Compilation of medieval bestiaries:
bestiary.ca/

Middle ages worldbuilding tools:
www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/demog.htm
qzil.com/kingdom/
lucidphoenix.com/dnd/demo/kingdom.asp
mathemagician.net/Town.html

QUESTIONS:
Describe a leader in your setting, whether a king or just a particular interesting parent. What makes them uniquely capable to lead others in your setting (or uniquely awful at it)?

How have past leaders influenced the present? Do people remember these leaders?

How are leaders chosen? Divine favor, popular vote, technocratic cyborg leader-building?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailywritingtips.com/100-exquisite-adjectives/
docs.google.com/document/d/1Ixe_PyveF9lAc5WJ2N7wBB0iBrxqeEmqQsd27p8K0QQ/edit?usp=sharing
nps.gov/meve/learn/historyculture/cliff_dwellings_home.htm
imgur.com/a/Vdj8b
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Anyone have a list of adjectives about people, like Strong, Clever, Cowardly, Lazy, Gracious, etc.?

I need like 100 of them...

Thanks.

I'll give you a few that I can come up with off the top of my head.
-Passive
-Domineering
-Crude
-Selfish
-Ambitious
-Histrionic
-Violent
-Generous
-Stubborn
-Arrogant
-Manipulative
-Conservative
-Contrarian
-Assertive
-Empathetic
-Jocular
-Aloof
-Helpful
-Brave
-Nosy
-Nebbish
-Callous
-Cynical
-Crass
-Meticulous

There's 25. That should put a dent in it.

If you get truly desperate here's a list of "exquisite" ones

dailywritingtips.com/100-exquisite-adjectives/

Thanks!

So here's my list in case someone wants to use it.

Random Attributes
(Roll 1d20 for the row, then 1d6 for the word)
1 Adamant Adroit Aloof Ambitious Animistic Apologetic
2 Arcadian Arrogant Assertive Baleful Bellicose Bilious
3 Boisterous Boorish Brave Calamitous Callous Caustic
4 Charming Clever Comely Conservating Contemplative Contrary
5 Corpulent Cowardly Cranky Crass Crude Cunning
6 Cynical Dawdling Dextrous Didactic Dilatory Domineering
7 Dowdy Efficient Effulgent Empathetic Entertaining Equitabl
8 Fair Fastidious Fat Feckless Flamboyant Frugal
9 Furious Garrulous Generous Graceful Handsome Hateful
10 Healthy Helpful Histrionic Histrionic Hubristic Incendiary
11 Insidious Insolent Intransigent Invidious Irksome Jocular
12 Jocular Judicious Lachrymose Lavish Learned Loquacious
13 Manipulative Mannered Menacing Mendacious Meticulous Mordant
14 Munificent Naïve Nebbish Nefarious Nosy Noxious Obtuse
15 Passive Petulant Pretentious Puckish Pungent Rhadamantine
16 Rugged Sagacious Sclerotic Selfish Serpentine Sharp
17 Shy Sleepy Slow Smelly Sneaky Solemn
18 Speedy Strong Stubborn Swift Tenacious Thin
19 Tough Treacherous Turgid Violent Voracious Whiny
20 Wrathful Wise Wretched Xenophobic Zealous

>Describe a leader in your setting:
Xo: first to receive the divine Word of Mercy from the Goddess of Light. He helped rally humanity as it was losing battle after battle to the onslaught of dwarves descending from their mountain holds. Where other leaders sought to meet the dwarves in open batte, Xo knew to use their mountainous adaptations agaisnt them. He led the underfolk through dank swamps, across rivers, and endless steppes. Rather than all out engagements with phalanxes against the much more bulky and metal clad dwarves, Xo recommended horse archers and peltasts to fight the dwarves. Although casualties were still high for the human forces, the dwarves were forced into a temporary retreat. A couple more years of incursions into human lands finally took their toll of the stuntlings. Human diseases spread like wildfire in the cramped corridors and stagnant air of dwarf holds. Their armies returned to cities almost made empty. After eight years of yearly attacks, the holds were silenced. Eventually they died off. Xo lived to see it all happen. From a young man into his sixteenth winter to an old man who had seen over seventy four.

