WIP- WORK IN PROGRESS GENERAL

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

Work In Progress - painting, converting, and sculpting.

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
[YouTube] Build A Light Box On The Cheap, Take Gorgeous Photos! (embed)

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
[YouTube] Wet Palette: What Is It? Make Your Own (embed)

>How to Moldlines
[YouTube] Removing mold lines from models (embed)

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
[YouTube] How to Magnetize a Tyranid Carnifex (embed)
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg (embed)

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>I am the hammer! I am the point of His spear! I am the mail about His fist! I am the bane of His foes!
[YouTube] The Lord Inquisitor - "Grey Knights" Teaser [UHD] (embed)

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44
youtube.com/watch?v=YlWq6WXIv7M
youtube.com/watch?v=hmqfC_qsVtQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What does tg think of my yellow?

I usually dont hand paint light colors

The one on the right not left

Right is better, but the highlights are too gross.

I like yellows that use s yellow orange as base. Flat yellow never looks good to me imo

>why do i always fuck up

Perhaps because you're posting the OP from your phone instead of a computer? Here are the video links:

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

WIP of my stonehorn, calling the horns done for now although I was toying with glossing them.

Going to shoot for raw pink skin around the eyes.

What do you guys think?

1/2

Looks pretty solid but you need to soften up those pure white highlights a bit.

Nice and smooth, although I think the white edges are a bit stark.

Remove the mold lines on the left one.

that ice looks fucking radical, user. no joke, this is fuckin beautiful already.you should gloss em tho
i think the skin around the eyes ought to match the lighter skin on the legs

2/2

Skin needs some touching up but is mostly finished as well.

Going to out some flock and snow on the base, anything else I should add to it?

I think the lamp is making them brighter than they are

Here is another photo

>stonehorn
>horns are made of ice
What did you mean by this?

Joking aside I totally agree with this poster.

Thanks user! The Ice is actually super simple and easy to do!

I toyed with making the eye skin the same color but I'm not sure if it would Contrast enough, I might give it a run though :)

Is this silver just boltgun, black wash, mithril highlight? Because im trying that and mine is very light still. I want the darker,grungier silver

if i had to guess they put down

black
leadbelcher
and highlighted with rufang steel

the technique they used to shade it though is why yours will not look the same, its complex and very time consuming.

If you also used the pinkish skin tone somewhere else (perhaps on the tail and/or where the hooves meet the feet?) it would help to tie it in.

Try a darker base metal? I've had decent results with Reaper's 'Shadowed Steel.' Also, multiple layers of wash.

Tore off the old plasma pistol arm and used a different pose, and greenstuffed some gear-toothy bullshit on the legs. Should I add some rivets or studs to them?

I hear ya it would have no other tie ins with the rest of the model except maybe the ogors skin. But I have decided how healthy I want him to look yet.

Would you add anything to the base besides snow and flocking (already planned for those)

that is the crustiest looking thumb i've ever seen, user.

Sat here waiting for wash to dry so I can start doing the bone on this guys legs.
I both simultaneously love and hate working on big models like this guy, they're fun to work on but they do take absolutely forever.

That's gorgeous user. And I feel you on the big models - I have a Nagash I picked up for cheap just sitting around, taunting me.

stunning work, user! i've been following this bad boy since you first started posting him, really loving all the progress you've made
you inspire me, user.

any tips on freehanding really tiny stuff? pic kinda-sorta-not-really related

>pt2

what tiny stuff are you talking about?

user you are right about the light, but the right one is better

like insignias on pauldrons and the like. the example here is the red insignia on the base in the first photo.

are you trying to freehand designs?

it looks ok. but id rather have a flat color base. but you hit it as far as free hand.

Long time since posting. Some progress has been made, although lighting conditions have deteriorated.

1/2

2/2

i love what you are doing, smooth out the thigh and neck

Yeah, trying to sculpt muscular contour is tough on such a small scale, and it keeps coming out rough for me. I'll probably just cheat and see what other cavalry minis do to resolve it.

water I know smooths it out, just be gentle with it. paint will probably fix those crimes as well

I've got liquid greenstuff as well, which seems to be an okay gap-filler before paint. Not sure how it performs over flat surfaces, though I've heard it can add a texture which I'm not a huge fan of since I want those areas smooth.

i haven't used liquid green stuff to long. but it could work. i would just use very little. ive made models where ive used too much and it looked horrendous

>any tips on freehanding really tiny stuff?

I would recommend Sakura Micron pens.

ya I hardly painted the left one, was looking for critiques on the right

the right looks spot on mate, are you going for display or tabletop quality? cause if display maybe go more saturated yellow if you are doing imperial fists

What this guy said. You could to it for like, the kneecaps or something. Otherwise, another good one would be to have the pinker tone of the eye area be centralized while drading outwards to the blue to give that tonal shift.

