What's your favourite prank a game company has ever pulled on it's customers?

What's your favourite prank a game company has ever pulled on it's customers?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/TrickMTG/status/846850855626145792
wizards.com/dci/downloads/MTG_MTR_1Jul09_EN.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what game is this?

Looks like Yugi-o or Pokemon.

Magic, looks like a mock up joke of the next set.

You can tell it's Yu-gi-oh! from its Egyptian themes.

They're real
They are the new lottery cards in We Wuz Kangs

They would look fine if the art wasn't the normal low-contrast CGI shit they've been doing recently. If they looked like Ancient Mew they'd be dope

are you fucking kidding me...

They look absolute dogshit

I would've preferred if they straight up just made it unreadable

MTG subreddit is in full damage control. It's hilarious.

These would be infinitely better if they just took away the nonsense hieroglyphs that are next to the name and types.

Even they hate these

Art

lol@how all this detail is lost on the card.

God fucking damn it that art is actually decent but fuck if I'm ever gonna want the card its attached to. That text is horrendous and the border is not doing anything any favors.

Fucking ass. All of them. I ain't running no moon runes shit in my deck. God I had such hope.

Look on the bright side everyone. We found where WotC was hiding all the answer cards!

why arn't they masterpieces even full art, was the shitty egyptian boarder that important.

Sun.
Sun runes.

This is not okay.
I liked the Inventions and even the Expeditions a bit but this is too much and it looks illegible and shitty.

Much better thanks.

You know if they still had the black border I would be okay with these ugly abortions, but without them they just look bad.

>2 minutes in paint

The mana symbols are fine but it would look so much better without the random hieroglyphs.

Some current thread titles

>Is it just me, or are they starting to actually look great!?
>I like the invocation border.
>A compliment to the border.
>[PSA] Remember that the Invocations will look alot better in person than an image
>Let's be real - the only problem with the Masterpieces is the font of the name/typeline.

Comments are full on damage control. Not suprising seeing as mtg is a shill sub by Wizards.

I like them.

being able to read the text would be nice

Go home, Mark!

>Let's be real - the only problem with the Masterpieces is the font of the name/typeline

Which is literally one of the most important things on a card.
Wizards fucked up a lot on these masterpieces.

I guess I'm glad they're using these masterpiece frames to experiment. Even if so far they've all looked like hot garbage.

Maybe they'll make a good one eventually.

Add colored mana symbols like and you are golden

Wait I think I found the reason for all the Sun Runes. They tried to center justify the name and types but didn't want blankspace in those fields.
Can we get an edit with them center justified on the card?

twitter.com/TrickMTG/status/846850855626145792

Well, they look better with the foiling. The font is still horrendously annoying, though.

It actually looks decent'ish like that.

But yeah, that horrible font.

Here, have a normie meme.

I find these cards neat - just this terrible font

I think there have been some hieroglyphic-styled yugioh promos too

The real one actually looks nice. I hope i get one on prerelease.

The art is pretty good on many of these but the colors are faded and also that fucking card frame and font
Didn't they give out that Mew card at the screening of the first Pokemon movie? I think I had one.

The gods.

>these will be in the godawful masterpiece foiling
>their barely legible names
>Seriously, the only way I know what card it is, is by the text
>no color difference in the mana cost
>bright shiny gold clashes with the normal black borders you'll use
>the borders are fucking ugly in general
>the unnecessary characters in the name and title field
>the centered text that forces the eyes to constantly readjust
>Laven Mindcensori
>Lcreature- BirdWizarbi
>that godawful p/t box that's vertical for no legitimately good reason, when MTG cards are pretty much left to right, so when you finish reading what a creature does, you just look down, and it keeps the left to right flow

These are legitimate eyesores, and people will hate these pieces of shit. I sincerely hope that whoever designed these abominations is fired and forced to take up another occupation, because they have CLEARLY failed. And this is coming from a guy that LIKES the M-15+ card format.

I like everything but the random hieroglyphics on the name.

The foiling is cool but the card still looks awful.

I have bad eyesight and can't read any of this

You don't need to. You're not likely to get one anyway. :^)

You might not be able to read them, but others can and you need to be considerate of others ;^)

whatever you want boss

>Hasbro Exec: MaRo, we need creatures and walkers to start dying or our attendance numbers will keep dwindling.
>MaRo: I've got it boss!

How much do you think Hasbro pays these shits?

This is perfect.

>No rebecca guay art
It's shit

I am hype. Fuck reddit and their stupid hivemind.

Maybe I'll be able to get them for cheap if the backlash sticks, but that means WOTC won't do anything this different ever again and that sucks.

HOLY SHIT. FORCE OF WILL.