>How have past leaders influenced the present:
Xo's story has adapted to the various empires to rise after his legacy: Xonai to the Quintulu Conglomerate, Xui to the Tigin Khaganate, Zoria to the Holy Empire. Each emperor harkens back to Xo in order build legitimacy. This of course ended up making Xo's tale into more a big fish story than true history. No one would dare call it out however - no matter how blatant it is.

>How are leaders chosen:
Power, wealth, charisma, ruthlessness, cunning, and the other usual traits. The Holy Empire has a unique process that gives powerful legitimacy to their leaders. When the emperor dies, the divine power given to him by the goddess chooses a male relative of the deceased. Once chosen, the power stays with the person for life. They are the religious and political leader of the empire

I've been hard pressed coming up with ideas for a Foil nation to an Empire that is basically Post Industrial/ Scarcity In a fantasy setting. The Empire is meant to be ridiculously powerful, but they have a ridiculously powerful adversary. The Empire is plotted out cultural/militarily/economically, but I have little ideas for the Foil nation other than they are the more Traditional Big Bad Fantasy Empire. The setting is Low Fantasy Magic is mythical

How would a nation with traditional means of production counter a highly professional and supplied Military that uses strict and tactical formations in a similar way to the Roman Legions. What types or weapons counter Scutum/tower shield formations.

Is this thread for discussing rules and adventures too, or just campaign setting stuff?

/gdg/ is probably better for rules, but adventures definitely belong here

Bump

'm working on a renaissance/western esque setting.

The world is a very similar to North America(South America will be worked on later).

The USA is an alliance of smaller terroritories that are very losely ruled. Most states are weaker and poor, some even sparely populated, and filled with unintelligent but gentlefolk, racial majorites being geography based. The weaker states are mainly pushed around by the larger more powerful states close to them. So its like a country divide into a few cultural/political different countries, each with their own vassal states.

Canada exists as a sort of frontier/western kingdom. It is made a a few large city-state like hubs surrounded by small settlements.
Newfoundland(not including labrador) is its own republic, divided into 3 sections, that has a surplus of strategic minerals like iron, nickel, and sulfur, as a well as loads of fish and exotic wildilfe.
Quebec, new brunswick, nova scotia, and a handful of states make up a French-type kingdom with a focus of navy and trade.

Alsaska is known as the free territories, filled with viking like epic stronghold that behave like city states.

Part of northen canada, inhabited by subhuman cannibal tribes(similar tribes litter "canada") and undead/spirits. Far north is the cursed lands.

Part of southern USA, Texas, and a bit of mexico is its own democratic state that behaves a lot like Texas/the confederation. Xenophobic and isolationist, also contrarian(although rarely violent) to Northern governments. Uses slaves from south america, hawaii, and mexico regions.

Hawaii is a far off, peaceful islander area, filled with exotic life and friendly tribes. A place of mysticism.

The Caribbean is a pirate-friendly nation, more like a band of wartribes. They pillage and raid the coasts of north america and south america alike. Often taking slaves.

Mexico is a spanish-esque kingdom that is extremely religious. To the point of commonly burning foreigners for heresy, no matter where in the world the find them, assuming they have the force. Their military is extremely strong, and also lead by gluttonous politicians. The only 3 things keeping them from dominating most of the continent is a the Caribbean raids, Sub-humanoid goat people tribes that are native to the mexican region,
The cannibal warbands from south america that constantly try to rape/enslave/pillage along their borders.

There are a few big religions, a few minor religions, and a few pockets of unique cults.

The area mainly uses renaissance technology, with a few coal powered elements like trains, Deadly but inaccurate turrets, and steampowered ferries/freighters/warships.

The only big geological differences are just the sizing of some spots. The only major change is that the Atlantic ocean and the great lakes are connected by large straight that sort of eliminates the land between them. Except for an island, that is a city-state. A very posh spot and vacation home for many politicians around the world. Also very religious.

I'm currently adapting the rules of other works to fit my setting. I'm currently trying to think of different player/npc races that I can replace dwarves, halflings, and elves with.

