/swg/ Star Wars General

Trench Warfare edition

Previous thread: Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6
>mega.nz/#!DkNTDTyZ!PUupCOep4RmRcsgI3rNhU_Pk_xcyFbYWnhrq8gwrVv0

Shipfag's Starship Combat Fixes for EotE/AoR/FaD
>mediafire.com/file/y9w713etmckbs98/Shipfag.JPG

Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault, Star Wars: Destiny and the Star Wars LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZE4gn0yN

Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png

Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/cJY5FK9T

Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

Heroes of the Aturi Cluster
>dockingbay416.com/campaign

What is your favorite blaster rifle of the Star Wars universe? If it's the A-series, what's your favorite model?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamesradar.com/visceral-star-wars-like-uncharted/
admin.respawn.com/stig-blog
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Always loved the Endor A-280.
Though I really do like Cassian's modular 280 CFE.

I definitely hope this isnt a one off by Disney and that they would expand on creating more splinters to remind us the price of freedom especially since we are nowadays constantly exposed to fiction where the resistance is a choice between a douchebag and a shit sandwich. See games like Farcry 4 where you work for two equally despicable rebels or the Hunger Games where Alma Coin is proven to be as despicable as the dictator who had been oppressing the population for years.

Just because the rebels win in the end doesnt mean we cant show the rougher years of struggle

I expect we'll see some of it in the background of the Han Solo film, considering in the old eu he was dating a Rebel ( who ended up being the one to die broadcasting the DS1 plans to the Tantive, if I remember rightly).
That said, if it includes his time in the Imperial Academy, we might end up seeing the Rebellion from the Empires propaganda machine and shit so that might be interesting.

Man I REALLY want a Cassian Andor spinoff novel though.
I want to see the shady shit he had to do before Rogue One. Comic or novel would be great, i dont mind.

I like the E-11 a lot myself, but I'll be damned if the A295 doesn't look good. That may be my appreciation for the STG-44 talking though.

That's the why I like to view Star Wars, and how I think compelling fiction needs to be. There are no absolute evils and absolute goods, and in many ways, it's a choice between freedom with douches or order with turds. The side you pick is your own preference, though, and I hope we don't see another "fan civil war" for a while.

The upcoming Thrawn novel is 40% off on the B&N online store

I've always had a minor crush on the E-11 as well.
In the Jedi Knight games I'd basically only ever use pistol, E11 and lightsaber.
I liked to stay as 'film' as possible.

Same for playing battlefront actually. When playing Empire, I only use the E-11 or the DLT19, as rebels I vary it out a bit more since they're more ragtag, but I tend to stick to the A280 or the A180.

I love the A280-C, but I despise the stats of it in AoR, so I just use a normal
Blaster Rifle as a A295.

>Edge of the Empire, Western game
>Tuesdays, GMT-5, Discord or roll20 voice, afternoons
>Core book only

Pick up the gun
Save the day
Maybe live long enough to celebrate if the Hutts don't stab you in the back first.

Absolute evil is fine but I just find Absolute good difficult to swallow when facing absolute evil because they tend to be the first to die or be defeated because absolute evil have no excuses to hold back. So I feel like there needs to be rebels who are desperate or borderline on the cusp of despair. They dont want the boots of the empire to crush them but they feel Mothma's ways will lead them to ruin so they become desperate and do dirty shit like replace moffs with cartel heads who in exchange for not oppressing the locals in the area gets to run drug and Imperial enslavement (Say press ganging a bunch of stormtroopers to be used as screening troops) rings unmolested. They have to help the alliance not with uplifting words but by funding it with blood money

If I didn't have a game Thursday, maybe.

If I werent running my own campaign Id jump right the fuck in.

Tfw forever gm.

why core book only? Marshal, gunslinger, and gambler seem pretty western

What era do you prefer playing in? Clone Wars or Galactic Civil War or something else?

Legends New Republic era with some slight modifications.

Always the Civil War.
The Clone Wars are nice and all, but the distinct lack of X-Wings just doesnt turn me on.

Because it's the only book I have and I'm still learning the game.

I'll take LAATs, Clone Troopers, non-lore breaking Jedi, and ARC-170s over the X-wing

My favorite so far was a mix of both. My friend put us in an AU where Sheev isn't able to decisively end the Clone Wars, so the CIS manages to continue as a rival state to the new Empire and a cold war armistice is eventually set up between the Confederacy and the Empire basically splitting the galaxy and fighting proxy wars in the outer rim while the Jedi undermine the new Sith power in the galaxy by fucking with both sides while being hunted down.

