MTG Amonkhet Spoilers

Didn't see a spoiler thread, so I'm gonna make one.
Ignoring the common limited fodder, we got some information on some of the new mechanics. Also, cycling is returning.

Glroybringer
3RR
Flying, haste

You may exert Glorybringer as it attacks. When you do, it deals 4 damage to target non-Dragon creature an opponent controls.
What does Exert do? Does it let you Frost Lynx your own creature? Is it making your creatue smaller?

Embalm reads like this. If a creature with embalm is in the graveyard, you may activate its embalm ability. Create a token that's a copy of that creature. The token for Trueheart.

Article says that exert does indeed frost lynx ur own creature in exchange for a triggered ability.
Granted just like other cannot untapped effects you can go around this like new Gideon +2, or just give it vigilance since all it says is doesn't untap, but that doesn't matter if you don't tap urself down to attack in the first place

As for the cycling demon, my fucking dick. Pic related.

No but seriously if Wizards reveals a land with cycle, shit will go down hard in Modern. Loam will spike so hard you don't even know.

You mean a good land? There's already lands with cycle.

>-1/-1 counters are back
Dick status: MUH

There isn't a single Modern legal land with cycling.

But none of them are modern legal

Keen Sense also gets a reprint of sorts. Card art is kinda lame, though.
>inb4 WE

ahh

>play flip Lili EDH
>focus on madness and discard
>reanimation sweet spots are CMC3 and 5 for her -x
>this nukes the board and is CMC5
>mfw

I love the art. I want to see what the foil looks like on her eyes.

Keen Sense is on any damage, not just combat. And thank all fucking Christ that Sixth Sense is only combat, because Walking Ballista WOULD have required a banning.

That's a super fucking shitty transcription. Note that it exiles the card from the graveyard and can only be activated at sorcery speed.

I did it off the top of my head. It got the point across well enough I think.

Easily see this being in atraxa decks in edh. Activate once, proliferate twice, activate for a free spell each turn

The fact that it's sorcery speed kinda kills it. It means you can't pop a blocker whenever

>living end is black
no shit sherlock

>what is Lingering Souls

It doesn't have a normal casting cost, so they had to add that in order to keep tards from getting confused about its color identity, I shit you not

This was back then before color indicators, D:

Get a load of this huge fucking scrub. All Atraxa does is let it happen a turn faster. I'd run it with a UW commander who does something artifact related like Hanna, then run the 4 mana enchantment that can pull all Plains from your library, then run Oracle's Vault and Paradox Engine. Make sure all of your lands are Plains by running fuck tons of fetches then the 3 fetchable duals, and proceed to cast your entire deck.

Well the suspend cost would be a given for it's color identity, buy you mean actual color, in case someone sperged and tried to counter this with something like ceremonious rejection cause autism.

It's already gonna play he'l against Control since you can't 1 for 1 anymore. It being instant speed would be too much.

>If a creature with embalm is in the graveyard, you may activate its embalm ability. Create a token that's a copy of that creature.
This is so fucking contrived

Embalming was not so fucking ubiquitous in Egyptian society. Nor was it particularly unique. They embalmed nobles. So did other cultures. There is literally no reason why it should be so thematically centric to the expansion. This reeks of marketing reminding R&D to "make sure you fill it with keywords people relate to Egyptian culture"

> hell*

Fucking phone. Should have just waited until I got home.

Doesn't get countered by most counter spells. Control decks might need a graveyard hoser to be viable.

thats what standard needs, more free casting!

>I don't understand resonance
Go jerk off on your Kamigawa binder

Well I mean yeah, like you could do that, or you could have fun

This isn't Egypt you fucking nigger. Kaladesh wasn't India, Theros wasn't Greece, and as of last night, your mother isn't an anal virgin.

Thats what they did user. Normies aren't going to know or care about the specifics of embalming, but will see it and go "Oooo Egyptian plane"

If there's no graveyard hate in this set I will probably give up standard til Nicol bolas makes standard great again.

Is this enough to push Living End to tier 1? What else does the deck need that we could potentially see in almondkek?

