/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Sea Beggars Edition Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/download/z254cb18y7b2w49/Osprey - ELI 070 - Elizabethan Sea Dogs 1560-1605.pdf
mediafire.com/download/d6zjpu68z2cc8z6/Osprey - ELI 179 - Pike and Shot Tactics 1590-1660.pdf
mediafire.com/download/94ar1t1a33l53k7/Osprey - MAA 481 - Spanish Tercios 1536-1704.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ivqinbnowwdcd34/Osprey - NVA 149 - Tudor Warships (2).pdf
mediafire.com/download/ma69o71666fbnr9/Osprey - WAR 043 - Matchlock Musketeer 1588-1688.pdf
mediafire.com/file/j76ozbvsm6ljqte/Spectre Operations.pdf
mediafire.com/file/qbdgl3chb613mrc/Altar Of Freedom.pdf
warisboring.com/the-biggest-tank-battle-in-history-wasnt-at-kursk-e0c10334271
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Brody_(1941)
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
youtube.com/watch?v=FW4RKp23Z4M
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Historical_role-playing_games
28mmreview.blogspot.com/p/medieval.html
fanaticus.website/guides/Painting/index.html
forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815107
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

1st of April in military history

1318 – Berwick-upon-Tweed is captured by the Scottish from the English.
1572 – In the Eighty Years' War, the Watergeuzen capture Brielle from the Spaniards, gaining the first foothold on land for what would become the Dutch Republic.
1625 – A combined Spanish and Portuguese fleet of 52 ships commences the recapture of Bahia from the Dutch during the Dutch–Portuguese War.
1865 – American Civil War: Battle of Five Forks. Union Army led by Philip Sheridan decisively defeated Confederate States Army led by George Pickett, leading to Breakthrough at Petersburg and Appomattox Campaign.
1893 – The rank of Chief Petty Officer in the United States Navy is established.
1908 – The Territorial Force (renamed Territorial Army in 1920) is formed as a volunteer reserve component of the British Army.
1918 – The Royal Air Force is created by the merger of the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service.
1924 – The Royal Canadian Air Force is formed.
1937 – Spanish Civil War: Jaén, Spain is bombed by Nazi forces.
1939 – Spanish Civil War: Generalísimo Francisco Franco of the Spanish State announces the end of the Spanish Civil War, when the last of the Republican forces surrender.
1941 – A military coup in Iraq overthrows the regime of 'Abd al-Ilah and installs Rashid Ali al-Gaylani as Prime Minister.
1944 – Navigation errors lead to an accidental American bombing of the Swiss city of Schaffhausen.
1945 – World War II: Operation Iceberg: United States troops land on Okinawa in the last major campaign of the war.
1947 – The only mutiny in the history of the Royal New Zealand Navy begins.
1949 – Chinese Civil War: The Chinese Communist Party holds unsuccessful peace talks with the Nationalist Party in Beijing, after three years of fighting.
1969 – The Hawker Siddeley Harrier enters service with the Royal Air Force.
2009 – Croatia and Albania join NATO.

It is 445 years since the Capture of Brielle by the Watergeuzen (known in English as the "Sea Beggars). This marked a turning point in the uprising of the Low Countries against Spain in the Eighty Years' War. Militarily the success was minor as the port of Brielle was undefended, but it provided the first foothold on land for the rebels at a time when the rebellion was all but crushed, and it offered the sign for a new revolt throughout the Netherlands which led to the formation of the Dutch Republic.

The Watergeuzen were led by William van der Marck, Lord of Lumey, and by two of his captains, Willem Bloys van Treslong and Lenaert Jansz de Graeff. After they were expelled from England by Elizabeth I, they needed a place to shelter their 25 ships. As they sailed towards Brielle, they were surprised to find out that the Spanish garrison had left in order to deal with trouble in Utrecht. On the evening of April 1, the 600 men sacked the undefended port. As they were preparing to leave, one of the men said there was no reason they should leave where they were.

In August 1585, Brielle was one of the four Dutch towns that became an English possession by the Treaty of Nonsuch when Queen Elizabeth I received it as security of payment for 5000 soldiers used by the Dutch in their struggle against the Spanish. In 1617, these cities returned to the Netherlands.

Dutch students are taught a short rhyme to remember this event: "Op 1 april verloor Alva zijn bril," meaning "On April 1st, Alva lost his glasses," making a pun between bril, Dutch for 'glasses', and the name of the town, Brielle or Den Briel.

