorying are definitely NOT sentient creatures worthy of our compassion."
>"Not at all. We are certain of this, even though direct contradictory evidence is staring at us in the face."
>"Good show, Officer Maimskidsforfunson. Say, did you know that the he L85 is supplied with a sling, blank-firing adaptor, cleaning kit and a blade-type bayonet, which coupled with the sheath can double as a wire cutter (the sheath contains a small saw and sharpening stone). The rifle can be adapted to use .22 Long Rifle training ammunition with a special conversion kit. The Small Arms Weapons Effects Simulator can be used on the L85 when in training with blank ammunition. The rifle variant also accommodates a 40 mm under-barrel grenade launcher such as Heckler & Koch AG-36 40 mm grenade launcher variants[16]?

You know how, when something bad happens to someone you know, you tell them "I'm sorry," even though you're not responsible for the tragedy that happened to them? You feel a sort of pity for them that feels almost identical to 'sorry,' but isn't.

In the same vein, I feel "proud" of being human, although 'proud' is probably better seen as 'glad.' I am 'glad' that I was lucky enough to be born a human, with all the qualities that are (or appear to be) unique to humans, and I enjoy reading fiction that examines these qualities.

user, Startide Rising doesn't fit into a single screencap.

The best HFY is

Kemono Friends

But you have no idea how many if any of these traits are unique to humans. This thing you feel proud of means nothing because you have nothing to compare it with.

You're making snowmen and strawmen and using that to justify your own existence.

Yes I do; I have animals, as well as earlier homonids to compare too.

If any aliens exist, it is not so unusual to imagine that they might have some traits that we previously thought to be unique. But, I'm going to ignore this, and read stories where this isn't the case, because it examines these unique traits into focus.

Humans are good, even if they aren't unique. By treating them as unique (at least in fiction), we can see WHY they're good.

It's adorable how the meathead from Avatar is still the poster boy for HFY even though it's because of people like him that lead to the humans' defeat in the first place. Our endgame is the stars, and it's baffling to think there are people who believe it belongs solely to humanity.

You can puff your chest all you want, just as long as you hold your tongue the day we make contact with other forms of intelligent life. If interstellar war breaks out and my choices are "xenophobic humans" and "aliens who can get along with their spacefaring neighbors", you can be damn sure I wouldn't think twice about betraying my own kind.

10/10 gonna screencap it and repost it in every thread until it's so stale you can smell the rot through the monitor.

one time durr evul ayys showd up and terrorized duh humns until we drank da poisonous stuff nown as alcyhol (lethal 2 everyun else dont drink) and used are adrenline (human only donut steel aliens) and kicked der asses and den durr ayys were all 'o no!' and we were like 'dont fuck with mcduff!'

I'd read HFY about that, desu. Humans in recent years have become extremist galactic jingoists, but some humans rejecting that and defecting to the galactic empire, because they believe humanity has abandoned what made them human.

MUH REVURSE ENGINEERAN

>literally posting a Tumblr screencap

Get the fuck off of my board

Reminder, internet tribalism is all well and fun, but don't overindulge!

9/11 would fly again.
Totally read the first as captain gaston and the other as officer Mumford and Son

I mean look at this shit, we screech and fling shit like monkeys over website rivalry and murder each other because those guys were born on the wrong side of the river.
That's why I can't take HFY stories where humanity is a perfect consensus hivemind seriously.

O H S N A P

I do not like todays HFY.
It's merely humanity kicking arse. Yeah, that was fun when I was 15. We're always technologically, cognitively,or biologically superior in some way. We win the battle before it was even started.

'real' HFY is when the bad qualities of man is shown as good. When our cruelty, our harsh determination for the demise of our enemies, the capability of using something like children, the epitome of innocense, just to further our goals. The 'qualities' that killed hundreds of slaves during the construction of the pyramids, the willingness to use other humans as cattle for material profit.

In short, we are not good in any moral compass. But like with a dark joke, where one spits in the face of depression in order to overcome it, we do so too with HFY. We gaze upon the millions of starving children, the brewing of conflicts that have been waiting for long times. We stare at the very destruction of our planet as we pollute and strip-mine it into obscurity.

What we gaze upon is the results of mankind. What we gaze upon is HFY, and that we gaze upon is not this thread, as it is merely a pale imitation of forgotten times, strip-mined by mediocrity and the simple-minded into obscurity.

this might have been an interesting read if it hadn't burned my eyes out

You are conveying my opinion perfectly without me even saying anything.