I've got a lot of cities, local cultures, variations among common troops, a few famous people, and some notable savage territories places throughout.

It is currently playable but kind of limited in detail/options for different campaigns. I'm really trying to flesh out the lore, but mainly focusing on adding fauna, monsters, and types of tribes to replace orcs/beastmen/goblins.

Ill respond to questions in OP next post. Please gib good ideas.

>Describe a leader in your setting, whether a king or just a particular interesting parent.

There's a Lady of the vampires who's actually quite popular with the human residents. She's fair, asks for little blood (mostly livestock) and generally governs nicely. Most vampires would rule over a single town only, but they manage to have quite a powerful army all the same.

>What makes them uniquely capable to lead others in your setting (or uniquely awful at it)?

She's generally level headed and doesn't try and fuck with people. It's made her a lot of enemies in the other vampire clans, but her family bloodline is very strong.

>How have past leaders influenced the present? Do people remember these leaders?

The ancestor Kings of dwarfkind are remembered as Gods, generally all noble lines are well remembered.

>How are leaders chosen? Divine favor, popular vote, technocratic cyborg leader-building?
Mostly through the bloodline, divine right of kings and all that.

>Describe a leader in your setting, whether a king or just a particular interesting parent. What makes them uniquely capable to lead others in your setting (or uniquely awful at it)?

Canada(still thinking of something to rename it.) is led by a monarchy. Currently the king, Truden Piear(pronounced pee-arrr) has only recently taken throne. Many still refer him to him as Prince Piear. His wife, Judith Piear, is a french territory princess who is also apart of a noble-populated cult. While her husband is refereed to as prince, people call her Queen Judith. This is because its common belief she wears the pants in the relationship, and dictates all policies through Truden. The king is a narcist, airhead, but cavalier. Friendly but still full of himself. Judith, is cruel, but extremely smart. She is also a top grade herbalist and duelist's training.
>How have past leaders influenced the present? Do people remember these leaders?
There are past few leaders in the history of all countries. Like the famous general who became king of Mespenia(mexico) who turned the small country into the large powerhouse it is. He is Alexander Cortez, a mix of alexander the great and General Cortez.
Or the famous president who, under his rule, the USA, while still loosely ruled behaved the most like a single entity then it ever has. The big 5 governors and even the president of the texas faction, all were famous and a great team. A great zombie-outbreak type plague/horde ravaged the land and the current cure for said disease, named Gutwashington potion, after the president Linc Washington.

>How are leaders chosen? Divine favor, popular vote, technocratic cyborg leader-building?

Some places act like democracies, some are monarchies. Some city states behave like communist bubbles, or a sort of papal state. Some tribes and areas are ruled by the current strongest despot.

My current favorite leader is a queen of one of the city states in the northern free territories. A skilled warrior queen, similar to Guts in fighting style. She rules her people graciously, and kindley. Very patriotic and loves her people.

Although the only reason her people live so well, is because of the raiding and enslaving off most outsiders. The only outsiders allowed in her lands are ones who have a local(one who may be a business partner or someone met on travels) who will vouch for them.

She wished to ultimately exterminate any vampire or barbarian clans within her lands.

And while she is always acts like a moody bitch to outsiders, she at leasts respects those who hunt babarians/vampires or users of the dark arts.

Also hangs any entertainers, like actors or musicians

Hunting for forests that capture my starting setting. Here's one. I like the gloomy, 2spooky atmosphere.

What kind of warriors would a Romani type people have?

Gladiotor/barbarian types
Obvious archers and light magicians.
Also duelist/fencer types.
I'd also throw a few bear-mode heavy plate armor men if you feel their people can afford it.

I might just use all of them. They're meant to be elite bodyguards for my Vampire lords (this coming from a line in Dracula where the Count's "gypsies" were meant to be his guard).

today is my map's first anniversary

hopefully I have passed the 33% complete mark

1 year ago, when it was a doodle for a one-shot

bonus: 3 years ago, this is actually the same png file, it's just been edited beyond recognition multiple times

kek wills it.

