Shit Character General

We talk about shit characters and how to make good ones.

>character's only motivation is money
>character is chaotic neutral
>character is a [insert meme animal here]-human hybrid
>character has a revenge backstory
>character is a lone wolf
>"rent isn't gonna pay itself"

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Tale_of_an_Industrious_Rogue,_Part_I
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Character is a 1.4 cm tall human
>Player insults you for being an American when you say that you don't think this is a normal human height.

>First session
>"There is no reason my character would join the party"
Then why did you create such a character?

Nothing wrong with revenge backstories if they're done well. Sure, a character is probably gonna be shit if their story is: "[important person] was murdered and I am going to get vengeance on the killer, raaah". But you can make them cooler and more fun than that. I'm currently running a gunslinger who's out to get vengeance on a devil who tricked him. He has an obsession with knowledge and technology, and took a bad deal with a devil to learn the secrets of gunsmithing. He got screwed by the devil, and lost an arm and his afterlife. Now he's after the devil to settle things. Not an edgy character in the slightest, the way I play him. Just a man who loves books that made a really bad decision and has to pay for it.

This one can also be interesting if you expand on it. Just leaving it THAT way, it's shit. But if you make it into something a bit bigger, you can really run with it. A character who is a pawn in a bigger game can often be interesting if they resent the game they're stuck in, but have yet to find a way to break out. i.e. a man who goes off to war to protect what he loves, because nobody else will do it if he doesn't.

>"Rent isn't gonna pay itself"

I found Garrett to be a nice character. Except nu-Garrett. Fuck that game.

>Character is morally gray
Extra shit if the character is an inherently evil class like a Warlock.

Sounds like that character is...

C O M P A C T

>is rogue
>Character is motivated by lust for magic items, has amassed large amounts of gold, and frequently steals from party
> is chaotic neutral
> is half-orc
> character has a decent backstory. Simply left his village and learned how to be a thief
> jointly owns a castle, so no rent.
> after a year in-game with the party, he has friends that he wants to help.
>loves the thrill of the chase, and the prizes gained from it.

He worked great as a single character the player themselves could latch on to, but actually having a drink with him would be awkward and expensive. Although maybe the character would be fun in a group I've never seen anyone understand what made Garrett great. The loner brooding thief character isn't instantly shit but it's hard to get right.

>inherently a bad thing
Someone didn't read the Tale of Industrious Rogue: 1d4chan.org/wiki/Tale_of_an_Industrious_Rogue,_Part_I

>inherently evil class like a warlock

I play a lawful evil warlock. But what about the fey patron, wouldn't that be good?

I found him interesting because he was business first, never got emotionally attached to jobs or most clients, but enjoyed himself while doing his job.

I think what players get wrong is the enjoyment factor being expressed through the character, and playing the "loner thief" less of a "angsty, no one understands me" character, and more of a "it's obviously better for me to do this by myself and not expect rookies to sneak about without having the equipment or experience" kinda thief. Course, that's my own opinion.

Would you let a player who had this character in your group, Veeky Forums?

Short Charecter General*

Probably nah

What makes a good motivation for a bog standard D&D game? Considering PCs in games like this have no real home, little to no stability in life, are risking death or worse 90+% of the time, and will likely be killing sapient beings on a daily basis, the only options you have as far as motivations are concerned seem to be a) fighting for a higher cause that justifies everything else or b) being an edgelord. Is there anything else? What could possibly drive a person to become a PC?

>Fey
>Good

lolno

When this is his character image.

Think about the risk versus the reward. Even with all the negatives, you mention. There is also the chance of having unimaginable wealth, enough to make a stable home. There is also the chance of having adventurers forced into the lifestyle. Maybe there's an old debt they have to pay. My DM literally put a geas on over half the party to get us to go on a single adventure.

>I'm a shapeshifter druid, I'm gonna stay in animal form all day long, demand scratchies and growl at people I think are bad or unfriendly. Yay plot contribution!
>Elf waifu, but adopted by savage race that hates elves. Let's compulsively pick petty fights with all the orcs to prove I'm the most tryhard.
>Gnome that constantly builds "wacky" gadgets out of an old plank, a rusty nail and a band-aid. Beep boop scanning you with my scanner that also makes cheeseburgers lol.

>character is initially a joe-schmo
>has unique likes/dislikes, interests, hobbies, fears, hopes, and dreams that make him/her more human
>slowly blossoms into an interesting character by giving bits of aforementioned traits to the players and DM throughout the game

Literally the best character you can make.

Literally the best character you can make

Fey are generally Chaotic

True, but I see a lot of good warlocks take that path.

No. 2 Pencil must face justice for his crimes in the ring

Well, let me complain about someone in my group.

