/edh/ Commander General

MVP Draft Chaff edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Previous Thread
>Thread question
How often do you put draft chaff into decks? What chaff has made it into your "competitive" builds?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/26-03-17-PAA-deck-paste/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/touch-of-a-lethifold/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-03-17-faeries/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kami-kami/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/meren-of-clan-nel-toth-suggestions-wanted/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for INTELLIGENT commanders

Picture related

>casualfags complaining because they get stomped bay combo when they make a deck based around durdling with tokens or shitty rg werewolves that cannot interact with the stack
>casual is playing whatever you want
>waaaahhh why are you playing that is unfair!!!
/thread in a nutshell

calm down

This is the future of magic.

Edric :)

Bad deckbuilders hide behind the "casual format"-thing. Casual means to them "commons that I got for free from others who finished drafting are good enough".
At least you can make a good deck for cheap if it has decent synergy, but people who cannot into synergy and deckbuilding are ruining the meta. Shame that someone takes them seriously.

Nothing wrong with budget if you want to limit yourself or cannot afford, but trying to drag everyone into draft chaff and badstuff meta should be punishable by forcing a non smoothed wooden buttplug in the mangina and left there until it rots.

Meet his hipster brother!

So I'm building a Faerie/Shapeshifter deck. Think general spooky-ness, trickery, fairytales and so on.

Right now I'm about five cards over where I need to be.

Any recommendations? Commander is pic related.

tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/26-03-17-PAA-deck-paste/

>1BR
>not 4U

You literally had one job.

Play better cards. No Sol Ring is bad, Familiar's Ruse over Counterspell is bad, Glimnerdust Nap isn't even tribal, Shimmer Myr has 6 other artifacts, none of which benefit from flash, half your creatures are unplayable. I understand there decks, but you don't have to play legit trash cards to keep theme

>Familiar's Ruse over Counterspell is bad
Not necessarily. The rest you say is true but if you want to abuse etb (see: Spellstutter Sprite) the rider could be a very legit upside.

anyone else have a competitive metagame?

had to build edric because of my friends and now all i have is this Edric deck that just pubstomps the shit out of casuals when I play with random people at the shop

I don't know how to feel anymore

>Sol Ring
Isn't that banned?

>Familiar's Ruse
See:
>Glimnerdust Nap
Yeah, I'll remove it.

>Shimmer Myr
Same with this.

Thanks for the input, but I don't understand how half of my creatures are unplayable.

>Sol Ring

In real commander it's totally legal. And there's a reason WotC puts one in EVERY Commander Precon.

Post'em!

Also, any CC on my life drain n'gain with a touch of enchantress?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/touch-of-a-lethifold/

Gotchu covered

Sol ring is banned in French, not in EDH. Both have entirely different banlists

>tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/26-03-17-PAA-deck-paste/

OK, here are some real comments.

>Save your deck
Seriously, there's no reason not to and it lets you look at analytics

>Mana Base
The basic "Industry Standard" you should start with, adding or subtracting as needed from testing, is 35 land and 10 nonland mana-producers. Most of your nonlands should be cmc 0-2 artifacts, with some 3's. More costly mana rocks count as half a rock.

For a blue-black deck, try Sol Ring, Dimir Signet, Fellwar Stone, Coldsteel Heart, Sky Diamond, Charcoal Diamond, Talisman of Dominance, and three of [Mind Stone, Thought Vessel, Darksteel Ingot, Worn Powerstone, Commander's Sphere, Dimir Keyrune, Dimir Cluestone, Thran Dynamo/Hedron Archive, Magnifying Glass... there are a lot of options for those last few slots] You can have a better manabase with some expensive options like Crypt but that kind of backbone will be a decent place to work out from that won't break the bank.

>Have a Point
Even in casual EDH, just sort of puttering forward is not a recipe for success. Your commander is Oona, so maybe you want to mill? If you combo up infinite mana she'll oust your foes in one hit, and doesn't even need to be anything but summoning sick to do it. Or perhaps you like the tokens aspect. Faeries are good at getting a board presence (even if a fairly meaningless one) while disrupting the board of others, so you could build a Stax deck, or at least a control deck with some Stax elements. Consider cards like Smokestack, Contamination, Tangle Wire, and even Descent Into Madness and what they do with other cards like Oona and Bitterblossom. Since Counterspelling, like spot removal, won't carry the day to lock folks out in multiplayer, you need a more generalized strategy if you want to control.