I also recommend throwing axeman, for a fun time.

Very nice, vampire/vampire employed gypsies are both fitting and almost alluding to the occultist/economic blood-sucking of real life gypsies :^)

Well they are discriminated for it.

But then again that happens anyway since they're from the East. I.e. Not!Transylvania.

In my world I currently have a vlad the impaler type king. The are neighboring area filled with large savage vampire tribes.

He impales vampire mongrels and the neighboring global powerhouse on thin steel crosses of varying heights, that spit the legs in half length wise as it moves from ass to mouth.

Some men are tied to the crosses, with the thin sharp sides slid into their arm muscles and barely touching bone, and the crosses are heated up until the victim roasts to death.

Last campaign, our bard tried to lie to him and had an epic fail. The party was then thrown in jail while he was tied to a cross. When the party escapes and recovers their gear, they arrive to find the execution mid way.

The bard had to make roles with withstand the pain and not take mental/physical penalties.
The party managed to slay them in time to save him with moderately good health points, but his arms and wrists were injured and scarred badly.
The bard, from then on, the bard suffered penalties on attacks and occasional had muscle spasms during social situations.... like causing him to drop a holy chalice part of a ceremony, summoning a demon as consequence

>vampire mongrels

What constitutes a vampire mongrel?

Feral vampires. Humanoid, but basically caveman like intelligence. They live more like packs of starving wolves with basic weapons and superhuman ability. Each pack/tribe/warband has an alpha. Some alphas live long enough to amass enough followers, and feast on enough humans, to behave like a sort of less intelligent vampire lord. Smarter than their brothers but not smart enough to rule a country or group of settlements.

Their land is filled with mountains and jungle. Monasteries and holy fortresses are bastions of hope for the blight lands. The land is a tainted and cursed land, with any dead eventually reanimating into a feral vampire who, like all vampires, only become more human like with the more blood they drink.

Therefore, plenty of vampires roving around. There is a sort of hidden cult in the mountaintops, that is a very religious and isolationist ancient vampire clan. They are responsible for creating the curse, as it sucks the life out of the land, reducing their need to feed to humans being a rare delicacy. They also want the vampires to keep outsiders away.
They are neutral due to respecting the parties ability to traverse the land without dying, but are leaning toward feasting on them, only not attacking if they can find use for the parties talents.

Tl;DR a half cross between vampires and zombies

Huh, very interesting.

Here is a visual aide

> tfw going through one of those spans once every few months where I feel all of my settings are ass and must be redone from the ground up
why must I be this way
I never get any shit done

Zendikar had awesome vamps.

I suffer the same. I swing between devotion and utter loathing with my setting. Too much self-doubt, since I'm looking at it more than just a self brew for casual home play.

amen.
Because of that set I often have city vampires that pretend to be normal humans.They are either weaker, lone wolf vampires that hide in cheap hovels. Or rich elites with their own families, bluedfueds and internal politics.

Magic the gathering is an inspiration goldmine.

Thanks user. Stealing this.

Grand Prince Manfred Adolar of the Principality of Vencel, after inheriting a state with an unstable economy and is the buffer state between two regional powers ready to go to war he is centralizing the military to the capital city. Along with increasing the amount of food taken from other regions putting in storage, basically prepping the capital and leaving the other cities to the upcoming war. As long as the central government survives the country will survive, at least that's his reasoning.

im thinking of doing a non organic race for rogue trader...maybe some forgotten men of iron but im not sure what their motivations/culture would be like

Yup. I really love how they have these insectoid influences in stuff like their armor. I really wish I could find more of it (especially since I'm trying to develop a not!Drow race who craft armor and weapons from giant insects).

Also same. I think it's a mix of perfectionism and self-doubt. You want your setting to be excellent because you have high standards, but you also feel like you don't match up to them. Since this happens to me when I write nearly all the time, I actually looked it up. Seems like it's actually not that uncommon.

Mind if I pitch you guys some factions for my setting in a massive free-port asteroid? The setting takes place in essentially a blockaded system where two warring superstates have for all intents and purposes blocked off this system and station trying to deny each other access so in the end denying everyone access and things have broken down.

