WIP THREAD

Wrong yellow edition!!!

Work In Progress - painting, converting, and sculpting.

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
[YouTube] Build A Light Box On The Cheap, Take Gorgeous Photos! (embed)

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
[YouTube] Wet Palette: What Is It? Make Your Own (embed)

>How to Moldlines
[YouTube] Removing mold lines from models (embed)

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
[YouTube] How to Magnetize a Tyranid Carnifex (embed)
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg (embed)

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>I am the hammer! I am the point of His spear! I am the mail about His fist! I am the bane of His foes!
[YouTube] The Lord Inquisitor - "Grey Knights" Teaser [UHD] (embed)

>Previous Threads:
→ #
→ #
→ #
→ #
→ #
→ #

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-RK-1-Additional-Regulator/dp/B0078MEXX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490565086&sr=8-1&keywords=badger krome
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I need a little paint advice.

I would work on brightening the mustard color, and doing some more work on the lenses. Traditional blue would pop well due to your color pallet.

Im keeping the yellow as is as I like it but i'll probably change the lenses to blue at some point.

Is it usual for like half a bag of Lichen to be sort of rotten?

Got a bag of exciting colours, but a load seems limp and discoloured. It was only £2 a bag so I'll live.

How do they even prepare it for modelling? Do they just grow the plant and tear chunks off, which will eventually rot on the base, or is it treated somehow? I don't think Lichen comes in fluorescent orange like in my bag.

What's everyone been doing over the weekend?

Finally got my favourite AdMech unit pinned, magnetized and assembled.
Gonna see if I can give them a paintjob, or at least start with it, this week, hoping I can before next weekend. Also praying that the magnets in the Blasters will stay put once the greenstuff is dried and can hold the greenstuff's weight.

Building this fucking Magos on the side is way too distracting. Don't get anything else done and don't get any real progress on him done either.

Been getting down my colour scheme for each role in my Tau army. Now I have 1 FW, pathfinder, stealthsuit and drone done. I have all the guidance needed to do up almost the entire thing. I'm stoked, I've never felt such painting drive before, I usually find it tedious at best.

I love kastelans. They may be my favourite 40k model.

I need to start and Admech army...

Is this red good enough for thousand sons? Should I do another few passes of tamiya clear red? Ignore the bare golds on the face its a test model.

I'm so sorry for the file size, I chose the wrong file.

Here's the less triggering image.

I would say izt's ok, but the light is distracting a little bit

Doing the highlights of my devilfish and drones
After that I can go on with the terrain for them and my pathfinders
It's weird, I really enjoy painting the individual soldiers and the battlesuits, but the drones are a chore to me
Welp, at least I have something to do until my riptide gets delivered fucking GW always takes so fucking long to deliver

What colour scheme do you have?

Unfinished best legion coming through

Also am working on finishing my 4th BA for a game tomorrow, just finished apply line shade to him , need to finish the special weapons guy too

Am using the second head which is finished for the most part

I personally disagree. I think they look silly, and don't fit in with the 40k aesthetic. I do wish Skitarii had Canticles though...

Bumping

I really don't known what to do for Deldar bases, and I'm not sure about what colors to go with a dark green armor. That's IF I should even do dark green and not keep. It closer to black with green highlights

These:

Damn, that does look good. Love your highlights, done real nice

Thank you very much! I wanted to keep it as simple as possible as I honestly think I suck at painting. I take year-long hiatuses.. I find this scheme very pleasing to the eye though, which is really giving me the drive.

I personally love the Kastelans as well.
Its pretty funny how extremely opinionating those things are, everybody either loves them or hates them, nobody's ever really neutral about them.

>You put your left arm in, you take your left arm out, you put your left arm in and you shake it all about

Yeah, noticed that both have their left arms up after already assembling them. Looks a bit silly but still seems aight.

Like it better than placing both arms straight up for the blasters and them doing a zombie-walk pose if the hands are on instead.

Need to really figure out which parts to paint White, Red or Metallic Blue. Absolutely no idea how to do them.

The pose was funny because it looks like your Datasmith is doing it too.

Excellent scheme by the way.

accidentally left my brush sitting upright in water, now im having a hell of a time getting it to keep a point. anything I can do to fix it, or am I fucked?

Oh, good. I was hoping to weigh in on this - and that OP isn't even mine (What?!? With all the broken video links? Emperor's Teeth)!

Most GW tutorials for silver end up with Runefang Steel (the old Mithril Silver) as the highest highlight, but I don't think he did that kind of thing here. The gears look a little darker - more used and worn.

