/swg/ Star Wars General

The Force is a Spook edition

Previous thread: Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6
>mega.nz/#!DkNTDTyZ!PUupCOep4RmRcsgI3rNhU_Pk_xcyFbYWnhrq8gwrVv0

Shipfag's Starship Combat Fixes for EotE/AoR/FaD
>mediafire.com/file/y9w713etmckbs98/Shipfag.JPG

Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault, Star Wars: Destiny and the Star Wars LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZE4gn0yN

Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png

Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/cJY5FK9T

Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

HoTAC
>dockingbay416.com/campaign

How do you feel about characters who don't believe in the Force? Not just because the Empire discourages it, but because they have some rational reason to think it's all a hoax?

Other urls found in this thread:

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stormtrooper_Corps/
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Army
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stormtrooper_Corps
youtube.com/watch?v=W7bmXywWus8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Seems fine to me. If the force was so awesome, it didn't stop the jedi from being corrupt/wiped out (depending on what you believe) and it didn't stop the empire from taking over.

Eh, 90% of people in the galaxy will never see a force user force using in person.
So it's pretty understandable.

Presuming they arent obnoxiously obtuse about it when someone in front of them is quite definitely using the force.

Not like that fucker in my last D&D game I ran who wanted her character to be an athiest who doesnt think gods exist. In Forgotten Realms. A year after the end of the Time of Troubles.

>putting star wars in the title
Whelp, we're fucked

Hmmm, good point. Thanks for the help!

Why? Just because the thread will attract more attention?

But user, our own conversations are retarded enough, we dont need filthy OUTSIDERS joining in.

It tends to draw disproportionately high numbers of shitposters who also troll /co/ and /tv/ It was really bad when TFA came out, though the recent rash of Imperial vs Rebel reductivist arguments are probably similar

Because it's measurably more likely to cause shitposters to show up

hurr durr revan is snoke ahsoka is mai waifu tcw is not canon :^)

TFA was dissapointing is so many ways that I was prepared for the consequential shitposting even if very little of it was constructive.

It's harder to wrap my head around people who start throwing IRL political namecalling around in defense of a fictional institution. Particularly when the three big things you first see them do in any media is storm a ship and send its entire crew off for torture and execution for stealing government documents, literally incinerate Luke's family for having unknowingly taken in the droids carrying those documents, and blowing up AN ENTIRE FUCKING PLANET because a handful of its political leaders are implicit in the theft of those documents. Nevermind the actual Death Star itself.

I honestly couldn't enjoy the style of the Empire as much as I do if they weren't so monochrome and occasionally cartoonish in their villainy.

hey whats some good media with imperials as the main characters. I love exploring the government and inner workings of the Empire (old and new) and there Fascist/ Prussian General Staff Aesthetic

Rogue Squadron comics have a set from the pov of Soontir Fel and his squadron, and the ones following have some stuff from the pov of Isard and the people running the Empire.

also thoughts on running a rp game from the imperials point of view

Tarkin by James Luceno is excellent

Hogan's Hero's

Have you seen the imperial handbook? Full of info for this.

Running a game from the Empire's point of view will run into a few issues just in terms of theme.

Presumably, you have players who arent going to go "The empire's evil, lets defect' or that'll derail your game pretty quick.

Beyond that, there's the problem of being part of the dominant military force in the galaxy - there's no underdog story, and you're not struggling to try and get by.
As such, the thing to do would probably be to play as a group of ISB agents - that way youre operating behind enemy lines and undercover, so the players arent able to just waltz through easily.

On the flip side, you could go with them just being basic TIE pilots or Stormtroopers with no real ability to affect anything, but that might get dull fast.
Oh, plus, if you're gonna run them as TIE pilots, you'll definitely want to houserule the game's starfighter combat or theyre straight up fucked.

The Imperial Sourcebook is full of gold information

Obligatory "Play TIE Fighter" comment.

oh yeah Only War: Star Wars edition is pretty obvious

I also like the idea of regular Imperial Army Troopers doin there thang with limited support.

Or maybe a high power level game of politics between the byzantine branches of the imperial beurocracy military, or straight up post empire warlordism

TIE Fighter, the Baron Fel comic, Lords of the Sith. Technically also the Thrawn trilogy if you count the primary antagonist as a main character.

