sgiz.mobi/s3/9d26907ef733

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/
What's the best adventure in Tales from the Yawning Portal?

does the psi point progression on the mystic feel really weird? like it stays the same for a really long time in some spots

White Plume.

>Trio of subclasses

Still gonna call them "kits".

>What's the best adventure in Tales from the Yawning Portal?

I'll let you know when I get it on the 10th, according to Amazon. But the one I'm looking forward to the most is either Tomb of Horrors or Against the Giants.

I love the Mesoamerican theme in The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan. That alone makes it my favorite so far.

It's in the trove if you want to take a look before your book arrives.

>It's in the trove if you want to take a look before your book arrives.

Ahhh, delicious. Thanks, user, I'd missed that.

Now if only a certain other RPG could have its core rulebook scanned and uploaded somewhere where I could find it. A certain RPG that is not d20 related, but which is related to a Hasbro property.

And pertains to equines.

New to DnD and have been looking around at classes. I've been interested in a monk/warlock multi-class focusing around hex.
Does anyone have any advice around the best way to do this?
Was thinking about potentially doing shadow monk and playing off of that.
But honestly I'm open to any suggestions.

>variant human
>magic initiate warlock for hex
>lvl1-end of game monk
>????
>profit

Is the Revised Ranger Beast Master OP? My friend went autistic on another player that I allowed to use the class (with the caveat that I would be nerfing it as I see fit) and was trying to say the average dps for it was greater than rogues and barbs and w/e

No, it's not OP. In fact, it's important to give the beast magical attacks at some point so they're not fucked over in combat.

>greater than rogues and barbs and w/e
>greater damage than Sneak Attack: The Class and Rage: The Class
Haven't run the numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Shadow Monk 6 with Warlock 2 for Devil's Sight + Armor of Shadows (if WIS

New player here, first campaign:
My DM just threw some kind of dragon with necrotic breath and immunity to like all damage accept radiant. We managed to kill it but the DM says all of the gold has been "tainted by necrotic force where the dragon laid in it". Is there any way to cleanse this gold as a lvl 10 war cleric?

Also, been lurking for a while but am having trouble finding the 5e greentext funny story threads. What should I search for in the catalog? I know it's a dumb question so I decided to tack into something more meaningful.

>>>/reddit/

I thought about moving coordinated attack to level 11 and dropping the other two abilities down respectively so that the Beast Master gets three attacks at the same time the Fighter gets 3 attacks, removing the advantage on anyone who hasn't had a turn in combat, and restricting the humanoid favored enemy to 6 humanoids (in line with the PHB Ranger who maxes at 6 humanoids).

Eventually the other player just gave up on his character and is going to roll a new one. I'm prob gonna have the Beast Master be a mid to late level boss

Checking that specific metric would take math, so fuck that.

Even if it was higher, its hardly relevant unless its a statistical outlier by a significant margin.

Given all that, I would give up on the character, too.

by some happenstance I am DMing a party of 10 people. That last session was a total slog as I was'nt quite sure how to navigate this knew challenge.

any quick tips/hacks?

also, I have a pretty plot heavy game, how can I best incorporate new players?

Well yeah it is better. If either of them gets taken out thought they're both shit.

The whole idea is it combines two weak characters into a strong character, the Beast is the main damage dealer and the Ranger supports it.

It's strong but sure as shit isn't OP compared to other characters. Even with proficiency the pets Mental Saves will be pretty trash.

Split into two groups. I've tried to run an 8 player game before, and it was insane.

>We managed to kill it but the DM says all of the gold has been "tainted by necrotic force where the dragon laid in it"

This means your DM is an ass and probably didn't expect you to kill it/doesn't want you to get that gold

>muh feelings

Try again with logic, princess.

Still need DM version TftYP digital maps

Split into 2 groups of 5.

If you can't, then make sure everyone is taking quick turns. Anyone who can't declare an action, have the dice handy, and then give you a result within a few seconds of their round gets skipped. They get to go last. If they still can't decide, they skip their turn.

You'll have to make do with consulting the book and putting down markings where appropriate. The only reason the player maps got put up so fast is because they're ripped all at once from Roll20.