>The Machinists Union (Rebellious Communist Robots)
>Men and Women of the Mining Guild
>Port Security Troops
>Experiments of the Science Module
>Marooned Pirates at Port
>Worshipers of Fusion
>Outskinners otherwise known as Lowgravvers
>The Agri-Workers Coop
>[Insert good name for a loose knit confederation of Crime Families, Drug Cartels, and Info Brokers]

any inkarnate alternatives? My world is too big to map neatly :(

pic related

how did you map this

A Theocratic Merchant Republic. Very religious and highly disciplined. They see Wealth as being a Divine manifestation of God's Will. You gain the right to vote by joining the Church. You gain more/better voting power by doing well in business.

The post-scarcity Empire terrifies and disgusts them. No personal wealth means you're both a failure and a terrible sinner, or even a heretic!

Also, military: Religious Fervor.

Yes, literally. People hope for wealth, so they perfect their art so as to be the best and get the most customers. Hence, the swordsmiths and such are unbelievably talented, and all their works are near-magical.

Combine that with basically everyone channeling their faith into a low-key form of magic, and you have a very potent foe.

I dunno know, but I've always found the concept of a race that views profit and business to the point of a religious duty to be interesting.
>May our ledgers become ocean, our margins see Centauri. In the name of profit, I commit thee... to the Void
I seriously need to make some guys like this who worship Mammon or something.

>What types or weapons counter Scutum/tower shield formations.

Flame throwers or accurate "large stone" throwers
If terrain is in the control of the defenders, steep hills and trenches/pits are horrible for that formation.

I'd leave out the light magicians. Vampires hate light. Or are you making that different?

Cool, has a DS9 atmosphere with a Titan AE feel.

Bump.

cursor-drawn in paintNET, a few parts were generated but I redraw those eventually

Took about 1500 to 2500 hours so far

Yeah I probably should.

This is actually a wonderful Idea as the Empire is a secular nation thats post Separation of powers. The Emperor is an "elected" position and not in any way divine.

Gives a great foil

that's some impressive work user

What do you think, /wbg/?

docs.google.com/document/d/1Ixe_PyveF9lAc5WJ2N7wBB0iBrxqeEmqQsd27p8K0QQ/edit?usp=sharing

Just a cursory glance reminds me a lot of Exalted. I'll try to look over the rest later.

I meant like low-tier spells.

Not actually light. My mistake.

Stuff like minor fireballs?

Side note, would making things like Fairies, Yokai, and other sorts of spirits having the same origin (basically Istari from LoTR).

Could a civilization spring up in an area similar to the grand canyon?

What determines military doctrine for a feudal medieval kingdom?
Conventional logic and experience?
Resources at hand and the means to use them?
The doctrine of your neighbors?

Yo.

nps.gov/meve/learn/historyculture/cliff_dwellings_home.htm

Little bit of each. It's not a feudal kingdom, but take Ancient Greece.

Hoplite warfare became popular for several reasons. Perhaps the most important was that the hoplite soldiers were citizens. Each one had a job back home, and each was an important part of the economy. The city states could not afford long, attrition-based warfare. It would have devastated the economy to keep fighting for years on end, and would likely have resulted in rebellion at home (especially in Sparta).

Hoplite warfare is designed for decisive battles with relatively low casualties. In many ways, Greek warfare almost became a ritual. Even though cavalry was fucking awesome, the Greeks tended not to use it much because they glorified the hoplite so much. It was a unit that represented the polis perfectly: citizen soldiers working together in one coherent unit fighting another city's citizenry doing the same thing. Which ever city managed to push the other's army from the field won, having proved its citizens superior.
Yes, a lot of good cavalry would have changed everything (and was part of why Philip did so well later), but to the Greeks there was something queer about a man wealthy enough to afford a hoplite panoply and gear, but who chose instead to go to war sitting down (ie, riding a horse).