The Capture of Brielle is still celebrated by its inhabitants each year on the first of April. Festivities include a reenactment of the battle and with a tradition called kalknacht (chalk night) where during the night before the festivities begin in earnest the mostly adolescent participants use lime chalk to write slogans and draw pictures on windows. The kalknacht tradition is frowned upon by many and the police often fine anyone caught with chalk after latex paint was used by a small number of participants which caused damage to cars, streets and houses in 2002. The kalknacht origins lie in the actions of locals who painted chalk on the doors of those citizens and officials who were loyal to Spanish rule. By doing this they targeted those houses for the Watergeuzen to find all people who could resist the capture.

There is a frustrating lack of Ospreys on the subject of the Eighty Year's War, but an interested researcher can glean lots of relevant info from the following titles. It's a great period for pike-and-shot gamers.

mediafire.com/download/z254cb18y7b2w49/Osprey - ELI 070 - Elizabethan Sea Dogs 1560-1605.pdf
mediafire.com/download/d6zjpu68z2cc8z6/Osprey - ELI 179 - Pike and Shot Tactics 1590-1660.pdf
mediafire.com/download/94ar1t1a33l53k7/Osprey - MAA 481 - Spanish Tercios 1536-1704.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ivqinbnowwdcd34/Osprey - NVA 149 - Tudor Warships (2).pdf
mediafire.com/download/ma69o71666fbnr9/Osprey - WAR 043 - Matchlock Musketeer 1588-1688.pdf

The community project this month is an obsolete unit or vehicle.

Did we ever reach a consensus about whether the deadline is tomorrow, or if we're letting it run until the 16th?

IIRC it's the 16th as usually.

Spectre: Operations is a tabletop skirmish wargame from Spectre Miniatures which takes you to the cutting edge of modern warfare. Spectre: Operations introduces a world of action and intrigue, where special forces, intelligence agents and military contractors are on the front line, carrying out covert operations against a multitude of adversaries; including enemy nations, unstable regimes, ruthless warlords, insurgents, mercenaries and paramilitary groups.

The game mechanics within this book are realistic, fast paced and quick to learn, optimised for 2+ players with 4 - 40+ miniatures each side. It takes into account all modern battlefifi eld factors such as ranged and close combat, infantry and vehicle combat, air support, covert operations and civilians on the battlefield. The game uses mechanics to realistically represent darkness, adverse weather conditions and how alert your troops are, as well as cutting edge equipment such as night vision, suppressed weapons and surveillance drones. Stealth, cunning, and the ruthless will to win is the only way to prevail; you must rely on tactics, cover and careful selection of your forces to plan your action and succeed in Spectre: Operations.

Spectre: Operations rules are part of the Spectre Miniatures brand. Painstakingly researched and designed with advice from military consultants, Spectre Miniatures has built a comprehensive range of extremely accurate modern 28mm miniatures, vehicles and rules to play action-packed, fast-paced table top wargames.

mediafire.com/file/j76ozbvsm6ljqte/Spectre Operations.pdf

Sadly these are the 1st ed rules that's been floating around the interwebz, not the recent 2nd ed ones - thanks nonetheless user.

Something I'll look into for sure. Been looking for something to run the Lebanese Civil War with.

Altar of Freedom is a set of miniatures wargame rules for fighting the largest battles of the American Civil War in 6mm scale.

This system is designed for real historical scenarios like Antietam or Chickamauga, not for points-driven tournament matches. Your role as a player will be to step into the boots of a corps or army general. Operating at the highest levels of command, you will not bother yourself with micromanaging regiments or interfering in the affairs of your colonels. Your challenge will be coordinating your divisions to be in the right place at the right time and wrestling with the out-sized personalities of your corps commanders. The rest, as Robert E. Lee might say, is in God's hands.

Grand Tactical: The rules are designed for 6mm/10mm miniatures, with an available conversion to 15mm. One turn is approximately one hour, 1" = 150+ yards, and 1 base = 1 brigade. Basing is flexible, so long as both armies are based in the same manner.

