Mtg alter thread

so how would you make them look better?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/TrickMTG/status/846850855626145792
twitter.com/maro254/status/846936757463629824
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

OP's is perfect other than I'd also have them have actually colored mana symbols.

Pic related is the original unaltered one from Wizards for reference.

5000 hours in MS Paint

Jeez that art is so fantastic, how the fuck did anyone at WotC ever think these frames were a good idea. I expect them to make the game more and more like Hearthstone, I don't expect them to take a huge steaming shit on their own game and community.

I think mindtwist looks pretty good artwise.
Borders are kind of ass. It's the things that look like bandages for me.

I thought the 2 diamonds mean you have to specifically pay colorless mana. (otherwise a card like warping wail would just be (2) )

My bad, I don't play Eldrazi.

Am I the only one who thinks these would look better without the foiling?

>wotc can hire consultants to figure out how black women work for one shitty planeswalker no one uses
>but they can't hire consultants that actually know about egypt
>Not-Egypt has bits and pieces from dynasties over three thousand years

Imagine if they made an America plane where robotic George Washington leads the proud explorers Louis and Clark Kent against Steampunk Hitler who bombed the Cyberpunk dystopian San Francisco in 1909, using UFOs and the disembodied spirits of Indians. And Big Foot is a planeswalker, who has an army of confederate soldiers including one Tecumseh Sherman who is now a transgendered black woman. Fucks sake wotc

>Hire consultants to figure out how black women work
That's PROBABLY a coded admittance of them not doing any research since, you know

But user, that sounds awesome. This set won't be anywhere that badass.

This is basically the only Invocation that looks pretty gud.

This reminds me that a design that mimics Bolas's horns would look very cool.

I wish they'd went more for that ancient papyrus style instead of pillars.

Maro listen too this man.

Make this set, bill it as Native American story themed but just make it a clusterfuck.

Hell make it set in Dominaria, the place is already a shit hole make it cool at least.

I mostly don't like the border, it looks cheesy and it makes the art look small. The hieroglyphics don't really bother me because I already know what the cards do. When I heard "invocation" I was hoping we'd get something that looked more like an ancient scroll/papyrus, something closer to the old border than new. But then we got this shit, where it looks like some shitty cgi frame around an egyptian cartoon.

We yu gi oh-hearthstone now boys. Well at least being the poorfag I am I will be able to finally afford masterpieces because people are going to be giving this crap away.

A much better comparison would be the pokemon full arts, given that none of these are playable in standard.

These are just hard as shit to read.

I wish they used the same type of font as the other expeditions.

At least they'll never try this shit again.

>WOTC learns from mistakes

Holy fuck, user.

See these all play on the right ideas, I'm gonna pasta a wall I just wrote to some of my friends about why we hate these cards so much:

They're trying to be too many things at once and as such it comes off as an over designed mess.

The cgi art doesn't gel with the ancient Egypt style border.

The ancient Egypt style border of pillars and structures doesn't gel with the theme that they're trying to convey that this is Nicol Bolas's private stash of OP Invocations. It instead looks like a theatre stage through which we see the cgi action happening.

And few of the cards we've seen so far have any flavour text to give us the sort of context that the Inventions did. What are we looking at? The strongest spells used by the Gods in Amonkhet? Bolas's private library? Just a bunch of shiny dollar bills?

If they had focused all these together, make the frame Egyptian but focus the theme, fix the art to that theme with more traditional artists like Terese Nielsen and Rebecca Guay, write some flavour text to drive the theme home, then maybe, just MAYBE they'd be allowed to get away with the horrible font.

Kaladesh Inventions worked because we knew we were looking at the best inventions of an Inventor's Fair. An exhibition of the finest artificery, with beautiful filigree and careful thought. We even created Ramesh and Kumar around that idea. What is this Invocation series? If they had answered the question better at the start we wouldn't be presented with this confused mess.

This one is big enough that they kinda have to since you CANT FUCKING READ THE CARD'S NAME

I can understand not reading the card's name if it iconic as fuck like Counterspell.

But half these fucking cards are "literally whos"

what? almost every one spoiled so far has been iconic in some way. the only slightly more obscure ones are loyal retainers and aven mindcensor, but even those are pretty well known.

>And few of the cards we've seen so far have any flavour text to give us the sort of context that the Inventions did. What are we looking at? The strongest spells used by the Gods in Amonkhet? Bolas's private library? Just a bunch of shiny dollar bills?

>If they had focused all these together, make the frame Egyptian but focus the theme, fix the art to that theme with more traditional artists like Terese Nielsen and Rebecca Guay, write some flavour text to drive the theme home, then maybe, just MAYBE they'd be allowed to get away with the horrible font.

