Bolt Action/WWII/General

Bolt Action is the leading 28mm World War II tabletop wargame, using miniature soldiers, tanks and terrain to fight battles in the shattered towns of occupied France, the frozen steppes of Russia or even the sweltering jungles of the Pacific.

Other urls found in this thread:

boltaction.easyarmy.com/PlatoonSelector.aspx
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I literally have 6000 pts worth of Germans and 2000+ of Soviets. Surely I'm not the only one who plays.

Bolt Action is fucking cringe as fuck seeing as veterans of this war are still alive. Jesus, wait a decade at least

And yet there are movies and video games dating much further back than 2012 when this game came out. I think 3/4 of a century is a long enough time that this isn't disrespectful. My opinion of course but as popular as it is it must be a common opinion.

Also as a veteran myself I feel that "re-enacting" these battles is actually an honor. If you read into it they have met with many of the surviving veterans to get their thoughts and feelings and they were universally positive. Also, it's just game.

My father plays British, also has like 3000+ pts
We do some Company level engagements

Hold the crossroads is my favorite battle to fight

>Real Life
Everybody plays Bolt Action, it essentially collects people who are crying about 40K's latest iteration. I cry as I watch friends take as many assault rifles as they can and zerg rush with German infantry

Hardly anybody plays FoW, Chain of Command or IABSM and you have to work for your games

>On tg
There's a perma-thread for Flames and the "Historical" thread is probably the best on the board. Bolt Action is nowhere to be seen

For the first time I think I like /tg better than real life.

I'm being a shitposter... I actually like Bolt-Action, I have a Finnish Platoon, I play with my friends, we have fun... I cry inside that I can't get them to play something better!

This probably depends where you live and what your local clubs are like

>my real life
We all play Ostfront at 1/72 scale, and sometimes the older guys at club play TANKS! at 15mm. FoW sometimes makes an appearance, but I haven't seen it in years. Bolt-Action nowhere to be seen.

We need to do more second sino-japanese games...

I feel you. Bolt Action is not my favorite game (even if I think it works very well mechanically), but it gets the most play at my club.

Fortunately only about 1/3 of the players come from a 40k background and the rest are in it either or for history or because it's got momentum.

I will say though, pushing around my 1/48 Tamiya tanks is way more satisfying than my 1/100 Zvedzvas.

Nearly everyone I know who plays BA is a "ideologically pure Wehrmacht" type who plays krauts for MUH ASSAULT RIFLES and MUH TIGERS

It basically put me right off the game because it turned WW2 into TIGERS EVERYWHERE

The sole exception was a guy with a beautifully painted and converted French Resistance force

who would regularly turn up for a game and end up against the "not actually SS Panzer division, these ones aren't the bad Germans"

well BA doesn't have a general but it's pretty big in HWG, also IABSM and CoC are the shit, i wish i had more then a person playing it with me.

>Twofatlardies games
I occasionally go to an old man wargame several town over, to be the youngest by a couple of decades, to get a game in.

Worse yet the community such as it exists seems to not be online, as far as I can tell it exists amongst the old-guard who... I dunno, leave their basements and shit!

The miniatures page has a decently active community of old people

Fucking what? This must be bait, no one can be this stupid.

It wouldn't be disrespectful even if it was 1946
Wargames have been around a long time and people do current conflicts in them all the time

Yeah that's terrible, all of our group are military veterans so we play for the historical accuracy. We build our list based off of real life tactics and doctrine

We should totally have a BA general every now and then

We took 40k's Kill Team game and made our own Bolt Action one...the two games we've played have gone really well. Lots of fun!

I've got a lot of the epubs, I need to make a Mega

Does anyone have a printable reference sheet for the new BA2 rules?

More from our Kill Team game

Love me some BA

1st BA game I played a year ago, DDay Normandy!

Does bother anyone else that the LMG and MMG both are 36" and then HMG is also 36" but only 3 shots

I wish I had an airbrush though

I actually don't see a good reason why the HMG wasn't upgraded like the others

Upgrading pintle mounted MMGs costs too much to be viable anyway, so I can't see a reason why

Wow, nice paint job!

I was hoping they would FAQ it but no such luck

rules for it available?

/hwg/ is a thing. You're welcome.

>Bolt Action is nowhere to be seen

Wrong. BA is a very frequent topic in /hwg/ and lots of people in there play it. (some hate it too). If you want to discuss some aspects of your list or general stuff like mini suppliers, /hwg/ will be helpful. (At least i will).