Didn't even realize the Smith does the same, heh.

Guess I can just say they use some kind of adaptive behaviour protocols that link their movement to their affiliated Datasmith's. Because techno-babble to solve silly issues is always a good solution.

Thanks, by the way!

Have you tried using brush soap on it to fix it into shape? Has saved me a few times already.

dunno what brush soap is

How do you guys keep motivated when you are working on something? I keep on having issues of leaving things half finished,

>anything I can do to fix it, or am I fucked?

You can *try* using Masters Brush Cleaner, but it might be better to just buy a new brush and keep this ruined one around to mix paints, drybrush, etc.

>4.16mb
oh geeze oh man

this is just nuts

Golly, Ohio

>4.16mb
Oh fuck, uploaded the un-resized one. Sorry about that. Fucking phone literally has no smaller image setting and it's pretty fucking stupid.

Look at a color wheel, read up on some color theory to figure what color to pair it with.

Those kastelans, paint one red and another blue, plz

>How do you guys keep motivated when you are working on something? I keep on having issues of leaving things half finished,

1). Remove any projects you are not working on and get them out of sight. Just keep the small amount of models you are currently focused on in your work space. Even subconsciously, the sight of a legion of bare grey plastic can be pretty disheartening.
2). Force yourself to do something small - a little thing like removing some mold lines or clipping a few bitz off a sprue - when your urges are telling you to be lazy otherwise, and see if that kindles something. Frequently when I start by doing something that seemed inconsequential, I look up and realize that just turned into a 90-minute painting session. I promise, you'll paint a lot more models doing that than you will watching TV or playing video games.
3). Put on some music, or have a familiar movie/video playlist (some elegan/tg/entlemen suggest podcasts or our own Blessed Saint's painting tutorials) going in the background.
4). Go down to your LGS and either get into a game, watch one in progress, shoot da bull, or just see what da uvver ladz iz wurkin' on. That never fails to make me want to paint more (just ta show 'em!).

You know, that might actually be a pretty neat solution. White as the primary color, paint one's knees and other "outwards armor plates" in blue and the other's in red. Gonna give that some actual consideration since it could be pretty fun.
Even if I don't think I ever saw that show.

Not doubting G-Dub's ability to put water in a jar and sell it as "High Performance Wash Medium," is there any worthwhile hardware store alternative to GreenStuff (or Bluestuff etc) that can be used for sculpting and molding? Its just epoxy putty right?

>is there any worthwhile hardware store alternative to GreenStuff

Google "Kneadatite", and you will have all sorts of merchants falling all over themselves to sell it to you at a fraction of GW's prices.

thanks I will give that a try.

I m working on painting up one of those revel Uwings to practice and get my grove back after an 8 year break

look up kneadite, it is the trade name of greenstuff, you can get larger quantities of it. the key thing is you want something that you can work with, but not quick set. most of the stuff in amazon has tubs of grey stuff you can get, it is a bit brittle for unsupported stuff, but for surfaces, it is great

So, I've got my Electro-Priest sprues from the Eradication cohort I picked up earlier this year still lying around, gather dust and I don't intend on ever building the actual models since I also already stole a bunch of their bits anyway.

Been wondering what to possibly use their bodies for. They'd obviously make for pretty decent Datasmiths, but I'll never, ever need that many of them. Also considered maybe just using their lower bodies to make some heavily robed Black Templars, but not really convinced how silly that'd look either.

Any ideas?

Any images of easy ways to base your minis? I saw an user comment that white glue+sand works. Im new to basing, so i dont even know if i need to sand the base flat first.

Much thanks.

If I'm magnetizing pic related should I be using 1/8 x 1/16 or 1/16 x 1/32? I really don't want to mess these guys up.

Hey guy, I know you're lurking. Do you remember where the robe piece on this dude came from? I can't place it.

I'm not that guy, but it looks exactly like one of the robes from the Black Templars upgrade pack with its belt covered in Dark Angels icons. The folds even match up, so I'm pretty sure it is.

Reposting for Imperial Austrian Guard Soon™

I guess that's what I'll have to do. I usually just ask people because I'm actually a bit colorblind and can't into what shades go with what.

Also, how feasible is it to magnetize special/wych weapons for Deldar?

you are 100% sir

I knew knowing all my dude's armors would be helpful one day!

Hey! Noobie here, actively trying to put together and paint my very first minis. I'm working on some basic fire warriors with rifles, and trying to make sure I have my order of operations correct.