DM is an idiot. Party of level 10's are dangerous and can kill most dragons

Well the point is the companion gets prof bonus on attack, damage, and AC so it would top off at +10 attack, +10 damage, and 20+ AC. Under the assumption it can't get magic items that compares to a character who with a +3 weapon could get +13 attack and +8 damage (not counting bonus elemental damage). Plus it uses a reaction for the second attack. I guess the closest comparisons are an Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster (Gish classes like Ranger). Eldritch Knight gets 4 attacks and Arcane Trickster gets a max of two plus sneak attack damage. The companion is effectively an entire extra health pool with two decently strong attacks.

I don't think it's much to set the third attack at the same rate as other classes with three attacks. Getting bonuses to ALL humanoids seems game breaking. The Ambuscade seems too much, advantage on initiative seems good enough. Maybe give the rest of the ambuscade as a capstone.

So Beastmaaster. What's the best build?

Flying creature with me using a bow.
Damage dealing creature with me going Sentinel for defending it.
Or me as a Kobold riding around on a creature dual-wielding shortswords.

Companion gets advantage on all saves at level 7

Yeah 4 of us rolled the same number on d10s. So he had to summon the closest thing which was the boss. So we had him trapped out of his lair in a small corridor on his way back to his gold pile. I popped spirit guardians and when he exploded into shadows to escape, my guardians completely exterminated them. Any idea what kind of dragon this is? He's not totally unfair, if I do the research and come up with something plausible I could probably convince him to let me fix the gold. One thought I had was to completely melt it down and reform it.

>revised ranger
>ambuscade
????????

Also the companion will have a similar AC, HP, and possibly better saving throws than the Ranger but can't really die for long

You could try going on a quest to a great temple so you could consecrate the gold.

So it does. I think if anything I'd remove that.

Also with the Ranger down I'd treat the animal as... well an animal like it says. If it's a melee Ranger they will most likely take more hits then a dog or whatever, so if they ever get dropped or hit with a condition that takes him out for even a single round I'm taking the animals turn. It'll most likely attack the closest enemy flatout.

One thing to keep in mind is the Ranger most likely is doing 1d8+5 damage a round. They lose a lot for going Beastmaster but yes I'd rank it in the top 10 class options for sure.

You mean 1d8+1d6+5 right? Hunters Mark and all.

Revised Ranger gets advantage on initiative rolls and the get advantage on attacks during your first turn against anyone who hasn't had a turn yet. Anything I looked at described it as ambuscade.

I'd be concentrating on Spike Growth, Silence or any number of things. Hunter's Mark just ain't worth it latter on with only one attack.

Thank god the pet doesn't get hunter's mark damage though.

Ambuscade was a specific feature on the first ranger revision attempt, a 5-level class that was a large departure from the PHB ranger. It's often called the ambuscade ranger just because of how nuts that feature was.

Advantage on the first round for attacks should be delayed I reckon. Maybe add it onto the Hide in Plain sight at level 10?

Link to the PDF that contained it?

I plan on making a ranger that uses magic. I was able to pump my dexterity to 19 but I want the feat Ritual Caster. Is it worth dropping my dexterity to 17 in order to pick up some minor spells?

Seems cleaner to just remove their proficiency on saves so that you don't have to replace a full conclave level ability. Thought about removing proficiency bonus on damage but that simply keeps the companion level with people getting magic items.

Honestly it was all very annoying because I came up with an interesting quest involving the character helping a Fey demigod on a hunt and being rewarded with a blink dog companion and the player actually drew art for his character

People can talk about the balance all they want. In my next game I'm playing a Firbolg with a Giant Rat as my companion and no one can stop me from loving him.

Ah, now the terminology makes sense

I would move it to the capstone just for the sake of simplicity. The way I had it drawn up for revision was
3: Animal Companion
5: Beast's Defense
7: Storm of Claws and Fangs
11: Coordinated Attack
15: Superior Beast's Defense
Then add the first round advantage at 18 or at 20

Think I agree, but they're all pretty close

Good Revision. From a player's perspective I like it the way it is, but your revision is good enough that I wouldn't feel like I'm being cheated out of anything.