That sucks, but a Tiger + AR-Vets list usually isn't that strong.

I don't mind seeing a specific game general popping up every now and then, especially for a game like Bolt Action.
I love /hwg/, easily the best dynamic and friendliest of any ongoing thread on this site, but sometimes it gets old when they suggest playing games that are incredibly obscure or that virtually no-one plays all in the name of "BA sucks cuz its World War Warhammer".Sometimes I just want to fuck around with little painted army guys and I don't mind using a "mainstream" system because it's easier to find other players.

about 2000pts apiece for USMC, Japs, Winter Germans, and Winter Soviets

Really dig 2nd edition, they fixed so many problems. I'm not crazy about templates being back but it's a minor complaint and the only issue I've experienced.

What is the standard point size for this game?

1000pt Reinforced Platoon
but I like to run bigger 2000pt games

actually they changed it to 1250

>tfw you're 90% done with 70 slavs and realize that you're only halfway done painting your army

The T34 platoon was a mistake. A beautiful, reckless, insane mistake.

Still need to highlight these guys, paint the molotovs, and finish the basing, but pretty happy so far.

I just got a shit-ton of germans. How did you paint your dudes? I'm assuming you assembly-line pained. I'm thinking I want to do the basecoat and quickshade method, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to do it.

I assembly lined them. All 70 of the little bastards in one go. It involved a lot of binge watching south park and Archer, as well as a lot of liquor, but it's worth it.

It's the Only real way for me to catch up on all my painting projects I have laying around without going mad. I've got 4 bolt action armies alone, not to mention 3 flames of war armies, 5 40k armies, a DZC army, both bugs and MI for starship troopers, and countless other small projects that I know I"m forgetting.

Never go full retard by the way, it's a special kind of hell kiddos.

>buy bolt action assault on normandy starter set
>buy tiger and puma off kind user on Veeky Forums
>buy a couple of shermans off ebay
>assembled all of it
>painted most of my troops and the terrains done
>start on armour
>going on holiday
>make bed and leave bolt action box at pillow in centre of bed
>its sitting out the way of everyone
>nobody has any reason to go near it
>come back from holiday
>box on the floor
>open it
>all bolt action minis are busted
>arms snapped off
>headless troops
>broken aerials, guns and armour barrels
>family all blame each other
>mfw
>mfw can only post one pic to show my rage

Wow, that blows. No one will say what happened?

Is the damage completely irreparable?

nope they all said "Wasn't me I have no reason to do that" and blamed each other. Looks like I'm going to have to file the old glue away and remove the guns from the arms and paint and glue them all back together. Loks of filing painting and gluing ahead. Thats on top of my saga minis

are you seeking to get some reperation out this

also i just bought one of warlords new stuart kits i like getting the wreakage tokens but i don't get the cards they seem unnecessary they don't really add anything.

Unless your Saga army is Peter's peasant crusade or Hereward the Wake it won't take you that much time.

It's still going to be a pain in the ass though.

well I have the 40 saxon theigns 40 hirdmen and then another 4 saxons which I bought from Warlord but yeah it shouldnt take too long

Nah no chance with that lot. Like blood out a stone. It's more the fact that I specifically put them out of the way where nobody would have any reason to go near them and STILL someones fucked with them.

yeah isnt the card just like a fact file? Also thats one nice kit I saw it on Beasts of war. Hopefully Warlord will go back and reproduce a lot of their kits in plastic. Metal is a lot of hassle and I've seen/heard horror stories regarding their resin kits

What kind of Saga forces are you putting together, Anglo-Danes and Vikings?

To keep some Bolt Action in this, does anyone have a good painting guide for US Airborne?

Yeah hoping to have anglo-danes who I can break down into smaller groups of anglo-saxons and vikings then once I get the hang of the game I can add to them and bring in other factions. Also I dont I'm afriad I have the warlord american painting guide but thats more infantry and tanks

no it contains points cost, armour, you know in game stuff.

but the game dosen't have any really unique individual weapons or stat profiles

Did you get the Dark Age Warriors box too?
A really good place to start with any Saga faction is 4pts - 2 hearthguard and 2 warriors.

ah I see its probably just like a quick reference sheet a bit like what you get in the boxed sets so you can have them off hand

I have a pseudohistorical skirmish scenario I am building, Rimini, Italy 1944. Veteran Panzergrenadiers vs Ghurkas. I have some of it built, but I got distracted by other tabletop stuff before finishing it.

