MTG: Standard General

WE WUZ KANGS N SHIT Edition

Playing?

Hating?

Predictions for any meta shift with Amonkhet?

Will we ever get true graveyard or artifact hate?

Thoughts on the new Embalm mechanic?

Do you think anything should be banned?

>RESOURCES:
>Current Standard Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=ST
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=414319
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-10-16-welcome-to-my-nightmare/
youtube.com/watch?v=Z6TYApKT1Q4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

standard is gay

>Thoughts on the new Embalm mechanic
i predict that it will be a B/W mechanic (mostly) and there will be a lot of Micheal Jackson jokes

Have they revealed what Embalm does?

I'll start us off since it's been awhile since Veeky Forums has had a Standard general.

>Playing?
U/W Aggro. Gideon and lots of spirits. Been adding a lot of counter magic to the deck as well.
>Hating?
Aetherworks has really been triggering me lately. Played a match that went to time in game 2 just because of how hard this guy Aetherworks deck durdled and just did nothing but gain life off of puzzleknot. Ended up losing 1-0-1
>Predictions for any meta shift with Amonkhet?
R/B Zombies is just going to get a whole lot better probably. I'm sure they also won't fail to print a new broken Planeswalker card.
>Will we ever get true graveyard or artifact hate?
Graveyard hate probably not but I could see artifact hate possibly being a thing in Amonkhet.
>Thoughts on new Embalm mechanic?
Just more good stuff for Zombie decks most likely.
>Banned?
Nah. Cat combo isn't nearly as bad as everyone expected it to be.

They have

>playing?

R/G pummler

>hating?

Sahelli, I can't do anything about crazy cat lady

>predictions?

Some broken walker and to many zombies (not that I mind zombies)

>will we get true graveyard or artifact hate?

Maybe graveyard with embalm and aftermath being mechanics but not artifact, we have release the gremlins and that one green card from aether revolt that puts it on the bottom of their library

>thoughts on embalm?

Love it, kinda strange that they made tokens just for these creatures

>ban?

Saheeli or gids, but I have a bias towards both

Hey dudes, any cool decks with these:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=414319

And Elesh Norn if possible, but I hear that's Modern instead of Standard.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-10-16-welcome-to-my-nightmare/

This deck any gud?

Bit complex but interesting. They likely could have gotten away without making it a zombie/changing colours.

Neat, that's about what I expected it to be.

dat new counterspell art makes my dick fucking HARD

Anyone saw the new Amonkhet Spoiler?

Miasma Mummy
Jackal, Zombie

"When Miasma Mummy enters the battlefield, each player discards a card."

Pic related.

Have you considered splashing blue for negate or any other counter magic? Maybe even black for Ruinous path or To the Slaughter could be good against Sahelli.

Elesh Norn isn't standard legal, but Gisela has a good home in the side board of a lot of U/W decks. She could even be good mainboard as a 1 or 2 of in a weenie white deck possibly.

Not sure how I feel about Harsh Scrutiny, especially in the current meta. I'd recommend replacing that with 2 Gideon's, maybe even find room for 4 of them in the main.

It might confuse new players to an extent but it's not too hard to grasp overall. I'm wondering if there will be specific white-creature removal since it makes the Embalmed creatures white.

The new new Invocations are hit or miss for me. I really like some of the new art but the forced 3d perspective of the bored of the cards doesn't look all that great to me. Of course I'd still be happy with pulling any one of them.

Seems pretty good for a common in sealed. May possibly be foreshadowing to more solid hand disruption to be printed in this set. I think it could fit well with the theme of Amonkhet.

Anyone else brewing with indomitable creativity right now? I'm running Grave Birthing and it's actually been great along with Call the Bloodline. People just think that I'm on a retarded burn deck until end step make a token untap Ulamog. Rise from the grave has also been putting in work as a backup wincon since I'm running playsets of cathartic reunion and tormenting voice.

You have a decklist? Looks like a cool idea.

I've always looked at Providence and considered how well it could work to restabalize the game in your favor. I've considered putting it in my U/W deck many times but idk I feel like it's an odd card, at least in my meta. He makes a good point though, being ahead by that large of a margin is usually a game ender.