Who else is looking forward to Spirit of Rebellion coming out?

There are ways to make "soldiers in an awesomely powerful army" interesting.

know were i can download these?

All I want to do is be best bros in the rebellion and fuck shit up with the squad.

True enough, but from an Imperial point of view, in such a repressive and controlling system it'd be hard for the average Stormtrooper to be particularly individual.

Outside special forces, ofc.

>Beyond that, there's the problem of being part of the dominant military force in the galaxy - there's no underdog story
You could always have a Black Hawk Down scenario where the Imps are outnumbered And cut off on an individual planet.

The First Order maybe, but Stormtroopers are guys. In fluff, incredibly badass guys who just happened to be against pure plot armor, but still joes.

You're not thinking creatively enough if you can't think of an underdog story within the Imperial military.

The local moff could be corrupt, and the PCs are just loyal Imperial soldiers or stormtroopers who stumbled upon evidence. The whole planet is against them, but they want to do the right thing and make the Empire stronger by eliminating such criminals.

Or you could have a rivalry between two commanders, with your CO on the losing end.

Or the PCs are crewing an Imperial transport that is forced to land on a heavily Rebel-aligned world.

That's true, and i mean they can be individual people and have individual skills, but expressing themselves via their appearance is a no go, and expressing their opinions to their superior officer is a fast track to a bad time.

Unless of course, they get lucky with their commanding officer.

Obivously you can create an underdog story in the military, but my point was that it doesnt have one built in - you have to create it.

The Rebels, the criminals in Edge and the Jedi in FaD are all wanted by the authorities and already stuck on the wrong side of the law - they're up against it by default.

I guess I didnt word my original post well, that's on me.

Stormtroopers kind of are already the special forces. Theres a whole army of regular grunts behind them, along with navy logistics and others.

You could do pic related with a force ghost?

sauce for that keksimus maximus

Comic called "Haunted tank"
It's pretty much all jokes about race and racism.

perfect for Veeky Forums

Yeah, bt that's why you have squadmates. I'd say take a page from Republic Commando and take advantage of you actually being badass super troopers. Be the Imperial Heroes who take out the rebel terrorists, or just shoot the shit with bros.

>"The Haunted Tank returned in 2008 as a five-issue mini-series from Vertigo, written by Frank Marraffino, with art by Henry Flint.[20][21] The new series is set during Operation Iraqi Freedom, and features the General becoming the guardian of an M1 Abrams, commanded by an African-American Sergeant Stuart, who (at least initially) does not take kindly to the ghost's outmoded attitudes and language concerning his race. The mini-series serves as an acerbic, no-holds barred satire about an entire gamut of racism both casual and institutionalized."
Nice

Then don't make it about stormtroopers. Make it about a bunch of Imperial Army grunts. The standards are laxer and they don't have to worry nearly as much about publicity, so you can have the cast be as goofy as you need them to be.

>Stormtroopers are special forces and not the main infantry

nice meme

Are you serious? Didn't think /swg/ had casuals or this level.

>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stormtrooper_Corps/
>The Stormtrooper Corps was an independent military branch that operated alongside the Imperial Army and Navy of the Galactic Empire. It was the smallest of the primary three branches of the military.

You don't see anything other than Stormtroopers as the lowest of the low, even on crap backwater worlds. Rogue One not having them pretty much killed the idea in a visual medium.

I think you're trying to throw a legends link out but there is a basic infantry in canon.

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Army
>The Imperial Army had its own infantry, distinct from the stormtroopers. These troopers were made up of a mixture of conscripts and enlistees and used to garrison planets. They were generally less committed to remaining loyal to the Empire than the stormtroopers.

But they sound like rebel defectors waiting to happen and we'll never see them in anything meaningful.

>you're trying to throw a legends link
whoops, ditch the slash
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stormtrooper_Corps

The quote you gave came from the legends page.

oops

Star Wars Western game set on the on the Outer Rim protecting locals from various scum and the encroaching Hutts

Good Idea Y/N?

Thoughts on jaba? Seems like hes limited in the ships you can field him in at the moment.

