/btg/ Battletech General!

---------------------------------
Mecha Kool-Aid Man cometh, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: =================================

BattleTech video-game pre-alpha gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – UPDATED (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

(new)
bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-02-13 - Still getting worked on & now has 11079 pics!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord server, etc.) Last updated 2017-03-26!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Lyrans best house

He's probably annoyed because a similar comment pops up once a thread.

I just started ignoring them because virtually every time I asked the person who they were or what they submitted they ignored me and continued to bitch about the TRO.

Why is this Isis Marik?

A'ight, I'll start adding names to them for identification purposes.

Well that went well. The Taurians picked a fight with one of my company command lances and got their heads handed to them by the dice. They deployed an assault lance and two vehicle lances, all veterans, against my company command lance of 6 mechs.

The map turned out to be a sort of high-walled crater which turned the fight into a massive brawl. All of my mechs were missing at least half of their armour and assorted important bits by the end of it. The first enemy Stalker succumbed to overwhelming firepower and had it's head knocked out by several large lasers. The second Stalker fumbled a piloting roll and fell over, which allowed me to surrounded it and kick it in the head with another Stalker. The Awesome got really unlucky and took an AC20 to the head from my company commander's King Crab. The last Stalker was a cheeky fucker who knocked out one of my mechs with a triple engine TAC. But I got my revenge when when he got hit in the head with an PPC that scored another triple crit, knocking out the sensors, life support and cockpit, and forcing the enemy pilot to eject like a jack in the box.

I think this is the only time I've ever managed to headcap all 4 members of the same lance.

Does anybody here knows how exactly do artillery canons work? Can I target a hex with them? Does this hex need to be on ground or can I shoot into air? How to calculate final to hit modifier for this weapon?

>dat Hatamoto-Chi

I want one.

Here's a higher resolution version for you.

I like your work very much. However has there ever been an explanation as to why the Hata and even the Charger only has one hand? I mean, wry, gaijin?

Cheers.

Damn, those bits of shoulder armour and the faulds look a lot better when they're done in that Japanese armour style.

IIRC the dildo battlehand is there because the Hatamoto-Chi was built off the Charger chassis, and since the Charger has the dildo hand, the HTM got it as well.

>IIRC the dildo battlehand is there because the Hatamoto-Chi was built off the Charger chassis, and since the Charger has the dildo hand, the HTM got it as well.

I kind of knew that part of the history, but why the missing hand when it's not ribbed for her pleasure nor vibrates? Wouldn't it be helpful even if you were stuck with the original crap-Charger to have a second battle fist?

Forgot to add: I guess the dildo hand is used simply because there's fewer bits to break/malfunction in that bullet-shaped thing than in a proper hand.

You still get the raw penetration, remember that the laser in that arm is in the tip. Also the Charger does have the barrel fist quirk, which means it suffers no penalty from lacking the hand actuator.

Started work on that Avatar.

Will prolly need to slim down the sides and widen the central nose portion.

I'm guessing the appearance reminds him of the description of her.

Really?

This is how I imagined her.

>implying that random anons didn't submit the best mechs ever that we just outright ignored.

Anyway, I found the 42 MG archer while searching for something else, so have that.

Not him but a bunch I submitted were rejected for being too boring and optimal, and then not long after that the Thane was posted which was both more optimised than what I sent in and, IMP, more boring.

But hey. It's your money at the end of the day, and it'll still be better than anything CGL puts out this year.

I'm talking stuff that makes the Thane look lowbrow, like iATMs everywhere.

Thanks

Looking forward to this

Commandos and Cicadas got their redraws

40 tons is really the sweet spot for good detail on a sprite, 25 ton mechs are such a zzz, quick though.

I didn't reject anything because it was too optimal, but there were a ton that made us all yawn when we looked at the sheet.

I'd say at least a quarter of the total submissions were Clan Assaults.

I put in a few lights, some mediums, and some heavies along with a couple of vehicles.

You have any Cicada customs Muninn? I seem to remember you sorta liked it.

>I'd say at least a quarter of the total submissions were Clan Assaults

It's Dark Age. There's no reason to use anything but Clantech except in the narrow cases where IS-tech equipment gives you options that Clan equipment doesn't. Likewise, assaults are just better and more interesting than other weight classes. Most players judge a Mech by the amount of firepower it can put out and the amount of damage it can take, and assaults are the best at both of those things.

