Sell me on pathfinder

I've started playing roleplaying games last year and I started on 5e but looking at people's comments people talk a lot of shit about 5e and hype pathfinder and 3.5 up.

As a newbie Dungeon Master please tell me why my next campaign should be pathfinder and not 5e

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/classes/
d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/occult-classes/
giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279503-D-amp-D-in-M-amp-M-a-new-approach-to-rebalancing-3-5-PF
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You should play Pathfinder before you DM it, then you will know for yourself.

On the other hand, do it if you want to. Fun can be had with any game.

If you like transgender Dwarf Shaman that come to be via finding a ((Lizard)) familiar after falling downa ravine, that literally teaches it how to make Hormones, yeah, not a gender change potion, literal hormone blockers to calm down
>Her
Raging Hormones that assists "her" in finding ore veins for her clan, then Pathfinder is for you!
This entire fucking premise is not only real, but stolen from a d20 splatbook called Book of forbidden carnal lusts

Like Literally 3rd Reich with Devil Worship and a Devil that's actually a pretty cool guy because he's Patriarchy incarnate, according to lore? Then Pathfinder is for you!

Like the Old way 1st edition way Liches were created and how demiliches came to be? Pathfinder is for you! Like the potential lost because TSR-WoTC can't liscence Lovecraft's work? Pathfinder is for you!

Like horribly inaccurate statted shoggoths? Pathfinder is for you my friend!

Like a evil oppressive shadow government that keeps the secrets of the universe to itself and often makes people dissapear whom discover this whilst presenting this idea that they're the good guys as they're ruled by wealthy ((merchants)) spellcasters, and whatever else, who are in charge of the main iconic character meetup area that is in no way, a total crime infested violent shithole? Pathfinder is for you! Want to run those old Sci-fi Western 50's era settings like Conan, Red Sonja, Tarzan and that guy who went to mars? Pathfinder is for you! It's part of the same universe even! Why stop there? Fight Rasptuion, master of benevolent communism and magic at behedst of his mother that is Baba yaga.

Want Vampires that are actually Undead Junkies? Pathfinder is for you! Of course, you can just use it to make your own setting, nothing stops you from that user!

75% of the writers for PF are abominable aberrations/Extraplanar Gender-bandit Outsiders with the evil subtype

Oh right! And for some reason PF is full of weebs, which is amazing, because I guess when you add moe' you don't need to write stuff like adventures in the east, which gives you the "trying to be eastern but it's clearly done in the west" out of depth feel you kind of get if you read a marvel X-men Comic when Psycloke came up, or Wolverine goes to Nippon and some-such, there's just a feeling for it in this context, you know?

Thing is i live in a rural area and only have a small group to play with and I'm the only dm

>As a newbie dungeon master
Go with 5e.

As someone who hates 5e and loves Pathfinder, 5e is vastly more friendly to new players and GMs because it is very simple.

Oh, and there's a crossdressing Psychic halfling slave which you'd mistake for a girl before you see the androgynous sideburns, and a really gay 2edgdy4u elf.

Also, a Goddess that is one big phat preggo-monstergirl religious sacrilege fetish Baphomet girl fapbait thing.

Can I make a catgirl character in PF, I need to know so I can make a moe waifu catgirl for a game my friend is running.

You can have fun with any game, but some systems get in the way.

Pathfinder has some more options, but the mechanics are kind of a mess compared to 5e. I would strongly recommend 5e for newbies, it's much less of a pain in the ass to learn. I would also recommend 5e for veterans, due to better balance, less precipitous level scaling, and more elegant base mechanics. But there's no accounting for taste.

> I've started playing roleplaying games last year and I started on 5e but looking at people's comments people talk a lot of shit about 5e and hype pathfinder and 3.5 up.
You've been memed upon. 3.PF is shit, while 5e is universally regarded as a well-made (but not perfect) system.

This guy here, just read
And forgot to mention:
In either case, NEVER use any official non-cunch material. Don't use adventure paths, don't use their settings, avoid using their bestiaries if you can.

As someone who mostly plays PF.

Stick with 5e. The only reason I'm still playing this system is that I've spent years mastering every inch of it and its murky, spunky, depths.

Congrats OP your thread is now bait
Hope you got the advice you wanted in the first 10 posts

The problem with Pathfinder (and arguably 3.5 as well) is that it's incredibly convoluted. There's so many different factors that can effect a decision/ action that learning how to get into it with little to no experience is a Herculean effort. That being said, when you do finally figure out some of the minutiae and talk with your group about home brew/ house rules (a lot of people will recommend elephant in the playground) you can start to do crazy stuff through customization and optimization that you can't really achieve without a DM fiat in other additions.

TLDR: If you can wade through the bullshit you'll have fun

>you can start to do crazy stuff through customization and optimization that you can't really achieve without a DM fiat in other additions.

Yeah, I prefer DM fiat. "Hey DM, I wanna play one of those jumping dragoons from Final Fantasy" seems like a smoother and more balanced process than "Hey DM, I combined 13 prestige classes from 8 books to make a mechanically overpowered dragoon from Final Fantasy!"

Although I understand how playing around and finding weird combinations of complex rules can be fun, for actual play I think houseruling is better.

Could someone post PF's available classes?

Just go to the PFSRD
Literally google pathfinder classes and don't click on the paizo link

Nvm here d20pfsrd.com/classes/

Occult classes are in a different part of the site because reasons d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/occult-classes/

>Hey DM, I wanna play one of those jumping dragoons from Final Fantasy
The problem with this is that most GMs have no clue about balance, and will allow or deny stuff with no actual forethought.

I am constantly hearing about Pathfinder's "customization" when there are systems that can do that better, especially Mutants and Masterminds 3e or Fantasy Craft.

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279503-D-amp-D-in-M-amp-M-a-new-approach-to-rebalancing-3-5-PF

Not even saying either of those systems are perfect (although I do really like MnM 3e personally), but they are what I'd consider much better options than acquiring Stockholm Syndrome for shitty games.

Both games are pretty shit overall. Little has changed in the past 10 years with the top RPGs in the market. Shits stale, broken and full of clutter.

Run whatever you are comfortable with, but be mindful of other options and don't discount them.

If we are suggesting other systems the. Just sell all your books and invest in the finality that is GURPs.

Don't, GURPS is pure, unfiltered autism.

GURPS isn't autism, but it requires autism to GM and game of GURPS.

How do I free Rovagug?

More like

"Just play Legend"

"Well then I wish Legend actually had a thriving community and was finished and had a Monster Manual equivalent."