>Hutts
Good idea up until the hutts get involved, because they're too well known and way, way too big. Think smaller, watch that clone wars episode with hondo robbing farmers. Maybe the bosses bosses boss could be a hutt, but certainly not leading the grunts on the ground

>punishing its crew for stealing vital documents that put the lives of thousands of your personnel at risk
>bad

>a lone group incinerating a belligerent family that may or may not have had ties to a rebellion
>a mistake that somehow means whole empire = bad

>planet with massive military base, numerous rebel dissidents, and a leadership hierarchy full of rebel dissidents blown up AFTER rebels and the planet steal said documents, endanger thousands of your personnel and people, attack your forces, lie to you directly, and refuse to cooperate

>building a space station built for enforcing law and order and expanding naval might with a superweapon capable of destroying a planet
>military expansion is bad

I'm not going to say the Empire was perfect, but not a single thing you listed makes them evil in any capacity. It seems all people can ever do when calling the Empire evil is to bring up a superweapon, the destruction of a planet in a very morally ambiguous situation and fascism, which isn't even an evil ideology.

I've played in multiple Imperial campaigns with little issue. To circumvent the problem of military dominance and struggle I've usually seen DMs place us in positions as commandos or stuck on far-flung planets without much Imperial presence. To help the players avoid the "let's defect" mentality show in fairness the bad shit the Rebellion does. Have them blow up a governor's palace when he refuses to help them, execute supposed Imperial spies in a settlements, and general attacks of terror that the Rebellion did in fact commit in canon (as far as EU goes at least).

Stormtroopers are very much humans, just given rigorous "be loyal" training. Stormtroopers who retire are no different in personality from civilians, at least no different than any veteran soldier would be returning to civil life.

It's been said before and I'll say it again. In lore, Stormtroopers mop up Rebel troopers like a scythe cuts down wheat.

I think he's about as boring and safe a card as they could have possibly gone for. Salvage Crane was more interesting.

Oh definitely not on the ground. I mean the Hutt Cartels expanding into new frontiers.

I have no doubt Storm Troopers wreck shit. But that doesn't mean there wouldn't be a reason for Storm Troopers to go do their special forces shit, or otherwise dealing with the kind of terrorist/insurgent stuff that makes actually fighting them a god damn nightmare.

>Fascism
>Not an evil ideology

We have this fucking argument every goddamn thread and Star Wars is honestly the worst material to use for deep musings, even terrifyingly wrong ones. The Empire has a pretty cool aesthetic and I'm all for stormies, TIEs and Star Destroyers but "Empire dindu nuffin" is silly

Debatable, but yeah, usual wording of "You" will indicate no. He's not worth 5 points and two slots to double SLAM or double EMP on a YV, but presumably will be FAQed to clarify that his effect applied to all tokens regardless of which "you" it is.

I don't think anyone's ever claimed the Empire hasn't done wrong things, but something being fascist does not make it evil, and to say it's pure evil because of its fascistic ideas implemented by its government is even sillier than claiming the Empire's flawless and perfect.

>planet with a massive military base
so Alderaan being a planet of pacifists, with Leia begging them not to fire because Alderaan can not defend itself just slid by you? Or are you dismissing literally the only information we have about Alderaan because it doesn't fit your narrative?

Limiting individual freedom is evil

Except that's the exact opposite of what happened. The EU makes it clear that Alderaan has a powerful military, a militantly Alliance-supporting government, many Alliance-supporting citizens, and that it's not only provided aid to the Alliance on numerous occasions, but has lied and hidden this from the Empire, and Leia herself lied as a means to plead Tarkin to not attack, all of this after Alderaan proved almost directly responsible for the theft of the Death Star plans and the trouble it caused for the Empire.

Not always, and fascism doesn't equal stripping individual freedom. Rather, it places importance of the state and its wellbeing over the wellbeing of individuals, as fascism is built on the belief that the state's prosperity and the prosperity of its inhabitants are intrinsically connected, and that the state prospering starts a reciprocating, symbiotic relationship. The state prospers because the people prosper because the state prospers.

