Low CMC Edition

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

If /ccg/ made a collaborative set, what would you want the theme to be?

>Low CMC Edition
Damn, my greatest weakness!

Collaboration. Well, sorta. I'd honestly want it to have very little distinct flavor of its own, but have a bunch of different flavorful parts in it. OK, that doesn't make sense, does it. I'd want something like the core sets, or the commander sets, where we can see glimpses of all these different planes, but the set as a whole isn't devoted to any of them. I dunno, I just like vanilla sometimes.

It's sort of happened once before; check the archives for Roxolan. He did a custom cube with submissions from these threads. All other attempts to do this have fallen on their asses because we're all unreliable shitstains. But, if we were to try again, I'd want to do something that's not been done by WotC. Neolithic, or maybe China, or Pac Islands/Maori, that kind of thing. A mostly-water world might be neat, but it'd be hard to not just make it like Torment but with Islands.

But how much low?

I mean, pacific islands have incredibly varied climates. You could totally just keep it mostly on the islands and have plenty of representation for all the colors. White is tribal culture with all its weird laws and shit, blue is obvious, black is weird necromancers who steal dead bodies for their mana (or something not sure about black really), red is volcanoes and shit, and green is the jungle creatures.

That's actually a cool idea.

but for what reason???

CAN WE GO EVEN DEEPER?

(I actually like the card, it looks interesting)

Tribute folder, combo enabler and easily recurrable with my Backup mechanic (that is pretty much a fixed soulshift)

Just reprint some kobolds.

This was very inspiring.

Kobolds aren't Spirits and they don't fit the overall theme. Also, more cheerios, horray.

So "go second: the land". Not too sure about this, but WotC has done things like the Leylines, as well as some "go second" stuff if I recall, so maybe it's fine?

So a dual land that you have to choose which side you want? I kinda like it. It's kind of like a fetch that just cuts to the chase, but you can "reset" it if you feel like bouncing it.

She doesn't seem any different from last time, so still fine.

>sac fodder

>black headhunters
Oooh. This could be spicy.

Tensor seems alright. but I feel like it's a bit superfluous since Spell Mastery already exists and is easier to grok.

Not bad.

Eh, lot of hoops to jump through here and the Ritualism ability needs something other than "cares about exiled stuff" to work well, like Flashback or something. So if that's there, great I guess, but it feels a bit forced otherwise.

We've gone too far!

Would this see play somewhere?

I wish i had some creativity for good cards.

Phyrexian mana belongs in NPH and pretty much nowhere else. White paying life to defray mana costs is extremely out of color, so you need a theme setpiece to explain it. Also why bother making it cost 6 life then gain you 2 life? Why not a double Phymana cantrip that doesn't do anything else? I mean you just made a card that reads "Pay 4 life and cycle this card."

Doing something much less complex with this iteration.

This could just be monoblack if you were so inclined.

Eh, I always feel like random discard should have Red in it. But do you think I could cut the cost down to 2BR? If not, I will make it mono-Black.

Hm. That's a pretty strong anthem she has, so... I'm not really sure. I feel like the better answer is a more useful body. The issue is, Harley really isn't spectacular in any way, so anything more than a 2/2 feels like too much. Random discard is so goddamn strong that I just can't see antheming it for cheap at all without some kind of drawback like having to discard a card yourself or something.

Though, if you're going to have Joker do that, then having Harley do what she does is kinda redundant. I feel like in these cases you should design the cards to compliment each other; as though they would have Partner if you were inclined to use anything but evergreen stuff.

Might as well post some cards if I'm going to give feedback. This is a repost, but I can't think of anything new to make at the moment.

New iteration for Harley then. And I'm going to sleep, see you all later.

Okay, now this I like. Goodnight.

If they don't have a creature or planeswalker, the ability doesn't resolve.

Wut? It's a "may" and it's an "or". That'd be like saying Lightning Bolt can't do 3 to face if they don't control a creature wouldn't it?

Each instance of the word "target" demands a valid target be selected or the ability can't go onto the stack.
The fix would be to make it modal.
"Wheneva a foo' discards a card, you may choo one
* ~ domes 2 to that mofo
* ~ jives 2 shanks to target bitch or ho that mofo hustles"

Lightning Bolt is "deals 3 damage to target creature or player", not "deals 3 damage to target player or target creature that player controls".