So far we've had a lot of fun mixing old battle droid tech with OT Rebel Alliance aesthetics, and it's become the kind of setting I'd like to revisit when my group gets back together again.

but as for normal settings, I'd say GCW.

See all that stuffs fun and all.
But there's no Rogue Squadron, no Wraith Squadron, no 181st. And such, no point.

So we have the Clone Wars for the Prequals and the Civil War for the Original trilogy.

What's the conflict of the Sequal trilogy called? does it have a name yet?

>Prequals
>Sequal

Does your browser have a spellchecker?

Civil War 2 : Dark Side Boogaloo

>What's the conflict of the Sequal trilogy called?
The Wook uses "Resistance-First Order Conflict." I prefer to call it "Rehash."

Are there stats for the Pelta Carrier anywhere?

Come on man KOTOR wasn't that bad

First Order calls last orders for the New Republic

So far just First Order - Resistance Conflict... Hopefully, something in TLJ multimedia project comes up something better...

>Man I REALLY want a Cassian Andor spinoff novel though.
Right there with you. I am a sucker for a good espionage book

There's been a real lack of attention to the Clone Wars era by most everyone. Which I find a bit disappointing as while some people don't like the prequels, it is an interesting period of conflict prior to the Empire era and well detailed with the CW cartoons. So it would be good if FFG got around to making a book for that era.
Gunna have a bit of a think about it for a while as the Pelta is a modular ship that can have various fittings, kind of like the Consular from the same era.

my guess is that they're deliberately holding off for a clone wars sourcebook. FnD and chronicles of the gatekeeper had some notable clone wars stuff.

Going to do up the medical frigate version of it, see how it turns out in a few minutes

>There's been a real lack of attention to the Clone Wars era by most everyone
>Two TV shows with very high production values
>Two main saga films plus a film-length pilot for one of the TV shows
>Multiple separate comic book series
>First Lego Star Wars game was PT-centric
>Fucktons of novels and vidya, second only to the Rebellion/post-Rebellion Legends time period
>Art style transplanted into KOTOR era thanks to Bioware's laziness
>Most of Battlefront 2's campaign
>Plenty of attention in the classic Battlefront games in general
>Clone-era expansion pack for Galactic Battlegrounds with two different battle droid factions (CIS, Trade Fed)
>One of the most fondly remembered Star Wars vidya of all time
>Hands down the best film novelization in the franchise (Stover's RotS novelization)
>Jedi Starfighter in Rebel Strike
>Large number of Clone characters in that one mobile vidya
The Clone Wars have had the spotlight for years and the Clonewank never stopped.

Talking about the RPG/Tabletop side of things
Yeah, there's lots on it from everywhere else.

Gorog vs Zillo Beast

who wins?

Gonna go with Zillo. He tanked pretty much everything except the magic macguffin gas that was specifically cited as his kryptonite, whereas the Gorog was eventually overcome by brute force, an OP Jedi clone, gravity, and emergency brain surgery.

Just a bit of a ballpark idea for her, there's not a lot of analogues which I can put it next to except the Neb-B.
Price is kind of hard to come up with and I'm throwing it in the mil-surp pile that would have been decommissioned after the clone wars and sold off to various planetary/corp/private interests that need a hospital ship of this size, brand spanking new out of Kuat drive yards I reckon it might be about 3-4x that price.
I stuck guns on it, because fuck not having guns on a spaceship and they could be relatively easily retro-fitted due to the modular design.

If it was a cargo version, drop the crew down to about 15-20%, increase capacity up to about 10-12,000 and drop passengers to about 30

Ok so, question about how people fine RPG - specifically EotE, and its combat.

So far, my group is just having a kinda shit time of it. It feels to me like its dipping halfway between rules heavy and narrative heavy and getting nowhere.

Rules heavy gets to be fun because its all tactical and doing well in combat is about using the rules right and positioning etc

Narrative (ala dungeon world) gets to be cool because while you only roll a dice once you get to pull off cool shit description wise.

EotE is, well, neither? Its tied to the rules enough that you're not doing much other than just shooting someone. But the rules for combat are basic enough that most of the time a turn is just 'aim for boost, make attack at closest/scariest thing'.

Admittedly we're not high level so theres no cool gear, or crazy opponents. But in other stuff there was say, tactical stuff to get right. Here cover is worth fuck all, and so generally we're just shooting at the closest thing, maybe a grenade or two. Hell overwatch doesn't have any rules I can see. Only real option each turn is just shoot. Can i have some differences in RoF, aiming shots, cover doing more (so id have to flank to kill people well), etc.