>characters are always just a human fighter/ranger/bard (before I get shit, alone, this isn't necessarily a bad thing)
>hardly ever has a backstory, is mostly just defined by whatever class he's doing
>practically no personality
>hardly reacts to anything in the campaign outside of saying "oh", "wow", and "great"
>never takes initiative with anything

He just plays the most bland characters with no real drive or reason to be there. It's like he just follows the party along without really engaging with the campaign or caring about anything that's going on except when it's time for combat.

I'm starting to get the feeling he just doesn't like RPGs anymore, since he played some fun characters in the past, but now he just plays these... I don't even want to say "generic" characters, because even a generic character could be more engaged than he is.

Perhaps he should take a break. Helped me clear my head and avoid getting really bored with a game I was in. Joined back a week later, felt better.

Guy makes a barbarian who rapes then eats people,monsters and sometimes inanimate objects. Everyone makes lolrandum characters too so its not that bad. When making characters for a 2nd campaign set in the same world i ask if he could tone it down the character he makes is the brother of the first one who still eats people "but he doesn't rape them so its fine"

>make a paladin and hope to have a fun time
>realise everyone else made ce wizards rouges and barbarians
>Cry inside

>Join game
>Create fully fleshed out character with a few paragraphs
>Other players have nothing, one has half a sentence other has a small paragraph
>all have anime character art

Why is this hobby so full of shitters?

>character misses a shot
>he has to try another

If we're talking online game there's only so much wasted effort one can take before you stop making the effort in order not to waste it.

I just like fighting strong things.

"I'M A SHITTY CHARACTER??? I'M A SHITTY CHARACTER!!! GNAAAAAAAAAHHHHK"

Gnomes are a meme race and I do not allow them in any game I run, Dont allow goblins either Alot of my players are wow fags

Wowfags truly are a blight upon fantasy. All Gnomes and all Goblins must be high tech cooky gadget makers.

Not an actually bad player, or character even, but I actually once played with a guy who was a Cassowary-Human hybrid

And he was a fucking brutal cunt

Any stories?

>Character is made entirely of glue and played for the Boston Celtics
ugh.

I've been seeing a lot of hate twards gnomes on this board. Whats wrong with them,

Can't remember where he got the race even from, but he ended up getting a pair of third party boots called "Boots of the Raptor."

The gimmick was it transformed your legs into gigantic fucking Utahraptor feet that could fuck shit up, run at incredibly high speeds, all that shit. Normally, this dude was literally just a really hairy (feathery) guy with a big fucking bill sticking out of his head and a propensity for gratuitous violence, but the second he got those boots, he went from just a greatsword singing, murder-squawking badass into a literal fucking deathbird who ran around the place goring people on his huge fuck-off claws. All while squawking maniacally (Not IRL, thank God) and everyone else losing their shit because of the mental image a half-human half-cassowary motherfucker ripping people to shreds with his giant bird feet.

What are some games where I can drink champagne?

>A deformed bat man ostracized by society

If he can pull it off then yes

He's a big guy

A big guy sounds like he'd make a good barbarian

See

Yeah, it's online. The GM is really good, puts in all effort and these fucks don't care. It's infuriating. One guy can't even format and punctuate his retarded name correctly, or capitalize.

Would Veeky Forums let a player be a paladin menacing paladin but under her armor she's kawaii desu

>let you players play a menacing paladin

I just made two simply grammar errors I'll see myself out

hhhahhh the french champagne hassaalwaysbenselebratedforidsexcelens

>a paladin menacing paladin
No paladin-on-paladin menacing in my campaigns.

The thought of this amuses me greatly.

>character has seen it all and responds to every threat or appearance of a horrible gribbly beast with bad quips
>at level 2

Thanks, marvel.

>Player reveals at the final battle that he was the Time Serpent
Fucking That Guy

>Player character is hallucinating / barking mad and sees other player characters as enemies
>Somehow becomes the hardest fight of the campaign

>fey
>good

God no.

I mean, I somewhat did this.
Except she was a dainty kitsune princess under the armor of an intimidating dark knight, rather than a paladin. Never took of her armor unless she was alone, so she kept it a secret until the party reached her home kingdom.

>Well hellllllooooooo sailor
>I thought the whole point was to rescue the damsel in distres, not have her rescue you
>It's ok, I'll forgive you this time *wink*

I could dig it

Sassy tomboy going out of her way to rescue cute hero types and relentlessly teasing them for having to be rescued by the girl they thought they were saving.

Bonus points if she ends up getting saved at some point and gets really pouty over it

Triple if that's what she's using to gauge her dream guy by

I didn't know how much I wanted this in my life until now.

>shit character

Hey don't knock it out of hand

The Vumps versus the Serpents when?

This says "I can create a character thematically appropriate and suitable but I am too lazy so I went with mercenary so I don't have to do anything."

is that a bear trap on his elbow?

