/ysg/- Yog-Sothothery General

Day 5,690,126 of waiting for the Case Officer's Handbook Edition

This thread is meant to inspire Lovecraftian Veeky Forums (like Delta Green and CoC) and discuss Lovecraft's works for inspiration along with anything else that fits into this genre or takes place in the Yog-Sothothery.
>Previous Thread:
>The Texts of Lore that Men were not meant to know:
eldritchdark.com
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>PDF Archive:

>Call of Cthulhu
mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu

>Atchung! Cthulhu
mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>Pulp Cthulhu
mega.nz/#!L9EFWSIT!o6clZxfdrVSOLkmcQz3wQ2Af9-hKsUxKc7214VynuY4

>What's your favorite Lovecraftian force to go up against as a player? What's force do you like throwing your players against as a GM?

i like "smaller" stories, so cultists, ghouls, deep ones and the like are good. the old ones can still play, but you can still get that good pessimistic hopeless world view going without "the world is ending"-stakes

I love to be put up against unique monsters. I know pretty much everything about the "canon" mythos so seeing something new or a new take on something old always gets me excited.

For my players I enjoy giving them situations with no real sucess options. When players merely need to decide between different dregees of failure thats when I feel good.

I'm big on the Hastur stuff from DG, but I do like OC a lot.

noob here, does /ysg/ not have a PDF Archive?

What do you mean? There's a couple different links in the OP for different games and a link to lovecraft stories.

This is the premier Call of Cthulhu scenario writing guide.
Use it. It makes the games so much more lovecraftian in feel just by structuring it this way.

Nice

I enjoy sending natural/normal creatures or people that, through eldritch corruption, have become distorted, perverse mockeries of their former selves. Some receive fantastical powers, others simply attack because pain drives them to seek death in any way possible.

And done

Nice Delta Green story, thanks user

Thanks for the BPRD dump. Gonna start piking it up after I finish my Hellboy stuff.

Thinking of making my first vanilla CoC game set within the King in Yellow/Carcosa mythos. I just finished reading through "The Repairer of Reputations" and it was fantastic, I'm planning to finish the entire book within the next few days.

Anyone here have experiences running things in that mythos that might be helpful?

Not likely. /ysg/ prefers 'le cosmic entropy XD' from Delta Green to the original King in Yellow

The original King in Yellow is best but the Delta Green reinterpretation is much more suitable for actual use in a campaign, which is the entire reason that game was created.

There is a collection of one shots for CoC called, I think, Curse of the Yellow Sign which sticks a bit closer to the original material. From what I remember the scenarios are good but the horror is more nebulous and there are a few more opportunities for unavoidable death and/or insanity than I'd like. It's worth checking out though.

This is extra clever, it being BPRD (or a RPG) you're waiting for some supernatural fuckery, and when it shows up you're kinda relieved you found it.

But nope, just a mundane trap.

For players (or readers) this would raise tension because that means they haven't discovered the inevitable supernatural fuckery.