You just don't understand what players actually want.

This one I like.

Only now realized that the machine guns are in the side torsos.

>Not having only 40 MGs and 3 tons of ammo for more endurance in your dakka.

Son, you don't want to blow your load too fast. If you're going to MG cum all over somebody, you want it to last.

Oh for fuck's sake, I take down the Victor who'd shot out two of mine and the driver does this as a final "fuck you".

The best part: I captured this one and she had the brass neck to actually offer her services to me. Since she'd already proven her skills, I took her on. I just hope she stays away from those three she gave a beating to for a while.

I fucking love gyro crits. I also love turning off TACs and using the advanced hit locations instead. Its a tough choice though.

Anyone know what version of MekHq will let you customize your rides? I just stole a summoner and I really want to shove it's CLPL in my griffin.

Also on tech ratings which is higher tech F or A? I thought F meant garbage mechs, but I think I done goofed.

The current version of MHQ that's out (42.1 is the most recent dev, but I haven't check in a couple of weeks), has a bug with customization, unless you have a save from before that version. You can modify with refit kits, but not the MekLab.

>Also on tech ratings which is higher tech F or A? I thought F meant garbage mechs, but I think I done goofed.
F is higher for part/unit quality, A is higher for unit rating (as in an A Rated, Elite Skilled unit). Yes it's confusing.

Thank you.

So I need an older version than 42.1 and I can not port my save back to an older version. I will need to start over in the older MekHq. Does this sound correct?

As far as I know, it's fixed in the development snapshot 43.0, you're just running the risk of using a dev snapshot rather than a stable. Of course, MHQ is relatively stable anyway these days, so there's no real harm in moving up to the new version. I just tend not to update except to stables because I have 1700 customs, all the sprites to fit those sprites and spriteanon additions, and the mechsets to copy. If you don't have that much, copying is much easier.

>Does anybody here knows how exactly do artillery canons work?
Yeah, but take this with a grain of salt because the website is down right now and I can't check the most recent errata. This is based on the 3.5 errata.

>Can I target a hex with them?
Yes, as with any weapon, you can target a hex -
BUT you >never< get the -4 "immobile target" modifier. That applies whether firing on a hex or an actual immobile target like a building/shut-down 'Mech. They scatter like artillery at half distance on a missed shot regardless of target.

>Does this hex need to be on ground or can I shoot into air?
They're treated as ordinary ballistics, albeit with the AE ability; they have an AoE of 1 hex, don't hit adjacent hexes when fired into the air, and they don't scatter if they miss.

>How to calculate final to hit modifier for this weapon?
If you're firing directly, just use the standard modifiers like an autocannon would, but ignoring the Immobile Target mod. If firing indirectly, it acts like an LRM or Thunderbolt missile, it just scatters if it misses and does AoE damage.

Turkina Z when

Ran out of characters with that somehow.
Anyway, the weird bits are all specific fixes to remove player tactics that were broken.

First off, people were using artillery, mortars, and cannon to counter fast lights by shotgunning hexes and letting the AoE whittle them away. I agree it's a little counter-intuitive to do away with the modifier entirely, but frankly it's easy enough to hit a hex to begin with and no-one is going to be aiming for specific body parts with them anyway.

The "no ammo except standard arty cannon ammo" thing was a specific "Fuck You" to one of the deisgners, who tried to back-door tactical nukes into a LTAC for the Regulans. I thought it was funny as Hell, but Herb, alas, disagreed (making it the only time Herb has ever said "no" to a nuke..).

The air-to-air and surface-to-air not getting AoE thing is just because Air hexes are technically the size of entire BT boards.

Most players think gausswall on two mapsheets is the best way to play, so I'm not sure why you want to appeal to player opinions.

You could build the custom in MLL, and it'll show up as a 'refit kit' in MHQ
It's how I get around that bug

Technically that's cheating the system, as refit kits are high production items (like canon variants, or designs you use a lot in house games or whatever), but yes that's another option.

What's the M3 Medium Tank of mechs in BattleTech?

And has anyone converted WWII tanks into BT tanks for the tabletop?