I've cut relevant pieces out of the sprue, and am in the process of cleaning mold lines. I've noticed that some of the arm-positions will make painting their interiors somewhat difficult, and am currently debating the merits of painting before/during/after assembly. My primer is a can, though- So if I wanted to paint the body and arms/weapon separately, what would be the best way to go about it?

1. Paint body->Attach arms/weapon->Paint those (Not sure how to prime just the arms/weapon since body is already painted)
2. Paint body->Paint arms/weapons->Attach arms/weapon (Not sure if gluing would be more difficult once parts were painted?)

And also, I take it I should be using thin glue for these little guys? Thanks!

Thoughts on the Black Orc Big Boss? Going to attach a gore-choppa blade to his weapon asap.

dwarf shield seems really out of character for an ork

this, i like the helmet but that shield is not orky enough, maybe if it had some battle damage or looked like it was looted it would fit in more.

what i really want to see is someone take that huge skull on his shoulder and replace the head with that.

If he beats up the shield it can be looted! or Green stuff over the runes!

It's a Space Wolf shield, but I think I get what you mean.

I think I'm going to add scrap fragments of armor, to make it look like he hammered some pig-iron onto it.

Nah, sounds like the manufacturer either bodged up the drying process or the bag got wet. If you want to give it a whirl, you could probably dry it back out in the oven if you set it for something low.

I personally prefer option 2 a lot. Main benefit of making partial assemblies is being able to get into every spot with easy on both the body and the arms, so attaching and then painting kind of defeats that purpose.

As for the glue, I use Revell glue whenever I can. It's great quality stuff and its kind of glue melts the pieces together, so they sure as hell won't fall off, unlike with regular super glue and similar stuff. Just make sure to glue the bare plastic together, so keep the surfaces you are going to apply the glue to unpainted.

Thank you very much! What do you recommend for keeping the gluing-surfaces clear while you paint the rest? Would simple scotch tape do the trick?

>Any images of easy ways to base your minis?

Yes. Green base with flock glued on it (pic related) is about as lazy as it gets if you still want to call your model based.

>I saw an user comment that white glue+sand works.

It does, but *please* paint. wash, and highlight your sand. Like water, it does not scale well at 28mm without being painted.

>I'm new to basing, so i dont even know if i need to sand the base flat first.

No, you don't. You could:

1). Flock it (lazy and cheap)
2). Paint it with textured paint (lazy, slightly more expensive if you buy the good stuff)
3). Add a nice big chunk of cork for your model to stand on heroically (will require some actual painting skill, but not that hard and not to pricey)
4). Glue on da sand, paint it, and decorate it (as involved and expensive as you want to make it)
5). Buy a custom base and paint it (lazy until you get to the painting part).

>What do you recommend for keeping the gluing-surfaces clear while you paint the rest?

This stuff works pretty darn well.

Honestly, just don't paint onto them. I'm not sure how exactly Fire Warriors are put together, but if my Marines and Skitarii are anything to go by, just keeping the shoulder-surface and hand-connection unpainted is usually enough.

lets play a game /wip/
i bought a kilo box of assorted IG bits and have a few i cannot identify for the life of me. lets see if we can collaboratively identify every bit in the tray!

Well, to make an educated guess, that huge-ass missile is probably from those tanks they have with huge-ass missiles.

some are from the scion command squad

I know I'm not having the proper photo setup for nice pictures and I'm very shitty at painting but what are your thoughts and/or criticisms on this screamer I just finished?

I mentioned above that my main primer is a spray-can. Does the primer not interfere with the gluing?

Doesn't look shitty at all, user. Main complaints would be that the attachment point of the tail is that visible and that the horns are a bit too flat. The blending is pretty nice, how did you do it?

Oh, sorry, overlooked that.
You can probably just scrap it off. Didn't have any trouble with that stuff so far.

I've been doing light drybrushing for all my blending right now since I know I'm garbage at actually blending worth anything.
Unfortunately when I started my Tzeentch daemons and tried to blend through drybrushing for the first time I think I may have screwed something up. The only flamer I have done so far made me want to quite life, it looks way too dry imo and I don't know what happened to that that made it so screwed compared to the screamer.

thanks for the input, I'll be getting the paints and trying to replicate this paint scheme.

I've been attempting to do some actual blending/transitions though, like on the fire on this blue horror's sword

I think those both look alright. Not breathtaking, but nothing to me ashamed of either. Paint just looks a tad bit thick, but I think it's fine, especially from a realistic distance, since people will rarely see them super up-close.