Informative and funny. Post more, I beseech thee.

>The fix would be to make it modal.
There are plenty of ways to fix it without using modal.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't work.

It doesn't but it's a good idea
It just need more work
We'd probably need to use another keyword than Awaken or no keyword at all

Kicker?
>Kicker 4
>Destroy target creature. If ~ was kicked, put X +1/+1 counters on target land you control, where X is that creature's toughness. It becomes a 0/0 Elemental creature with haste.

Yeah, Kicker, that's the one I thought of.

D O O M S D A Y

I like that design.

What about put +1/1 counters on target land equal to the destroyed creatures toughness. That land is an Elemental creature in addition to it types?

Really wondering if the first ability should just be a static number, to encourage making a bunch of Servos with the second ability, rather than just putting all your Equipment on a few creatures.

Eh, advantage to the guy who goes second I guess. Not really a fan.

Not bad I guess, but you could easily make this a DFC. Though, you could just tap for B then use its ETB ability, so I think I'd say
>You may have ~ enter the battlefield flipped/transformed.

Uh, why? You can get a 0/1, a 1/1, a 0/2 with Flying, and a 0/3, all for 0 mana. This is worse than all of those.

Eh, not really a fan. What the other guy said, why not just Spell Mastery?

Eh. Not sure why it can get Menace though.

Really narrow for a card that needs setup to work.

All you need is
>If ~ would enter the battlefield, put it into its owner's graveyard instead.
Which I put on a 0-mana 2/2.

Kinda interesting. Though it needs to be reworded entirely since players other than its owner can cast it. Let's try
>~'s owner shuffles it into his or her library, then reveals the top card of his or her library. If a card named ~ is revealed this way, that player shuffles his or her library, then reveals the top card of his or her library. If a card named ~ is revealed this way, that player wins the game.
You have to search by name, otherwise it gets weird because if a player has multiple copies of the card, it would be impossible to tell which is the one that was cast unless it's marked, which people don't really want to do.

I think it's interesting, though I doubt Intensity would ever be a keyword. I think I'd just write the whole thing out. Also, maybe cast the cards until the end of your next turn?

stupid frogposters

Enables turn-two wins in basically any format.

Yeah but you have to lick the card multiple times
That's icky and eventually the text will fade and it will be worthless

Yeah I suppose it's not the best keyword because it costs you something, and most good keywords (at least those that get evergreened) don't have a cost attached; they just either manipulate the game rules or go along with things you are already doing, like casting spells. I'll consider the change to the card playing clause, but I figured it'd be best for comprehension if it fell in line with the standard impulse effect. Player expectation and all that.

Way too good a body and ability for blue at common.

Sleeves man, sleeves.

Very strong. Also the wording on the activated ability is off.

Would upping it to 2UU be good, or should I lower its power?

Also I haven't been paying attention to rarities and think it should be uncommon.

>Chameleon Frogue is that color and not any other colors.
Better?

Not him, but I gave you a template for wording here

Ah, though the color-changing on my card is temporary. Of course, you just have to take out the "until end of turn" clause on the ability, though if you do, you should probably add reminder text that says it lasts indefinitely.

>Chameleon Frogue becomes the color of your choice and loses any other colors

Is this a bad idea?

This is like a balanced fetchland. I wish that flip cards weren't so reviled, they're much more elegant than DFCs.

Even at common, this is unplayable garbage. This isn't 1995; you don't have to make big blue creatures utterly awful.

You don't have to say
>and loses any other colors.
It just because the one color you choose, and due to how the rules work, that automatically overwrites any other colors.

>I wish that flip cards weren't so reviled, they're much more elegant than DFCs.
Ha, good one. I need to prepare some April Fool's material as well. But really, flips suck. DFC's do everything that flips can do better, and they can do things that flips just plain can't.

>card
Seems like an interesting idea, but I have no clue, sorry.

>DFCs do everything that flips can do better
Except being playable without sleeves or special checklist cards. Oh, and the extra expense and difficulty of printing them makes them hard to use regularly.

