Modern General

SHARDLESS AGENT AND STRIX NOW EDITION

Playing?

Hating?

How about having supplmental products in modern?

Expecting anything good from Amonkhet?

Best basic lands?

Expecting any meta changes with Amonknet?

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

>Expecting anything good from Amonkhet?

Just hoping to crack force of will and play it in limited for the lulz.

>How about having supplmental products in modern?
I could take it or leave it. On the one hand, it would infuse some much needed cards into the format and lead some drastic metagame changes. On the other, it would bring Modern one huge step closer to Legacy, and at that point, why not just play legacy?

Expecting? No. Hoping? Some spicy instants/sorceries. Maybe something good for UGx decks or something to spice up Burn a little. But I'm mostly expecting disappointment and sadness.

>Best basic lands?
Pic related is my favorite island. Too bad I can only use it in EDH.

Agent would actually give people a reason to go UG, I'd be for it

I just traded a 4 color saheeli deck for 3 verdant catacombs (one foil), 2 marsh flats, 1 misty and 1 tarn. Did I do good? Trying to trade all my standard shill for modern stuff.

You did good just on the principle of getting the fuck out of standard.

Are you a child?
>validate meeeee!

Nope.
You should have sold it for money, then buy Chinamen fakes and spend the rest on the cheap cards

>he says while posting anonymously where his post will be deleted forever in a few hours

Yep. Nobody should ever post because you're anonymous and won't be remembered forever. Kys

Brewing up a tribal flames deck with snapcasters over grim flayer as I find them mediocre.
The reach has been insane and the deck has a strong game against DSJ.

Anyone played domain zoo lists? Looking for suggestions. I have a siege rhino as my curve topper. Would huntmaster or something else be

>shardless in modern
Are you trying to quintuple the price of incestral vision?

Clearly user is trying to make Living end more consistent

Burn and decks like it aren't as good against DSJ as you think they might be.

I just want to play Sultai in modern ;_;

Good thing I already have my AVs for legacy :^)

>incestral vision
user I don't think thats right

I dunno, kind of depends on if they're sisters.

10 damage is a little different then a bolt

Honestly I'm done lurking this shit thread. Seriously I'm so fucking sick of these China man retards, they ruin every fucking thread.
inb4 nice blog
inb4 cry more
inb4 no one cares
I'm just real tired of it, there's pretty much zero more magic discusiion, it's just someone asking for a suggestion on something and then some retard going on about china men and anyone buying actual cards is a retard. It has nothing to do with the game, the modern thread was never great, but I literally cannot even force myself to read this shit anymore. Fucking cancer.

One post is mentioning chinaman. How about contribute. Fucking baby

The only thing I'm expecting to be good is the new gods, and that's mainly just for EDH.
>Best basic lands?
For regular basics, I dig most of John Avons work, especially pic related. For full arts, I'm also a sucker for his Unhinged lands. In my Bant Eldrazi List I'm running Zendikar full arts because I'm a vorthos faggot

Oh look, the guy who just posts Costanza.jpeg is leaving
I won't miss your green text garbage

How does Tron fair against the Deaths Shadow decks?

>how does a deck that can't do shit before turn 3 do against a deck that can potentially kill on turn 3
Nigga how the fuck do you think it does?

Not even him but fuck off you prick. You're cancer

Bought my red expertise yesterday. Time to punish the shit out of people for playing Exert cards.

>red expertise
You're only punishing yourself with that

>steals your goyf

>Bought my red expertise yesterday. Time to punish the shit out of people for playing Exert cards.
... You must be mistaken, this is the Modern thread, not standard.

Dude it's Jund. You only need to worry about people bringing white for Path or Souls or something.

Jund is awful against tron

Don't most DSJ lists splash white for sideboard souls anyway?

>Jund is awful against tron

Traditional Jund is, DS Jund is great vs Tron

>that can potentially kill on turn 3
But never does what with the 4 Paths and boarded Blessed Alliances on the other side and 0-2 Temur Battle Rages on yours. The matchup is a breeze since you can't lose if you go any removal pointed at Shadow to any payoff card and Tarmogoyf does nothing through Relics and RIPs.

That was kinda my point. I meant DSJ bringing white. Junk does better than Jund against Tron. Not that the matchup isn't still massively in Tron's favour. Especially now that we've got GB Tron playing Fatal Push.

>Go to an 8 person MM17 draft with a group of people I mostly haven't played with before
>Draft GW Populate with Splicer/Golems
>Go 3-0, don't even lose a game
>Pull a Marsh Flats from Prize booster
>Feel bad about coming in to a group of new people and smashing them completely

Still had fun though.

Stop spreading misinformation.

>GW tron
user, that is the bad version of the deck
GB tron is what you play if you want to win.

Lol what? You might want to check your top8 lists again. Path is better removal and white has an actual sideboard whereas black doesn't and Brutality is meh vs anything but Burn.