>Staples to consider
Look into Demonic Tutor. Its price is high, but it's one of black's best pieces. In Blue, really consider Cyclonic Rift.

>Playing French

>Torpor Orb somehow makes Eldrazi work with Yeva

Every time I think the "Veeky Forums is bad at MTG" memes are overdone, someone sinks to new lows.

I didn't imply that I play it. It's a barely living joke of a format, but that's not to say that regular EDH is any better really. At least there's less entitled faggots and hipsters playing EDH.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll definitely implement some Stax elements into my deck, especially since I can get so many tokens easily.

Should I just try and take out my removal like Doom Blade, Go for the throat, etc.?

I know the mana base is underdeveloped, it's just something that I didn't finish since there's basically a "universal package" of it. I should've mentioned it in the original post.

And yeah, the wincons are a bunch of buffed, unblockable faeries from Oona, with some backups in form of Midnight Banshee, Wrexial, and Attrition, in case I can't buff them.

I am 100% certain that vast majority of Veeky Forums is either dyslexic or illiterate and they dictate their posts by their tard wranglers.

OK, here's attempt #2:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-03-17-faeries/

I removed some cards that weren't that impactful, added smokestack, and fleshed out the manabase. It's also 100 cards now!

Oh hey, its that creature whose abilities I never get to use because no one lets it survive a round. Love this guy, great removal bait.

fixed

Hello new Commander ;)

How bad is this? Lab Maniac seems useless

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kami-kami/

Dream Tides was the best I could find to stop creature-based hatebears, and I feel like I'm missing one stax effect, like Rising Waters, since I don't have Back to Basics.

Im trying to revamp a deck I messed around with a long time ago. I am very slow at building decks and still not that great, so help is wanted.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/meren-of-clan-nel-toth-suggestions-wanted/

>mono blue stax

Absolutely horrible, user. Kill yourself.

needs Upheaval, Standstill and possibly Opposition + something to shit useless creature tokens such as Nuisance Engine

Also I apologize for that horrible formatting in the description, I just cleaned it up a bit and added a description.

Some things to add. This is based off the sorta-competitive Meren I made a while ago.

>Dictate of Erebos
>Gravepact
>Living Death
>Green Sun's Zenith
>Black Sun's Zenith
>Life's Finale
>Fleshbag Marauder
>Merciless Executioner
>Entomb
>Smothering Abomination

And if you wanna have fun, some dope ass bombs are things like Doomgape, Myr Battlesphere, and It That Betrays.

All great suggestions, thank you!

>Upheaval
B&

prepare your anus.

No Damia with Primal Surge you win if Primal Surge goes off just make sure you have
>Akroma's Memorial

Can Sidar still give himself evasion if I have something with Exalted and he attacks alone, as long as I order things correctly?

Its funny that what seems as your typical ordinary common card can be pure gold in EDH.

not enough people abuse commons in edh

No, Sidar's ability is static, not triggered. It'll stop working the moment any creature you're attacking with gets greater than 2 power.

I see. So much for that plan.

>bay combo

Are you from Maryland?

Lol how is that a uncommon ?

I sincerely hope this general auto-sages to the bottom and just dies and nobody ever makes an EDH general again. This amount of autism, trolling, and feint-superiority are not just annoying, but clinically dangerous. You people need help. You people truly and genuinely have a problem, on an interpersonal and social level you are all broken.

This

Please stop trolling with Flametongue Kavu

no

Only four of your decks don't play green or blue, play more interesting decks

Here we go again, lotsa decks.

PROGENITUS you lose

>put these two in my deck
>win every game

no wonder standard is like it is

OK guys, how do I win with this fuck? I'm stuck theorycrafting

I know the myriad sword trick to blow up a shitload of permanents, but other than cloning reaper king and trying to mirror gallery it up,

how do I win with him?

I'm thinking about going primarily UG, with a splash of WBR. I want UG for ramp, draw, artifact tutors, and clones. Also maybe a few changelings.

WBR isn't that necessary, is it?

Depends entirely on whether your meta is actually good or not.

Okay anons, so I'm getting the Orzhov pre-con for my birthday and I've no idea what to put into the deck. What's some spicy Daxos tech?

nobody has made that deck work in standard, you should be the first and become Internet famous

It should just be 5 color control with a side of clone tribal, 5 color control is naturally UG heavy for all the green mana fixing and blue being the best color

The other colors are still important though, you get lots of good versatile removal you can run like maelstrom pulse and vindicate and terminate. Also you get all the tutors

If you don't have all the good dual lands and such, you might want to be more artifact based than green based, all the good rainbow mana rocks and even a good number of signers will be helpful

Honestly, I bought the precon on release and built two decks out of it. One was karlov lifegain proques, and the other was daxos "whoops, all enchantments! "

Karlov was explosive and fun, but was risky and ate shit too often.