A modern land

It's pretty ironic that Wizards are leading everyone into making broad generalisations about the plane based on things like that. Cat gods? Mummies? Pyramids? This must be an Egyptian plane because those are the only things in Egypt!

I'm guessing he'll show up in Hour of devastation, and be spoiled as part of Arch Enemy. I'm very confident he'll show up in Amonkhet block.

WotC says they appeal to the lowest common denominator (in terms of lore) at low rarities and the more obscure stuff is largely reserved for higher rarities

They would have to make a 1 drop cycler with 3/4 or better stats that has no repercussions/added benefits when cycled or etb, even if it's draft chaff levels like a 4/5 drop and within Jund colors. A 4/4 carabid that doesn't attack every turn would be nice to see, or even a jungle Weaver variant that can block multiple creatures.

What are you actually complaining about? Of course there's going to be pyramids and mummies and cat gods on the Egypt themed plane. What kind of dumb ass designer wouldn't put them in?

Gatewatch needs to be killed. Like in Bolas fucking kills them, no resurrection, no fakeout, they need to be dead and stay dead. I want a card with an image and flavor of Bolas skullfucking Liliana's decapitated head while eating out Chandra's guts. How many more fucking planeswalker cards do they need?

WIZARDS ARE APPROPRIATING CULTURE FOR THEIR DESIGNS

>turning people into mummies isn't iconic of Egypt

Okay.

I don't think they are going to kill off the gate watch. Maybe they'll kill off a member or something. But they aren't going to be slain to a man any time soon. I know that the MTGgoldfish staff suspect Gideon is going to die in amonkhet block.

Eat yourselves then, I don't give a shit about "cultural appropriation".

and this is bad because

Horay, spoilerseason
[Spoiler] i don't even play the game anymore, but new cards are just fun [/spoiler]

You know, you don't HAVE to play. Or pay attention to the story or any cards you don't want. You're free to leave at any time. Like, right now, for instance. You can go take a walk instead of being so mad over fictional characters you don't like.

Blame the market. Planeswalkers are their single most profitable card type.

His anger is justified and you feeling others shouldnt have opinions is even worse than his unrelenting anger over fictional characters.

planeswalker is a permanent game mechanics and it's here to stay.

i understand if you don't like the gatewatch. their marketing researches tell them everyone loves them, but i only see hate for them. we are sick of it. Amonkhet is the right place to have someone die and shift the focus from planeswalkers to planar heroes like MtG was years ago, at least for a couple of expansions.

well if the card type consist entirely of rare and mythics and they are egineered to be A or at worst B tier rares, what could you even expect?

His anger is not justified. He's choosing to participating in a recreational hobby that he has no control over. That's not to say he doesn't have a right to be angry or have his own opinions, but it's an unhealthy, irrational anger.

You can rant amd race about how much you hate the Gatewatch all you want, it doesn't change the fact that WotC will never listen to you and won't change their story because of you. And being upset over something you can't control is ridiculous.

90% of MTG players don't care enough about the game to go bitch on Veeky Forums or /r/magictcg. Those same 90% of players don't focus enough on the lore or know enough about Magic's history to have a burning hatred for five focus-group friendly human-looking characters being shoved down our throats from 2015 until the apocalypse.

>Amonkhet is the right place to have someone die and shift the focus from planeswalkers to planar heroes like MtG was years ago, at least for a couple of expansions.
Or at least have them lose. They don't need to kill off anyone, just have them not save the day for once. Amonkhet isn't even under siege; the most they're going to do is liberate some populace.
I want to see Nicol start a group of mono colored planeswalkers to take the slots of the gatewatch over the next few sets. Just a group of bastard assholes laying into different planes.

>WotC will never listen to you and won't change their story because of you
They will if enough people share an opinion and wizards listens. Stranger things have happened. Telling people to stop voicing opinions is ridiculous.

>Loam will spike hard

I fucking hope it does since I have like 30 copies

Kalitas can help for the time being. Doesn't SoI have a few "Exile instead" red nukes?

Stupid, sexy zombies.