Have people had similar experiences? Fixes? Or am I just boring and fucking this up.

I think you are right and the combat is barebones, however there is a lot of narrative you can add into combat through advantage,triumph,threat, and despair and it is up to the players and the Gm to use them in creative ways to spice up the combat imo.

Forget to mention to look into Forged in Battle, the Soldier Career book, if you are looking for some inspiration in other uses for advantages and such in certian enviroments!

The way FFG's dice work is to DISCOURAGE purely shooting and ending your turn. Threat and Advantage can be used in nearly limitless ways in different situations if you're creative enough. Think outside the box and encourage being abstract and creativity from your players. You can also tweak the combat yourself quite a bit. If it feels too simple, there are numerous ways you can add tactics and placement to it. If you feel it's too complicated, you can simplify it equally.

The LAAT and AT-TE appear in FiB atleast.

Thanks.

So yeah basically be less boring. We were sticking to the core books use for threat/advantage, like +boost and such.

Ditto.
What are some ways you've added tactics/placement? My first thought was if you up the amount of defense that cover adds it heavily encourages people to flank.

Fair enough, good luck user and points for picking up a GM hat, the pastebin has all the other books to look through too if you like the system.

>you will never play a disgruntled, mangled, and betrayed Phase III Dark Trooper going up against the Death Troopers that forcibly replaced your program after some asshole blew your project up

That sounds pretty fantastic

Only to be forced to join forces with the sole survivor of your rampage after the oldschool Death Troopers have a zombie-style uprising.

>you will never be a nu-canon death trooper reluctantly teaming with the obsolete, traitorous Phase III that helped the rebels wipe out your company because he's butthurt over Palpatine rightfully canning the late and not-so-great Rom Mohc's stupid-ass project that got killed by one merc due to hordes of angry undead stormtroopers
>you will never fight your way out with your new "friend" and wonder how he escaped execution as the undead stormtroopers fight with rakghoulified stormtroopers

There's a lot of lightsaber options in FaD. Is there a comparison between the different types of saber and gems?

I like the gun

Kinda

I approached it the same way you did from the sounds of it, and I leaned more towards rules heavy with tokens and grid and shit. Then after that game ended I was lazy for the next one and just didn't bring tokens or put down a grid, and whilst abstract and a bit vague it worked out but still felt static.

Then some guys online pointed out I was using the dice wrong. I was almost exclusively using the advantage/threat/triumph/etc to just add a blue dice here, a black dice there, and since I've started using them a little more creatively (his two despair short out his pistol and he proceeds to draw a vibro-axe from his belt and advance on you/you can spent that triumph to force his engines to choke for a second, lining up an easier shot next round you fire on his ship) I've been enjoying it more and the players have been much less static

I'm seeing a lot more ducking behind cover not to get a black dice added to enemy attack pools, but because it looks cool and they want to move around and be creative like I am.

How often do pilots/aces get to do their thinf in your game?

No often enough. I'm trying to fix that currently and work vehicles and flight into it more often.
Perhaps I should just give him a jetpack so his flight skill is always something useful.
Being able to fly won't do him an awful lot of good most of the time anyways

I've included one space encounter in each adventure, but sadly if we're slow that might not happen every session. I'm also trying to improve the quality of them, I've a large group and my worry is with one guy as pilot and another as gunner there's not a lot for everyone else to do and they can only run around trying to buff the two contributing people for so long. So I'm gonna give them a small fighter and make them split the party a little, and I'm getting more narrative with the ship damage so there's more for people to run around responding to if they're not taking part in the fight

>Find out about a local store I didn't know about
>About to start working day shift again
>They have X-Wing games at 7pm on Tuesdays
>Get hyped, look for my imps
>I've clearly moved my TIE swarm somewhere while cleaning, can't find the boxes, find some interceptors destroyed when I was moving but nothing else
>Oh well, I'll go find rebels
>My Falcon and ORS custom YT-1300 are where I thought they were, as are my cards
>Find my Corran, Dutch, Biggs models
>Remember why I quit the first time

My doggo just had to jump up on a bed while excited and give Biggs authenticity.. Oh well, Should I magnetise and use for flavour, or try to find my second X-Wing?

post doggo.

Im kind of impressed that its just bent to shit rather than snapped.

It is not every day a brave pilot survives a vicious giant akk-dog attack. Magnetize.