>DS Jund is great
It is better but not great. Stupid namefag

He's not wrong, though. Game 1, you can kill on turn 3, which I've done a few times.
Games 2 and 3, you can basically Green Sun's Zenith for Fulminators.

>guys I can kill on turn 3 if i draw my singleton TBR

I play 2 since I don't suck, and the deck has consistency out the ass

>grim flayer as I find them mediocre.
Lel
Other than goyf, what 2cmc that would replace flayer??

Man I just can't git gud at drafting. I went 0-3 last Friday with an Esper flicker deck that I thought was pretty good, I can't even tell what I did wrong. I started a few months ago and I feel like I understand everything but clearly I'm missing something.

I pulled a Liliana though so it wasn't too bad.

>Esper
Found your mistake

NEVER play reactively in a limited environment.

This isn't true. I did just fine building bfz reactive decks.
It's true for the most part but not always

If all you got is good blue cards then sure play reactive, but if you go in with the mindset of Gx midrange you'll generally do better.

Is this a pro-china man post?

I hope you realize that counterfeit cards are illegal, the cards are the intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast, and every single card must have their approval to be printed. both the likeness and the logos and the game mechanics, everything is All Rights Reserved to Wizards of the Coast ONLY.

If you are caught using counterfeit cards in a DCI-Sanctioned event you will receive a Game Loss and if you can't quickly replace them with legitimate cards (very hard to do in older events where the value of the cards serves as a barrier of entry and gives due respect to the original collectors), you will be disqualified.

Holy shit learn to read. Moron.

I can read just fine, you said the people criticizing and replying to chinaman cause problems and make the threads go to shit. I am saying they are right to get mad at him

>I can read just fine
Apparently not

Scooze, Tasugir

I'm going to convert my Jeskai Nahiri deck to a Grixis deck cause RWU Nahiri is total garbagefire now. However it seems theres like 3 Grixis decks now, delver, control, or a version that plays death's shadow. What are the reasons to play one over the other? Which ones the best atm?

My meta has been drifting towards eldrazi and tron cancer so I got like 5 or 6 on tron/eldrazi, 4 Naya burn, 3 rock decks and a handful of random tier 2 decks.

So it's been confirmed by my local stores that stores were offered three or even more times Wizards' WPN allocation, all their re-orders of MM3 were fulfilled. But Wizards has officially confirmed fucking nothing. They didn't tell us there would be more product and thus kept the price where it was.

Is this shit selling in your stores? Because it sure as hell isn't here. How long will it take for Modern attendance to increase because with the previous MM product it never really did even a year down the road.

Seriously, fuck this product. It does fucking nothing. A couple token drafts happen but that's it. It costs $25 tickets to draft this shit online.

In regards to proxies, promoting the Chinaman wouldn't happen if it being a cost-effective and convenient alternative solution to getting cards vastly outweighs the ethical benefits to supporting Wizards.

Like, think about it, most decks cost more than a video game; in fact most decks cost more than a goddamn console. Do you know how much fucking time value you get out of a video game? Granted, I think video games are grossly underpriced for the value they give, but the reality stands.

>video games are grossly underpriced for the value they give,
I can't take you seriously

I think he's one of those $1 = 1 hour cucks.

Boxes flew off the shelves for 280 canuck bucks (that's after tax mind you) down here in Toronto. I'm still holding out for an EMA style price drop but it's looking less feasible.

I don't mind too much since I already own most of the singles I'd want from the set, but the draft environment is legitimately fun.

rate my fresh OC

Replace interactive with balanced and then->than
Probably falling for a bait but fuck it.

Thoughtknot should have his own column for turn 2 plays

Picked up BGX and have been rolling with it for a few weeks.

top 4'd a mini-GPT last night, not bad. the deck just loses to bad topdecks and opening hands. funnily enough i lost to the decks i sold to make BGX

I just want preordain so i don't need to run white border shit

>Is this shit selling in your stores?
Yes like fucking nuts
Just to other week there were four or five drafts going on at the same time pretty much all day long.
Mind you I live in Canada, so paying 30 bucks to draft mm3 is actually well below MSRP so that might be a deciding factor.

fixed

there is nothing wrong with eldrazi

Which Toronto store are you buying them from user? Face to Face? Because just two weeks ago they were selling them for 240 a box

Do i run leyline or blood moons for UR storm sideboard?

kek

You could always use the other art

isn't it beautiful?

I'm more autistic about card art than borders, which saves me from this abomination

Fucking neither, they slow down the combo, and leyline inst even that good against the decks you'd bring it in for. You need to protect your guy more than issues with him being discarded away. Noxious revival is better than either of those, and i dont think that has a place in the sideboard.

Really just run an unburial rites package in the board, you already have the gifts and ramp

>hedron drawing on the piece of paper

Zendikar foreshadowed since Portal?!!?

eidolon

Preordain is a staple. And it's a staple Wizards just doesn't want around. The comparison to the Eldrazi and Karn is not exactly fair as those cards require a build-around. The fairer comparison is the Tron lands to Preordain.