You're right that DFCs are better than flip cards and gross cowtits, but they do have some downsides compared to them.

>Except being playable without sleeves or special checklist cards.
Fair enough.

>Oh, and the extra expense and difficulty of printing them makes them hard to use regularly.
Do you think flips have no extra expense attached to them? Probably not as much as DFCs, but still.

>You're right that DFCs are better than flip cards, but they do have some downsides compared to them.
Yes, but they have a lot more upsides.

>gross cowtits
???

>card
I don't think this works, but even if it did, I still wouldn't like it much. But I don't like Hellbent much either, so maybe people who do like Hellbent would like this card, who knows.

>Uh, why? You can get a 0/1, a 1/1, a 0/2 with Flying, and a 0/3, all for 0 mana. This is worse than all of those.
Tribute folder. Also Soulshift is back, lmao. But yeah, maybe not being able to block was an overkill

>Eh, not really a fan. What the other guy said, why not just Spell Mastery?
Spell Mastery can be easily activated with simple graveyard setup. With Tensor, I want to encourage playing more spells per turn, not to just discard your spells with babyJace and shit.

>Eh. Not sure why it can get Menace though.
It felt lacking without some kind of built in evasion. Maybe I should increase the cost of the activation, thought.

>Really narrow for a card that needs setup to work.
That's because of the Ritualism mechanic. UG will have a heavy graveyard/exile focus. I'll post another UG card after this one.

I am not sure how balanced this is but I want it to be something that both benefits other frogs and benefits from other frogs.

>???
DFC is chan slang for "delicious flat chest" aka loli. The opposing element is called "cowtits."

Here's another example on ritualism.

>sac fodder
Yes. And easily recurrable in this set.

>Tensor seems alright. but I feel like it's a bit superfluous since Spell Mastery already exists and is easier to grok.
It's pretty different from Spell Mastery since it encourages you to play low cost spells on the same turn, while Spell Mastery pretty much works almost anytime during the mid-late game.

>Eh, lot of hoops to jump through here and the Ritualism ability needs something other than "cares about exiled stuff" to work well, like Flashback or something. So if that's there, great I guess, but it feels a bit forced otherwise.
Here's another example. Also, some other cards will care for you having cards exiled.

Love it.

That art doesn't make me think of "Honor of the Meek" so much as "Bad Trip of the Anime Emo". Recommend you get a replacement.

Yeah, I know. It's a placeholder for now.

>"Bad Trip of the Anime Emo".

Last one for today.

Pretty sure I haven't posted this one yet. Character is a Praetorian guard type.

OK. Well, you definitely answered all of my questions. But I will say that I don't think any feedback I can give to cards with these mechanics is going to be very useful, so in the future, I probably won't comment on them at all. It's not that I feel any certain way about any of the cards or mechanics, I just don't know how to properly evaluate them in a way that is beneficial to you. Basically, I don't want to waste your time asking about mechanics and interactions that you've already explained that I just don't happen to get.

Don't worry. Since in a custom set and you don't have the boundaries that a normal set would in Wizards' R&D, it might end up becoming way more experimental and things get hard to evaluate without playtesting.

This card for example doesn't a equivalent existing card to help to evaluate it. So it was really hard to give a mana cost to the card and its ability.

Bumping with uncommons
It seems incredibly narrow, even for a card that is (I'm assuming) tribally-focused. Which means it will either have support, and be a crazy-efficient way to reanimate stuff, or it won't have support, and it'll be of little use at all. Too swingy as-is, I'd say.

Horrors are very relevant in this set

Which means your previous card will most likely fall into the
>have support, and be a crazy-efficient way to reanimate stuff
category. It's too cheap in a set with plenty of reanimation-worthy Horrors and useless outside of it. Too swingy. Too niche.
>Pain Elemental
No create wording? Also, token should be plural in this case. Furthermore, that's an uncommon at least. Five power across four bodies, three of which have evasion, for an equivalent amount of mana? Even with the morbid drawback, that thing is backbreaking in limited.

Why all the weird frog stuff?