So, yeah, resources and economic concerns play a big part, but sheer pig-headedness and tradition also play huge role. There's a reason why new technology and tactics, or a foreign enemy using their own tactics, can be so devastating when first introduced (Rome v Macedon or Carthage, Napoleon, guns in Japan, Philip/Alexander, a numerically inferior Theban army defeating the Spartans in a straight up battle, ect).
That being said, there are probably hundreds of instances of failed new tactics.

Large Island Empire surrounded by aggressive seafaring nation. Could be Selkies or Spaniards.

>/wbg/ - Worldbuilding General

Sure, I've got something to share.

I just finished drawing this map up last night of, "Dragon (and nothing but Dragons) Island" or more officially known as 'Varanus Island'.

The whole land is about the size of Madagascar and are a series of volcanic islands... Their main gimmick however is:

Every animal indigenous to these islands larger than a tea kettle is a Dragon.
Somehow Dragons managed to shoehorns themselves into almost every ecological niche within and around the island and that's how it's stayed.

I plan on using the place as my settings Australia.

first real attempt...wish i had some more skills

Inspired by South America?

I asked in the draw thread if someone could sketch me someone neat in a draw thread hoping for some one to take it upon themselves. or maybe someone here could draw it up.

Not really. Had like two ideas. the plains being the largest part and the pennisula called little rock, after that I just used cut out random shapes and slowly filled it in with features I thought could work. Granted around the Three Kings should all be a swamp area...interested or pic related?

I've always found opposed magic systems to be interesting. Stuff like the saidin/saidar from Wheel of Time and even the positive and negative magics from Sword of Truth (quite possibly the only thing I like about the book).

Does anyone here have a magic system like that? I'm toying with a white/black, or good/evil split and I'm looking for ideas.

1/2

>Describe a leader in your setting, whether a king or just a particular interesting parent. What makes them uniquely capable to lead others in your setting (or uniquely awful at it)?
Since I wanted to have a historical character in my campaign that could be universally considered an idiot, I thought this up. Here it goes:

King Gelfri von Ostenfeld, now known to his people as The Great Disgrace, was the final king of Allenfel, one of the three Western Kingdoms. After already building a reputation as a shameless narcissist, his temper came to be his ruin during a grand tourney consisting of the world's leaders and their champions. Upon insisting on personally competing in a joust, he was beaten by the champion of the Sirasean King, whereupon he accused his opponent of foul play and insisted the Sirasean champion be punished for his transgression. After the Sirasean king's refusal of any such punishment, King Gelfri left for home, promising a reprisal. Upon arriving back in his kingdom, he asked for his nobles to muster an army to launch an invasion over the mountains into the eastern lands against Sirasea, which was met by a near universal refusal. Undeterred, he spent the upcoming winter gathering a small force from his own lands, setting off upon the first day of warm weather. Upon his journey into the mountains, the warm weather gave way to a cold snap, forcing the army to march through the cold as goblin tribes raid his supply wagons. Upon reaching the other side, his supplies had dwindled greatly and would not last the march across the Badlands, a large area of minor independent city-states. At first he sent messengers out, requesting to trade for supplies, to a few nearby lords, which had been turned down.

2/2

Continuing my story:

Upon hearing the refusal, Gelfri set about pillaging one of the nearby city-states and laying siege to their castle. During one night of the siege, the local lord Rewalt, knowing his impending defeat, burned the grain stocks in the castle and managed to escape, leaving his troops to die and going to a more powerful nearby lord to request help. Upon hearing the news, the other lord accepted this plea and sent out scouts to survey and harass Gelfri's forces as he mustered up his own army. Gelfri managed to capture the castle after Rewalt's men surrendered and found the food supplies he required had been destroyed. With this news his army began slowly deserting, and upon further news of enemy cavalry harassing his men he finally gave up and began the long march home. When he returned with only one third of his original army, he came to the greater Allenfel nobles gathered in his palace, his throne replaced with a chopping block and his personal guards massacred. Gelfri and anyone related to him were lined up and executed, the nobility forming an oligarchy in place of the royal line. In addition, this event sparked a large number of Badland city-states to form a makeshift alliance to combat any further invasion, creating the Aviran Confederation.