Altar of Freedom is a turn-based game, although the duration of each turn is determined by a variable Turn Clock. At the start of each turn, players secretly bid Priority Points for the opportunity to maneuver their divisions before the enemy. After the secret bidding, players reveal their highest bids and begin maneuvering divisions in order of priority. After each new bid is reached, players roll to remove time from the Turn Clock. The Turn Clock is the strategic center-piece of the game, since players vie for control of the clock throughout the battle. He who controls the clock can manipulate the speed of the countdown. When the clock does expire, the turn ends immediately and players complete some minor adjustments before proceeding to the next turn. Because all games are based on historical scenarios, every battle has a defined end with victory conditions for each commander.

mediafire.com/file/qbdgl3chb613mrc/Altar Of Freedom.pdf

QUESTION:
If the Battle of Kursk/Prokhorovka wasn't the biggest tank battle in history, then which was???

There's a recent argument that it was Brody 1941
warisboring.com/the-biggest-tank-battle-in-history-wasnt-at-kursk-e0c10334271
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Brody_(1941)

The problem of course is with varying statistics and figures from different sources. It seems the main argument for revision really rounds down the German numbers at Kursk.

Yom Kippur war (really a 19 day battle). 1,700 Isreali tanks and 3,430 coalition tanks.

Kursk lasted a month so I think we can allow for battles that last multiple days over large areas.

Does anyone know if there is a scan of Battlegroup:Tobruk out yet?

It appears as though the osprey links on mediafire in the OP are missing some books, such as ones that discuss the Rolls Royce armored car or various naval vessels from the early 1900s. I've checked a mega link as well, and they're still missing. Does one know where they could be found?

When it's not even out yet?

Yes. Tons of them are floating around.

Oh I saw it on the PSC website and thought it was out. I was wondering if there was a copy I could look at before ordering. I didn't realise it was a pre order.

Thank you, how did you acquire this? I'm eager to collect as many as possible.

I'm always happy to upload titles on request, but it's impossible to get everything in our folders. Most are pretty easy to find if you just google the title+pdf, it'll lead you to one of numerous fileshare sites.

Meh, it happens, sorry for being rude.

Do you have the base rulebook? It doesn't include that, but if it's any indication, the older Normandy book is in the folders so you can take a look at them to see if you think it's worth it.

I have the base book but I don't play that much, my heart is always in the desert and North Africa. No worries dude.

Man, I do not like how thick the bases are in comparison to the barbed wire obstacles in 15mm.

What game is that for?

Who makes these minis? I want that mob of villagers

For Bolt Action, would a French Foreign Legion army be viable?

I have a DAK army and would like a similiarly desert themed opposing force to get friends into the game.

And I love those white kepis. Im looking at the Perry Miniatures line.

What should I be looking for i while list building? Or should I just roll with desert rats?

They look like they're warlord games. They have an excellent selections of 25/28mm for the 30 years war era.

The villagers could also be perry though.

Fellow wargamers. I need some help. After a 10 year hiatus I'd like to get back into historical wargaming.

I'd prefer a ruleset that doesn't require as many minitures as warhammer historical. Is De Bellis Antiquitatas still my best bet?

That'd be pretty damn cool. And it'd be something definitely different. No idea how viable it is within BA though.

Yeah I'd say DBA is your best bet for medieval/ancients. If you want to try Medieval skirmish Chevauchee and Bashing the Bishop are fun, but they are leagues from DBA and WH:H.

Given most Bolt Action games are a platoon or so of infantry and a few supporting bits and pieces, yeah they should be fine. None of their historical limitations really matter in BA.

>DBA

If you played it before and there's still people around to play it, well it is still just DBA. I'd never say it's the best bet for anything other than for the explicit purpose of it being DBA.

Are there historical role playing games, or just wargames?

I'm open to anything honestly. There's almost no historical wargamers in my area that i know of. It's just me and a small interested group of friends

Yes, but damned if I can remember the name of any outside of GURPS supplements. But they do exist.

There's a (fan-made I think) supplement for Traveller about being a sailor in Roman times.

Recommending THW's "Rally Round the King".
It's sold as a fantasy ruleset, but if you ignore all the pesky "magic" stuff, it's also a great ancient/medieval ruleset.
Best of all (and what you're looking for) each army is about 9 to 15 elements in size, all of which (elements) are equivalent (in size) to DBA's.

The rules themselves are quick-playing (as the producer promises: Two Hours' Wargames) and feature an innovative Reaction mechanics.
There are Ancient/Medieval army lists available on site, too.

Oh, and, you can find the whole shebang in here:
>mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames

Based on the unit sizes, it might be The Pikeman's Lament, which is the pike and shot (and generally superior) version of Lion Rampant.

Pretty sure the rules are in the OP.