Preordain is as much a staple as Inquisition, Bolt, Path, Goyf, Mana Leak, Remand, Liliana, or even the Fetch/Shock combination; these are the glue that hold decks together. And Wizards just doesn't want the sort of hand quality that Preordain grants.

The question is, is hand quality THAT big a problem? Are the combo decks just taken over the edge because of it? That's what they claim. If you want to make an argument for Preordain you have to prove that it takes whatever Combo that exists right now over the edge but that's not exactly easy to do given that it's been banned for nearly six fucking years.

7th edition is the best version desu

I wish Wizards would just fucking pull the trigger and ban grapeshot already so we can have preordain back.

Am I the only one who doesn't mind this verison? I think it looks kinda neat

delete this

I like it because it's art that looks busy both in the background and the character's clothes. The current art feels sterile with nature backgrounds or just random messy shit in the background. They're just too occupied with keeping to the style guide, which there is nothing wrong with, but the style guide creates nothing memorable.

I'm just thinking about the Eldrazi recently. Aside from the Bizmuth ones the art on a lot of them make them out to just be lumps of grey tentacles with that red Emrakul webbing. They don't exert any of the horror or power that the first set's Eldrazi exhibited.

I totally get one of the big reasons why preordain is banned is wizards being afraid that it'll make combo decks to good. However personally I think it's not going to be as horrible. Twin is banned, and Storm is really neutered after the Probe ban. A preordain unban might be enough to make RUG scapeshift a real deck again and maybe the preferred version of the deck over the RG version, and it will definitely enhance Ad Nauseum. However I think preordain will help make control decks actually good again which in turn will help keep the combo decks down.

So I think preordain will overall help with the meta, by restoring balance to the archetypes by giving both control and combo a shot in the arm. Combo could help police all the big mana decks thats slowly taking over, and in turn control will help police combo whilst providing the big mana decks and midrange/aggro decks their good match ups to keep them relevant.

>Storm is really neutered after the Probe ban
No, now storm is somehow even more linear and also good

Guys, what's the most annoying competitive deck ATM?

If the goal is to elevate Combo decks, I would actually rather do it not by adding cards like Preordain but just nixing the power and consistency of other decks by killing their staples. If combo is to be desired, give it time and consistency to draw into the spells it needs by slowing down the others.

I would actually like it if they removed all the no-effort staples like Bolt, Thoughtseize, and Path. Preordain feels no-effort like those cards. Inquisition and Fatal Push are narrow but not universal. It would be interesting because it would mean that larger creatures and high-cost spells can't be touched without a bigger mana investment (like Doom Blade variants). I think it would be great if it wasn't for the fact that Planeswalkers are so fucking strong at the 4+ mana mark and would be elevated as well.

I feel that Goyf is somewhat a problem as well as aside from Push, there isn't really a good card that answers it or the deck it's in cleanly for a 2-mana creature. So in my dream world it would have to go too. As would some parts of Burn and Affinity for the sake of slowing them down.

Won't happen.

Holy fucking shit this post gave me cancer. Kill yourself

I like most of Phil Foglio's stuff but Sleight of Hand always looked bad to me. A bit too cluttered, and the colors of the card don't mesh at all with the colors of the illustration. Plus the dude's face just looks off.

Fuck off.

The game would be better served if people like you who want to fuck with others for a night for trolling purposes didn't exist.

Go play some video games, it's easy enough to grief there.

Go play standard or frontier you fucking baby, if they banned literally any of those cards, modern wouldn't be modern

does aristocrats exist in modern?

is it at least FNM playable?

Closest good thing to aristocrats would be Abzan Chord but it's less aristocrats and more infinite combos

It exists and is playable but you might as well play abzan coco at that point desu

>Storm is really neutered after the Probe ban.

>durr guys lets make tier 3+ decks better by banning all the good cards!

Hello Desolator

this probably isn't an original idea but has anyone tried a GW Eldritch Evo deck with dorks into Eldrazi/value 4 and 5 drops with some displacers for more value?

The thought of blinking a Thragtusk gets me hard af

Is this the birth of a brand new meme?

I hate retards like you

You play your fucking tier 20 Craw Wurm deck and complain when it gets pathed

Did the thought ever cross your mind that if they banned Thoughtseize then people would just play the next best thing?

>ban goyf
>the next best 2 mana beater becomes the new goyf
>ban that card cause op dude
>repeat

Off yourself

I feel like you'd just be better served playing Bant Eldrazi at that point

What's the point though?
If you can unburial rites combo then you could have used storm.
Might as well use the sideboard to protect the regular storm combo from hate instead of doing a different one.

Stop giving @52438978 (You)'s retards.

Is there any decent Kiln Fiend brew out there? Feel like giving fire doggo a chance.