MTG Spoilers

Trickling out.

Other urls found in this thread:

markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/159015172048/is-aven-mindsensor-the-only-invocation-card
youtube.com/watch?v=RRCp0M3ozmU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>serpopard

Well this card looks shitty in standard already

Will Cat Snake see action in Modern?

Also here's a good piece of thinning.

>Not Dr Seuss Edition

>Modern

Not many decks even play counterspells. Also the decks that do could just bolt this guy?

Definitely not made for modern

In order to be Modern playable, it'd need to be 1CMC and either hexproof or not be boltable.

>Control babs upset they can't stop people from playing the game

>yfw OG counterspell in this set

That would actually be a cool move from WotC so they won't do that

They'll print another gimped Mana Leak with horrible downsides

What, you think wizards made them up?

>Turn 3 Cat Snake
>Turn 4 Hydra
>GG

Read that as a 1/3 at first and wasn't impressed.
Looks ok desu.

I know already that they existed in Egyptian Mythology, because I'm a pleb who reads Rick Riordan books, but it's still pretty fucking dumb to call those things "serpopards."

>Also they're as racially incoherent as I'm!
>At last I feel at home, but also not.

Meh, it makes sense for his character. He was born on Theros, after all.

This all but confirms that basic landcycling is returning.

>aven mindcensor confirms cycling is back
>not the second image in the thread which has a cycle cost on it

>A 4/3 for 3 with not one but two powerful abilities is shit!
My god I hate this game so much.

learn to read

basic landcycling, you mong.

In standard right now both of his abilities are irrelevant

And sadly there are just better plays to make on turn 3. Rishkar shits on this snake.

He wasn't talking about normal cycling.

>counterspells don't exist in standard
nani?

How does something like this function?

It's easy, you just turn your card over and erase that little blue circle on the back

They don't exist in Standard's meta.

The card, or the creature?

That art looks like something I pastelled together in an afternoon in high school.

Right now it's not great, sure. But the sheer existence of the card ensure that counterspell based control will NOT exist in standard for the next 2 years.

Disallow exists and barely only makes it in Temur Tower as like maybe a 2 of. Every other counter spell is spell focused aka Negate. Also coincidentally Temur Tower has no problem with it's opponent wasting 3 mana on this card when it has other answers.

It's shit captain

Lmao no. You've no idea what you're talking about

I imagine it's mostly like a leopard that has an effective striking range with its bite, it must have incredibly powerful neck muscles

markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/159015172048/is-aven-mindsensor-the-only-invocation-card

AWW, THAT'S TOO BAD

>people forgetting this is bolas block and Baral was in the last set
Next set is gonna have effective counters
Remember this post

Already spoiled technically, but this version has the reminder text.

>italicized invocations
We might be getting some noteworthy reprints, then.

>counterspell based control will NOT exist
1it won't exist anyway
2control has to play removal too, you can just remove him easily

>Cheap creature that can't be countered; creatures you control can't be countered
>Embalming a creature isn't casting it, so it can't be countered
>cycling a card for its "when you cycle..." effect isn't casting a spell, so it can't be countered
>countered spells go to the graveyard, which is the only way to cast their Aftermath half

What is with all the fucking Counterspell hate? I'm starting to wonder if we're getting a normal reprint of Counterspell.

MaRo confirmed on his Tumblr that Mindcensor (and the Gods) will be the only Invocations to also get normal prints in the set. Since Counterspell was an Invocation...

Counter control AKA permission blue is a stifling, choking archetype that offends every other player at the table and should never have existed, but we're stuck with it as a result of MtG's addiction to its own legacy

I don't think it's supposed to be emphasis, maro just does weird stuff with magic related terms

No one likes control players, even wizards, despite their hardon for blue

>T. Timmyfag that cries everytime anyone pulls an infinite edh combo in his table because he can't use the stack

Counter control mirror matches are the highest form of MtG.

>assblasted whiner crying

there is literally nothing wrong with this card

Holy shit all these tabletop babies

>he countered Muh fatty, now I can't turn things sideways reeeeeee wee

Counterspells are blues removal and completely necessary to stop all kinds of fuckery

This is so true

That's why outdated formats with old unfun counterspells like Modern and Legacy are super unpopular and basically everyone is getting out of it now

And that's why standard where counterspells are rightfully not playable is as popular as it's ever been! Tournament attendance is through the roof and my LGS's have a huge parking and space problem every time they announce a standard event. I've even heard talk that pokemon and yugioh tcgs are shutting down due to the phenomenal no-counterspell attitude wotc is doing.

I'm the point where I know this is good in EDH.

It just means the opponent cant counter your creature spells anymore
duh

This sounds subtly sarcastic, but I don't know enough about player demographics to know if you're memeing or not. Is tournament attendance really up?

Also, jesus christ Capcha, what are you doing!?

Were you this buttmad when Avacyn came out or are counterspells a sacred cow for some reason?

lmao so salty

>all these triggered Timmy's in the thread

Let me guess...you play commander right? But of course not a blue commander

youtube.com/watch?v=RRCp0M3ozmU

This is what every anti-blue Timmy player I've come across sounds like all the time

Blue also has access to bounce, destroy and exile.