Daxos is incredibly fun, literally try running ALL enchantments (as few exceptions as you can). I mean make your protection enchantments that give protection from colors, make your removal enchantments. Only run 3 or 4 enchantment creatures, relying on daxos to pump out a consistently huge army.

Some cards of note are flickering ward, spirit loop, true conviction, spiritual asylum, dark tutelage, phyrexian arena, erebos, doomwake giant, glistening oil, and anthem effects. (Run the enchantments that give all your guys vigilance )

You pump out CONSTANT 10/10s for 3 mana and buff them all up.

Fun deck, but take my advice, very underwhelming without being competely devoted to enchantments.

Oh, and when I say "only run 3 or 4 enchantment creatures", I mean,

run only 3 or 4 CREATURES, make sure they are enchantments in addition to their other types. Rely on commander to make the creatures for your deck. This way, you can pump the deck with a FUCKLOAD of non-creature support spells while also being able to consistently pump out a huge army.

WI can never decide what colours to build. Someone tell me a combination and I'll build the first one.

I never participate in these threads, but I'm itching to play, as I haven't in a little while and I just rebuilt all of my decks. My nearest hobby store is nearly an hour away, as are most of my pals, and just playing at my own kitchen table with my husband doesn't always cut the mustard. Please don't judge me too harshly, I'm worthless Vorthos trash these days. (tappedout users/Lord_of_Squirrels/)

I run one of each of the ten "Wedges" - one for each of the Clans of Tarkir, and one for each of the Shards of Alara. I run:
GBW - Abzan - Daghatar the Adamant
RUG - Temur - Yasova Dragonclaw
RWB - Mardu - Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
RWU - Jeskai - Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest
BUG - Sultai - Tasigur, the Golden Fang
RWG - Naya - Mayael the Anima
WUG - Bant - Rafiq of the Many
WUB - Esper - Sharuum the Hegemon
BRG - Jund - Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund
UBR - Grixis - Sedris, the Traitor King

It was fun using the Hybrid-cost-activating Legendaries as the Commanders for the Clans. Karrthus is brutal against some of these decks, because I run a lot of Dragons in my Tarkir decks (go figure).

I forgot to answer the thread question!
I use cheap dross all the time, because I like building for flavor as well as mechanics. For example, there is a copy of Kheru Dreadmaw in my Sultai Tasigur deck, and the spooky little cutie has saved my butt a few times.

How about you build a five-colored deck, since you're indecisive? There are lots of great choices for Commanders there, too.

Eh, 5 colour seems like it'd be quite pricey. One day when I have the money I do want to build Sliver Overlord though.

Are there any good 4 colour decks? I was thinking Tana, the Bloodsower and Ravos, Soultender tokens would be pretty cool and the precon seems like it has most of the mana fixing I don't have for 4 colour.

Those aren't bad choices, and everybody starts somewhere. My husband's first Commander deck was a modified theme deck, and it was mean. Does your group allow Nephilim as four-colored Commanders? They're fun to play with.

As for five-colored being expensive, I don't think Scion of the Ur-Dragon would be hard to build on the cheap. He doesn't even need that many Dragons to be decent, and there are a few strategies you can work around him (like reanimator and other graveyard-matters strategies, for example). There are so many affordable "mana rocks" and common multicolored lands that you could also use.

>If you have an It that betrays, and your opponent is enchanted with wheel of sun and moon, will it pull sacrificed creatures from the opponent's library?
No. Objects aren't tracked in hidden zones.

>>Also, if you sacrifice an It that betrays, will it recur itself?
Whenever an __opponent__ sacrifices a nontoken permanent, put that card onto the battlefield under your control.

>>Furthermore, if a card existed that created a replacement effect that would put cards into your hand instead of the graveyard, would an enemy it that betrays be able to take a sacrificed creature that went to your hand?
See above.

>On another note, if you oblivion ring something, then pull it out of exile, and then exile it again, the oblivion ring won't recognize it when it leaves the battlefield right?
That is correct.