Feel free to go write some Mr. Quadschan

check'd

>'real' HFY is when future humans are just as much retarded dickbags as modern humans are.

Hahaha no.

I'd rather HFY stay dead than go back to the idiotic days of "Yeah! Humans pollute the planet we live on and contaminate our own water supplies! We murder each other for arbitrary reasons and treat people with brown skin as subhumans for shits and giggles! Aren't we great?"

The only decent HFY was back in the beginning where it was mostly in the form of little factoids and rumors told from one alien to another.

It actually is. It's about a human making life better for others and, when the situation called for it, sacrificing herself. Kaban showed how humanity can't run very fast, or fly through the sky or swim, but we will for those we love.

This is more pointed by the fact that she's one of the two last remaining humans on the planet, and she herself isn't entirely human

Don't mind me, just bumping the thread. Nothing gets user saltier than HFY threads.

A good game for some well-written setting-established HFY is Warbirds. When the Space Age module released, they put humans in the "warrior race," slot.

See, our planet has heavier gravity than normal. Most populated planets are between 60-80% our gravity. This means that in space we dominate since no one else can handle high-G maneuvers like we can, and the idea of starfighters intense enough to strafe and destroy warships without getting slapped down in the process literally didn't exist in the Stellar Neighborhood before we introduced them.

We also got SUPER lucky in that the macguffin rock that powers pretty much all of our shit lets out what are effectively Minovsky Particles from Gundam, so it trashes over-sensitive sensors and technology and forces other races to fight at the mostly-WVR of our fighters and warships.

A combination of superior combat biology and luck with tech effectively ensures that we brought Star Wars-tier "starfighters dominate the meta," space jets AND are the best at piloting them.

I suspect that most of the people shrieking about HFY and having pride in one's identify are the same bitter, jealous assholes that applauded "You didn't build that" a few years ago. Having pride in at least one aspect of humanity or the willingness to explore another user's pride in humanity are a prerequisite to enjoy HFY. If you can't muster that up, please hide the thread and move on. Nobody forces you to read these posts. Polite sage for metaposting.

>you didn't build that
Explain?

From 2012.
youtube.com/watch?v=192oEC5TX_Q

I understand the political meme. I meant how do you think it connects to HFY?

The point is we achieve these fictional feats while remaining every bit as fucked as we are now. There's no grand unification of humankind. HFY should be about us succeeding or winning in spite of our worst nature and impulses

Why is this shit here? It's not traditional games, and it's such cringe shit.

>not traditional games
This is the most retarded argument. When has that ever stopped us before?

Besides, the threads have a basis in not appreciating where humanity sits in RPGs: the jack-of-all-stats or "adaptability," race. HFY was a lashing out against us being a boring species. So yes, HFY does have a basis on Veeky Forums.

I like this because it's both awesome and likely to be at least half true. Earth's gravity is such that a solid fuel rocket needs to be 95% fuel by mass to reach escape velocity. We're bumping ugliesq with the upper bound of how heavy a planet can be before it precludes conventional spaceflight entirely. Humans are heavy worlders by this standard, which suggests abnormally high strength and density, and that's where a lot of the derivative EARTH IS A DEATH WORLD and OO RAH SPESS MURAHNES HFY comes from. Even without Minovsky Particles, you could quite easily have a setup where humanity's hat derives from gravity.
>human pilots and zero g astronauts are tougher and crazier than anyone else due to gravity resistance, like you described
>humans are valuable pack mules for locations where wheels or hover vehicles won't work, especially on lower gravity planets where a single human can carry hundreds of pounds without much issue
>Human electronics are all Nintendium compared to ayy tech because everything is designed to resist 1g drops and crashes, high air and water pressure, etc.
>O'Neill cylinders and other spinny space colonies don't have to fear alien boarding parties because the ayys get pinned to the floor and moan weakly before they can do anything
>standard Earth wildlife become horrifying turbo monsters by alien standards
>imagine throwing angry grizzly bears into a spaceship set to 0.7g, filled with squishy, lightly armored aliens whose weapons don't penetrate flesh and fur very well

It's the same self hating mindset. People who go in for collectivism, mass importation of third worlders, white guilt, etc. do it because they think every aspect of their own identity is bad or wrong. This means that HFY just pisses them off. I'll stop talking about it now because we're veering dangerously close to /pol/ topics.

This fag is a prime example.

One of my favorite things about the Warbirds Space Age HFY is that there are still downsides to our superior traits that we need to work past.

Mechanically, our "combat biology," and particular technology translates in human characters having proficiency in melee and ranged combat against other species, our starfighters being inherently better, and aliens taking penalties at high-G dogfights and aerial stunts.

