Anyone have a list of bans/taboos for magicians?

Anyone have a list of bans/taboos for magicians?

Things like:

>Powerless in rain
>Spellcasting causes a thunderclap
>Must wear the skin of an animal at all times
>Forbidden from eating vegetables

I once forced a player to roleplay being Vegan or lose all of their powers until they received an Atonement.

Forcing a player into it is kind of a dick move; letting them choose powers/spells and then applying bans as the price of this power is more fun.

>The wizard has spent months preparing for this day
>The day he assaults the Dark Lord's fortress
>He has set traps, prepared many a scroll and wand
>He cuts through the nameless goons like a hot knife through butter
>He seals the level bosses with trapping spells
>He finally reaches the Dark Lord's throne room
>"Foolish mortal, have you come to challenge me? Many have tried, all have per-"
>"Nah, just wanted to tell you I'm vegan."
>"..."
>"You should really try it, bro. Might help with those agression issues of yours."

Simbly epin :'^)

Chicken isn't vegan?

BEAUTIFUL!

>forbidden from eating vegetables
>must wear the skin of an animal at all times

Actually, I could see that for, say, some kind of shifter. Has to wear the skin of the animal whose form he/she takes, and in a more general sense has to adhere to its diet. So if you want a bull form, better get those hides and horns on and get used to grass. You want a vulture? Feather cloak and carrion for you. Crocodile? Gotta get those scales and eat those anything-that-comes-too-close.

That's a bit pat though. I was looking for more weird, illogical stuff, like having to grow foot-long fingernails to access the mystic Plane of Nu or something.

>Must be a virgin.

>can only speak in rhymes
>every statement must be rephrased as a non-rhetorical question
>can't lie
>must always be naked

The player or the PC?

Depends on how meta you want to get with the Magical Realm.

Yes

I mean, this one is obvious, but chance of spell failure increased by wearing certain armour.

Is this arcane magic only?

I knew one for clerics of the god of knowledge: must always answer questions truthfully.

c

>foot-long fingernails
Weaksauce, broski.

You need foot-long toenails. While foot binding.

>can never break a sworn oath
>must always ask permission before entering a residence
>must shave all hair on their body
>can only cast spells while high

>The more impressive your spellcasting would be, the more witnesses believe them to be spontaneously enacted by a divine entity. Questioning this enrages people them ore they believe.

>You must look after an egg for the duration of the entire campaign. Magic gains increasing chance to fail the more cracked an egg is. If an egg is broken, no more magic.

Every wizard in my setting has a "language of magic".
This is the language they belive is most strongly connected to magic. For some it's draconic, others celestial. Usually i let players pick the language for themselves, sometimes it's rolled randomly if they can't decide. It takes up one language that the PC would normally know, their spellcasting is done in this language (primarily), their spell books cypher, if any, is derived from this.

Although PCs more or less destroyed that setting. It's in Armageddon mode right now. I wanna run a demigod/divine intervention game but it always seems to attract the biggest autists.

In DCC mages all roll the mercule magic table. Good stuff. I like the result where casting the spell kills someone you know.

>casting the spell kills someone you know
Now I am become Murderhobo, destroyer of roleplay.

>mercule magic table
post it?

DCC is in the Trove.

Thanks mate.
Didn't even know where to post or find it.

It has great random tables.
>npc professions
>magic sword generator
>mercule magic
>Demon generator
>undead generator
>Dragon generator
>spell failure chart
>appease your diety who is mad at you over arbitrary shit chart

If I had a pc who did this every time they cast a spell I would make a chart, smallest chance it affects the PCs. Unless the PCs are the only thing the wizard has left.

The shugenga and the wujen had stuff like this. That's a good starting point. Look at the 2e ones though.

>Unless the PCs are the only thing the wizard has left.
Why would the other PCs matter to the wizard?

I still think that Mistress in Oglaf is a virgin, as it's very heavily implied that only a virgin can use magic, she exclusively employs women (probably to prevent potential rape), and her only male friend is capital-G Gay.

Because the effect specifically states "someone the wizard knows" he knows the party. Whether he likes it or not, he still knows the 3-4 other tomb robbers with him. And let me ask you, are you really gonna try to throw a magic missile when it kills someone you know and the only 4 people you know are in the same room as you, one of them is holding off the iron golem that wants a piece of your ass? I'm not willing to roll that D4.

>the wizard has spent months preparing for this day
>the day he assaults the Dark Lord's fortress
>He has set traps, prepared many a scroll and wand
>All his bones snap as his frail body is broken, his shitty diet catching up with him as he attempts to fight a mob of goons

Ah, perfect, thanks.

The rules of the game have a luck stat that modifies this chart. You get + or - 10% per luck modifier

Same book also has a corruption chart for failing to cast spells.

Unknown Armies has different taboos depending on your school of magic which are all very post modern takes on magic.

you gain power by doing things related to your school and lose it by violating the taboos of your school, for instance a Plutomancer gains power based on how much money they have and loses power the more money they spend.

>Gelato isn't vegan?
'S milk and eggs, bitch!

Darker than black had some neat caveats for power.

Those five minutes of film are almost enough to justify that shitty comic's existence.

So does fucking the mage make his spells come undone or can he just not cast them anymore?
Either way it give the amazon barbarian a REAL good way to deal with the shota mage

>shota mage
>being a wizard before 30
It don't add up.

Could be an elf
Could have hit 30 and made himself a shota
Could just be that seventh son of a seventh son bullshit

My group told me a story of a wizard who had to remind chaste to keep their powers, but the party fell down a hole and he accidentally entered another character.

>All his bones snap as his frail body is broken, his shitty diet catching up with him as he attempts to fight a mob of goons
> high-level wizard without Magic Jar
What are you playing, user?

bumper

Made a sorcerer in 5e that was 59 years old. He wild surged and got the 01-02 effect where for a whole minute he kept rolling on the wild surge table.Rolled six 35's, two 36's, a 19, and a 49. 35-36 causes you to age up or down depending on a d10 (odds go young, evens get old). Roll four 9's, two 5's, a three, and a one. Add that together and that's -50 to my age. In less than a minute my character de aged to a 9 year old while he accidentally greased himself (19) and tried to talk with the group but only bubbles come out of his mouth (49). Everyone burst out laughing as they let me stay in the party but now I'm a shota sorcerer hiding behind the Female Golaith Barbarian. Sadly she wasn't Snu Snu Amazon type but more like a female Drax from guardians of the galaxy. Didn't help that my character was already an Asian pretty boy, now he's full shota trap because the only armor that fits him was the halfling's old cloth/ninja armor.

>Sadly she wasn't Snu Snu Amazon
You poor bastard

Ahh man, I want to rewrite this, but use a Druid instead.

I'm actually just starting up a game as a wild magic sorcerer today

secretly hoping i surge my way into being a cute loli

>wizard is powerless unless they undergo a detailed, prolonged magical transformation into their wizard form

Your rule only really works if the player isn't a sociopath and actually gives a shit about harming the other party members.

Think about it.
>Use memory wipe spell so that he no longer knows anybody.
>Send in an envoy to hire the party, moment they return, use a cantrip to kill them off.
>Meet party at the ruins, do some dungeon crawling for reagents, treasure, and mysteries.
>Reach the end, exit the dungeon, use something like twinned quickened magic missile to kill off the party within a moment and collect their loot.
>Otherwise, the moment things go sideways, use a spell to GTFO back to your base before burning off a few more spells to kill off the rest of the party.
>Wash
>Rinse
>Repeat

Hell, a lich can TPK a party in a few moments since they're the only people that he knows who showed up since the last batch of people.

Anyways, your houserule is shit.