Seems too real.
MaRo is such a sweet boy :3

Please stop perpetuating the myth that everyone has to drink WotC's diarrhea strait from the anus if they ever want to see nice things in the future. They fucked up here.

Yeah, I worry those spineless marketing execs will see one failure and pull the plug on this line, I like that they bothered to experiment, and am totally okay that they failed. It's because they experimented that I want to see more of this line alive.

Too bad WotC:aHS will cut it as soon as anything goes wrong because they have the worst business practices ever.

FORCE OF WILLI
WILLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Fuck you. If you guys had your way, we'd still have art and borders like this.

Making the special unique lottery card special and unique is a good thing.

We're never going back to Kamigawa and we're never getting fancy borders again

>that shit instead of terese nielsen negrette beauty
>in the plane of WE WUZ KANGZ N SHEIT

But I like those borders.

Fucking this. Haters proceed to hate though - remember that Masterpiece series will be with us forever and over the years there'll be masterpiece sets you love and others you hate.

It's a good that these are a hit with some people and a total bomb with others.

What does Hasbro pay you to astroturf this site? You can't seriously think those look good, the text is fucking illegible.

Those fucktards have to change their tournament rules because under the current rules, invocations aren't legal:

wizards.com/dci/downloads/MTG_MTR_1Jul09_EN.pdf

> 3.3 Authorized Card
> Players may use any cards from special sets, supplements, and promotional printings that, unaltered, meet the following conditions:
> The card has black or white borders

why can't we just get nice full-art prints with readable text
wizards
why

I don't give a shit about text when we have cards with literally no rules text on them.

Everyone I play MTG with knows every single one of these cards backwards and forwards and if they don't, you tell them its name and that's all they need.

Ok, that's rather impressive

I want Rosewater to go and stay go.

But Kaladesh Inventions had bronze borders. :^)

MISORCERY

>the people who make the rules are going to have to change the rules

doesn't seem like an issue

>mind twist
they certainly want newbies to hate playing draft

But...these don't have borders.

Still black-bordered

I like the illustration for ~IMINDTWISTI--.

It's not worse than Sol Ring.

These truly look horrible, I hope I don't pull one.

> I hope I don't pull one.
Oh, you don't have to worry about that. :^)

I like it.

I hope I pull Force of Will.
So I can sell it.

>If you guys had your way, we'd still have art and borders like this.

And?

I don't think demand will be high on that one. It looks like absolute shit.

If you want pimp, go for EMA FoWs.

you at least get to play the game with that one

>tfw 5 minutes in photoshop and other thread here on Veeky Forums an user makes an infinitely better version than the official one

>remember that Masterpiece series will be with us forever

Not if the third time they tried (second time, really, since expeditions were originally a one-off thing) it's massively unpopular.

WOTC drops unpopular things incredibly quickly unless they've been doing it for a really long time and know it's just a fluke. Look at the standard rotation for a recent example.

Not a "mtg is for casuals only GET OUT ELITISTS RRRREEEEE" type person, but it's not right to expect everyone who plays the game to know what "Worship" does forwards and backwards or, worse, what all the modes for Cryptic Command are. There has to come a point where function has to beat form, and these have passed it. Text is shit

It should match the white of the borders. It's a bit too stark how it is now.

we wuz cardboard n shiet

normally i'm hesitant to hop on the "Wizards is fucktarded" train, but holy shit
WHY ARE THEY ALL SO UGLY WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA

Masterpieces as a whole have been well recieved by the community.
But, everywhere I look, people HATE this framing.
Hopefully WotC will understand that varying the formatting and font a tiny bit (the prior 2 masterpiece series, the future sight cards) is alright, but this is jumping the shark so high you go over the moon.

>DLAVEN MINCENSOR!
>KREATURE-BIRDWIZARD!
>?NOT(whale)!WRATH OF GOD!
>TNO?SMISORCERYITM
>MINDTWIST!
>NOTLM?ORISORCERYITO

>NOT!FORCE OF WILL!
>VOT?LMIINSTANTI

Yes, killing the flavor and removing the egypt from the egypt themed masterpiece. Ingenious.

Of all fixes here, that's the worst.

There is small black bars in the sideways of the card. They could say it is enough to consider it black border.

Looks terrible.

I wonder why they thought it was okay to fuck up the names and the typelines so badly.

Actually yes these cards are not legal IF you don't play with sleeves, which everyone does nowadays.
I actually like it and hope they abolish the borders eventually (or at least reduce it) on all cards.

Because that's why they made the card? Removing hieroglyphs means it could be from anywhere.

expeditions still best masterpieces
>Wizards' faces when they see all the hate for the new masterpieces
>their face when they realize they have to release more in HoD and can't change them