Did you ever cheat in a session?

Did you ever cheat in a session?

One time. My friend noticed and called me out on it right away.

I felt like an asshole. I didn't even have a good reason to cheat. It wasn't like it was a life-or-death situation. I just felt like lying, got caught right away, and never felt the urge to do it again.

Yes, but not often. When i need a good roll on a d50 and get a number below 20 i add another 10 when it's time to do the math. My GM likes to kill characters and throw on us enemys that can one-shot the squishies 3 times with a single hit
I'm not ashamed, and probably other plays do the same

I've only cheated to fail when my rolls seemed too good to believe.

Yes, cause my DM was a retard and didn't care about how difficult a dice check should be and what we rolled. If he wanted us to succeed we did. If he wanted us to fail we did.

So I started suddenly rolling a bunch of 17s, 18s and 19s (with skill ratings above 15) just to prove that I should have beaten his retarded fucking dice checks. Nope, didn't work. But the teacher's pet could roll a 7 with a skill of 2 and beat fucking anything.

Once.

Long story short, the rest of the party beat the crap out of me and were ready to carry me around hogtied when the session end. Once gameday comes around again, everyone had forgotten what happened. Even the GM. Then I told them that we were still fighting.

I removed all my damage on the fly and kept on while the rest still where at the point of being badly battered. Unsurprisingly, I decimated them and "showed mercy" by not tying them to the bag of our carriage.

Best part is that nobody ever found out about it and if they do, it's now too late.

How da fuuuuuuuuuuu-

They never remembered?
HOW?

Simple:
The players were more focused on doing random shit and throwing dice around than paying attention to what was happening and the GM thought he could pull off an 11 person game without something going wrong.

I can't cheat because I'm the GM.

Occasionally, I feign ignorance for a premature dice when they aren't looking. It helps that often I roll dice as a distraction.

I mean you can always forge rolls

As a GM yes.

I cheat like a motherfucker as a GM as long as it advances the plot and doesn't screw my players over out of the blue.
You're a destined hero on a quest to save the world from being devoured by the Errant Star, I can't have you dying to a small goblin holding a stick when you're level 3.

On the subject of cheating in games, I've begun to believe that several of the players in my group are cheating. Ran some quick numbers and two players in particular have some highly unlikely averages. They are the kind of people who wold get rather woke up if I confronted them whether or not they really were cheating and unforunatly I can't just kick them because I have to live with them irl. Any suggestions?

Worked up

I routinely ignore the little "taxes" here and there. 1 gp for the town toll, 2sp to cross the bridge, 3sp for info, 6sp for a room at the inn, etc. etc.

I don't take the -1 ACP from my armor when I make stealth checks.

I once accidentally forgot to account for being flat footed in a roll once.

In-between sessions I reset my daily spell slots. I do this every session and nobody notices.

Let it slide or give the non-suspected cheaters good loot to balance them and increase encounter difficulty accordingly. Items that work best for them and not other players would be best if you can manage.

If the suspected cheaters complain about not getting as good loot just tell them it's to balance the team out, which would be the truth. Of course, don't go overboard and give some players junk and the others legendary game changers.

I always fudge my stats if we're rolling for them.

I spent 27 points on my character's stat line in a 25 point buy game.

>Be Co-DM so that I can help teach someone else to DM
>Constantly fudge rolls to see if he notices anything.
>Never noticed, or never had the balls to call it out.
>Wouldn't actually read the manuals
>players start coming to me for questions he can't or won't answer
>Still doesn't read the manuals, or in the case of D&D, edition swaps monsters or rules to be convenient as he has not finished reading the book

I am glad I stopped helping.

Yes. I don't even regret it.

The DM was... Not the best. He shoved his Gary Stu ultra powerful self-insert that also happens to be a conceptual being that can asspull anything he wants. This being also has only one weakness, and that's his Mary Sue waifu that he had. If anything happened to her, his "weakness" kicked in and caused him to become even more powerful. Needless to say, he was the main character.

This happened in every campaign he DM'd. His two characters would have alternate universe versions of themselves and be the biggest parts of the campaign.

The stories of all his campaigns were all the level of a 13 year old's fan-fiction. If anything went against the literal notebooks that he wrote of his oh so precious characters' adventures, he'd do everything in his power to force things back onto the one-way railroad tracks.