The Grand Titan Cray wrote about has an actual artillery piece, not a Cannon. But Herb did get shitty about it because reasons.

I have one or two I can post later if you want. I have a soft spot for the Cicada.

Yeah actually I did a few. I can't access my PC right now though.

Look up XTRO: 1945.

How does /btg/ store and/or display their models?

is the bt tabletop any good? serious question
how much prep would it take to do an online pick up and play with my friends

This from Ikea

I like to add in a few custom sprites on ones I feel came out well, so yeah, that would be swell.

Nomenclature is everything, but assuming you mean A Time of War/Mechwarrior RPG and not the tabletop wargame, a pretty decent amount of prep. There are other people here that can go in more depth but it is a crunchy system and designed to interlock with the wargame. I could see a roll20/maptools-mekhq-MegaMek campaign being pretty fun though. I would direct you to the A Time of War section on the OF but it appears to be down atm.

After I get a couple other of the doodles done.

Well here's one of them I dug up. It was made for that discussion we had about Cappies and AC/20s a while back as an example. Meant to be a 3050-style upgrade of the PPC/Machine Gun Knees variant the Cappies have in the 4th SW.

Oh gosh, an Avatar I actually like the look of. I didn't think I'd see the day.

>How does /btg/ store and/or display their models?
>Transport
I took an old-ass movie camera case and replaced the internal foam, then gave it a coat of OD Green spray, some stencils, and a shot of hardcoat. It can fit two regiments and my entire collection of paper maps, or I can fit a battallion or two and all the basic books plus a 2x2 set of hexpacks.

I also have a couple ammo cans for playing company-level games, but I didn't bother stenciling and hardcoating them.

>Storage
Painted models go in the big hardcase. Unpainted models and terrain are usually foam-packed in Tupperware shoeboxes. If they're metal I have them parted out into plastic bags in a Plamo. Active projects wind up on the shelves over my desk or in plastic bags magnetized to the whiteboard behind it. (pic related)

>Molds
Stored wrapped with thin layers of labelled waxed paper. It keeps the silicone from bonding to itself when it gets hot and damp out. This being Washington State, that's more often than one would prefer.

>Display
I rotate things I'm especially proud of through the desktop shelf or (very occasionally) put a few up up in the living room on the DVD bookcases.

My BT loose/unpainted minis and terrain.

I'd buy a few, it's like a Blitzkreig had drunk sex with a Locust.

And the hardcase.

>is the bt tabletop any good? serious question
>how much prep would it take to do an online pick up and play with my friends
If you mean the RPG, character generation is a pain in the ass and the books are an utter clusterfuck, but the game itself is playable. Online prep consists mostly of getting Discord, a hex-table simulator, and MegaMek if you want to do mech-scale combat.

Double glorious, adding the Avatar to your best ever rendition of list. You are winning. I am so spriting this shit right fucking now. So I can re-enact that one PLOG illustration in MM

Yeah, that's fun and thematic. I need see if stealth armor and its ECM suite fit for maximum Cap.

Given that their still technically single heat sinks, can industrial mechs use compact heat sinks?

Does anyone edit the forces that ATB assembles?
It was throwing a trinary with an extra star against a pair of mech lances. That seemed a bit excessive to me, so I paired it down.

Here, have the finished one.

Fantastic job. Would pilot. Looks like an evolution of the old Archer.
You honestly need a nickname like our Pencil-bro or Sprite-bro guys or something.

An Avatar to be glad to be caught driving. Well done, drawfag, you make your people proud.

Nope. No errata, so they're still restricted to BattleMech only. You could try asking in the ask-the-writers section of the official boards - once they come back up, anyway - but I sincerely doubt they're gonna cut you slack on that one. The intent is to fuck Industrials on heat control, full stop.

Damn, looks great
Would you be interested in doing the Hound? The TRO illustration is fine, I just think it might look good in your style, plus there was a /btg/-suggested variant that dumps the SRM-4 to make the LBX into a 20, and that deserves an illustration of it's own

Who is that semen daemon?

That's unfortunate, because really the only use for compact heat sinks I can see are industrials who can only mount singles.

Actually, on this topic, I can't seem to power amplifiers in megalab. Am I searching in the wrong tab or are they just not included?

