Modern General

Meme colors edition

Playing?

Hating?

Building?

Any cards you think might be sleepers like traverse?

In your opinion what's the most retarded ban WotC could do for the "health" of the format?

DO you think that Sultai, Esper and Mardu(lol) will ever be playable color combinations?

What's the worst "Ban X" you've seen?

Any cards you wish were more viable or modern playable?

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zW-fdVinUQ0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Faeries is T1.

When will fat autists stop playing this deck?

>Playing against grixis shadow
>win g1 with grapeshot because he took himself to 10 life so he could play death shadow
>g2 he has all the gravehate and removal on my enablers. i just grapeshot his shadow and then when he has exiled all my graveyard, cast madcap experiment and get platinum emperion ftw

This is why playing storm is fun

>DO you think that Sultai, Esper and Mardu(lol) will ever be playable color combinations?
Sultai I doubt. Not unless it gets outside the typical Jund/Junk style, because trapped in that vein it's just some janky "tempo" version of the deck.
Esper has potential. Good removal access, best anti-removal, it's just that they don't have a good way to get damage in outside of a combo.
Mardu has the same problems as Esper, and none of the upsides. It's a pile of removal and no beaters.

>cards you wish were more viable or modern playable?
WotC printed one or two decent blue cards in Kaladesh. Take into Custody is the cheapest instant speed version of that effect. If they'd pushed Select for Inspection more, by replacing Scry with card draw, then we might have had something else.
Reflector Mage also could have been pushed more. It would be nice as a 2-drop, either with a worse body or as an Instant. Getting banned in Standard means WotC is afraid of the idea, unfortunately, so we'll have to wait five years for another try.

>DO you think that Sultai, Esper and Mardu(lol) will ever be playable color combinations?
Does R/W burn with a black splash for Bump in the Night count as Mardu?

I think you can splash collective brutality, it's very good in the mirror

No

hope you're playing eidolon now

Storm is for self-congratulatory faggots who think they're hot shit for piloting one of the most "skill intensive" decks in the format when really it is one of the most linear, only being outmatched by Ad Nauseam and Living End

I actually saw his post the other day and decided to start working on a non-retarded version of his list. 4-of Eidolon is obviously a must.
That sounds super spicy. CB is easily my favorite black card in the format. Think it deserves mainboard slots?

>by Ad Nauseum and Burn
Ftfy senpai

I don;t think so, if you're playing the gonti/bump meme list it's really only in the board as tech in the mirror

Don't normally do the survey, but here we go

>Playing?
Burn.

>Hating?
The influx of other Burn players at the lgs. I have to dedicate 6 sideboard slots to the mirror and it's just annoying.

>Building?
Nothing right now. Thought about Storm before, but now I'm toying with the idea of Soul Sisters. I don't want to be a little bitch, but I kinda want to troll the other Burn players.

>Any cards you think might be sleepers like traverse?
Not that I know of.

>In your opinion what's the most retarded ban WotC could do for the "health" of the format?
Probably LoK or Thoughtsieze.

Maybe. I'm hoping Amonkhet can give us some spicy tech, but realistically Modern will probably be dead before BUG can be good.

>What's the worst "Ban X" you've seen?
A Stormfag last Friday got really salty after I won off Eidolon two games in a row. He ranted about how it's such a bullshit card and how it's unhealthy for the format. Eventually he stormed out of the shop.

I admit that i play storm because it causes rages and free wins. but i don't think is skill intensive.

Also i think tron is more linear, faggot

>9 mana
>does nothing
Thanks new world order.

>stormfag gets salty
>he stormed out of the shop
Gettin real tired of your shit carlos

>Eventually he stormed out of the shop.

can stop laughing

>He ranted about how it's such a bullshit card and how it's unhealthy for the format.
Lol that's what you get for playing a noninteractive deck

Is Chalice needed for Eldrazi Tron? Are there any substitutes?

Yes, the deck does need chalice to lean on because resolving it shuts down so many decks that it would otherwise just lose to. Such as Burn

Trinisphere is the only other option

>see others crying about blood moon
>tfw I only run basic forest

Loving every laugh.

>Living End
>linear
Only with the nut hands, which can be said about any deck really

But have you considered splashing red for Blood Moon in the side?

Why is butcher not a good finisher for mardu?

because it gets killed by everything. And you can easily 2 for 1 yourself.

Too many hoops to jump through to make it good

It's not very good. Better off going dark dwellers into bolt or something

Why can't they print a good Aura?

my nigger

because that "arm" he's holding is anatomically incorrect, disgusting

There are some fantastic auras in modern. in fact, there's a whole deck based around them.
youtube.com/watch?v=zW-fdVinUQ0

Delver is pretty bad relative to other modern beaters, but even it has better damage potential than Butcher.
>start swinging T2 for 3
>versus swinging T4 for 5

Gross.

Yea but not every deck is aggro or tempo

I'm not sure what you're implying. You don't mean to use Butcher in a midrange or control deck, do you?

Because none of those abilities say hexproof

Better not tell this guy about those actual people out there who like aggro decks such as Bogles. He'll be superpissed.