It's really not worth it.
You need 13 charisma.
You can't take advantage of agonizing+repelling blast properly.
You lose ki, which means less stunning strikes.
Hex is concentration. Monks are in some of the easiest positions to lose concentration.
Hex is a bonus action every time you move it. You're attacking less.
It's hard to justify the character. What sort of a wise monk goes around making pacts when they have ki?

Ultimately you're selling out just so you can get some weird devil's sight gimmick, and... You know, it's not entirely a terrible idea.
You get devil's sight and various temporary HP sources. That's about it, but that could be worth two levels.
Just don't expect anything much more than devil's sight and temporary HP, in exchange for 2 ki for less stuns (you'll be worse at your role as amonk) along with delayed progression (Eventually, there are some powerful monk features).

Do it if the character concept sounds fun, I guess.

If your party has a wizard, no. The wizard can do it all as rituals already from his book.
Otherwise, maybe.

Yeah, I know I don't need it. But I want to be an Arrow Wizard.

Honestly I didn't even realize the revised Beast Master allows two attacks at level 3 when I greenlit the class proactively. I immediately suggested pushing back coordinated attack to make it comparable to the Fighter's third attack (lvl 11). As DM I care less about balance and RAW as I do about my players having fun which is why for the friend who complained I had already greenlit UA stuff like the Mariner Fighting Style and him making a dagger bandelier that could apply poisons so I was 90% good with the revised ranger as written also

I guess you'd go for a damage focused build with that rather then Control like monks are made for. Dump Wisdom and use the Warlocks Armour of Shadows and max Dex asap.

Use all Ki to land 4 punches dealing Greatsword damage.

Alternatively, go Kensai so you don't need to use your bonus action as much. Put curses on people and hit for 3d6+10+DEX damage with GWM.

Kensai and Hexblade Warlock seem like they could work together.

I'm feeling that as well. Personally, I'd do 3 monk/X Hexblade just for some defence and the ability to use Cursebringer with Dex.

so whens the new source book coming out

Wait so does Curserbringer reduce the target speed every time you hit them, or only if you Smite? I thought it was only on Smite but now I'm not sure.

Only when you smite them.

Be mindful this will delay your Extra Attack until level 8, your Armor of Hexes till 13. Still, Cursebringer is strong and great flavor with Kensai, so there's that.

>dps
this isn't a video game faggot

I want to play a CN Fey.

Are there any resources on fey PCs beyond like 2 paragraphs in the DMG?

Duh, but try explaining the three pillars to a min/maxing powergaming player

There is the Firbolg from Volo's.

>three pillars
GNS?

Can an elf and an orc have a child? Or are they too different biologically

Explain the way to the exit to them

I've read some foreign comics that say yes

Depends on the setting

It will be a Half-Orc.

I.. don't think that's what I mean.

Is there anything else for fey in general?

you can refluff a half-elf/orc whichever might suit you

I dunno what GNS is. I was referencing Social/Exploration/Combat. Even if Beast Master had better combat potential than a Rogue (which isn't true at high level) the Rogue has much better social potential by the numbers. They both have similar exploration potential.

>Dealing more damage than rogues

Wow

How terrible
It's not like every martial aside from monk does more damage or anything.

Also, were they accounting that barbarian can give themself advantage and use GWM+PAM?

So does Stone Sorcerer pretty much come down to spam Quickened and Twinned BB/GFB, Shield and either Haste or Elemental Weapon?

Seems like I'll have a lot of spell choice I can use for Utility.

Oh. GNS is Gamist Narrativist Simulationist

Take two levels of paladin.

I'm allowed to use the spell point variant in exchange for the deal I wouldn't dip anything. My DM counts taking less then 4 levels as a dip and I'm not giving up 4 levels of delaying my better buff spells.

Is it worth taking 3 levels in rogue to get assassinate and poison kit proficiency as a College of Whispers Bard. I wan't to be more effective in combat (and the fact that I don't have poison use for a spy type character is weird). or do straight bard spells make up for it?

Not really. He was using pretty basic math which is where that class shines because of the raw numbers due to 3 attacks, two of which get a proficiency bonus to damage. It falls apart a bit once you include magic weapons and other abilities. Part of the reason he sperged out was we question PAM on one of his characters because ot makes no sense to get 10 ft reach the spin the weapon around to get a haft attack at 10ft reach. Makes even less sense that he was making these attacks through a friendly unit's square. The DM ruled against him even though we were't asking for a rule change but more brought it up as a confusing concept

Honestly do you want to be a Whisper Bard, a stealthy caster or an Spy/Assassin?