>they don't need to kill off anyone

Oh boy I can't wait until Jace card number 32 instead of something original in the next set.

>They will if enough people share an opinion and wizards listens. Stranger things have happened

They very well might. In fact, if you want to start a letter campaign, I will be one of the first to follow you and will send a scathing review of how terrible and one- dimensional their characters have become and how poorly they've handled the story since Origins.

I like the art.

CUTE

It's the future we are imposed.

>We learned from our mistakes
>Just like that time we regretted making dredge so we made delve instead

>I get upset when others try to voice their opinion
>Let's not try to implement change in what is seen by a large amount of people who actually read/care about the lore as horrible writing
>It's a minority cause I said so and clearly have several instances of people calling it god tier writing but won't present it cause I'm above that and not cause those instances don't actually exist

>They will if enough people share an opinion and wizards listens
Just read MaRo blog, a lot of people complain about that but his answer is always the same: market research show that the gatewatch is popular so they will continue to shove them down our throath for the foreseeable future.

Kamigawa had great flavor. All those "perplexing" spirits work perfectly with Japan, where Yokai are such a huge part of the culture.

They don't have the stones.
>Gideon
Already killed Elspeth, who was already the a replacement monoW walker.
>Jace
They're not going to kill off their poster boy.
>Lili, Chandra, Nissa
They're not going to kill off another big name female planeswalker

Theros wasn't perfect either. Even MaRo understands a lot of its flaws.

Ajani's the only one, then

Thanks for putting words in my mouth. They taste great.
>I get upset when others try to voice their opinion
I'm not even mad.
>Let's not try to implement change in what is seen by a large amount of people who actually read/care about the lore as horrible writing
>It's a minority cause I said so and clearly have several instances of people calling it god tier writing but won't present it cause I'm above that and not cause those instances don't actually exist

Literally things I didn't say. Also, there's no real proof if of people like the Gatewatch or dont; it's all anecdotal . From my two minutes of Googling it seems to be equal on both sides, and seeing as how WotC hasn't put out any market research or survey numbers, neither of us can confirm or deny any majority one way or the other.

The suspend cost doesn't play a part in its color. If it didn't specify that it's a black spell then cards that counter black spells would be ineffective

That the thing though. Accuracy just doesn't sell packs.

i'm already over amonket.

Anyone curious what Ham & Eggs will be?

It turns out a world where turtlemen who are obsessed with cucumbers eat out kids' assholes doesn't sell packs well. Who knew.

Spirits are fine, but they shouldn't have been THE big theme of the block. Obscure nip folk tales are not what people think of when they think Japan. Trying to tap into weeb culture should have been done a lot smarter. Equal parts Samurai, Ninja, Spirits. Maybe base the story on Oda's campaign since Samurai/Dynasty Warriors games were hyped at the time.

Maybe but he just got oathed up. I would think he'd be involved in at least a year of gatewatch activities before going full Ben Kenobi.
Again, they don't need to kill anyone. If anything that'd only make WotC focus on the others by giving them a reason to fight. A big loss to let them pull themselves together for a couple blocks would be fine.

the demon might make it into living end but its not going to be that useful because it needs to be on the field in order for the effect to work and at that point you already wrathed their board anyways

I think it was less of a flavor problem as it was a mechanics problem. Soulshift, Sweep, flip, and Bushido were all pretty uninteresting and weak.

ETA on return to Tarkir?

It was a mixed bag of problems. An overall weak block (weak cards, weak mechanics) coming off a high power block (mirrodin), set design changing halfway through, combined with bizarre lore that no one really cared about at the time. It was doomed from the start.

4- 5 years.

That'd be hilarious. I don't think Wizards realise that the reason the set sold so well was fetchlands.

>Embalm reads like this. If a creature with embalm is in the graveyard, you may activate its embalm ability. Create a token that's a copy of that creature. The token for Trueheart.
Awesome.

Probably true. Where the hell is Narset though?

I enjoyed the kung fu monks, but I just play casually like a loser. I also enjoyed Kamigawa block with my tribal monk deck.