>Playing?
GR Energy, without pummeler combo

>Hating?
Nothing, really. Decks with scrapheap/amalgam give me a little trouble, so I started sideboarding incendiary flow

Unless they print stupidly good cards, meta will more or less stay as is until rotation

pic related

>Thoughts on the new Embalm mechanic?
Interesting. Ways to combat flooding are always welcome. I expect cards with both embalm and cycling

>Do you think anything should be banned?
Maybe (big maybe) heart of kiran? It makes almost impossible to justify putting mid-big flyers in a deck

>Sideboard
2x Release the Gremlins
2x Transgress the Mind
2x Lost Legacy
4x Shock
1x Lightning Axe
1x Exquisite Archangel
1x Ever After
2x Gisa's Bidding

WotC really needs to go back to printing Core sets, or introduce evergreen tools for each color.
Mana Leak, Doom Blade, Shock, Prey Upon, Savannah Lions- while not exciting cards for a draft set gives each color common strategies/answers that would help break the monotony that Standard has become. Establishing a minimum power level for each color would go a long way to fixing what's wrong with the current environment.

>Playing?
Vampire Tribal

>Hating?
WU Flash

Graveyard is the new artifacts.

Of course we will but it will be overcosted and mythicand not in any of the colors you run

>Thoughts on the new Embalm mechanic?
Literally why? What is this good for?

>Do you think anything should be banned?
Stasis Snare, because 2/5 colors can't interact with it at all.

>Establishing a minimum power level for each color would go a long way to fixing what's wrong with the current environment.
Playtesting the cards first might help to. Failure to notice the cat combo was criminally incompetent.

Never really thought about how Embalming and cycling could be useful when flooding out, good point.

I think Cat Combo fell off of everyone's ban radar when it didn't preform as well as expected at the last few big events. I'm not exactly sure if Heart of Kiran is ban worthy but it's a pretty tough card for a lot of decks to beat, especially with the minimal amount of artifact hate in the format right now.

Seems like a pretty fun list

It could help the health of the format but Wizards will never do something like this. For them they just want to keep releasing new themes and mechanics into the game and build each block around limited play, because limited play is what makes them money directly.

>Hating?
>WU Flash

What kind of trouble are you having against it?

Embalm seems like just more graveyard shenanigans and tools for graveyard manipulation decks, also you have to keep in mind they largely make these sets with limited play in mind so there's also that.

Stasis snare is going to be greatly missed once it rotates out, it's the only spot removal I run in my U/W aggro deck.

Also Wizards not noticing cat combo was pretty awful, and beyond that the fact that they publicly stated that they missed it was embarrassing. Hopefully someone in R&D got their ass chewed out and that kinda shit won't happen again. They also need to hire a new guy to write flavor text because Kaladesh block had some of the worst flavor text. Pic related.

>What kind of trouble are you having against it?
BR just can't interact with it at all. Unless you count winning before turn 3 and/or removing 12+ cards from the game before turn 3.

I play a creature. After turn 3, Flash has multiple perfect answers for it, in hand, almost every game.

>Stasis Snare
BR has no means of removing or countering enchantments.

>Reflector Mage (before the ban)
Takes my creature off the field, makes it a dead card for my next turn, and leaves flash with a beater on the field.

>Spell Queller
Takes my creature off the field. If I can get rid of the Queller, I can get it back, but any removal I play can be answered with another Queller, U counterspells, Selfless Spirit, and Avacyn.

By the time I can get anything on the board, it's midgame, and the flash player can start dropping mythics like Gisela and Avacyn. They have 5 cards in hand thanks to Thraben Inspector, and I've got 0.

Are you playing Lost Legacy and Transgress in your SB? I think getting rid of Queller with Lost Legacy and making them discard other good stuff with Transgress could help a pretty good amount in the match-up.

Is it weird I am looking forward to shouting
>I PLAY MY EGYPTIAN GOD CARD
as cheesily as I possibly can before slamming one on the table?

No for both. My local meta doesn't actually include much Flash (lucky for me).