>Fascism
>Encourages conflict on basis of supporting ultra-nationalist viewpoints and jingoism to focus peoples' attention in external problems
>Inevitable suppression of dissidents or minorities as either real or manufactured fifth columns to further unite people against an "enemy"
>Lack of oversight makes low level corruption easily flourish and allows for petty infighting to remove real or perceived threats
>Lack of strong ability for peaceful transference of power leads to inevitable purges, coups or even full on civil wars during desperate power grabs
>Not evil

K

>Fascism
>encourages strong defense and aggression to outside threats in order to secure one's existence while also supporting nationalism and the peoples' support in the nation and their national identity, keeping them unafraid to defend themselves
>suppressing dissidents who would otherwise want to see the state collapse and decline while uniting people against common enemies, minorities having nothing to do with fascism as a political system
>a strong central government to provide constant checking of lower authorities to eliminate corruption as the baseline level and prevent it from creeping upward or outward
>power grabs can occur if a future is not properly laid out and if the leadership has not developed proper contingency plans

Fixed that for ya

Yet it is used to destroy freedom based on what is "good" for the state. It's bad like all Authoritarian forms of government.

How was the Alliance encouraging revolts, terror attacks, and theft of government property not bad for the Imperial State?

Every society needs to choose where to draw that line. What if I want to exercise my personal freedom in a way that damages society? Perhaps I want to abuse drugs, wasting the resources that society has allocated to my life. Should that be legal, or is limiting personal freedom still universally evil?

Because that came long after the Empire killed or imprisoned people for speaking out or protesting any injustice committed.

if individual freedom was limitless it would be anarchy, and every attempt at an anarchist society in history has been a miserable and bloody failure

Good idea. We were going to do a western along the Hutt highway where they were the mexicans/peeps that had been there a while. Had their own toughs. Empire was the cavalry, Zygerrians the injuns, Black Sun as all manner of bandits. Roughly.

They imprisoned people who openly protested, and even then not always. They didn't start killing anyone until it became a rare necessity in response to the Alliance's actions. Even the AOR book has a Rebel rousing NPC, and it implies more or less directly that the Alliance often implants agents into protesting crowds to attack Imperial forces in ambush or to fire on them if the protest becomes violent. The Empire is aware of this. It's like the Boston Massacre. You're a group of half a dozen soldiers facing down a crowd of hundreds, all of whom could have weapons and all of whom are angry at you. Do you let them stay there and risk getting murdered, or do you disperse them?

>Do you let them stay there and risk getting murdered, or do you disperse them?
You could always land you ship on the crowd.

It's beneficial to help people become productive members of society yes. You target the drugs, not the victims. You also help prevent measures were drug use would be better than living without them.

Which is why you do it in a way that maximizes both safety and freedom as much as possible at the same time. Like America has been doing as best as possible. So some official can't do stupid shit like make Star Wars enemy propaganda and a danger to the state.

Oh, well, I guess the Empire coming to your world and stripping it off it's culture, resources, etc is fine. Thanks now Sheev can make his JO crystal.

The only culture you need in the Empire is the Imperial culture.

A bounty hunter spaghetti western would make me hard as fuck

Truly, the Empire is the epitome of high culture. How can aliens even compete with this?
youtube.com/watch?v=W7bmXywWus8

Mmm the exquisite culture of an incompetent military.

so, you get a little tingle down your spine until you hold your TIEs in you hangar bay or as long as possible too right? its a wonderful feeling, only launching 6 TIEs to intercept a running freighter. Almost as much fun as ordering to intensify forward firepower AFTER your shield generator goes down and you have fighters crawling all over your superstructure.

You think that's the shit? Try disobeying your cunt superior to take out the rebel command ship! Oh man I'm really feeling it! I'll be rolling in glory!!

Get that glory user. Who cares about strategic placement, you'll be getting to be grand admiral yourself if you take down the enemy command ship. Just gotta soak it in.

RIP Interdictor #2.

I have a friend who fucking adores the Interdictor. Showing him that clip is gonna be such fun to taunt with. Especially if I get to ram his baby in our Corellian Conflict.

Alas, you can't do it with the same ship unless FFG is gonna do cross-faction in Armada.

Just use a Hammerhead corvette and call it Sato's Sacrifice

I figure they'll eventually do a cross faction trade like they did for scum and rebels.
If we never get a Flurry title I'll be goddamn amazed considering we got fucking Jaina's light of all ships.

Badlands: A Star Wars Story
>On the frontier of known space, criminals and vigilantes alike ply the stars away from the evil Galactic Empire.
>In the Badlands regions scum and villains exploit the good colonists who have settled there.
>Their only hope is a group of heroes who have come seeking their own freedom.