>Kaladesh Inventions worked because we knew we were looking at the best inventions of an Inventor's Fair. An exhibition of the finest artificery, with beautiful filigree and careful thought. We even created Ramesh and Kumar around that idea. What is this Invocation series? If they had answered the question better at the start we wouldn't be presented with this confused mess.

Completely agree. The kaladesh inventions were so well designed and with fun flavor texts that I can see them being treasured even by people that don't really care for money and just as a pretty well-made card.

These Amonkhet incantations don't look like something you'd want to collect.

Just got leaked, what do you guys think?

Those gods are so fucking monocolor it's killing me

>tfw almost thought Loyal Retainers was a new card/print for standard
>Almost ordered 34 € just for that standard-deck
>It was printed in 3 kingdoms and commander
Damnit

>tfw still have my copy of this card

i know wotc is shit and all but i'm going to choose to believe this is an april fools joke that leaked. i believe in you wotc, even you wouldn't make something so aesthetically awful

Can i get a quick rundown, thats fucking hysterical

Mr Crocodile has the same pose in both spells. Going to compare the pixels later

Apparently looks a lot better in person:
twitter.com/TrickMTG/status/846850855626145792

That looks way better.

I was making a racist joke about how the Negroes don't work

It still looks like a garbage fire. This has reached hilarious level of terrible design.

How about we call the Invocations "Yu-Gi-Khet" and see how long before MaRo tries to ban the term?

the reason the cards look like shit is because of no black borders

do you guys realize that with the IRL foiling the real name and type of the card is highlighted and recognizable, right?

be careful with that or WotC will forcefully hire you.

Just one copy? I've got like six. Several are still sealed.

I miss Pokémon.

>premium foil cards
>egypt setting
>could have gone with a totally sick gold with royal blue accents
>we get this shit instead
I swear to god it's 2 steps back no steps forward every time

They're apparently black bordered?
twitter.com/maro254/status/846936757463629824

MORE ART
ART IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF A CARD

i did my best to redesign the card layout

i'm not a graphic designer so idk if its any good

forgot to color in the bottom part

Jesus Christ lad that's gorgeous. Shame on WOTC

looks like ass

Best in thread, even with the moonrunes

what bothers me more than the hieroglyphics and the border is the shitty cgi art that most of them have. daze is the only one Ive liked so far. wrath of god is alright

This layout is not great but it's not that bad, I think:
* I would have put the name and the card type in a cartouche on the left with no shitty extra hieroglyphs. No silly font.
* Then between the name and the mana cost, a cartouche with the shitty hieroglyphs if you really want to put them somewhere.
* I would have kept the black border, made the art bigger and kept the bulky border only for the text. A bit like * The detail I hate the most is the vertical F/T for creatures.
* The extension symbol is shit, but I like the fact it's not of the "mythic" color.
* Some of the art is very pretty, even if it looks too computer-y for me.

The good thing is that all these cards have been massively played at some point in time (except, maybe, Worship and Consecrated Sphinx?), so if I get one in a pack, I could do some money with it I guess...

Wrath of God is actually so good at full size, but you can't see shit at card size.

This one is actually really good

Just made more space for the art. How is it?

Not even half bad lol

What do you think?

Nice

Nice

Remove the wingdings from the name and type lines (the name and type can stay centered to match the rules text), and make the mana cost colored in, and it's perfect.

>Six white cards
>TEN blue cards
>Five black cards
>Two red cards
>Z E R O green cards
Great fucking diversity you have there wizards, for a second there I thought you had gotten over your unending love of blue

(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
Looks fantastic, You must have spent a lot of time and effort on this one.

>forgetting masterpieces come in two lots, one per set
>complaining the pocket dimension of a Black/Red/Blue planeswalker is lacking Green or White
If anything the problem is that they included white cards. At least some of them are multicolor
2/10 made me reply

user, did you become retarded at some point or were you just born that way?

I know there'e two sets dummy I'm saying it's retarded they had zero green ones in this set.

If you want to argue it's Bolas favoritism then why the fuck are there six white cards.

Wait a tic who are they killing? It looks like it might be the demon that was spoiled, but the mask and size is on par with the rest of the gods.
Maybe they turned on one of the gods?

>get rid of the stupid shadow in the text box, like in op

Doesn't look like any of the mono colored gods.

Dude from my local group made this edit.

not awful

That and remove the horizontal p/t and they look okay.

wow i can read it

you mean vertical

why are they not just full art like those old reward thingys.

I think it's a marketing ploy. Those who are rich will buy them and those who can't afford them will not be sad because they're god-awful ugly.

looks good. the symbols and shit just don't make sense. just having the card name and card type makes everything much clearer