Other than the assorted infantry, I have a couple of M3 Stuarts and a couple Bren carriers vs a StuG, Pz.Kpfw, and a Kubelwagen.

not got the Dark age warriors box yet I'm thinking that will be next after my vikings arrive. Then I'll look into some terrain houses or just make my own

forgot to add a pic. Also I'm thinking of buying a box of soviets or commandos with the warlord discount code just so I can switch it up and have a smaller quicker game with a friend. Maybe like annihilation skirmish rules or something. Capture the farm or w/e

can't go wrong with a whole mess of soviets, tovarishch. Especially if you get some t-34s for them to ride on.

So are you planning on just building 4 points worth of hearthguard?

>bolt action general

Oh fuck yes it's time.

So I see a lot of people complaining that Hanomags aren't worth it. But since I have two and I think they are cool as fuck, I made a mechanised infantry list. It's "Generic platoon", but its an Operation Citadel list + begleit + Stuh (which for some reason isnt available). My army is based around Kursk so I thought panzerfausts are shit and I also don't take assault rifles.

Pioneers go into the 251 with panzerbuchse, begleit on the Stuh, Grenadiers in the other 251. Still in doubt if I should take a sniper or MMG team for this.

Will I get absolutely murdered with this list?

Any tips on making a Japanese list? What points should I run them at? Is there anything that I should avoid taking? Is there anything that is an "auto grab" or that I should always take?

Sorry, to be a bother. I'm just really new to bolt action and don't know what to take as there are many options.

I wish I could provide advice but I haven't really played much of 2nd yet.

Gotta be 18 to post here, kid

Bait. Bait. Don't take the bait.

Love the formatting on your list, you type that up or is there some list builder I'm unaware of?

Bolt action Facebook group dude

Google bolt action easy army- not that poster but its helped me loads user

This is a fishing pole

Does anyone have any tips for making those fancy Warlord pin markers readable?

I'm thinking of maybe spraying the base part white and inking, or black and drybrushing.

t.infinity player
go back to yiffing

Now now, that's uncalled for. There's room for both Bolt Action and Infinity (not in this thread though).

To try to keep it more BA related: does anyone know a good alternative for Japanese tanks? I'm in love with the 1/48 Tamiya stuff for my Murricans, but as far as I can tell there's no Japanese alternative.

BAMBO SPEARS!

boltaction.easyarmy.com/PlatoonSelector.aspx
You gotta make an account, which will then save your lists too. It's an amazing site/armybuilder, but not 100% foolproof so if you are going to play competitions, better doublecheck with your books if everything is correct.

Also, if you click top right on "view/OOB" you'll get the html version. Then click PDF for PDF (duh), but if you click on email it will not only send you an email (to whatever mail adress you made your account with) with the list, but it will also contain exactly what sort of minis you need to bring, see pic related. This is not on the PDF but for some reason only when you get your shit mailed to you.

The firey ones? I havent used them yet for exactly that reason, but I'm thinking of painting the base black, drybrush the numbers white and the pointy but that sticks out from the flame on one side bright orange or something. Painting those is very low on the priority list though, dice work fine and I still got like 40 nazis to paint.

Those are the ones. I just can't imagine what the guy who OKed those was thinking.

my guess is £££

I guess, but I don't know anyone who has them who didn't get them out of one of Warlord's starter sets (either BA or Gates of Antares).

Don't get me wrong, I think those pin markers are a cute idea - I just wish they were readable.

Yeah, I got em for free with an order for a wargaming convention. They arent as useless as the blind/turret jam/tracked etc markers that also came with them. Can't see shit on those at all. The HE ring is nice though.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten all about those markers. I agree that the ring is nice.

I guess we've just got to wait for v3 for decently designed accessories.

I play Wehrmacht too, midwar. Even though I can put assault rifles, panzerfausts and Tigers in my list I don't use either because
1) There were no assault rifles in '43
2) panzerfausts in '43 were absolutely shit
3) Tigers are expensive as fuck

And I play "ideologically pure wehrmacht" because Waffen SS camo is an absolute bitch to paint, I'm way too lazy for that.

