Dark angels thread

Why does Veeky Forums hate them?

I certainly don't hate them. In fact, I prefer them, my brother.

Because GW can't model the cloth parts for shit.

I'm not a big fan of the cloth aspect of their look, but their helmets, tech and chapter structure is bad ass

That said
Fallen Angels > Dork Angels

Because they are lame, "ooh we have a secret"
Wow your secret is half of your legion went traitor? Big whoop.

I was under the impression DAs were one of the more popular chapters/legions. Or at the very least, one of the least disliked. Veeky Forums seems like it loves Imperial Fists and Salamanders the most, but a good chunk of people like the DAs. Nowhere near the massive skubfest that is the Space Wolves.

The veterans look like shit, they do better nowadays
There's a lot more to it that just that. Saying that's an oversimplification is an understatement.

because they're not ULTRA cool

>Wow your secret is half of your legion went traitor?
>half

Last I checked they didn't. Personally I think their whole robes over power armor schtick is badass and really sets them apart aesthetically from the other chapters. You see one of their minis and you know from a glance it's a DAngel. Their autism in keeping the Fallen a secret is a little annoying at times though, and honestly not even a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Every legion had issues with traitors and conflicting loyalties during the Heresy.

How do those assholes not look like CSMs to you guys? Just look at that armour trim. They're not the only DAs that look like that either.

>Their autism in keeping the Fallen a secret

Honestly one of their bigger appeals to me. The DAs are nice half-way point between "vanilla" chapters like the Ultras and "gimmick" chapters like the Scars or Wolves. They have a discernible personality, and the fact they so zealously pursue this redemption and/or damage control quest instead of focusing on actually important things is a cool flaw.

Well, when it's one Marine here or there, you can probably chalk it up to individual failings. When it's half a Legion, you're going to start suspecting that their gene-seed is irrevocably tainted.

>The veterans look like shit, they do better nowadays
True. You have to remember that the Company Vets box is now 10 years old, from around the time that they were only just starting to dabble with CAD sculpting.

actually 30,000 marines went traitor and the legion probably numbered well over 150,000. So it is more like less than 1/6 of their legion.

Literally best faction fluff wise. Gameplay they are above average, some cool shit, models are pretty generic, nothing unique really. I do like the angel wings on their chapter masters though.

Is that 150K figure pre- or post-Rangdan Xenocides though? They were whittled down quite a bit there.

150k post and then they recovered

the Dark Autists could only be worse if armed with katanas

or maybe lightsabers with laser crossguards

With the exception of the obvious Chaos symbol on the backpack, that's not too far from quite a few official depictions of "loyal" DAs, aesthetic-wise. And he wouldn't look out-of-place in a 3rd edition Black Legion army either.

And people wonder why DAs get called closet CSMs?

>the Dark Autists could only be worse if armed with katanas
*teleports behind snooping inquisitor*
Nothing personnel... kid.

>nothing personnel
>personnel

just a tip of the old power fedora eh

>implying DA aren't a gimmick chapter

I'm just generalizing them. I'm not a fan they have been annoying for a long time.

>The veterans look like shit
this
if I want to get robes as a dark angels player, I pretty much have to go 3rd party otherwise I'm stuck with terrible monopose bodies with torsos stuck to the legs
>update dark angels and make them the posterboys of 7th ed
>don't update their most widely available robed units

Newfags need to lurk more

I like them.

I just like referencing that they're closet traitors, too. Reason being that I think it makes them more interesting, and it triggers the more sensitive of the Dark Angels fans, which I think is funny.

If ending in 9s this thread is now claimed by Tzeentch, changer of threads.

whats their gimmick then?

Awwww yiss

>it triggers the more sensitive of the Dark Angels fans, which I think is funny.
Yeah, it's pretty obvious that the DAs are just loyalists who get up to some shady stuff, but it's so easy to fuck with their more defensive fans.

The misspelling is part of the meme, dude.

I know Veeky Forums seems to hate lion fanboys, but other than that, there doesn't seem to be a widespread hatred of DAs (and honestly Veeky Forums hates anyone who fanboys over a primarch). I know heresy era DAs were sortof mary sues, but even that wasn't as bad as it could have been.

>be 7th ed posters boys
>no supplements
>no story advancement
>be reduced to supporting character status in all campaigns and supplements
>Geedubs doesn't even bother giving you any apparrel on their new shirt shop

Being a Dark Angels player right now is suffering

I think its the whole "Last jetbike of the imperium" "best space marine bikers" when their is literally a chapter who's only special feature is "we are good with bikes" who are ignored in favor of DA, also the whole, too much shit going on thing, you could literally cut out the whole fallen plot and give it to the Raven gaurd and the Dark angels would still have more Fluff then the Iron hands ever had.

I really dont understand why dark angels are supposedly good at everything. They have "best bikers", "best terminators", "best air attack" and etc.

What about raven guard or white scars for a start? White scars get pooped on

The whole monastic schtick they have going on is kinda gimmicky.

Yeah, the claims of people hating DAs usually seem to come from butthurt fanboys who take the shit-stirrers' b8 seriously.

Part of it might be the whole "First Legion, best Legion" idea at work. It's crept up in the FW black books too, they have all the best toys and stuff because they were the original Space Marines.

But yeah, the way that the Ravenwing are given so much more attention than the White Scars is lame. At least they don't have the best Assault Marines too, so Raven Guard could theoretically corner that market if GW cared to (now that Blood Angels no longer have Assault Marines as Troops and Vanguard as Fast Attack).

Best air attack? Maybe in the fluff, but on the table our flyers suck. We definitely have the best SM bikes simply because rerollable jink combined with darkshrouds makes us tougher than Scars. Terminators in general are shitty overcosted units that never make up their points, so having the best terminators isn't really that impressive of a claim.

I think all of this is in fluff since if we are going by crunch chaos certainly wouldnt be a threat

Being the 1st legion did make DAs one of the best legions simply because they were the template legion. All the other legions were in one way or another inspired by some aspect of the DAs. Combine that with the fact that they were the 2nd largest legion and had a primarch who could outfight Russ and outdo Guilliman tactically and you have a recipe for a very successful legion. It's no wonder the Dark Angels were in 2nd place behind horus for crusade victories.