>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1GSOZnPQ7eU
mediafire.com/file/tga8ovd3peu17km/Figurepaintermagazine1to12.rar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm rather proud of myself. I never was into painting as I always found it tedious at best, I take HUGE year+ breaks and yet now I feel like I can do this. I usually go full OCD on even a single trooper, taking 6+ hours to do one and just barely tabletop standard. Now I took on 4 FWs in the same amount of time WITH breaks and i could've cut off another 40~ minutes cause I basecoated the wrong shade of green.

I'm fucking stoked. The success is making me want to paint even more. I'm actually going to have a fully painted army, then I move on to the next.

I entered this model in a painting competition a few weeks ago, and while I didnt win, the store told me some random guy wanted to buy my model for $50 AUD, which I accepted.

Nice! Usually a sign you can start taking (low level) commissions. $50 is about an appropriate price to buy that, I'm a middling painter and usually charge $25 for my services.

50AUD is like freedom $18

Just about done with my two Caladius Grav Tanks.

Just started some blight kings i picked up today instead of working on my backlog, Im going for a less corpse pale skin

I feel that the gold on those tanks needs some shading and highlights.

50aud =around 38freedom

So closer to 40ish.

blightkings are a fuckin blast to paint, they're so full of character
and user, trim those nails.

There's actually a shit ton of both.

Gold reflects horribly and washes out tons of detail if you don't have a professional camera.

There's a reason why Blight Kings are constantly showing up in GDs

>it's a Duncan shows us how to paint red armor for the 17th time because some faggot on facebook is too retarded to check the backlog and whoever manages the requests is too retarded to just send them a link
I don't even need his tutorials anymore but some variety would be nice.

Ignore this post. Paint your nails instead for guaranteed replies.

I would love a "how to not kill yourself painting Harlequins "

Why don't you send him a more interesting request then?

Sent 12 to date asking how to paint mordheim terrain/ruins/etc

>assembling models
>order bits I want to use
>won't here until next week

Fuck

This is me when I order bits for completing models and half a model is just sitting sadly on my desk for a week or two.

>order bits for some models
>get distracted by other projects
>when the bits eventually arrive I'd forgotten what they were for

They look clean theres no denying that.
But you lack contrast on parts of your pallet. The gold for instance, you have just edged it it seems, and it lacks any real depth.
My recipe for gold is
1. brown base
2. Gold
3. Agrax
4. Re-gold (remember to thin your paint and stay out of the recesses!)
5, ad a tiny dot of silver to the gold
6. repeat stage 5 about 2 times more
7 edge with the brightest highlight
7. pull out pure silver and "dot" the extreme highlights of your edge highlights.

This will give deep recesses, and high points that will give the model a good contrast between shades and highlights.

Apart from this I also would thin the red down a bit more, you can see the paint streaks, this is extra visible on larger surfaces such as these tanks.

But as I said, its nice and clean at the moment, but for Forge world expenses such as this, you should really not only aim to do your best, but to do even better!

Interesting recipe. Any picture of the results you get with them?

Honestly I truly need to take pictures with an actual camera and not my phone. Much of my work is lost in the pics but honestly looks great in person.

It's very frustrating.

Is there a reason you use agrax over Reichland fleshshade? I prefer the redder tone it gives personally.

Just curious, how do commission painters even make money? 50AUD for that model is what, 2-3 hours of average salary? I bet the model took longer than that to complete, and that's not counting the materials required to make it.

It's not just this example either, I see commission painters selling boxes of fully painted models for 2x-3x the price of the box itself, how can that possibly be profitable? Do they just work 12 hours a day to make up for the shitty pay?

Local commission painters are probbably just barely scraping by with around minimum wage. The big studios on the other hand have their offices in shitholes like Poland where the average wage is like €700 a month.

I don't do it as a primary income or anything. Mostly I just paint models for other people in my D&D circles. They provide the mini (typically) and I spend 2-3 hours painting it. If I have to buy it they cover those costs. Not great money, no, but it's a nice way to get some drinking money on the side. But yes, unless you're the absolute cream of the crop the income is typically pretty shit for a primary job.

Good job. Keep it up user.

Not the best of pictures, but heres a snapshot from my phone.

Well, it all depends on what you're aiming for. the Fleshshade has a lot more red in it, and is not as stark as the Agrax. But you can even experiment with purple and pink to get exiting reflections to your gold. I recommend watching SchnauzerFaceMinis on YouTube for some exiting "new thinking" when blending colors.

Well, as I said, it looks good. But I personally would prefer it if it was darker shades on it. heh, we all have that problem, I think I took like 6 pictures for pic related to even get close to "reality", frustrating as hell!

using this as a winter wolf for dnd, how did i do?

primed white, washed blue then drybrushed grey and white with a few bright blue streaks?
it looks good

Why does the tiling have little penises on them?