If you want to be a Whisper Bard then the dip is worth it, a stealthy caster shouldn't dip it and an Assassin/Spy should just be a Changeling Assassin with your Sneak Attack damage reflavored as poisons except for the rare times you actually buy some.

Why the hell would you use the Spell Points system on a Sorcerer?

Because one of the key parts of a widely suggested fix is to make Sorcerer's Spell point and combine it with their Sorcery Points. Let's them blow a big load if needed, play all day long with little spells and use meta magic more freely.

Their whole fluff is about being a well of untrained magic, makes more sense when they're given a playground of Magic to use how they want. Also makes them feel dramatically different then a Wizard.

Also means I don't need to spend a bonus action to convert slots and stuff.

>Let's them blow a big load if needed
>a big load

For you

>makes no sense to get 10 ft reach the spin the weapon around to get a haft attack at 10ft reach. Makes even less sense that he was making these attacks through a friendly unit's square.

It makes no sense to fire 8 arrows in 6 seconds but fighters can do it without any feats. The system abstracts supernatural levels of prowess, and you shouldn't change the rules on the fly to apply reasonings like "I can't visualize myself physically doing that therefore it shouldn't be possible in this magic fantasy world."

Personally we had the same issue come up with a Ranger using a whip. I let it fly because if he's getting attacked by a swarm then any damage spell will do the same thing.

Polearm I'd be iffy about, but I'd allow it with the exception they can't GWM -5 attack for +10 damage on it.

Get back to juggling a mouse on a wrist strap to determine the amount of free actions someone can take, bonehead.

The default spell points method still limits you to a single 6-7-8-9 slot, just so you are aware.

Personally, i use combined spell/sorcery points, and mimic warlock 6+ spell progression, and allow sorcerers to upcast into 6+ slots as they choose once able.

Yeah, I don't particularly mind that one this character. I'm really just going for a BB/GFB spam machine with buff spells. Only a few upper level spells I'd consider taking anyway.

On a real Sorcerer your fix is most likely a good choice though.

Except it is possible to fire 8 arrows in 6 seconds. I guess it is possible to flip a polearm too but it's incredibly awkward. Regardless, the point was we didn't even suggest a rule change outside of not being able to use the haft attack through someone else's square which is indeed impossible

Oh brother, I was there. This is was the moment I did a double-take and quit Pathfinder.

I'm not sure. he's more jaqen h'ghar than little finger but he is a manipulator diplomancer type based on the stats he already has.
+sneak attack on fear spells
+poison use
+assassinate in non combat

- skill/proficiency overlap
- 1 6th and 7th level spell
- no bard capstone

What. The. Fuck. I mean I know I'm a person with a biased outlook, but isn't this animal cruelty? The way he describes it... Doesn't sound nice at all.

honestly thought this was a joke photoshop that went over my head at first

Different guy. I prefer the flexibility. It means I can use shield or thunderous smite more times a day without dipping into higher level spell slots. Or blow it all on fireballs if I want to.

Are there any drawbacks I'm not seeing?

For the record this was a joke post.

Doesn't make the actual truth of PF devs' insane ideas of what "balance" and "realism" are, though.

Well shit I am apparently.

For Prestidigitation, it says it has a duration of 1 hour. Does that mean that if I use it to light a fire, the fire will go out after 1 hour?

Also, is it possible to spread said fire? Say, if I lit a torch, then threw it into grease or some similar flammable substance, could that ignite the substance?

Gimme creative ideas for that and Minor Illusion please

PAM seems GM dependent to me since the haft attack doesn't specify reach and logically GWM assumes you are using the weapon as intended

Make a character that's 5ft tall and then you can create an illusory wall to hide from sight. You know it's an illusion, so you can see through it, but enemies won't be able to tell until either
1- they waste their action investigating
Or 2- they see you attack through it
This allows you to buy time while you drink a potion, cast a buff, etc

You'll need to be shorter than 5ft if you like wearing hats