A little bit, but you play Magic however you want man.

I'm the only Flash player in my meta and the amount of sideboard hate I experience is wild. It's justified though, Gideon, Spell Queller, and Avacyn are powerful cards.

New non-full art basic lands leaked. The mountain and Island are looking pretty good, will probably look nice in foil.

Seeing if this new set adds some good WB graveyard tools for a token deck i had mulling around in my head.

Wouldn't you be out-tokened by thopter spam decks?

This isn't a FNM top 8 im working on. My meta is low power with only one guy trying to flash his wallet around.

Opinions on standard?

Just returned to MTG after taking a 5 year break, playing Temur Tower right now and liking it.

I do have a foldness for weird combo decks, anything like that in T2-T3 for standard?

>makes them a zombie
YES
>makes them white
NO

I thought Wizards loved EDH. I can't throw these cards into Zombie Tribal.dek if they're white.

Well there is Cat combo with Sahelli and Felidar Guardian, makes infinite copies of Felidar all with haste. Although, that isn't really T2-T3 it's more of a tier 1 deck. There's some infinite mill you can do with Manic Scribe and 2 of the Felidar Guardians.

I have a lot of fun with it. I'm hoping that they finally just print some decent artifact/enchantment hate and graveyard hate as well, but as these spoilers continue to get leaked it seems a like graveyard recursion and manipulation are going to be a thing yet again.

Why not? you can control tokens out of your color identity in commander. There just can't be W on the card's cost or ability costs.

I personally like these more than the full arts

Agreed. Lands done in portrait are weird. The proportions just work better in these.

>Not activating your trap cards during Zendikar

Man, that forest us bad.

They said that amonkhet was graveyard themed, so is anyone else hoping real hard that they will actually print a good reanimation spell? We haven't had a solid reanimator-style deck since unburial rites. Maybe a 3 mana enchantment, like necromancy, but cut the instant speed ability and make it only creatures in your own grave. I feel like that wouldn't be too powerful for standard, because there are no good creatures to reanimate (except ulamog). Just no more of this 5 mana sorcery garbage we keep getting

>good reanimation spell
>neo-magic

Funny joke, user.

>T2-T3

Mechanized production + clues

It's difficult to illustrate a forest in the desert without encroaching into swamp territory.

I thought the bow was an electric guitar and now I'm dissapointed

Playing pic related. There's plenty of incentive to switch to grixis if the bolas walker is good (fatal push, unlicensed disintegration, dark intimations too I guess)

The matchup I hate the most is Mardu. Not because it's a terrible matchup (it's okay) but because until you actually have lethal on board it ALWAYS feels like you're behind.

I can't comment on AKH until I see actual playable spoilers not limited shit.

Embalm is cute and works surprisingly well, and it'll probably have some prevalence because wizards can't figure out good grave hate if it was handed to them on a silver platter.

Anybody brewing bu zombies or got tips or it

What made you decide on this list? I have been trying Tower but I haven't decided on a solid list yet.

>Austere Command
>Let there be rock.

Tried. Grixis is better. URb. Recursion with prized amalgam

I haven't played since M15 rotated out
I miss RTR
Where are my fucking control decks, Wizard

youtube.com/watch?v=Z6TYApKT1Q4

I remember reading about those, didn't /ss/ say his deck was absolute dogshit and a complete PT meta call, nothing to be ever played seriously anywhere?

I think the last control deck to be actually viable was Esper Dragons.

ss?
Also both Romao and Yasooka have almost the same deck.

/ss/ stands for
straight shota

They may have the same decks, but /ss/ won the PT and he was the one to give the interview.

WHAT

>Mindcensor in standard

I refuse to believe this until I crack open one myself.

I took the stock list, cut brutal expulsion because that's a shitty card, put in chandra for her ability to turn draws into wins, and a 23rd land because I kept getting stuck on 5 lands in testing.

Sideboard is wholly dependent on your meta, but I'd look at dampening pulse and niblis of Frost for extra spicy tech.