I'll happily recommend Impetus or even Basic Impetus (do we have v.2 anywhere since it released?) over DBA. Same sort of thing that will allow you to use few models to represent armies and mash up stuff from a wide spectrum of time (but FFS don't mix Hussites against anyone who can't take decent artillery, bringing your own fort to the battlefield is too good), but overall a much nicer system.

Is Impetus compatible with DBx basing?

Yes, it's all in multiples of the basic base size DBx uses.

Thanks! I'll try it out maybe as a proxy, but seriously -- White kepis and the "fuck you, we'll fight to the death" attitude is phenomenal.

I'm probably gonna do this either way

Nice irish minis, where are they from?

Don't try and force the meme. Just let it happen naturally my man.

At a guess, Perry if they're 28mm. For other ranges/sizes 20mm = Zvezda, 10mm, Pendraken, if 6mm, Baccus or Heroics and Ros (if really fucking tiny). Can't remember who does 15mm for them. And I'm surely missing a bunch of options.
I am still genuinely surprised someone felt it necessary to point out that samurai are apparently not Irish, and I've been here forever so have no excuses..

some retard kept commenting on irish history while posting pictures of japanese minis,so it became a retarded meme

I bet the "retard" was the guy you replied to

unrelated, I work at a library who are hosting a talk on "Military Life in the Napoleonic Wars" in June, one of my co-workers is going to bring in some unpainted wargames figures he has for no reason. Almost offered to let them display my 10mm British army if they wanted. Do I reveal my terrifically nerdy hobby to my coworkers hwg?

>revealing your power level
nigga do you even need to ask?

I can't un-see the second horse on the left as wearing the Samurai's helmet.

You work in a library. You've nothing to lose in terms of social standing. Do it. Especially since you have something related to contribute. Just make sure you have them in a nice, secure, glass case for display purposes.

Taking the piss out of someone being autistic over an unrelated image is now memeing?

found the retard

>You work in a library. You've nothing to lose in terms of social standing.
Rude.
I have teacher training interviews lined up if that makes my lot in life look any better.

Found the autist who can't comprehend the concept of an unrelated image without it being explicitly stated.

Fair. Dead serious here: teaching is... lets just say the burnout is real. I know that librarian isn't really a long term career with prospects but there's a certain lack of insane levels of stress and overworking to go with it at least. Make sure you have escape options from teaching. I've seen too many good people end up wrecked because of a career teaching was all they could see themselves doing until it was too late. Disregard that if you're going into really specialist teaching like English as a second language, that kind of thing is already a good option and easy to shift career path on.

>says the autist who doesnt understand jokes

>Give the Perty sculpts a look
>They have MAS 36's
Stop it user, you're making me all tingly in the wallet.

ITT: autists calling autists autists.

>I know that librarian isn't really a long term career with prospects but there's a certain lack of insane levels of stress and overworking to go with it at least.
It's extremely bland. I have no idea how my colleagues have done it for so long (up to 30 years). There's no upward mobility, there's no daily variance or excitement. You rarely feel you made a difference to anyone's day.

Being a teacher will be hard all the time, and awful some of the time, but I reckon it will beat this beige ass job.

Isn't that on a Veeky Forums-specific banner?
It's not wrong

AD&D 2E had a ton of historical campaign books. I've wanted to do the Charlemagne one for a while but can't find a group.

dang, really appreciate the recommendation guy, now just to see if I can find a copy

Pdf in the 'Wargames' folder broseph.

my nigga

What does /hwg/ think of BazBattles?

youtube.com/watch?v=FW4RKp23Z4M

Also Impetus actually lets you field Irish with firearms.

True.
And it's not being unhistorical with Hussites, they really were OP in real life. Fascinating stuff; religious fanatics crossed with innovative tactics, not just taking the wagon-fort and instead of placing it against their usual foe of Cossaks and Tartars, to the massed heavy cavalry and infantry forces of western Europe. Plus in doing so managing to overcome the problem of early man-portable firearms by giving them a space for reloading protected from both other missile troops and cavalry.

I mean in an era dominated by castes, bringing the ability to have a castle with you wherever needed is bound to be a bit good (as long as it's conducted well).

I'll admit that I find myself torn between focusing on a lot of historical matches or staging Deadliest Warrior-style mashups.

Start with a good historical match, then expand from that I'd say. That way you won't run into fun problems like how the hell are republican Romans supposed to deal with 100 years war French massed heavy cavalry.