Thanks
Primed with the fang, based with light grey, washed with dark blue, then white/re-wash until i was happy.

thanks, sorry for the late reply, i had some mates over for a few games of sigmar killteam ( i got smashed)
i havent comission painted before, but a friend of mine gave me his space marine army and as a thankyou i'm painting a small dwarf army for him.

I'm thinking about picking up Shadow War when it comes out and using the scouts as Neophytes for my Black Templars. I'm not fond of the heads, though. Are there any good alternatives? Helmeted is probably preferred, but anything sufficiently medieval looking would be good too. I've thought about Bretonnian bits, bit I assume they're vanishingly rare these days.

like, its painted, but the blending is weak as fuck and its very flat

no idea, it's a scibor base, i took that big head bit off and used the void area for the plaque

it's my first attempt at blending, can you give me some general advice on how to improve? on the blending or anything else about the model

you need more intermediate colours and many, many more layers
get a wet pallete

classic GW jester colours on the waistcoak since I'm going for a carnival of chaos look as the original Realm of chaos describes Nurgle.

Still WIP

Eyy man, thanks a ton. I spent all night doing those, so much so I only had a nap to try and reset my sleeping pattern.

Tomorrow, I'm going to continue. Maybe 5 drones, 2 stealthsuits or even my custom Shadowsun.

>plastic scouts
>not fond of the heads

Join the club.

>Are there any good alternatives?

How about Militarum Tempestus Scion heads?

Anyone still have that picture of the Greyfax model converted into a SoS?

Working on this ruined rocks area. Can't decide if I want to apply some sand to the filler or if I want to leave it smoothish as it is now. Any thoughts?

What are you going for?
Fine sand or spackle or something like that? Then go with no sand.
If it's just stones between earth a few smaller bits of sand to add a bit of texture and variety is not a bad idea.

youtube.com/watch?v=1GSOZnPQ7eU Something along the lines of this video's end fight. It seemed the most fitting.

>tfw it's been your life for the past few years
>tfw table scattered with half-finished models all requiring something from a bits store
>tfw try to order some bits every month to finish models
>tfw some bits are always out of stock and those models will probably never get finished
>mfw get excited about a conversion idea and go through my bits

Same here right now. Got a bunch of stuff to convert but I'm still waiting on my magnets. I AM using this time to paint like a madman though, so it's not that bad.

Blimey, did you take my advice of doing blue over pink? Looks so much better than the original purple you had going.

I did Orc blood washes from Army painter over a pale flesh base. But based on your ideas yea.

Still have to paint the body and the other wing, but Alberich's mount is coming up nicely!

WIP Plague Marine test model.

Be honest. Do these split feet look like dicks?

mediafire.com/file/tga8ovd3peu17km/Figurepaintermagazine1to12.rar

First 12 issues of figure painter magazine. Top notch magazine by the guys at Paint and Putty. Very high quality models and tutorials and well worth a purchase since they're dirt cheap.

It's probably just a hobby thing for most people rather than a proper income, but what I don't get is why people hire others for painting their stuff in the first place. Takes away a large part of the fun in the hobby, doesn't it? For me the building/sculpting/painting of the miniatures is lke 95% if not more of the time I spend on my warhammers (not counting shitposting on Veeky Forums that is)

i personally like the feet

Plenty people dislike the painting.

I fucking hated painting my stuff for the longest time. Loved assembling, main reason I was in the hobby, but painting just felt like a chore. Painting didn't become something I like until I started making it routine.

Some do volume. If you really get it down with airbrush, base colors, wash, edge highlight, you can crank out a squad a day or even more

Others have taken to twitch streaming. If you have the personality for it and are willing to put in the effort to entertain people, twitch can be very lucrative.

Such is the painful life of a kitbasher/converter.

If you hadn't mentioned it I might not have noticed. It vaguely looks like it on the right foot.
Still, I think you did a good job so far.

Yeah I guess, I prefer converting/sculpting over painting too, but I don't think I'd ever pay for someone else to paint my dudes, feels like they'd lose a lot of the personal connection that way.

On another note, painted my first guy for the army I started a while back. Have posted a few WIP pics of the sculpting in progress, but havent gotten around to painting anything until now. Thoughts?
Went with some additional colours as it felt like I had too much red first.

Old WIP I posted a while back before paint.

Random spurts of water out the airbrush. What's that about?

hey guys, any suggestions in wich colour I should paint the stripes of my cataphracti terminators. I am going for a Salamanders scheme, so there will be lots of black and green on the armor.
So any idea wich colour would really work with black and green?

Red or yellow.

