Could your BBEG defeat Sauron?

Could your BBEG defeat Sauron?

Sauron from what time period?

>BBEG

Bleh.

What information would I use to determine that?

But OP.....
What if it IS Sauron?

Definitely not. But it would be a cool fight, and it would take some time and some pretty amazing battles. My villain is the setting equivalent of Ancalagon The Black, but her army is not remotely comparable to Mordor. She's also heavily outnumbered in terms of lieutenants, I'm pretty sure the Witch King would take down twelve adult D&D dragons and a couple high level cultists without a scratch.

in what contest? My bbeg challenges Sauron to the Miss BBEG contest! not only a event of who is most beautiful but of poise, grace and decorum!

My BBEG is a Vilderavn with a modified version of the Paragon 3.5 template, so possibly?

>Another shitty, lazy "BBEG" thread
OP trying to win faggot of the year award?

>getting worked up over the shorthand for 'big bad evil guy'.

Really nigger?

>lost to Isildur
>lost to a DOG
>even fucking Morgoth BARELY managed to beat Fingolfin

dark lords in LotR aren't that impressive physically, at least not to the point where they can't be taken down by lone heroes. And DnD is generally more destructive than LotR. So yeah definitely

>trying to say "big bad evil guy" doesn't sound gay

Really nigger?

Probably, if Sauron happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but my BBEG is probably better described as 'walking natural disaster' than 'villain.'

>lost to isildur after a 3 vs 1 duel in which he killed two lords of the west said to be the best warriors of the second age
>lost to a wardog of valinor that was literally god's guard dog after a very long and vicious fight
>morgoth was wounded but never 'barely' beat fingolfin, said to be the greatest warrior in the history of middle earth

Even Smaug was afraid of Sauron.

Second Age, has the ring, pre-Numenor.

Don't take the bait

People have been complaining about "Big Bad Evil Guy" for years. The early complaints seemed to be mostly about the concept itself, with many people disagreeing that a plot needed a character as a central antagonist.

Now, it seems that some of the complaints are about the language. "Big Bad Evil Guy" was coined to sound corny, and is more of an in-joke than a designation like "Central Antagonist." It's also grown to be somewhat vague, with some people using it as the central antagonist, others using it as the final antagonist, and still others using it as simply any antagonist, which can get confusing when trying to communicate about one of these specific ideas.

As far as the shitstorm, I think that comes in part because it takes very little effort to say "BBEG sounds dumb", which is enough to trigger some people who use that phrase. These people then go to say things like "you need to respect this acronym, it's Veeky Forums's acronym, every true fa/tg/uy uses BBEG exclusively," and that gets even people who had no real interest in the matter upset, because it starts to sound like there's people who are actually actively trying to push BBEG.

BBEG is a meme, and like most memes it doesn't have much of a shelf life. The old joke has faded, and now it seems like people are just finding it weird for people to be so fervent in holding onto it.

I'm unsure, as I don't have a decent way to gauge Sauron's power, and I'm not entirely sure who the BBEG is in our campaign. As of now, we're pursuing the death of a god, so probably kills Sauron. It's got other sealed gods backing it, and it controls a sentient plague that basically creates zombies. The GM has said it isn't the last enemy, but we've heard nothing about what could possibly come after. Probably the other gods, who would also probably be capable of killing Sauron. This is E11 Pathfinder, with a high optimization floor, so magic is generally more powerful and monsters are incredibly strong. But I've got little frame of reference with which to compare.

Is Sauron in our setting, or are we in Middle Earth?

YOU FUCKING LOSE
DON'T EVEN TRY AGAINST HIS SINGING

>a mid level renraku suit

no, i think not.

Im not sure who the BBEG is yet in the current campaign im the DM

I want to brush Saurons hair and convince him to be good with cuddles

I personally like the term BBEG. It's either the main antagonist or just the most powerful villain in a setting.
The only real argument against it would be
>but "bad" and "evil" make it redundant
Robin hood was "bad" but he wasn't "evil"

People being mad about acronyms is pretty retarded. Like, look at this guy
He just dropped by to shitpost without saying anything because "m-muh buzzwords".

Robin hood wasnt real senpai

why isn't BBEG the: Big Badguy at the End of the Game?

Likewise, brother

His power's hard to gauge because Tolkien is pretty abstract with him overall and most of his actual appearances were based off fragmented writings of Tolkien adapted by his son.

A simple way of considering it however is this: Sauron was a Maiar. Maiar are like "lesser angels", more powerful than mortals but less powerful than Valar. Valar were greater angels, more powerful than Maiar but weaker than Ainur. Ainur were demigods, the most powerful entities in existence.

Sauron's powers of magic and sorcery were on par with some Valar, and he is often considered the strongest Maiar there ever was, with the other contenders being Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs, and Ungoliant, who turned herself into a giant spider and drank godjuice.

Sauron was also taught and his powers honed by Melkor, also known as Morgoth, who was an Ainu and explicitly said to be more poiwerful (early on) than every single Valar and Ainur put together.

Sauron was trained by the second strongest thing in existence, the only entity stronger being Eru/God himself, and had magic power that made him, a lesser angel, able to contend with greater angels.

It's a toss up. The main villain is a patch of sapient darkness that appears as a comfy cabin and is slowly trying to suck all warmth from a dying world.

Some nitpicking here, Ainur aren't stronger than Valar, Valar are just Ainur that entered the world as opposed to waiting outside of it. They're just two categories for the same type of being, Valar were Ainur at one point.

Further, Melkor isn't as strong as every one of the other Ainur combined. He was individually the strongest, and more importantly he had a share of the talents of the other Ainur. No other Ainur could have singlehandedly went against the collective except for Melkor. But when push came to shove he got his ass kicked twice, the only reason the Valar didn't throw down with him immediately was they were unwilling to destroy so much of Middle-Earth in the fight.

Mine is basically Gilgamesh mixed with Sigmar and King Arthur as he tried to reconquer his old empire (the whole world) after thousands of years of slumber.

If he could get to punching distance to Sauron he might win out of pure demigod might, yeah.

You're a fucking tard

Neither was Sauron

Ainur are Valar, but often classed above the rest as they were the first to be created, and indeed in the latest/last version of the Legendarium, Melkor was more powerful than all of them put together, surpassed only by Eru.

The Valar came against him three times: once early on with the Battle of the Powers and then their siege of his fortress, an unnamed time when they were driven back and had to regroup their strength, and the War of Wrath, where they unleashed their entire might against Morgoth, and twice during it they were nearly defeated. Laying siege to his first fortress long before likewise cost them terribly. It wasn't entirely for the sake of Middle-earth's state that they didn't attack Morgoth in full force; it was also that for a long time they simply couldn't match him, and when they could, they were unable or unwilling to sacrifice so much of their own and their allies to defeat him.

Morgoth also came into Valarian lands numerous times himself and destroyed much of it, and it was only when the Valar decided that no cost was too great to stop him that they came over with all their power, and again, it took almost forty five years to bring him down, and this was at a time when Morgoth had become much weaker from having forsaken his spiritual form and having spread his will and essence across Arda.

The Legendarium hints to the fact that Eru didn't directly intervene and take out Morgoth because Morgoth was part of his own divine plans. Whether that's true or not, what is true is that the Valar and Ainur believed Morgoth was simply wrecking them badly, and on multiple occasions they truly feared he would defeat them and take complete control over all of Arda.