They're added automatically

When do the Feddies start producing really based mech designs? Not ones the Lyrans give/sell them, but home built ones.

The AFFS selection around 3025 was pretty mediocre looking. A bunch of Valkyries, some Centurions, bugs, Enforcers and Riflemen/JagerMechs. IIRC their assault options were anemic and almost entirely limited to what was being built on Quentin, a world they traded regularly with the Snakes.

When did that all change?

Their basic introtech energy boat designs are nothing to sneeze at, user. So always.

Also their production, like everyone else's,has been retconned including putting the Devastator into mass production by 3044.

>When do the Feddies start producing really based mech designs?
In the leadup to the Civil War.

>Mechlist
They also had Longbows, of course. Not really the best thing ever, but it is built on a Rifleman chassis so it's easy to repair and keep fed.

Mostly, the early FS shines when they're polishing turds. They start makinn the good shit in 3055 - the Watchman, Falconer, Penetrator and Stealth are all pretty good in their roles, and even the Fireball is at least fun to use. But when 3058/3060 rolls around, they get handed ALL THE GAUSS RIFLES and basically go nuts. In particular, a bunch of really nasty designs get handed to GM to replace the now-Unseen Marauder, and all of them are utter beasts. Plus the main characters in MW4 are FedSuns-ish, so a lot of the good shit from that era went that way too.

They didn't get >all< the good designs. But a disproportionate amount of the crap went to everyone else, and no small amount of the scariest stuff - even ones that went to other states - also went to the Suns.

Which introtech designs of theirs do you mean?

Most of the -D refits pull weapons that use ammo for heat sinks, armour, or both.

Muh A/Cs was a full-on meme until FM: FS and the introduction of R-A/Cs, before then the archetypal Davion refit was a flashbulb and their advanced tech had a lot of GRs.

Shadow Hawk 2D

Somehow I never caught that. Interesting.

Say I'm AUing things up just slightly for a campaign
How do I de-fuck the 3058 FedCom mech distribution disaster without outright retconning them out of existence, since I don't mind the designs themselves?

Why? They're the merger of two states with the best tech and economy. It may be "unfair" but it makes sense. It's not like Xin Sheng.

> It's not like Xin Sheng.
it is worse

Ehhheeheheh.

FedCom strength made sense. Xin Sheng didn't. You don't have to like the FedCom but there's no denying facts.

Things I don't like are fiat.

Spread them around a little and make them rarer. Make the really good stuff the kind of thing you only really see aces and the occasional social general drive
Drac Nightstars and FWL pillagers wouldn't change things too drastically but would make it just a bit more even

I don't recognize your "facts" as having any legitimacy. In a comparison between the FedCom merger and the Xin Sheng movement, the only one which is at all justifiable is Xin Sheng.

Things you like are also fiat.

Things I like, however, are justified and good writing.

>Make the really good stuff the kind of thing you only really see aces and the occasional social general drive
So go full /m/ and make them super prototype/Ace Custom shit? Sounds workable

Xin Sheng, Citizen :^D

>0.05 porchbux have been transferred to your account

It's like I never left /ptg/!

What's your favorite pre-Jihad Davion BattleMech?

Like actual Davion and not some SL machine, either classic or revived?

Probably Sagittaire or Templar. Jagermech II is pretty great too.

Reposting

Yeah I meant an actual Davion one.

PLOG NOOOO!
Hide it! Hide it from the lawyers!

I'm a trooper kinda guy, so I'm pretty fond of the Enforcer and Centurion

Shouldn't it be a flag of a subliminal goatse?

I've never played Battletech in real life and never intend to. The game looks like such a long mess with so much to keep track of. The miniatures up until very recently looked ugly as sin. The thought of getting an SRM Carrier into 3 hexes of a Mech and then having the game stop for all the hit locations sounds terrible. I just happened upon Megamek one day and thought it was amazing. I really enjoy the Battletech setting and lore, and have even bought multiple Battletech sourcebooks to give Catalyst money. I just think the real life game will never be my thing and love that Megamek is an automated turn based strategy game.

Forgive me /btg/.

>Enforcer
Speaking of, I've been messing around with a 3025 variant with two LLs and more sinks and armor, and it's actually really good. I'm thinking of it as an outback kinda variant of the thing