Let's see:
>dramatically above curve: No
>EtB effect for instant value: No
>Method to avoid removal: No
>Janky gimmick for combo: Incredibly unlikely

I don't see the point in running this.

>aggro
>bogles

luh

Turn 1 Mishra's Bauble crack to look at the top card, Cycle Street Wraith to draw card, Verdant Catacombs Fetch Overgrown Tomb, Thoughtseize take Mox Opal. Pass their upkeep draw off Mishras Bauble. Pass back to me Fetch Blood Crypt, Whispers of Emrakul to hymn them, they discard Arcbound Ravager and Blinkmoth Nexus and scoop.

> Boogles is now a Control-Combo Deck that controls the match with lifegain and forcing the enemy to a state of boredom.

Also in hand I had fatal push and tarfire to remove any creatures he could manage to play next turn

Remember your Deck Trivializing 101: Bogles; like Burn, but dumber.

Why is Gruul Zoo better than Naya Zoo?

Because white is for pussies. Speed is your game, Grulls the name

Rate my shitbrew.
Been playing it on xmage a fair bit, so fair got a few wins from rage quitters.

I call it...
>no fun allowed

>Instants
Fiery Impulse x 2
Lightning Bolt x 4
Mana Leak x 4
Spell Snare x 3
Terminate x 4

>Lands
Blood Crypt x 1
Bloodstained Mire x 4
Island x 4
Mountain x 3
Polluted Delta x 4
Steam Vents x 1
Swamp x 2
Watery Grave x 2

>Sorceries
Ancestral Visions x 2
Damnation x 2
Detonate x 2
Molten Rain x 4
Rain of Tears x 4
Rift Bolt x 3
Stone Rain x 4

>Creatures
Platinum Angel x 1
Every time I kill a creature, counter a spell or destroy a land, I make sure to say "no fun allowed :^)"

Thoughts? Rate?
Should I build this and rock up to a FNM with it?

kys

What happens if they just counter/fizzle everything and pop you for 2-4 each round, while you're also slowly killing yourself with your mana base.

So this is the power of Grixis Burn.

The same thing that happens to every other deck in the format if they magically happen to have a castable counter every single turn, while still being able to pump out a few creatures.

You lose.

Honestly the best thing about this deck is when your against a T1 Thoughtseize or Inquisition.
They always spend at least a full minute deciding what to discard.

>post on the board for my LGS for things I want to trade for
>people reply
>I message them with everything I own worth over $5 that's used in Modern
>"eh, I dunno. [Insert card here] is something I'm only thinking of trading"

THEN DON'T REPLY, YOU FUCK

Why would someone NOT trade a card they aren't using in any deck for literally anything that they could use?

Kekeroni. You'd probably get rekt by even bogles slow aggro.

Bruh. Where are your dank dwellers?

Roiling terrain seems like it could be neat as a 1 or 2-of for the extra burn. I don't know that platinum angel is the best thing to play here although I get the idea. Just me spitballing but what if you made room for the madcap/emperion combo?

>that image
blue /white is only boring from the outsiders perspective, having 3 oblivion rings in my opening hand and i know its going to be a fun game

I get rekt by every deck, but it's always a sloooooow loss
Didn't even think of them. Might add them as a 2-of?
Not fussed about burning the enemy, but I might mainboard the madcap/emperion combo, never even thought of it.

What kind of deck would Palpatine have?

RGU Dynavolt Tower

>What kind of deck would Palpatine have?

DSJ
Vader would play Jund
Yoda would Junk
Obi-wan is Soul Sisters
Luke is Tron
Han is Naya burn
Leia is twin

Luke is Grixis delver

>Luke is Grixis delver

But user, have you not watched Star Wars? Luke wins.

>tfw waifu robots never

This picture triggers my 'tism

If feelsguy is supposed to be committing double suicide out of sadness, how is his right hand on the left side of his body?

Just played against a WG hatebears deck who thought it was okay to only run 9 lands.

I destroyed them all, then he conceded.

Obviously noodle arms, pic related.

Had Palp sleeves, can confirm he plays mono-red burn

Lightning coming out his fingertips. ZAP MOTHAFUCKA

Select and Custody are actually really good, they just need a home. Some meme decks with Howling Mine would love the tempo that Custody gives.
There's been a lot of gems lately in terms of pushed, non-typical effects. Overwhelming Denial is a strictlybetter, Kari Zevs is an Act of Treason with upside, Wrangle is a 2cmc variant (I want to see this vs Death's Shadow, you either clear a Goyf and make a huge swing or kill a Shadow)
Invasive Surgery/Whispers of Emrakul/Ishkanah have potential, every planeswalker has been a decent powerlevel, and I think if it gets memed hard enough something like Lord Gonti is powerful enough to see play.

UNLIMITED POWERRRRRR

nofunallowedanon here
Just won a game beating down with my plat angel.
Deck viability confirmed

who hurt you user?

XD (You)

my dad
:/

Why are you playing rift bolt?

Because it does 3 damage and thus kills 70% of creatures played in modern.