Doggo in less frustrating circumstances.
That impressed me too, I'm the guy who was working on making a Howlrunner model for casting sometime back and even resin snaps under those circumstances, and that shit is soft as fuck.
Fair enough, I guess it will be a fun novelty model, and the legality is on the base, not on the token iirc (unless something has changed while I was out of the game).

I haven't played X-Wing since shortly before the wave that had the Ghost and stuff. What should I be prepared to put up with?

>neptune world map
Fucking lies, that isnt Neptune.

Demon

Noice, but assuming you don't know this pointless tidbit, Neptune were a fuel station chain here in Australia (don't know if they were overseas). I like outdated maps, so that one is up on the wall.

He is a lovely boy... But he did kill Biggs.

Viluppo has the prices but I don't think it has the stats of each crystal.

The lightsaber weapons are highly customizable but very expensive. Most of the crystals focuses on a different secondary stat to spend advantage on, like burn or concussive.

>he did kill Biggs
Good boy

I can relate to that, old maps are fucking beautiful.
My mums always loved them too, found a book a few years back of old battle maps dating back centuries and she loved it.

>killed biggs
Actually i mean, if you look at it, the cockpit's intact, two of the S-foils are working fine, and one laser cannon still looks good to go.
The main body of the ship doesnt seem damaged at all apart from some vague paint scratching.

Biggs is still good to go.
Maybe you should only be rolling 1 red to reflect his reduced armament though.

1 of the working S-Foils is missing the back end of the engine, the only missing part on the ship.

>But he did kill Biggs.

At this point, who hasn't had to kill Biggs in XWM?

>My dog can now be said to have played XWM

Like Shell or Esso or Texaco I guess?

What happens to Oil Companies that don't make the grade? Do they just get absorbed by the bigger ones?

Not quite an oil company, just a petrol station chain. They were founded in 1909, started selling Socony fuel until they were bought by Shell in 1926. They kept selling Shell fuel as Waratah fuee and had their stations called Neptune until 1969 when I believe they became Shell stations.

Generally oil companies are like other mining and exploration companies, unsuccessful ones go into receivership or broker a merger with a larger company.

>digging up some b ackground music for my group to explore imperial bases to
>rogue squadron and jedi knight games are the best source i can think of, so im trawling those osts

This is just making me sad that with EA at the helm, we'll never see another star wars game on the same level as the JK and RS series for another, what, 8 years they have the license? And then another few years beyond that for development?

We've got four new star wars films in the line, at least, and we wont see a single non-EA game for any of them.
I dont want a dozen more Dice Battlefronts goddamnit.

Well what else can they even do? Make another KotoR game and slap the Bioware logo on the front?
You really want a Star Wars version of the debacle that was Andromeda?

Theyre already making that Uncharted clone they showed some of.

But yes, you honestly dont expect them to shuffle bioware into making some Star Wars shit they can absolutely butcher just like they did ME2, 3 and A?

I just want Factor 5 to come back and make RS games again, and Free Radical to be resurrected and make a new Battlefront, and Raven to make a new Jedi Academy game.
Just let me dream, user.

But yes, you honestly dont expect them to shuffle bioware into making some Star Wars shit they can absolutely butcher just like they did ME2, 3 and A?

I'm honestly not sure they even have the imagination to make the connection.

Well, I hope you're right.
After the mockery they made of their own Old Republic setting, I dont want to see them set loose on eras I actually still like.

Which splat are those in?

The Smuggler and Colonist books, Fly Casual and Far Horizons, respectively.

If the uncharted clone you're talking about is 1313, then mate I've got some bad news for you

At least they gave us a bunch of cool concept art from it after they canned the project, and the soft reveal that you were gonna be playing a young Fett undercover throughout the game and only reveal who you were further in

Fuck, now I'm thinking about who in the market I'd trust to develop a good quality Star Wars game and I'm coming up with a lot. I'd trust CD Projekt Red over Bioware any day, but we'd be waiting 4-5 years for them to make the game

Are there any good places to get character art for star wars PCs and NPCs? It has a subtly distinct aesthetic that is frustrating to try to match.

There's quite a few companies who could make a great Star Wars game, so long as they played to their strengths.

What are you looking for exactly? If you are willing to go through pages and pages of stuff theres a great thread of star wars/scifi art on the EOTE part of the FFG forums.

Nah, though much as I loved 1313's aesthetics the gameplay itself looked pretty dull. Cover shooter, yaaay.

The concept art is a goldmine for my EotE game though.