Goddamnit I'm trying to save money but Kingdom Death put up new, sexy minis on the store so now I need to decide which 2 to get.

they are actually for blood angels assault marines

>Hows my sandwich?
>Does it need mayo?
>Should I cut off the crusts?
>Took out the tomato and put cucumber instead
>Tried to put the crusts back on idk
>What do you guys think?
>bump

user, it looks great but for fucks sake just hurry up.

4him

this

you are over thinking it, and if you do, which you are, everyone else will think it looks fine but you will always be bothered by it.

Watcha listenin while painting? Nier Automata ost is comfy when you separate all battle tracks.

Matrix/10

>Nier Automata ost
this is literally what i imagive my marines listening to when they fight chaos.

youtube.com/watch?v=YlWq6WXIv7M

youtube.com/watch?v=hmqfC_qsVtQ

>
Do you freehand all the little DA details?

>>Does it need mayo?

Yes

>>Should I cut off the crusts?

If it's not toasted

>>Took out the tomato and put cucumber instead

Tomato with or without cucumbers = okay
Cucumbers without tomatoes = what the fuck are you doing nigger are you trying to make cucumber sandwiches like some kind of limey bastard

>>Tried to put the crusts back on idk

Ok I lol'd

CRISP
R
I
S
P

Painting is great... but moldlines aren't user.

Asked in 40kg figured someone with some experience in dreadknight conversions might post here. I came across the new custodes contemptor dread and was wondering if anyone knew how tall is was. Was thinking about using it as a dreadknight stand in if the dimensions are similar. Cant stand the dk and im a bit worried about making a pile of greenstuff and plastic goop trying to fix it.

Little thing I did to help me sculpt muscular contours was I picked up a muscle anatomy book and sculpted my model from his muscular structure up to the skin. Dunno if it'll come of use to you later on going forward with your sculptures, but my autistic ass found it useful to do so. Ended up with a realistic muscular structure and a better understanding of posture.

I might suggest cutting away enough of the legs to try your hand at making mini muscular structures.

What paints did forgeworld use for their shiny reds on their thousand sons? I've been using a copper and gold enamel spray to give a lustrous gold sheen before several light coats of tamiya clear red sprayed over, and the shine is coming through, but NOTHING as deep as forgeworld's. Did they use some high gloss enamel candy red or something?

How should I go about sealing these models so the metallic armor stays lustrous and shiny, but doesn't make the whole model look like it was dunked in slime?

Tamiya Clear Red on top of Leadbelcher.

Really its on a silver? I thought that gets too close to the word bearer's darker red instead of the thousand sons candy red.

Will post progress pictures this next weekend while I'm home to work. My tartare terminators and contemptor are paintable, I'm waiting of the rest of the forgeworld upgrades for the rest of my legion. Stay tuned.

Why is there such a large overlap between neckbeards and heavy metal?

Same reason bike thieves listen to gangsta rap.

But I listen to gangsta rap and I don't steal bikes.

>If it's not toasted

My god, what new rules of sandwich etiquette am I being inflicted with now? Is it okay to leave the crusts on the non-toasted sandwich if I'm at a non Subway-sanctioned eatery?

>Subway

Fucking disgusting. Where do you live, user? I'll point you to ten better chains.

Maybe not right now, but you will. Soon. I mean, goddamn, you are basically invisible at night!

I'm porcelain white.

Sure you are.

I-I'm Irish-American, a-user.

>Why is there such a large overlap between chickens and eggs?

Yeah yeah, we've heard that before. Go sit in a corner with the Argentinians and Mexicans.

Insignia looks great

Oh man that model is all kinds of sex.
I need that in my life.

Well that depends, what shape was the loaf and what type of wheat was it? Also, how many slices of bread does the sandwich contain? You must understand this is a very delicate process, Anonymous.

You keep doing the clear red until it turns candy color. Like 4 layers.

>are you trying to make cucumber sandwiches like some kind of limey bastard
COME AT ME YANK.

I'm sorry Nigel, would a bread sandwich be more to your liking?

I...oh, right, this is a general work-in-progress thread, not 40k specific. I can't make a 'warmahordes get out' joke at this point in the mixed metaphor.

Because metal thematically evokes those kinds of genres of war, fantasy, mysticism, the occult... Shit, just look at any of Dio's or Dream Evil's music videos.

You know that several of the OG GW crew were in fairly big metal and rock bands, right?

How do you handle multiple sides of a miniature when painting NMM?
>use primer that dries with slight shine
>place under light source too see where the light reflects
>take picture as reference for consistency
Now when I need to do the back what do I do? If my first reference photo was taken from the front straight on should I take it from the back straight on? Like just do the opposite? Am I being retarded here?

Bread and butter would be a nice tea time snack, yes.

So TG, many, many years ago when I was a boy my friends and I all used to sit in our school classroom looking at old copies of white dwarf. We where mesmerised, it just looked so cool and wonderfully painted.

After begging our parents to buy Warhammer we then proceeded to completely fuck up any attempt at painting them with a mixture of impatience and youthful incompetence.