Honestly, 99% of the time, it's just used late game for 3 mana to wreck whatever one or two mana cost creature they can come up with.

Get occasional salt from 'meta plebs' for using that, as well as fiery impulse.

Thought about some man lands?

When I was first building the deck, yeah.
Don't really offer much advantage. The deck doesn't really need creatures, desu famalam.

There's also Send to Sleep

>having fun @ LGS
>some new people around
>they ask for trades
>binders appear on tables
>one guy points at my fetches
>in return point at a card I like
>"... no, sorry, that isn't for trade"
>okidokey.jpeg
>point at another one
>"... nah, that one either"
>rest of his stuff sucks
>tell him that i'm sorry
>-he- gets upset -i- wasted his time
>pic related

>another day at the LGS
>younger teenage guys around
>they want to trade
>exchange binders
>they point at my Standard shit
>perfect as it's junk to me
>i pick out a few 2/3 dollar rares
>nice stuff for Commander
>teenagers whip out their phones
>look up every price on every card
>start to haggle over every goddamn penny
>pic related

>tfw someone actually knows how to use a phone for trading and keeps a running tally of everything on both sides of the trade

It makes exchanging large amounts of low value cards so much more pleasant.
But pennypinchers can piss off regardless

You have piqued my curiosity, user. What's your technique? I'm always down for bettering my autism.

I just don't trade with any real frequency anymore. I got rid of anything under $20, which leaves me with nothing more than a deckbox of stuff to trade.

It's not worth your time sitting there and haggling with these fucking people. When all you have is good shit they can only offer good shit; they can't fuck around when your stack is nothing but $20+ dollar bills.

People haven't asked me to trade in months. They know they can't offer shit and it doesn't waste my time or their time. Fucking sharks stay away too because it's very obvious I know how to value my shit.

It's actually nothing special, unfortunately. There was some double calculator app I saw used a few years ago that could keep two separate tallies on the same screen, but now everyone just using MTG familiar or some other app.

The worst people are the ones who want to trade for a staple and whip out a pile of like 30 $2 rares then get pissed off when you tell them no.

I'm not a fucking NPC in an MMO, you can't just offload your trash to me and trade up for my good shit. The fuck am I supposed to do with twenty copies of Rishkar's Expertise?

Oh darn, you got my hopes up.

They're just shit people. These people will gladly trade you a dozen pieces of shit for your good thing. But hilariously enough, they never will accept a dozen pieces of your shit for their good thing.

One time I agreed to a trade with a person online. Then when we met to do the trade at FNM he said the price of his cards went up and he wanted more of my stuff. I told him politely to go fuck himself. He retracted his request for more value and I still said no.

The people who make trades online are just the most useless pieces of shit on the planet. Not just in Magic. You say you're looking for something and some dipshit posts saying they wish they had it but they traded it away a week ago. How the fuck does that help me? Am I supposed to feel bad I didn't put out the ask earlier?

The worst people are the people who say they don't have it but they say they can get it. They go through the effort to try and get the card for you to play the middleman and earn some value in the meanwhile instead of telling you who the fuck actually has the card.

Just don't trade anymore. It does nothing but make you hate everyone a bit more.

What the hell happened to the price of Soul Sisters? I checked it out awhile ago when I was looking at building some cheap loaner decks and it was only around $130. I looked it up again just now and the deck is $300+.

a bunch of shitty memelords bought the cards so shittier ones can bitch on Veeky Forums about being cheap

trading is awful. i keep an empty trade binder in my bag to annoy tradefags. sometimes i use basic lands to spell out F U C K Y O U in the pages

XXX X0X XXX X0X X0X XXX X0X
XX0 X0X X00 X00 0X0 X0X X0X
X00 XXX XXX X0X 0X0 XXX XXX

for maximum autism

build green stompy bro its good enough for a cheap loaner

Oh yeah definitely, it's what I eventually did end up building. It's a very solid deck for what it is. I loan it out to a kid at my LGS most FNM's and he always does decently with it.

Palpatine plays Jeskai Nahiri. Lightning Bolts and Emrakul = Death Star.

Have some spoilers, modern general.

And the other one.

>exert

WHAT IS EXERT

Cycling lands when
ASTRAL SLIDE WHEN

The fuck does Exert mean?

I'm guessing it's 'put a -1/-1 counter on this creature to activate this effect.'

Nah, that'd be too powerful. You'd pay 5 to get a 3/3 haste flier that also hit a non-dragon for 4. I'd guess it's more likely to be something simpler like 'pay this card's mana cost.' It makes it unable to be exploited immediately without a ton of mana and makes it repeatable more easily.

>cycling deck

feelsgoodman.jpg

Every time I see spoilers packed in with the promos I feel like Wizards just shits the bed another time. They can't even get their fucking printers to make sure the wrong shit gets packaged right. It tells you that it's very likely that they don't even test the final product themselves to see if there's anything wrong with it. It's probably fully printed and ready to ship by the time the people in the office get it.

And before someone says it, no, they do not spoil this shit on purpose. It's fucking unprofessional and no manager worth their salt would allow pretend leaks to be policy - because then who knows what the fuck gets out without your authorization.