This comes with downsides. The first is that we have to work harder to be liked. When even Jenny in accounting is considered dangerous, the slightest social slip-up or scandal results in prejudices against us for being dumb violent brutes rear their ugly heads.

The other downside is our tech. Our primary power source's pseudo-Minovsky side-effect means that high-grade radar, wireless, and otherwise sensitive tech doesn't work that well without a great deal of ECM-hardening, so our technology is considered simple and rough, just like us. Our engines also run really hot, so we had to learn BVR combat pretty quick when heat-seeker technology jumped forward when xenos realized that their radar missiles don't work that well against us at all, but their heat-seekers gained a benefit. BVR doesn't last too long--our starships are not too tough compared to the rest of the Stellar Neighborhood, but they are stupid fast--but it is still something that came with growing pains.

I am now imagining Jenny from accounting being a deep cover deniable asset that the space corporation uses as a one woman bank vault breeching team. Her gear consists of a crowbar, a hammer, and a gunsmith's punch. Turns out that "tough enough to require explosives to crack" is a pretty low standard when most bodybuilders on wimputron 9 are unable to open a sealed jar of pickles without serious mechanical aid.

That's actually pretty interesting.

I doubt it's that extreme (though the Neighborhood is huge, so you know, it could be), but one of the major facets of humanity in this franchise is that we're the toughest on the block, our tech drags those that rely on it down to our level, and because of those facts we're the best at making small numbers count; none of those reasons gives the more Imperial cultures cause to like us much, but for those same reasons we're the most popular mercenaries of the Neighborhood. Especially to those who cannot fight well for themselves. After all, smacking down superior numbers is good for propaganda; the Guild loves good propaganda.

>Besides, the threads have a basis in not appreciating where humanity sits in RPGs: the jack-of-all-stats or "adaptability," race

That's just dumb bullshit HFY fags bring up when all they're really doing is ripping off America Fuck Yeah while being upset about Avatar.

This has always been more /tv/ than it has been Veeky Forums, and that's obvious by how all these HFY stories show that the people who write them have no experience with any actual science fiction writing outside of what you can find on bad cable.

People who hate HFY don't hate humanity. They actually love humanity, and probably love it more genuinely than you do, since they can actually look at humanity as it is, and not through the insane distorted lens your process it through.

They don't hate humanity. They just hate you.

A big issue I have with most HFY fiction is that humanity's advantage is almost always some sort of ridiculous physical/combat advantage. It's always something we have that just makes us the perfect little soldiers who can take on the Ug'valeshkrekevul Empire, who has a hundred thousand Starkillers and a trillion times the resources of the Federation (It's always a Federation) and manage to win AGAINST THE ODDS all because the Ayys somehow lack _____. It's Hollywood schlock in written form.

I would love it more if say, Humanity as explorers, or Humanity as artists was a concept got explored more, and stopped cribbing Heinlein already.

> The 'qualities' that killed hundreds of slaves during the construction of the pyramids
there are few things that can trigger me more then shit like this.

Here user, have this bandage. you can use it to deal with that bleeding heart of yours.

I'm a bigger fan of moderate HFY that effectively points out "you know this thing we take for granted? Might actually give us an edge against aliens." The Heavy Worlder and Endurance angles are my favorites in that regard.

The thing about HFY is that it's only good in moderation. Mass Effect-styled "we're rad cos we're stubborn/adaptable and just the best ever," is so cringe and boring, while at the same time this fucking queer is reason number one on why lashing out in the opposite direction is just as bad.

I like this thing:

fanfiction.net/s/11868723/1/The-Human-War

The problem is that it so often verges into the ridiculous, like 'Humans breathe oxygen, so we win', or 'Humans have an imagination, so we win', which are just so fucking overplayed.

Yes, lots of HFY is complete shit, because MOST fanfiction is complete shit.
This does not damn the entire concept of HFY, however.

>I would love it more if say, Humanity as explorers, or Humanity as artists was a concept got explored more, and stopped cribbing Heinlein already.
The problem with "humanity as explorers" is that it's either in a largely benevolent universe, at which point your HFY looks a lot like Star Trek fanfiction, or it's not, and our exploration brings us into conflict with some grouchy aliens and we get our shit slapped in, like Babylon 5.

ifhumans had to get a "racial" advantage - it would probably BE our awfulness , we have such little regard for the lives of us and others that we could well be the space jihadis

the other races might have more advanced AI drones than us, but we just mutilate a pilot so that they fit inside a suit to compensate, our ships might give us radiation poisoning but they are slightly faster - we are willing to pay the prices other races have become to civilized to consider - we are the space orcs

>just discovered existentialism

i dont see how this has anything to do with it, i was just annoyed with the shitty humanwank and tried to think of an actual reason humans might be lasting in wars against more advanced and powerful foes

Seriously, a completely neutral reason is that we're heavy worlders. As noted above, we need about a 95% fuel-to-body ratio for our rockets to get out of atmosphere; we're on the heaviest edge of people who could reach a galactic community.

we need more dakka

>not gone

How do we make it gone?