Are the Gripping Beast Plastic Late Roman Infantry acceptable proxies for SAGA Byzantines?

What size round bases will I need for Khurusan 15mm stuff?

those are pretty damn cool

Most people go for 15mm or 20mm(ish) of some kind. 1p coins are the norm in the UK.

hm, do punic war-era republicans get pike auxiliaries?

what are some games that let me use the best heavy cavalry to ever trot the face of the earth?

Fuck I bought 10mm

That just means that you need to start a 6 or 10mm project to use those bases for.

I wanted to try out DBA, just making sure this is everything I need:

2.2 rule book (pdf)
references (pdfs)
army (essex Marian Roman army pack)
bases (1xpack of 40x30, 40x15, 40x20, 40x40)
a terrain (?)
paints (?)

What paints should I get? Should I just go get some cheap ones from Michael's for my first try? I've never painted minis before so I assume my first batch would be a test run. Alternatively, is there a DBA starter army with paints included?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Historical_role-playing_games

Get Vallejo paint. They have some good bundles, including color sets for various historical armies.

Pikeman's Lament

Warlord

There is a game system called With Fire And Sword set around that era

PDF related might help

They can get a whole bunch. However, they're all longspear not pike so no huge depth bonus. And half of them are light infantry, not heavy infantry. French can get a ton of crossbows and mounted crossbows though, even a bunch of skirmishing javelin Bretons in support to disrupt those formations if the Romans go all-in on the anti-cavalry.

It's probably not a problem.

Thanks

No entangle either. Though I do appreciate that it's long spear that gets anti-cav bonuses; gives late Japanese a fighting chance against cav armies.

Not in a million years. Other people make some great Byzantines that won't kill your bank though. Start here:

28mmreview.blogspot.com/p/medieval.html

Many people in the DBA community get great result from the Michaels paints - particularly the Americana range. Vallejo and others are better by far but we all have to start somewhere.
Remember to remove all of the mould lines from your figures with a sharp knife as nothing spoils a figure more than lazy preparation. Also look about for a style you like and emulate that. For a beginner I would recommend the black undercoat method and be gentle with metallics.
Have a look at the Fanaticus site for inspiration:

fanaticus.website/guides/Painting/index.html

I love the idea of playing a wargame, but I absolutely hate the idea of having to paint an entire army.

How long do you guys think a beginner would take to paint a squad?

Only sort-of relevant, but some brave soul on Something Awful is running a Mercs & Planes style game: forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815107

They're still in set-up, but while they're taking goon input and guidance they're going to be using COMMAND: Modern Air/Naval Operations to play things out.

The Hired Goons went for Gripens rather than MiGs, it's a shame. ilu mig-21 for all your flaws

Anyway, I think at least one person here'll be interested.

>I love the idea of playing a wargame, but I absolutely hate the idea of having to paint an entire army.

So use counters.
Or, if you'd still like the visual representation - Tabletop Simulator or one of it's many alternatives.

I'm a teacher and I wish I was like you. Boring is the perfect life

Counters and chits might be up your alley. Especially if you hate the idea of having to build terrain.

If you're dead set on painting though... it's a shitty answer but it really depends. For an absolute beginner, it probably wouldn't take that long to paint something like 10 USA WW2 GIs, provided you prime them in brown or army green.

>army green
Except for their bayonet sheats and heavy weapons, nothing was really green on them.

olive drab? Khaki? It's still an easier base to work off of than black or white if you're looking for quick results.

Olive drab seems to be the best option, tho given that their trousers are dark brown (at least for Normandy), that might be a viable basecoat too.

I use black undercoat tho.

I'm more of a Dark Ages/Early medieval guy myself, so I just army painter's brown spray to do my GIs. I finished the 25 guys in a pretty short time, even if they're not beautiful.

But I really should learn more about ww2 uniforms before I get back to the ww2 games that are really popular in my club.

I am a teacher aswell and I kind of feel the same way, but I am very content with the way things are going right now.

does BA need its own thread?

do they think they're better than us or something?

I don't care for BA, it being discussed here was fine though but if they want to take it somewhere else? it doesn't really matter.

Gives us a chance to focus on the 'better' WWII platoon level games.

speaking of which, does anyone have the Dispoable Heroes American forces book 'Blood and Guts'

Ironically enough, someone in that thread was bitching about /hwg/'s tendency to look down their collective noses at Bolt Action, hence the need for a separate thread.