This is what I have so far. Thoughts?

imgur.com/a/Vdj8b
what I have that fits the description.

so what do they eat? Obvs there's some very small animals but I imagine they have to eat a lot of each other.

How do i make my ancient ayylmaos architecture more original than " somewhat Monolithic with glowy bits" like the cliche.
I initially thought of bone style like giger or beksinki, but thats not the sort of feel i want for them, any ideas? perhaps neolithic looking almost

Interesting idea. Similar to how marsupials dominated australias ecology awhile back. Thylacines taking the role of wolves, megafauna like those huge-ass wombats being grazers et cetera.

I imagine over time you could easily evolve herbivore dragons. Atrophied wings and blunted teeth making a grazing animal, with some digestive changes to allow it to process plantlife. Maybe shoehorn some dragonfire in there, so some species can only eat burnt or charred vegetation.

Incredibly brutalistic? Curving, curly spires? Spiderwebbish and pillars?

Kaomu of Steelskin Clan, actual alive demigod, a god-devourerer.
Founder of Shuka-Ôshu, way of berserking, meditation and medicine.
Still rules over clan, although through his High Priest.
Every 5 years, the greatest practisioner of Shuka-ôshu journeys to hidden, sacred valley to square him off, and become new patriarch if they win.
No one has ever won, though.

Pic unrelated, just bit of laying proper guidelines on draconians

Simple carved granite hiding ayylmao tech. Shapeshifting perhaps. Or perhaps simple quartz?

or

Spherical, featureless steel-looking structures. Everything is very thin but extremely resilient to physical damage.

What would invite more intrigue is the question? monolithic structures, sleek and plain arcs and spires or stone with carvings and markings.

Anyone familiar with african mythology here? I need a few good sources on what to read for an stone age setting I´m planning to make. Since it all started basically in africa and I want to be somewhat authentic.

All I have settled on so far are the technological achievements and a few gods/forces of nature. They have everything before writing, the wheel and agriculture.

Though the idea of an butterlfy woman and her stillborn maggot child as "gods" of life and death as the heads of an ancestor worship religion.

Post a holy location/sacred site in your world, Veeky Forums

Anor Sul and Anor Lun, the towers of sun and moon, were built by the elenthi, lesser divine spirits, after their departure from earth. Anor Sul stands east of the Strait of Imohas, in the elven lands of Anduenil, while Anor Lun is west of the strait in a small kingdom of men in the land of Hesimnir.

Anor Sul shines like bright gold, while Anor Lun is made of white polished rock and has a faint luminescence at night. Neither towers' rock can be scratched by any work of mortals. Their brightness waxes and wanes with the day-night cycle and cycle of the moon.

Inside Anor Sul is a great wall carving depicting the story of the earth's creation. Anor Lun's walls are more cryptic, and many believe they show things which have bot yet come to pass.

Thousands of pilgrims visit the towers every year, but for the Dreothi (dark elves) the sacred place is the waters of Imohas itself, which they see as holy to the goddess of dusk, who they worship above all else.

Sounds neat, user.

Too bombastic structures are ususally a turn-off for me. Sleek and simple are the trademarks of an advanced culture.

My players have fucked up so bad that they turned their little valley and shitty town into a Micro Heaven.

Is sleek and curved stuff used often for ancient aliens?

>stone age setting I´m planning to make. Since it all started basically in africa and I want to be somewhat authentic
Africans don't really have anything to do with the Paleolithic though, except maybe the San. Aside from those guys, any African mythology is going to be heavily imbued with agriculture, pastoralism, metallurgy, etc. If you want pre-agricultural mythology you'd be better off looking at Australia or parts of the Americas (especially the Pacific US and Canadian coasts).

>Post a holy location/sacred site in your world, Veeky Forums

The city of Everday is the capital of the the new empire and the holy center of tge Pyrisian cult that has formed after the Shazriq Empire was destroyed.