With that said, I know I'm not their primary audience.

>Samurai, Ninja, Spirits
ALL of which were very present in the block. I was playing back then, more people were complaining about the mechanics and the fact that every deck in standard and extended basically had to run four Jitte. Immediately afterwards it was the insularity that people complained about.

It wasn't until much later when I started browsing Veeky Forums that I saw people complain about the flavor.

Maro claims Kamigawa and Lorwyn are both the most-hated worlds since they started gauging how people liked the worlds. (Which was after Mercadia and Ulgrotha) Personally I see no reason for him to lie.

How do you like Embalm and Exert?

>Embalm is an activated ability you can activate if the creature card with embalm is in your graveyard. Notably you're not casting the card from the graveyard, so things that counter spells won't work against the embalm ability. The original creature spell can be countered, of course, but that just puts the card in the graveyard. I think you see where this is headed. To activate an embalm ability, simply pay the embalm cost and exile the card. You do this any time you could cast a sorcery, meaning during your main phase when nothing else is happening. When the ability resolves, you create a token copy of the card, but as you'd expect, going through the process of mummification causes some changes. It's got that whole undead thing going on, so it's a Zombie in addition to whatever creature types it used to have. You'll find lots of ways to take advantage of its new Zombiehood, I'm sure. And now that it's all service, all the time and doesn't care about whatever it was it cared about while alive, it's white instead of whatever color it used to be. One more minor change is that it doesn't have the mana cost the card has.

>Exert allows creatures to give a little more effort to produce unusually good results. You make the decision whether to exert a creature as you declare it as an attacker. If you choose to have it exert, an ability will trigger and grant you some bonus. As a trade-off, the creature won't untap during your next turn. It's tired. Needs a nap. Attack more later. You don't have to exert the creature as it attacks. If you don't, no ability will trigger, and it will untap normal during your next turn. Note that as you declare attackers is the only time you can have it exert. You can't wait until later in the turn and then exert it. When your next untap step rolls around, if the creature you exerted is untapped, nothing happens and the exertion cost you nothing.

What's your opinion on cycling being back?

>implying how people remember settings isn't tied to how the sets themselves were received
If you thought Kamigawa block was shit, and someone gives you a multiple-choice questionnaire about how you liked Kamigawa, how would you probably respond? And how would your responses likely be interpreted?

I'd probably hate Kaladesh but Wizards haven't told me anything about the place. They're too busy focusing on the zany adventures of the Avengers.

MTG Worldbuilding then:
2 faceless magicians summoning and using the power of creatures and forces of irregular nature phenomenons of strange worlds to destroy each other

MTG "Storyline" now:
Shitty xmen avengers and 90% of creature cards are just some dude with swords also snapcaster mage looks like the generic white guy on every single battlefield and call of duty dvd case cover now for some reason

I thought it was just me; all the worlds feel paper thin.

>They've stated that creatures have grown a bit too strong and gained too much value in comparison to spells
>Print a set with two keywords that can only affect creatures that just further enhance their value

This set better have some amazing hate spells.

because they don't develop them properly. All the card art and flavor text is devoted to the gatewatch and they aren't interesting and make everything they are included in worse. Thankfully they haven't found a way to get them to ruin the actual game yet.

Mirrodin was so broken it caused the greatest drop in Magic sales since Urza block and people absolutely love the setting. Zendikar heralded Cawblade control and people love it. Lorwyn had faeries and 5-color control dominating standard and scored poorly.

You all are deluding yourself if you think the only problem with Kamigawa was the numbers and rules text.

>duelist
>additional creature

I mean, Gideon and Newmrakul are broken and format-warping because Wizards decided story cards HAVE to see standard play, so certain cards get absolutely pushed.

So I'd say they're getting close to ruining the actual game. They haven't quite yet, but current design philosophy is headed in that direction.

>I can't enjoy my fictional, magical story unless it's as realistic as possible!

I used to really like the planeswalkers, but yeah, this Gatewatch stuff where they shove planeswalkers in your face every block and just keep repeating the same five over and over is just annoying.

She duels whole crowds at once.