Fiddling with my cock now

Say /ccg/, what are the chances of Wizard publishing a card I design? Like, let's say I painted the art, and the card was well-balanced.

None. They can't use unsolicited cards for legal reasons. However they can steal your card concept freely because they have plausible deniability due to their published stance on custom cards.

>They can't use unsolicited cards for legal reasons.

What legal issues could come about this?

Honestly probably nothing because Hasbro has lawyers and money and WotC is worth defending financially but technically if they printed a card you gave them "for free" you could later claim royalties and actually have a case, and they would rather just not deal with it.

Not him, but I think it would mostly be about Wizards using a card design that they didn't actually come up with. If a link were established between the original custom card and the version that Wizards made, the original creator of the custom card could probably make a case for receiving proper compensation for that. But take this all with a grain of salt, I know fuck all about law, this is just my speculation.

Woops

It's 4am here, so I'm dropping these latest uncommons off and heading to bed. Let me know what you guys think!
Some wording issues to look into, specifically in the middle ability. Despite that, I like how the drawback organically feeds his untap ability. That's a nice little bit of self-synergy.

The Hexproof/Trample ability should probably be split up into two separate abilities. Unsure why the first ability specifies nontoken, or why the last ability is UB.

Made this multicolor. I'm a lot happier with it now.

There's not a lot to say about these. They're solid, functional designs with flawless templating. Sepulchral Channeler is my favorite - a shining example of multicolor design.

Is there a reason you aren't using black's Swamp-based mana ramp much? If you have, I've missed it. See pic related, anyway.

>Where has my day gone?
I wasn't expecting feels, holy shit.

Haven't touched this one in a while. Core ideas are a focus on creature death, possibly with sacrifice, creating tokens, and generating mana.

>UB01
Wording isn't right. You have a graveyard check clause, but the return clause is worded like it's getting bounced from the battlefield. It should be something like
>Whenever you spend 5 or more mana to cast a spell, you may return ~ from your graveyard to your hand.
Seems meh otherwise.

>UB02
Right off the bat it seems too good. I think it would be much better to drain every play of 2 life.

>UB06
I think having it trigger twice, on top of having Unearth, is too much.

>UB10
Sorcery? Sacrifice? Uncommon? GGG? Huh? OK, uncommon we can leave aside, but the other three, I don't understand why they're all here on the same card. Just seems like too many downsides at once.

>UB11
Weird. B has an enchantment theme in your set?

Others I don't mention are meh.

4 life for G/W? Seems like a bit much.

I wanted to play around a little with exert and this is what I came up with. The idea or flavor behind this is that when you exert him he either goes all-out and dive-bombs like a meteor or he carries a buddy, giving that buddy a nice boost.
And in case you don't know, Naktamun is the name of the big city in Amonkhet as we found out yesterday.

What do you think?

Beginning the groundwork on a small set, looking for input. The skeleton of the story is more or less complete: a kingdom "without borders", great fuckhueg empire, breaks down, fighting occurs in such ferocity and for so long that the world is nearly thrown into the dark ages, a few of the city-states manage to collect enough power to absorb or wipe their competitors, now the one giant kingdom is split into five smaller kingdoms.

Here's the thing, though: I'm going for an asymmetric distribution of colors at the top end, and I'm wondering what people think the best way of tackling that is:
>1: Full Asymmetry
Consequences be damned, full asymmetry puts flavor and preference first. Under this system, it's entirely possible to have any assortment of big legendaries I want. Mono, two, three color, shards, wedges, guilds, whatever feels like the best.

>2. Color Asymmetry
Every legend has the same number of component colors, but there are no checks in place saying that each color needs to be equally represented. For instance, three may have White and only one may have Green.

>3. Anti-Cycle Symmetry
All the commanders have equal color representation, but do not follow the standard cycle of allied/enemy/shard/wedge. For instance, Abzan, Temur, Mardu, Bant, and Grixis at the top end.

I honestly want to try it with a fully asymmetric top end, but option 3 seems like the best for a draftable set.

Perfect intro pack rare.

Good luck with that. I think you'll need it.

I think it should be something like
>Counter target spell that would counter a spell.
Not entirely sure though.