What will this even stop in standard? Evolving wilds and trophy mage?

fuck my shit up senpai

Ok I chuckled

>implying these are necessary after turn 3

Yeaaaaaaah

I much prefer the Future Sight versions but more reprints is good.

The only card of significance after rotation with current set knowledge that this will stop is a Lost Legacy from searching your library.

croc-dragon confirmed

Normal art

Will we have another Thundermaw/Stormbreath filled standard again?

>that flavor text

Maybe

Really hoping exert/always watching becomes a deck

Is normal Trueheart Duelist cute enough to be waifu material?

ub zombies is very typical almost mono in the list aggro/midrange with some hand disruption in the side and counterspells.

I thought this card was mediocre, then I saw it had haste. This is like a flying, hasty ftk. sure, it doesn't untap next turn, but then you get to 4 something again the following turn. Its just ridiculous if you give it vigilance. Of course this could all be irrelevant if mardu vehicles and saheeli are going to stay the best decks

They likely won't, and wether that card sees play literally depends on two factors:
A) How relevant is dealing 4 to a non-dragon?
B) How likely is a big red deck going to see play?

Just being a 4/4 haste flier for 5 is not good enough on its own, and Stormbreath only saw play because G/R was bonkers good, it had pro-white, dodging a ton of removal, and monstrosity of course.

I don't think it's quite good enough, but who knows.

Get fucked Traverse the Ulvenwald.
Get fucked Eldritch Evolution speculators

The pendulum has swung boys. We UW respond to everything now. Nu-Sphinx's Rev when?

Doesn't stop the energy so whatever.

>Plains are not plains
>Island is not an island
>Swamp is not a swamp
>Mountain isn't a mountain
>Forest isn't a forest

Every fucking set.

Can we have a block that doesn't revolve around a city please? So we can get lands that actually look like lands?

Loading ready run

And what is a cat snake

Fuck forgot image

welp, I have a 3-drop for whenever tireless tracker rotate

that or rishkar

T3 pic related, T4 dragon

Usually the mana fixing aspect is more useful than the energy

>We totally care about control existing guys

Long cat?

Have you ever played the card flame tongue kavu? Dealing 4 to another creature is insane value, the card is almost a guaranteed 2 for 1. Although yes, how good it is depends on how viable any 5 mana threat will be in the new standard

>playing
Bought a mono-blue control deck a few weeks ago for $115. Haven't played it once because of school and MM17 drafts.

Also been playing a budget Grixis Dynavolt deck on MTGO. It's fun when my manabase doesn't fuck me over.

Thought this too but Dynavolt can just zap it. I guess you can just board out a few counters to avoid 0 energy, volt on the board, and lands/counters in hand.

>tfw Spell Queller exiles a spell and doesn't counter it.

God I love U/W

Motherfucking cat snakes. Magic is saved.

i need quick advice on this wonky version of mardu vehicles im taking to fnm tomorrow. i want to know if it's good enough to place and what to swap out, and yes i don't have Gideon or HoK, that's why they aren't in here. If something is bad, explain why it is bad because 1: im autistic and 2: i want to get better, so if i know what I'm doing wrong i can improve it.

Lands: 22

4 Plains
6 Mountain
4 Inspiring Vantage
4 Concealed Courtyard
4 Aetherhub

Creatures: 24
4 Scrapheap Scrounger
4 Thraben Inspector
4 Toolcraft Exemplar
4 Veteran Motorist
3 Inventor's Apprentice
3 Selfless Spirit
2 Pia Nalaar

Instants: 8
4 Shock
4 Unlicensed Disintegration

Vehicles: 6
4 Aethersphere Harvester
2 Fleetwheel Cruiser

I don't have a sideboard because i am terrible at making them, wouldn't mind help with that too.

Run harness lightning and blessed alliance in side

The Gatewatch has... suddenly died!

Played zombies since EMN, RB and UR ale much better than UB

>GXx Midrange creatures hasn't been relevant every single set since Khans, better keep pushing it!

WotC is run by turds.

5 minutes in GIMP

I'm gonna have to rewatch this episode, save a bunch of screenshots, and edit mtg characters into them.

First post best post