Can anyone tell me what green this is, and what the highlight is? Doesn't need to be Citadel, can be P3 or Vallejo, too.

Alright. Other than thinning my paints even more so than I have been trying to before, any other tips you can provide for improvement with what you've seen?

paint job looks fine but not spectacular, certainly nothing to be emberassed about because it isnt shitty.

i would try adding some depth to those big horns

Hard to judge. None of my models really use the same colors or paints as yours and other than some more paint thinning, I really don't know what to aim for. Maybe just some more washing to get a bit more shading on your dudes.

Stop drybrushing, and start trying to actually use glazes and blends. You can't get better at it if you try and sidestep the issue with drybrushing.

something that would majorly improve your paint scheme is a proper base, not a fan of the bases you got going on rn

basing is not as easy as people like to make it seem, but with practice you can create a base that truly complements your model

if your models have a light paint scheme, then dont use a light base use a dark base and vise versa for dark models.

looks like it could be a really heavily shaded castellan green with straken green highlighting, maybe

Thanks man I appreciate it.

If my army has guys with blue robes would it be weird if my conscripts had dark green tunics instead of blue tunics? I'm the valhallan guy, basically tldr
>making conscripts, using converted cadians with headswap and greenstuff
>army uses blue robes, want to dry a green for conscripts

>want to work on models
>had a long beer and drank 2 beer while watching animu during dinner
>too tired now and can barely keep my eyes open
Uuuugh this sucks.

>had a long beer
Yeah, I this just proved to me that I should just stopbworking for today, jeez.

did someone say valhallan guy

That's a hunter killer missile, and bits from Militarum Tempestus.

>make post
>get memes
Every time

>servo-skull
>pistol arm (hot-shot laspistol)
>winged horse
>holstered lasgun
>radio (vox caster)
>aquila
>combat knife

Tempestus Scion kit. Also that thing in the top right next to the missle might be a hot-shot volley gun but I can't tell for sure.

The missile's from the Valkyrie kit; the one-use only S8 AP3 weapon that everybody replaces with rocket pods or twin-linked lascannons.

Gas tank/pouch and the hammer are from the Taurox kit I think.

Not sure about the bit below the pistol arm or just below the missle.

Death World Forest with Athonian Camoshade

Making work on my ba asaault squad, head is done but rest of body neess line highlights

Thoughts? I know its not the best and im new to BA color scheme

1/2

2/2

Has anyone tried the Citadel Air paints?

Thanks man

stop posting this BA shit noone cares about ever single model in your squad.

I feel like I should finally pull the fucking trigger on an air brush. I can only imagine it makes things 1000% easier, especially for tanks and shit, but even shit like base coating can be done with the press of a fucking button

Thanks for letting us know.
(You)
Happy?

Sorry, I'm just frustrated because they're expensive, and even then I live in an efficiency so an air brush is probably a bad idea.

will post exactly what i posted in another thread
I got an airbrush because i wanted to really crank up my painting game and am the type of person were i want to get better after every single model i paint

I bought the master brush and compressor kit which ran me around 80$. couple of things

the master brush was shit, it clogged constantly and was poorly built. it would gunk up due to design tolerances and be a general headache to use. it eventually broke after i had to take it apart for the millionth time and thats when i decided to buy a real airbrush

I bought this airbrush amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-RK-1-Additional-Regulator/dp/B0078MEXX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490565086&sr=8-1&keywords=badger krome And have never regretted it, it is totally worth the investment and i still use my shitty compressor which works fine for me. the compressor only comes into play when you are applying really detailed coats, and even then if you are careful you can make it work just fine

just save yourself teh headache of finding out which homebrew thinners do and dont work and just by vallejo airbrush thinner and avoid thinning with water unless it is distilled, and make sure to religiously clean the brush after every spray to keep it from gunking

when you think your paint, get it to the consistency were it is thin but also sticks to the cup. This is the hardest part to figure out and you WILL NEED TRIAL AND ERROR.

I prefer to use 20 psi for general painting of miniatures and less than 10 for details, but i also use a .2 needles which may account for this.

any more questions?

hey guys I'm new, do you need to take a full platoon with death korps or can you just take an infantry squad? I'm thinking it's the former but I need confirmation, pretty sure it's the same for IG if that helps
I'm looking to get into kill team

are you from austria?

isn't actually the magazin called Johnny?