Centered in the Ashen Sands, Everyday glows red on the horizon. A circular city built around the Pillar of Pyrisia, a massive pillar of crystal that glows with an internal flame and burns to the touch. It fell on the end days of the old empire, scorching the surrounding lands and leaving a wasteland of ash and sand. The Pyrisians see the pillars coming as retribution for the sins of the Shazriq. In the center of the pillar flickers flame in the shape of an eternally dancing woman. It is said by the Archons, creatures of stone and flame that act as Pyrisia's voice, that the dancing flame is Pyrisia herself.

Surrounding the pillar is the Court of Shimmering Sands, a walled stretch of baked land constantly exposed to the intense heat and fierce winds caused by the piller, melting the sands and shattering them. A beautiful sight to behold as the colors and lights dance along the court, but deadly with the ability to strip the flesh from bone with ease.

The walls around the court hold the Halls of the Archons, where the Archons and the ruling bodies of the empire are housed. Past that are the religious districts, the markets, and the risen housing of the social elites. Most dwellings in the city are built without windows facing the Pillar, or with heavy drapes and curtains to block the constant searing light emanating from the Pillar. Too much exposure can lead to the Red Sickness, a plight among the poor, as the try to find relief in the shadows of the elites' highrises.

Guys, is it bad that my orcs look super fucking evil when decked out for battle is because they know it causes fear in their enemies?

Does it actually cause fear mechanically or is that flowery prose?

What process do you guys usually take when crafting a world? Do you make a map first? Do you lay out cities, cultures, and so on? There's a lot of ground to cover and I'm lost.

Prose, I really like the idea of orcs as these imposing terrifying foes everytime foes meet them but kinda dislike how they're always painted as evil.

Really want a race that wants to be left alone but when they do go to war they make the enemies fear them not just in battle prowess alone.

I don't think so, but I am not sure. How ancient? The Protheans in Mass Effect had a sleek, metallic design on their structures sometimes. I was thinking more like the Forerunner-design in Halo but with even less details. No cracks in their panels, everything flows together like water.

>how ancient
The builders were the first sapients in the galaxy ancient.

Does anyone know a good resource for building a conlang's vocab? I have the syllable structure and the morphology down, I used Awkwords to spit out some blocks. I just need to know where to start with vocab, and an easy way to look at needed words.

bump

yeah.

agile, Squishy mages that cast weaker spells. The kind of mages that are no worries on their own, but really bothersome when protected by melee forces.

fuckin nice

i'll probably never go above and beyond for my own map. here, have a joke name map

If you look at Proto-Indo European and the languages that have emerged from that, you can see words that have cognates across the whole language family. These words are words that are universally important for the PIE cultures, and probably should be for your language to.

These words tend to designate family relationships (Father in English is related to Pater in Latin, and to Pita in Hindi, and to a huge number of similar sounding words throughout the PIE descendants - brother, mother, sister: all have cognates across the PIE family) or things that are important to PIE cultures, from numbers to animals to agriculture.

Google PIE vocal and check Wikipedia. Long story short - those words are the ones that will probably be most important in your own language.

Vocab, not vocal.

The Swadesh List and related lists are a good starting place if you're looking for a bunch of word-meanings shared between languages.

Greetings guys, I've been around this board for sometime, mostly just for the discussion of fantasy related things and writing stuff for the storythreads.

However some friends of mine who are into tabletop games have seen a story of mine with worldbuilding in it. I've done like three parts focused around it so far, plus they said they'd love to use my story for their game campaign.

So would it be okay if I post what I've written so far in here? They can be found in the storythread page of the Veeky Forums wiki. But I'd just wana ask if its okay for me to show it here first for you guys to see.

Maybe you could give some criticism and thoughts for the worldbuilding? Again, I got friends who wana use a setting I made for their game. Sounds okay enough?

>That being said, there are probably hundreds of instances of failed new tactics.
If they failed, they aren't new tactics, they are commander's fuckup.

I start with deciding what kind of story I want to tell and create a world as an excuse for it. Starting with elements that would directly justify them, then justify those elements and this way until I don't care anymore.

Create roots, and derive words and concepts from them. Using the Swadesh list can help in this regard, but unless you want your conlang to not just be an advanced code for English it's often better to not try to translate words directly but rather use the list as a handy way to check which ideas you haven't covered yet.