Depending on their actions, have them either be elected mayor/sheriff of a colony or take the mayorhood by force. Deal with exploitation by cartel bullies, depredations by freaky giant alien monsters, collect supplies from the regional center and dodge pirates when returning with their cargo, dispense frontier justice, find some rather valuable but labour or skill intensive good within the colonial boundaries, import workers through diplomacy or blaster diplomacy, make contracts with an up-and-coming underdog trade group to sell off commodities and kick the big syndicates in the profit margins, and generally make money and chew bubblegum.

Fuck yeah. Jedi on the run, Bounty Hunter coming to make do, Colonists rising up, and Rebels building up outposts.

>Galactic Empire
>evil

Your first and biggest mistake.

This mindset always amuses me when people want to do "freedom" games and be fringers.

>let's be free from the empire!
>by being subservient to the alliance!

I watched a homebrew campaign played once and even one of the players in-character and out-of-character got frustrated that his party, after seeing the Empire arrived, said they wanted to get the Rebels involved to secure their planet, because A: they had no idea who the Empire or Rebels were and B: they wanted to keep their planet free by giving control of it to the Alliance Military, and other three players and GM just said "dude just roll with it", and I could empathize with his frustration.

Ew, jedi. Ew, rebels. No civil war here, no weird space wizards, just honest people making a living and dishonest ones trying to take one. Why fight idealists or authoritarians when you're not in the sphere of influence of their empire?

Fuck that nigga, it's the only place for some classic samurai in the west sort of deal. I'm not here for space wizards, I'm here for wild west samurai with lightsabers.

>Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

>Not realizing that it's the perfect opportunity to reenact Red Sun in space

Let's assume you use minis for your Star Wars RPG games. Big assumption, I know.

What do you use for it? Obviously Wizards put out their Star Wars Minis for their d20 stuff with a 1-inch grid and all that nonsense, but what about other stuff?

I bought up one of each thing in the Star Wars Command line because they seemed neat and seemed like a decent deal for what they were, but I haven't actually had cause to use any of them yet. Does anywhere here even know what I'm talking about and know if it would be a good fit for RPG stuff?

Pic related, it's a few of the Star Wars Command minis. The concept seems to be for them to be Star Wars green army men, at the kind of markup you'd expect from Ha$bro.

A jedi growing from the start as a PC loses its wow factor, one suddenly exploding through an enemy checkpoint while the party prepares to enact an incredibly convoluted plot to do the same and watching them struggle to react is one of the most fun things i've ever done to them. For me, at least.

good taste in westerns, but solo jedi both centralise a campaign around their exploits, generally forces the party to one end of the moral compass, and attract Vader and/or star destroyers in great numbers. Not a thing you want when trying to create a colony of a few hundred citizens

Been away for a while.
How did you guys like the rebels finale?

when will a peeved sheev end-u the bendu?

Enjoyable, barring orbital bombardment scene, honestly the space battle in general, and bendu not killing as many rebels as he ought to have. Lots of unexpected survivals. Enjoyed the jap kamikazeing himself

Twin suns probably wouldve been the better finale for the season, i feel

I loved it. It felt like a half-length Star Wars movie brought to the television screen. Crazy twists, awesome space battles, lots of good quips.

It was great but doesn't measure up to Twilight of the Apprentice.

The loss of Sato and Konstantine is ultimately irrelevant in the grand scheme of things thanks to Dodonna and Pryce respectively being perfectly positioned to replace them.

Ultimately, Thrawn and the Bendu were a let down but in the end, the rebels won in a way that FEELS like a loss, so Thrawn at least did acceptably well, since there's no way he would have been allowed the total victory he damn well deserved.

Just use the legos

I liked the overall tempo of the two ep's, very quick and a lot of stuff happened considering it was 50 or so minutes to pack it all in. Not like some shows where you get a bit of a 'filler' episode full of feels and other fuckery
Lot of yolo activity that normally only players would do like jumping on a ship in zero-g and shooting rockets point blank into it and pissing off powerful force to the point they 'hold my beer, watch this'. Thrawn technically won the engagement, destroyed their base, caused severe casualties and if it wasn't for certain dumb arse junior officers not following orders it probably would have been a complete wipe.
Plus Kallus did some dirty, low down sneaky spook shit and managed to get away with it.