We played together until we left for senior school at 13 and all got sent to different boarding schools, but we remained in touch and remain close close friends to this day. As we got older Warhammer and gaming seemed uncool. There were girls and listening to music and other shit, and so our collections sat gathering dust in the back of a cupboard at our parents home.

Many years later, we all slowly started playing 40k again, or rather I did and some mates joined me who had never quite let the flame die. An old friend gave me a heavy toolbox filled with old metal imperial guard (and other things).

His paint jobs were legendary for being terrible (even at 11) - Pic related is how they start out.

1 commissar Yarrick.
2 commissar Yarrick.
HUH?!?

It's all metal so you can just take the bases off and dunk them in acetone to strip paint and start them up again.

You could probably use the IG models for an inquisitor and retinue for little games of Kill Team which is a simple low point skirmish game.

The apothecary and librarian are still decent models. Rebase them on the new 32 mm bases.

Well, at least that Librarian is easy to salvage.

Are you me? Just reconnected with my best friend from when I was 12-15.

15 years later, we're painting 40k again.
Heres one of my early examples.

Is there a way to save minis when they are like this?

Apologies for the massive file size, anyhoo after soaking this pile of stuff in dettol for a month. 11 year olds really have no idea how to thin their paints! The following wonders have been found.

x18 steel legionaires (one not in pic)
x13 Original Cadians, these guys are so old that Tau were just a myth, Custodians wore no shirts and there was such a thing as a squa....

Some of the Last chancres
Some of Gaunts ghosts

So, after many many years of inactive service they will all be returning with a nice new paint job in service to the emperor! The world may have changed for these guardsmen, but they are ready to stick a lead boot up the arse of the first Xeno they see.

Yeah, stripping them, by bathing them in simple green/detol.

But, i'm not going to bother as the models are so old and low quality compared to modern models.

Also, at 30, I have a job now.

>Yeah, stripping them, by bathing them in simple green/detol.

won't work when the paint is that thick
you can get some off but the detail is lost forever

the only way guys like that are "saved" is burning them and ending their misery

You do know its reccomended -nay, encouraged- to have a life beyond work, right?

Yeah user, dettol (for bongs) or Simple green (for Yanks) should sort you out, soak for a weak and then scrub with a toothbrush. Wear crap clothes and rubber gloves, the stuff stinks and is not good for the skin. Metal models are easier to strip than plastic.

Here is a closeup of the ghosts, some are a bit damaged, but I think that was inevitable really, others a missing or else in another toolbox (my friend has assured me there is another one filled with Lizardmen and they probs ended up in there.

> Ibram Gaunt has been fighting so long now he hurts. There are so few of them now, where was the home they were promised?

You can be my wingman anytime.

you can get off most if not all off. You just need patience. I've let several bathe for days, then brush them, then bathe for few more days, repeat. But the effort isn't worth it.

You misunderstand me, I mean I have a job now so I can actually afford to buy new plastic men, instead of spending all my time trying to salvage the old shitty monopose models.

I would quit my job and paint little dudes all day in a heartbeat if I didn't need the $.

Oh, I see. I am a poorfag and in my 3rd world country 40K is hard to come by so I salvage what I can. My friends gave me lots of warp horrors like that one from when they were kids. I will try to strip the paint to see the extent of the damages.

Mate i'm approaching 30 and also have a career, you can have a job and still do other things you like.

Here is the steel legion.

> The 35th Have lost track of time, they were told Orks weren't that bad anymore. They are confused, they certainly were pretty scary at Hades Hive. Another regiment said 'Tau' are worse. The 35th think they can't be that bad, after all they don't eat people... right?

Sorry for not being clear, please see

Sorry user, I misunderstood you but there is a charm to the old metals that the plastics just don't have. I mean just look at this dude from Necromunda, with his stupid gun, stick and little round glasses. He's great and is being use to represent one of the players in the DH game I run.

Finished a Stealthsuit and drone to see how I'll paint the rest of their kind. Darkened the emerald green ever so slightly for the stealthsuits so it's more subtle and the highlights more pronounced.

Next is a Pathfinder, because I want to test out if I should give them a camo pattern. They are forward scouts so I want to give slight variations of the scheme to each different "role" in the army. Thought of doing them like the FWs but with dark brown streaks across the armour, like Woodland face/camo. Just afraid they might look too dirty or would stick out more/be too distant in aesthetic when viewed as an army.

Thoughts, advice?

Sweet, have a closeup of the old Cadians. Fatty in the lineup remembers when Eldar had Lasguns and the guard had jet bikes.

>one lonely Van Saar

For what purpose?

Oh, see the second row with the cloaks? Yeah they're worthless, don't worry I'll pay postage to get rid of them for you...

Nice, would crusade against/10

Anywhere and anytime, Gue'la. Thanks!

lol let me just get a parcel... nah. They are nice though, I do wonder where the other ones are, I suspect they will show up in time.

Very silly question. Should I thin Vallejo Air paints when using an airbrush?

I fear my airbrush has problem functionning properly because it's a cheap one, and not because of the paints.