I felt no guilt whenever he'd pull out things such as pulling out multiple enemies that were made to be either unbeatable or just really, really difficult by having ridiculously high bonuses.

In one campaign, he pulled out a mob of enemies with insane amounts of damage and health just to force us back into some stupid near fetish-fueled scenario, yet with my friend's decent rolls and a bit of cheating here and there I manage to escape the battle while the rest of the party is captured and nearly killed. It's the first and only time I've retreated from a fight on my own accord.

I've cheated a lot more when they were a DM because of the amount of bullshit they had in their campaign, but I've never cheated while playing with a different DM.

As the DM, what I do isn't cheating, it's course correction.

My DM and the other players get mad when I bring up rules. So I just stopped doing that and now our team does significantly more damage.

What a fucking cuck.

You're not calling out a cheater because it'd be a bother to the cheater?

Man up and kick them out of your group.

As a player it happened that I forgot to keep count of the arrows I was using to then set a number based about my memory without telling anybody. Also I guess that metagaming is also cheating, and of course, I do my best to try to avoid that even when it becomes bad For my character, I just feel stupid to cheat in a RPG without stakes on it. One time my master forgot a mob and I was the one to remind him about it. My character and another one died that session, another one cowardly fleed.
Speaking of metagaming I really hate when players do really bastardly moves but so subdle that I cannot tell then anything. For example today we had a werewolf game, one player contacted me telling me that it would be better to check one thing in the spiritual world asap, I agree, and I seek the help of one party member because he was near and also because he is kind of a shaman. I try to convince him politely to do this with me, even do he wanted to go get drunk without any fucking reason. We argue, I just said that it will not take Long and then he would be free, but no, he must do its useless task first, so we decided to go into a pub For one hour first then to get to work immediately after, he strangely agrees. As we enter, he contacts His friendly alcohol spirits to try to make me drunk, I follow the play and I drink a super strong beer, I miracolously resist, so I want to see what the fuck is happening, so I test him because I have the power to see which words are true or false. The fucker with a drunk as fuck char without even knowing that I had this power uses conveniently vague phrases that wouldn't trigger my power, likely he made a mistake so the master made me notice His ploy, but I still need to make him pay as the chief of the pack. And the master was kind of pissed too because we had a Long "useless" scene, but he didn't notice that the scene was Long because the fucker was being evasive all the time and I had to corner him like a fucking attorney.

I'm at college and my group plays with me over skype. My GM trusts me to not lie on my rolls becuase I'm a DM here too. Sometimes I lie that I crit when I'm bored with combat.

I sympathize with that.

I'd sometimes cheat on my PBPs.
The site lets you 'preview' your rolls. Useful feature, lets you know when to add a crit-confirm roll. But it also lets you shuffle your rolls around. I get a 20 and 1? Well then now that 20 is my perception check and that 1 is my perform: dance check to boogie my way across the alley.

I had a gm about fifteen years ago who really had it in for me. Neither I nor someone else in the game I knew could figure out why, though I expect it was mostly that I did not conform to his political beliefs that were growing increasingly radical in a college atmosphere. If there was ever a sniper, it was targeting my character. If I found a friendly npc, he was sure to be evil and waiting to screw me over. It grew progressively worse and worse, despite my attempts to find out what was up.

I stuck it out for a while just to kill time and to see whether I could make him blatantly kill me off instead of just going "sorry that's how the dice rolled." It was a d100 system and I would just ensure the biggest number was the tens dice by quickly picking them up or saying "that color is my tens dice of course." He never caught on, even though he suspected I was cheating, and actually brought someone new into the game explicitly to try and catch me out on it (he openly plotted this in front of someone else I knew who ratted him out).

In the end, he had me assassinated by Gandalf (it was a Middle Earth setting). I promptly left at that point and there was only one additional session with the rest of the group before the game completely collapsed. Mostly because 2/4 of the remaining players were highly distractable, another left after I was no longer there to be removed since he was just in it for the temporary plot of killing my character, and the last one could not keep the party motivated on his lonesome. Mission accomplished.

Minorly.

Rolling shit all night. Third bitch if the evening, I lie and say it was a 7. Still a fail, but not a botch.

I'm sure they would have understood