Too "Clean". Needs some gunk on it. Nurgle's rot, or typhus corrosion... Something, y'know? It's good otherwise. Maybe a teeny bit of nihilakh oxide on the copper bits?

are those aluminum foil rocks? looks good

Quick update on my chaos lord. Does this necron bit look sonic cannon enough to anyone? I made a little subwoofer in the middle, still on the fence a bit. I like it, but it bumps the claws of the lord's fist some

We're going to need more to diagnose it.
What brand, what psi, what paints, what are you using it for. General advice is disassemble, clean all of the parts, reassemble then test.

milliput in baking paper but I used to do it with tin foil. Was trying a new way but roughly same results, only difference is I broke it up 75% dry instead of 100%

I'd cut the prongs down halfway, otherwise it looks good

Looks different than the official sonic cannon, but it looks good regardless.
I'm not really up to date on the rules, but how does a lord take a sonic cannon? isn't it a heavy weapon? Or is there a variation of the theme they can use now?
Askin because it seems to be bigger than bolter sized judging by the melta next to it.

Check your water trap. Purge your bleeder off the bottom of your air tank, if you have one. Intermittent bursts of water screams water in the air supply to me. If that doesn't do anything, then

Orange

This so much. I made the amazing(ly shitty) decision to buy Harlequin models as my first army I wanted to paint and play in the tabletop

Some progress on the Sekhmets and Phosis. Don't know who has the patience to do full scarab occult termies, the trim is fiddly as fuck.

>I made the amazing(ly shitty) decision to buy Harlequin models as my first army I wanted to paint and play in the tabletop

Why did you make your life so complicated?

When I bought my first box of RTB-01 beekees, I picked Blood Angels for no better reason than I had several bottles of red Testors flat enamel on hand. Keep in mind that they were just "red space marines" until 1996, when they actually got their own roolz.

The little release pin thing? Does look like some condensation.

Starting my not-Necromunda ork gang, starting with the boss nob.

If you've got sonic weapons throughout your army, I'd say try to stick to a similar look. Honestly it looks more laser shooty than sound. 40k has my mind programmed into thinking about sound based weapons as grilles with faces molded around them but if you replicated the look across the army it could work.

Posting the update of my Nurgle Gorebeast. It's pretty much done now, besides a final looking-over.

What do you think?

Final pic.

Is the guy who was sculpting and painting a great unclean one in here today? I wanted to show a friend a picture of their model

make a C
O
L
L
A
G
E

looks pretty nice actually tho, cant wait to see it painted

Yeah, most water traps just have a little pin that sticks out the bottom; just push it in and you'll purge the trap.

Thanks! I'm not that good a painter since I'm a newcomer to the hobby but I find myself actually looking forward to painting, which is something I otherwise kinda dread.

How would I go about creating collages? I'm pretty inept at computer stuff.

Using it as a proxy for the burning brand of skalthrax or the new emperor's children relic thing. I'm just fluffing out the model as a huge sound cannon.

Anyone use the FW etched brass before? Would just free handing and getting decent at it be better?

WIP pls help
I'm making a missile launcher guardsman and I want him to be wysiwyg which means he needs a lasgun in addition to the missile launcher. I want to make a lascarbine and put it on him but I don't know how to go about making a tiny sling for it.

Pic related it's the rest of his squad which I'm still working on

>Would just free handing and getting decent at it be better?
better in what regard?
I mean the brass adds three dimensional detail to your model. You cannot do that with only freehand.
You can get sheets with roman numberals and use that as squadmarkings instead of trying to paint it by hand or using water transfers though.

If you are good ad painting freehand you can add a lot of detail by hand, but it's painted on. A quick aquila here and there or another small icon on a beltbuckle can add a lot, with next to no effort aside form gluing it down.

Depends on what you are trying to do really.

Looks neat. Dig the Pig Iron heads.
You can get a carbine with folded stock from the tank accessory sprue iirc.
In any case it'd probably be easiest to glue the rifle to the back of the mini and add the strap with a bit of thin plastic card.
I did that on the drummer here.

>that green
>that yellow
>those trips
10/10 that's what orcs should look like

thx.

I will think about it and post the final result.
But it might take a while, got to finish my devastator squad first.

Gesso is supposedly supposed to go on thicc and dry smooth, which is what I saw in the article I read. However, I'm leery and testing it on a poor wych. This is white Pro-Art Gesso mixed with Dragon Black from reaper.
What little has dried is showing promise. We'll see after work.

Reason I got em was I co-purchased the Death Masque box with a friend when that was still a thing, and I just simply preferred the Harlequins to the Deathwatch. Should I post pictures for everybody to tear me to shreds?

Some marines iv been painting, thoughts?

Gurgled a bit so hopefully that's what it was. Cheers.

Behold the aquamarines. Looks good, custom chapter? Really like the hand print you freehanded

>Some marines iv been painting
>iv
>
>Mk IV armour

I see what you did there!

Heeey, that's pretty good.
Dunno if I like the nutella bases though.