I'll take Pioniere and PzIII/PzIV/Stug over Tigers everytime. Tigers are beautiful monsters but for 395 points you can have a Pak40, a Stug/Stuh and a fully loaded Pioneer squad, which also means you'll have 2 more dice for initiative.

If your enemy has a Tiger in a 1000 point battle, that means you will have at least 3 dice more to ignore it and fuck up the little amount of dudes he has left, or completely encircle the Tiger and shoot it in the rear. That's nearly half his platoon points gone in one beautiful explosion.

Also, if the battlefield is any good it will have a fuckload of terrain, so you can easily hide from that super heavy gun.

I'm painting a Jagdtiger in Afrika Korps colours, to go with my Afrika Korps army.

How triggered are you, rivet counters?

I find a small D6 works fine too. Also for wounds on fixed team units. Red die for pins, white for dudes shot.

Then again, I do have those pin markers anyway so I will probably paint a few of them, one day.

>tfw want to get into bolt action
>seems just as expensive as 40k
>metal minis are the norm still last i checked
am I wrong? Help a nigga out, I was thinking of proxying any bolt action minis I owned as guardsmen.

I've just been using dice likewise. But I've got those damned things and I figure I should try to get some use out of them.

Tons of plastic from Perry (if you're into NAfrica) and Warlord.

Also I got started with a 500+ point US army for about 60USD. One box of soldiers and a Tamiya tank.

Since Jagdtigers were around from late 44 on and Afrika Korps was done for halfway '43, You will probably not win any prizes for "best themed army", but you might get one for "most original army".

That said, on a scale from 1 to 10 triggers I'm about a 3. Afrika Korps had super cool looking tanks and armoured cars already, so it's a shame you have to get yourself a jagdtiger.

what should I start out with? Was thinking soviets since I already play Germans in Flames of War

>The sole exception was a guy with a beautifully painted and converted French Resistance force
Sorry if I'm being stupid but is there rules for that ?

There are plenty of good looking plastic boxes with 25/40 dudes in them for around 25 bucks. But lets start at the beginning; which nation would you like to play? Germany, USA, Russia, Britain, Japan basic armies are fairly cheap to start.

You really can't go wrong with a box of plastic troops and a tank. You can build your officers and sniper(etc) teams from that one box.

Just be careful since Soviets get a free 11 raw recruits to throw onto the field.

My "meta" is extremely casual though.

mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action

Armies of France and Allies has partizans

was thinking Soviets, I love playing WWI guard in 40k

Does Bolt Action have anything for the Spanish Civil War or other Interwar conflicts yet?

My buddy has Soviets too. If you don't want to shell out 90 pounds for an army box in one go, just get a box of soviet infantry and a siberian veterans, that will get you 74 bolsjeviks to make out the vast majority of your army. Out of that you can also make a sniper team, an HQ unit. Now you only need some support in the form of an AT gun, a clown car, or a T34 or something and you're good to go.

Basically a standard 1000 point army is

HQ (2 or 3 guys)

2 mandatory infantry squads
1 to 3 extra squads
then pick or take all between
1 mortar (because they are the shit)
1 sniper unit
1 MMG unit
and finally, if you have points left, transports, a tank, an armoured car, an anti tank gun, howitzer or whatever you think is cool.

But you can always just go with a ton of infantry squads only and do well, as long as they have some form or shape of anti tank material with them (even anti tank grenades, which you dont need to buy as models, its just +2 points per guy and you're set)

I built my German forces over the course of half a year time, I didn't have the $$$ to spend 100 bucks in one go, especially since I also needed paints and basing stuff. I still haven't even bought the rule book or army book, the PDF's do fine for now.

thanks m8

There were wargames and whole miniature ranges made for Iraq and Afghanistan back in the 2000s.

Merci mon ami.

I'm looking to get into Bolt action and I'm still wondering what kind of army I want to, I'm still toying with the idea of making a french force that could be used (whole or parts of it) in early and late war.

I just noticed the Siberian Vets also come with Commissar and MMG team, so you don't even need to get those seperately. So you're about 80/90% set with just those two boxes.

One thing though, Soviets have a LOT of dudes on the table (12 man squads, extra free infantry squad as well) so be prepared to do a buttload of mind numbing painting.

That might be tricky with most armies considering the vast amount of one-upping all sides did, but I don't know what the Frenchies had different early/late. Also be prepared to have a bit harder time with finding models, French are not as well represented as the main nations.