All right, while its gotten old as a trope I feel the need to point out a few things.

First off, gnomes as reckless tinkers goes back before WoW. I think dragonlance was the first, but for all I know they ripped it off somewhere else too.

Second, while its gotten old, its gotten old because a reckless tinker with a desire for scientific advancement and no understanding of consequences is still a much better racial identity than what they are usually described as being. Which is Dwarves. But shittier. And smaller.

And why does it appear to prevent them from straightening their arm?

Why are you making a fully fleshed out character?

You're level one, fucker. Give your character some space to develop.

people who think this makes them good at roleplaying baka

I don't know what's up with all the Jermaposting between /k/ and Veeky Forums but I approve.

Didn't Jerma and Ster get involved in some DnD campaign a while back?

Seems like a "just for fun" thing, though I reckon jeremy would probably be really entertaining to watch RP.

It depends on the game. For something like Shadowrun, just needing to pay the bills/pay off the mob so they don't break your legs is a perfectly valid reason to be in the party. Hell, I'm currently playing a character whose main motivation is pic related and it's going pretty great.

I started a campaign for some friends and one of my players did this. They all made their characters on the same day, in the same room, and were discussing group dynamics with each other.

>Jerma RPing as literally any character

He'd be really serious for the most part, then devolve into a senseless goofball.

I'd love to see it.

Jerma poster need to get off this board

I know that feel.
9/10 times I'm the party straight man and moral compass

I've played the most lawful good warlock you've ever seen. GOOlock where the patron is a lot more like a biblical angel or something than Cthulhu. It inherently wants to do good, but it's made of geometry and star fire and looks fucking terrifying, so it has a fleshy mortal be it's avatar among the people.

You need to get off this board. Jerma is a national treasure and he's not even from my nation.

My god. It's a god damn gaggle of Jermies.

I prefer Jermaniac.

>character is chaotic neutral
>character is a lone wolf

i didn't have any idea who he was but "royal rumble full of slapdash create-a-wrestlers" fits this OP's post at least.

Garret was cool because he took the special snowflake trained by monastic assassins secret ninja back story and turned it on its head by saying "nah fuck that, I just wanna get paid m8" and proceeding to use his abilities for petty crime and generally behaving in a snarky, jaded, but realistic fashion.

It was the 90s.

My favorite gnome depiction was the gnome from the 4e teaser/preview animated shorts

'Do you have a lair? I have a lair!'

>1.4 cm
Did you mean 140cm or are you talking about someone less than 2/3 of an inch tall?

>Character has to be a complex and unqiue snowflake with daddy issues
Fuck off. Often simple characters, as there are simple people, are the more fun ones.

LISTEN TO ME SON

I bet you also prefer your shit taste.
sterlife4life

Nothing wrong with that just starting out.
It might even end up evolving into something more like with the aforementioned Kaiki whose purely money-based motivation actually turns out to be surprisingly deep.

Arborea, where elves and fey are from, is CG plane

There is nothing wrong with revenge backstories.

My character is gonna be gortrek! All he'll do is grunt at people and fight.

How do I incite my players to create characters that have relevant traits? I wanna try GMing soon, but so far, Ive been the most invested in making a character act like someone other than just "myself in a possible future".

Something I found is don't let them look at the handbook before they come up with a character concept. That way they have to design a character that is more than just class+race.

By all means tell them about the setting, but keep stumm about the rules themselves.

GRIIIIIIIIIFFFFIIIIIIIITHHHHH

About that, I dont have a rulebook yet. I want to run a Vampire Hunter D-themed campaign, but I cant find an appropriate system (magic and tech junction, but with a post apocaliptic tone); do you happen to know any?
Our group usually plays Cthulhu Mythos, and I want to preserve some aspects of it (though toned down for the sake of story continuity), namely that fighting is actually dangerous and insanity is a thing.

I don't know of any, but I guess you could take a cthulu system and refluff it if you really had to

Well, he is improving even if slowly. Give him time.

>mfw i did the same but with catgirl fighter (in D&D terms)
We all are degenerates here, aren't we.

She actually kept silent through most of the campaign, communicating solely through gestures and clanking.

I would have kept the secret too, if only she wouldn't have needed healing after getting trampled by 15 m tall golem.

I had a hemophobic goblin rogue that used traps and non lethal damage, and smooth talked his way through most things. he was a bounty hunter before the campaign ad his Backstory. the party I was with at the time loved him so much that we've actually started a comic based on him and another few characters.

anything can be great if interesting enough, but generic or unflattering ideas will readily fall flat.

Sounds like you're playing a cleric but working with an Old testament style deity.

Lawful neutral full Old Testament paladins/clerics/warlocks are a best.