But no, I meant the games they teased at E3...a year ago I think it was? I lose track.

Either way they teased one by Visceral which had 8 seconds of a dude walking out of Chalmun's Cantina, and they teased another game by Respawn.
The Visceral one is apparently Uncharted Star Wars, as so
gamesradar.com/visceral-star-wars-like-uncharted/

The Respawn one, we dont much know yet, other than here
admin.respawn.com/stig-blog
"We’ll be making a third-person action/adventure game set in the Star Wars universe."
Which doesnt say an awful lot.

Will it be Titanfall with AT-STs?
Honestly, i'd play it, but I guess we'll find out.

And yeah, fucking agreed on CDPR.
I'd kill for a Star Wars game by them. Christ, just reskin the Witcher and tweak its writing and Im already on board.

You could try searching artstation, there's a fair number of people who draw star wars things there, epsecially since ILM ran a competition a while back.

>who in the market
>Paradox 4X game
>ArcSys fighting game
>Intelligent Systems
>Project Aces starfighter game
>id or Kojima Dark Forces
>Platinum Force Unleashed remake
>Chris Roberts starfighter game
>Intelligent Systems tactical RPG
>From Software Jedi game
>Red Orchestra 2 in space
>Star Wargame: Krayt Dragon
>R6: Siege with Bounty Hunters
>Trioculus for Smash when
>Battlefront: Bad Company 2 if DICE got their heads out of their asses

Hell, a reskinned Sniper Elite Star Wars game would be pretty fucking sweet.

>>From Software Jedi game

>you will never play Jedi Souls
Holy fuck I didnt know how much I wanted this, or how much it's going to hurt that it will never exist.

How would the physics of that work? Sure, there's bullet drop with slugthrowers, but what do you do with blaster bolts?

Well, get immediately spotted since every shot you fire is a tracer.

Which would provide its own interesting issues.

Rogues, smugglers, bounty hunters, imperial officers, soldiers, droids, etc.

Honestly half the reason I suggested it is cause I still want that Star Wars Metal Gear game.

That's a big damn poodle
Have an auntie that used to have a breeding stud of the smaller ones and they'd be either friendliest little things you ever met or try to take your hand off. No sort of happy middle ground, though the friendly ones used to go out and help me flush out hares and rabbits, that was kind of hilarious watching half a dozen fluffy poodles lose their fucking minds at the first sight of a bunny. They where fucking garbage gun dogs and no chance of an intact bunny after it was shot, but always got an A for effort.

>EA at the helm,
I was once willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in the past, but been burned too many times with them turning good ideas into complete shit.
They're just box merchants, sling them out the door and appalling long term support.

Pretty much.
I remeber in 08 I had this brief hope that they were changing, with Mirrors Edge and Dead Space both getting released - new IPs, from EA of all people!

Then they ignored Mirror's Edge for half a decade, and progressively shit on the Dead Space dev team, and I knew EA would never change.

Yeah I jumped into Warhammer Online back in about 08-09, had spare time to burn and despite my love for warham fantasy. Such a dog of a product, ran like a drunk (on a high end PC) barely anything worked, server crashes and disappointed a lot of people.
So that was it for me and EA.

Oh fuck me, I forgot Warham online was EA.
That'd explain why it got fucked so hard I guess.

Rune priest all day nigga

>Bad Company 2 Steam release
>MOH: Pacific Assault briefly available for free on Origin
>NBA Jam 2010 genuinely fun as fuck
>Unraveled
>Nihilus and HK-47 in that one mobile game, despite the EU wipe
>Recanonizing the TIE Defender, Dark Trooper program, and HWK-290
>Allegedly still employs some members of the old Wing Commander 4 team
There's still a brief glimmer of hope. A little spark of the fun old EA is still there. I can only hope that it stays alive.

>>Paradox 4X game

I'm pretty sure the mod tools to get a functioning Star Wars game in Stellaris are already there.

>Star Wargame: Krayt Dragon

Want. But 40k Only War-Game first please.

>Platinum Force Unleashed remake

I'd settle with For Honor with Lightsabers.

...and dedicated servers.

I had a Witch Elf and a Disciple of Khaine ... don't hate!
I actually wanted to play a White lion but all my friends insisted we be the bad guys

>Star Wars For Honor
...That'd actually be really neat.

Basic Rebel/Imperial soldiers shooting at each other from cover, inquisitors and jedi bipping around at speed with sabers out.
Id play that.

White lions were fun from what I remember.
Great style