GTFO already, you corpse-parading queers.

That's no way to be a neighbor, user.

I think that guy had alzheimers or something similar.
He tried to sell that thing to army. They had no need for such a device.

Also in an interview the engineer said he originally intended to create multibarrel gun similar to gatling guns, but eventually decided to use a simpler design.
I think it's really neat invention. Unlike this other Finnish monstrosity.

In known space, humans are better adjusted than kzinti, and also lucky. Lucky is a genetiv human trait.

In Uplift setting, humans are radically disadvantaged due to "being uplifted" outside the established society and its institutions. That's also the source of their primary specialness, and strength- though they remain broke, tiny, and poor.

Shitting on your neighbors lawn is also no way to be a neighbor.

So stop shitting on our lawn already, and stick to r/HFY.

>get this shit off my lawn!
>while /40k general/ and /mtg/ threads go on and on
Can't have it both ways, sonny-Jim.

>People who hate HFY don't hate humanity. They actually love humanity, and probably love it more genuinely than you do, since they can actually look at humanity as it is, and not through the insane distorted lens your process it through.

>this meme again
>MY perception of humanity is right because YOURS is wrong
lmao

>HFYfag actually believes in HFY

Even other HFYfags aren't that delusional.

Ask yourself if you're being the person Mr Rogers would want you to be

Don't blaspheme by carting around the name of Mr. Rogers and trying to attach it to this maggot-riddled corpse of pathetic faggotry.

Mr. Rogers never told you to be a faggot, so why are you trying so hard to be the biggest faggot you can be?

This. Modern Generals more cancerous than even CYOA threads.

Those are at least traditional games, and as bad as they are, you need to be one hell of a delusional faggot to not think that HFY is worse.

Why does Veeky Forums get so triggered by HFY content?

Is it really that hard to just ignore a thread with content you don't like?

Because it's not just one thread, but a group of fags who keep trying to make these threads.

You've got Reddit. Keep your cancer there.

Posting by Imperial Decree!

there could also be races from worlds heavier than ours, or that develop density in organs/ bones through artificial means - technology renders biological differences irrelevant in the majority. whereas cultures remain regardless of such things

Partially, because it's shit, and partially because you idiots bump these threads with terrible screencaps just to prolong them. You guys will keep necroing these threads for as long as you can, so every post telling you guys to quit shitting up this board helps bring these awful threads closer to the bump limit.

Does anyone have that story about the aliens that uplifted humanity? In the story and aggressive species attacked humans and than the humans wiped them out than other species attacked and humans wiped them out and now the first species no longer uplifts primitive species

>implying I do
>implying it doesn't change the fact that your entire argument boils down to "MY perception of humanity is right and anything else is wrong"
Different people value different qualities, bruv, no need to get autistic about it.

It's literally one thread.
A single thread on an entire board.
That shows up once every month or every two months.

At the very least, it serves to cycle out a few threads which are close to dying.

whats animu is this semen demon from?

Hate hurts the butt, the only way to relieve the butthurt is to be a pain in someone else's ass.

No, it's literally people trying to resurrect a dead piece of shit, spamming a board with shitty screencaps far more than a single time as you claim.

If this was the last of these threads, and for it to finally be "literally one thread", we could all rejoice, but instead you fags will keep trying to bring back what was exiled to Reddit here like you think anyone wants to read these awful screencaps.

HFY died because it was shit, and somehow only managed to get shittier.

Anyone?

Apparently. I don't even see one of these threads a week. They're not a general or the actual cancer that was shitting up Veeky Forums (quest threads).

Amagi Brilliant Park.

>there could also be races from worlds heavier than ours
Yeah by like .5m/s^2 greater gravity at most. Otherwise rockets can't reach orbit, ever. Unless they get ridiculously lucky and harness some macguffin antigravity power source that they can use to build working spaceships without the existence of a rocket era (suuuuper unlikely) any "heavy worlders" relative to Earth would remain bound to their own planet until they eventually went extinct.