We had a good thread a few days ago about what tropes the future of space in the 1950s are...

We had a good thread a few days ago about what tropes the future of space in the 1950s are. What's the equivalent of the 1970s?

Other urls found in this thread:

ritkanlathatotortenelem.blog.hu/2015/04/23/regi_magyar_diafilmek_16_merenylet_a_vilagurben
ritkanlathatotortenelem.blog.hu/2015/01/09/regi_magyar_diafilmek
ritkanlathatotortenelem.blog.hu/2017/01/18/fenyes_jovonk#more12128721
youtube.com/watch?v=EwZhKGgmoUI
youtube.com/watch?v=eCsT_ocYDZ0
youtube.com/watch?v=DE1NzC0xd-U
youtube.com/watch?v=YMbSpnlOOtE&t=47s
youtube.com/watch?v=b4jWyyhyxSg
youtube.com/watch?v=uTtVbivvwA4
youtube.com/watch?v=s2woSXodh28
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump for interest

1970s sci-fi was inspired by new-age, psychedelism and ecologism. We move away from humanity is the master of space, to humanity is part of space, and from technology solves all problems to technology might cause problems. Space travel was also losing its glamour and becomes more like sea travel during the 1930s-1940s (Alien, Star Wars, Captain Harlock).

Some movies and anime:
Star Wars
Alien
Planet of the Apes
Mad Max
Cobra
Captain Harlock
Galaxy Express 999
Space Battleship Yamato

Some authors:
Jean-Claude Mézières
Philippe Druillet
Jean "Moebius" Giraud
Alejandro Jodorowsky
H. R. Giger
Richard Corben
Enki Bilal
Buichi Terasawa
Leiji Matsumoto

You forgot Barbarella

Barbarella is from the 1960s. That's why I didn't mention it, but it was already a step in that psychedelic direction 1970s sci-fi would go.

The 1970s were also the time where post-apocalyptic fiction was getting popular. Mad Max, Judge Dredd, Planet of the Apes, The Omega Man, A Boy and His Dog, Simon Du Fleuve. Even Valérian and Laureline had one or the other post-apocalyptic episodes.

Age of Aquarius, Autists being actual Newtypes, going back innawoods to small, self-sufficient communities, that sort of stuff.

Space+Vietnam+drugs+sex+funk+ColdWar = space 70's

Nothing about these screams 70s to me.

Everything is made from coloured plastic
People dress in togas and go barefoot
Obnoxious electronic sound effects from everything
Social commentary so hamfisted you'd think Marx himself wrote it
Everybody's talking in monotonous voices like they're on drugs... which they probably are

The 70's were the worst decade in many respects and in sci-fi as well.

Good examples:

Logan's Run
THX 1138
Zardoz
Solaris
Soylent Green

70s did give us Star Wars.

70s sci fi is wonderful

shit taste mate

ritkanlathatotortenelem.blog.hu/2015/04/23/regi_magyar_diafilmek_16_merenylet_a_vilagurben
ritkanlathatotortenelem.blog.hu/2015/01/09/regi_magyar_diafilmek
ritkanlathatotortenelem.blog.hu/2017/01/18/fenyes_jovonk#more12128721

Have some 1960-70's style Soviet and Hungarian retro sci-fi. Enjoy it responsibly.

youtube.com/watch?v=EwZhKGgmoUI

This movie is a fucking treasure trove.
youtube.com/watch?v=eCsT_ocYDZ0

>He remembered the Funk!
Based user.

THE GUN IS GOOD.

youtube.com/watch?v=DE1NzC0xd-U

youtube.com/watch?v=YMbSpnlOOtE&t=47s

youtube.com/watch?v=b4jWyyhyxSg

i don't know if i just saw this trailer and read the summary or if i actually watched it whole. i had absolutely forgotten about it.

Star Wars-like Mysticism.

It's basically Skynet (except for wanting to rule, not exterminate humanity) takes over the world. Pretty well done.

>This is my fetish.

youtube.com/watch?v=uTtVbivvwA4

THE GUN IS GOOD!
THE PENIS IS EVIL!

Would solarpunk and Afrofuturism be similar?

Star Wars is unique because the appearance has a lot of 70s sci fi elements, especially with the rebellion if you freeze frame on extras, but is really more like early sci fi from the 30s/40s/50s in terms of story and themes.

This weird mix makes it harder to just see star wars as a 70s sci fi, since hallmarks like shitty computers and psychedelic nonsense are absent but it still holds onto some of the subtle visuals. You get the shiny golden exterior of C-3PO which looks more like what we thought robots looked like in the 30s, but not the insistence on talking with stilted digitized dialogue. You get the mysticism of Jedi but without making it about space hippy powers and opening your mind maaaaan. You get the under romanticized combat from the era, but without having to shoehorn blatant messages about not bombing Asians.

The reason why star wars is fun is the inverse of why everything Veeky Forums makes sucks; its a mish mash of good ideas that have been done well before, without having to reverse engineer the entire world to fit the tropes and themes.

Star Wars would have been a boring already forgotten movie with zero sequels if George Lucas got the rights to make a full on Buck Rodgers/Flash Gordon (can't remember which) movie or just settled for a knock off. Instead he made something new by combining Japanese, Western, and older Sci-Fi elements into a self-sustaining setting that didn't need to check off the boxes on what was AWSUM to be awesome.

Now compare to any Veeky Forums creative thread where people toss in tropes they like in the here and now with seemingly appropriate themes that never go anywhere.

>but everything under the sun has been done before!!! Here's this tv tropes article to justify the use of tvtropes!

Which is why no one on here is going to make anything of value while they still believe that shitty excuse.

>Afrofuturism
What is this?

>m-muh originality
>everything must be weird and le yooneek for its own sake

>Veeky Forums creative thread
More like "Veeky Forums rehashing thread", am I right

Bump

0/10 faget

cience Fiction was smart for the first time. Really dystopian, lotta societal critisicm. Bet writer in that era was John Brunner who wrote four of best science fiction novels ever from 1968 to 1975

Cigars and genocidal robots.

Star Trek idealism meets reality? I think a lot of space filk originated in da '70's...

>I'm entertained when someone takes a bland piece of shit and color swaps it
>How dare you suggest we haven't pandered enough to my low standards

Fantasy is worse off because people like you enjoy a product made popular by great thinkers but refuse to move out of their shadow. Back in the day people who studied languages and culture for a living wrote fantasy, now its popular with people who literally use fantasy as an excuse to dismiss those fields.

Tolkien made entire languages, you just rehash a caricature of his creations and call it good.

Niggers in SPACE. Think of blacksploitation.

This. 70's sf is when sf got a dose of raw humanity injected into it. So lot's of fantastical things started to crop up. Previous sf was more machines and ideals; in the 70's, sf was more people and feelings and relationships.

It's about being human, mindfully human, about choosing to be the best human possible. It's about breaking out of your preconditioning and becoming a fully-rounded human being who cares about others.

So what's your take on the Sanderson school of autistic worldbuilding?

Space Station 76 is exactly this
youtube.com/watch?v=s2woSXodh28
(I wouldn't recommend actually watching the movie though, it was pretty bland)