>And lastly, is the general rule for cards that don't specify where they "look" when they want to return a card from somewhere to the battlefield after that card left the battlefield, that the effect will search in the first zone it entered, and only there?
I don't know what you're trying to say here. Cards like O-Ring and Obzedat don't really "look" or "search" anywhere, they "track" the applicable objects.
In the case of It That Betrays vs Rest in Peace, ITB still grabs the sacrificed permanents, because it maintains a reference to the objects as they are sent to exile instead of the graveyard.
In the case of It That Betrays vs Relic of Progenitus, sacrificing the Relic in response will fizzle ITB, because ITB's ability holds a reference to the cards in the graveyard, and exiling those cards will make them new objects. In the same way, a Pull From Eternity can fizzle ITB's ability if Rest in Peace is in play.

Anyone have good suggestions for a Rakdos, Lord of Riots EDH deck?

Cycling and bricks.

>-1/-1 counters
>in 2017 standard

Is there any other dual commander format?

>cycling is back
Oh no

>cycling
>and triggers on cycling
Oh yes.

Aldo good in Animar

wtf is exert?

It isn't even a keyword otherwise they would have explained within brackets, new base mechanic?

Probably 'put a -1/-1 on it'

They don't always explain mechanics, especially if the card has a lot of other text,is a rare or not a lot of space like the game day promos.

Pic related.

I guess either exile a card from your hand or from the top of your library?

Thanks a lot! I didn't expect another reply.

But I have another question then. As far as I understand, objects are considered "new" objects when they change zones. What's the reason that cards like it that betrays can track a zone change, but only once(from battlefield to graveyard, exile, command zone).

It's a rare and a promo, they don't put reminder text on those, especially when there's a lot of text

This is most likely, or it could finally be the keyword for doesn't untap.

>exert Glorybringer

I'm guessing it either keeps the creature from dealing combat damage, or you repay its mana cost

Okay I'm fucking buying a mikaeus asap.

I think it might be putting a -1/-1 counter on it, -1/-1 matters might be a theme of the set

It could reasonably be any of those. I don't think it's the one where it doesn't deal combat damage, because to me it's not a good keyword for that effect.

Double tap baby, turn it 180 degrees so it needs two untap steps.

>But I have another question then. As far as I understand, objects are considered "new" objects when they change zones. What's the reason that cards like it that betrays can track a zone change, but only once(from battlefield to graveyard, exile, command zone).
I'm not entirely sure on what all the relevant rules are, but I'll make an attempt. 400.7, 400.7d and 603.6 seem to be the rules of note. It basically reads that "objects changing zones become new objects", "some abilities can find objects when they change zones" and "upon resolution, zone-change trigger events look for the object in the zone that it moved to", but feel free to read them if you'd like.

Basically, ITB's ability explicitly has a "hook" that allows it to track the object as it changes zone. In some way it reads "track each object your opponent sacrifices, and when that happens, return that object upon resolution". It doesn't matter if replacement effects would exile the card, put it onto the battlefield, turn it green and then exile it again, because the replacement effects are all modifying the sacrifice itself. It's still the same event, so ITB's ability is still "hooked" to the object. However, if an effect then moves the object after the initial zone change, the rules don't give it permission to track it, and ITB's ability now points to something that doesn't exist.

Random notes:
A creature with Undying doesn't return with RiP in play, because the creature never hits the graveyard in the first place, so the event never triggers. Hitting the graveyard is an outcome of sacrificing something, not a requisite, which is why ITB is different.
Oblivion Ring won't return a Commander that is sent to the command zone, because the effect explicitly looks for a card in exile. (607.2a) Banishing Light, however, will.

Anyone feel free to tell me if I got anything wrong. I'm not actually a judge, just an autist.

too many people itt confusing exert with overexert desu

>Double tap baby
>tfw they release a permanent that makes you exert other cards
>tfw if you exert enough times you get to untap by spinning the card 360°

>I turn 360° and concede.

>cycling is back
Hopefully they give me either a reprint of Astral Slide or a legend that can command a cycling deck

>Astral Slide
>Not Fluctuator

Nah nigga you just don't understand.

Legendary artifact creature - Bike Vehicle
{W/U/G}
Each card in your hand has cycling {2}
Whenever a player cycles a card you may pay {1}. If you do, draw a card and gain 1 life.
Crew 2
5/5

You're an idiot, this is Wizards we're talking about.

Haakon, the Mummy 1BB
Legendary Creature - Zombie Lord
Haste, Menace
Cycling 4
2/2

That would make a good cycling commander.

give me one good reason not to run this blue fuck in oloro

>cycling on a legendary creature

Yeah but if you have the Demon out you can use Command Beacon to bring Haakon2 to your hand and pay four mana to cycle him and trigger the Demon!