Blue already has plenty of removal

>mfw I play Time Stop after opponent Counterspells my Negate targeting his Rewind, and he responds with Mindbreak Trap

Counterspells have never had a prominent place in Modern.

This is incredibly true for casual players, I know because I play with a lot of them and they get upset if I even O-ring their beaters. Since Wizards is trying to cater to them counter control will likely not see the light until Wizards no longer finds the casual market more attractive than the current.

No, because 8-drops should be able to win the game on their own. If that had said "other permanents you control are indestructible and can't be countered," it literally wouldn't have been an issue.

bounce isn't removal. blue does not have more/better destroy or exile than green does.

I legitimately wish I were in that situation. If that happened to me, I'd remember that game forever.

You better cast your pact of negation with daze support to counter his force of will

Blue having access to destroy and exile was a fucking mistake, no matter how hard you fluff that.

Reminder that when you say something like this you basically confirm that you are bad at magic

Never met or talk with anyone that hated blue and counterspells so much that wasn't a casual player or a tournament player that always 0-X drops.

Whelp, that was fast, oh well, back to Pauper it is then.

>blue does not have more/better destroy or exile than green does

That wasn't the argument, the argument was counterspell being necessary for blue, despite the fact blue already has plenty of removal.

Green's removal is irrelevant, given blue has it + counter spells

They're secretly training autists to Git gud for the SATs and GREs so we can unleash you guys into campuses to make those fucking gender studies madwoman ragequit.

So why do you have a problem with a 3CMC sorcery speed rare that disables a very specific type of removal that's restricted to a single color and isn't even that color's only method of removing creatures?

A creature that can't be countered that makes it so that your creature spells can't be handled isn't a game winner, nor do it completely cripple blue. You're really overrating this card, in whatever format you play in.

I won an EDH match by rewinding a boardwipe, which my opponent responded by rewinding my rewind, so I copied my rewind with Meletis Charlatan, targeting his rewind. He scooped, and the other guy scooped because his only hope was the board being cleared.

It's not even a control deck, just a jank Mizzix pick up my deck/infinite turns.

Magic is a game of answers to answers to answers. I play a creature. You can trump it with a kill spell. I can trump that with indestructible. You can trump that with exile, pacifism, or tapping it down. I can trump that with Hexproof. You can trump that with Bonds of Mortality, Glaring Spotlight... Arcane Lighthouse? There's not a lot of those effects (yet) but there are answers even to those.

I cast an instant or sorcery. You counter it. And... we're done. What exciting interaction! Good use of strategy. I commend you on your deckbuilding, having the forethought to include those Mana Leaks. I never would've thought of such a clever plan.

That wasn't the point. I was trying to say that it's not worth caring about the incidental ways that blue can exile, just like it's not worth caring about the incidental ways that read can counter spells.

Blue has negate and spell pierce. Green has prey upon and lignify. As it should be.

I don't have a problem with the Serpopard (except with its name). I'm a different user from the other guy. I'm just defending counterspells

FLUCTUATOR IN MODERN ?

That's because being "good" at magic requires being adept at navigating counterspells, you arrogant twit. Of course people who are comfortable with that environment won't complain about it.
Literally what you sound like
>Never met anyone who hates waterboarding that wasn't someone who choked on their own vomit, just git gud and take the water torture like the pros

Your first scenario involves both players playing a bunch of shitty unplayable cards

Feel free to kill yourself now

I hate the fact that counterspells are almost an exclusively blue thing.

I'd like if all colours got some stack interaction.

>"why should I learn to hold my breath if I want to swim?!"

But blue's entire gimmick is saying "no, you're not allowed to do that" whenever an opponent tries to do something. Being able to interact with blue is bad, unless you're blue, because blue is the only color that's allowed to dictate how the game functions.

Yeah, that's fair.

I'd kill if green had a prey upon for spells. like, "G, counter target spell if you control a creature with power greater than its CMC."

You know you can counter counters too right? Or straight up render your spells uncounterable with Boseju or Cavern of Souls? Or just play uncounterable spells?

If you are shit then don't talk about the game faggot

>never won a game of baseball. Only played it once
>go to a baseball game
>bitch at players for not doing backflips when the catch the ball and not hitting other players with bats
>when someone calls you out on being a retard you just say "w-well I don't wanna get good a-anyway" :^)

That's only if you accept countering as an inevitability. It is nevertheless fundamentally poor game design.
Your analogy is certainly apt, because a better designed creature that wants to swim should have the capacity for underwater breathing.

Or red getting back some of it's redirection of spells.

I do care though, blue already has the strongest stack interaction with counterspell and the like. Not only that, it is allowed a re-do by bouncing a creature and then countering that creature when played again

It shouldn't also have polymorph, turn to frog, curse of the swine, and etc.

>I'd like if all colours got some stack interaction

There is plenty of instants and activated abilities in all colors. Don't be retarded

Yes. Whales and frogs are poorly designed creatures.

>Blue is allowed to 2-for-1 itself
What an advantage!

>You know you can counter counters too right?

I think the issue there is that 'Only blue has counterspells'. If counterspells were more spread out (Like how basically all colour has removal spells in some way or another, even if black gets the simplest/most effective) I don't think people would be quite so annoyed about counterspells.

>uncounterable spells
No. No. No. That's cancer. No. That's the sort of cancer that leads to modern magic. All cards should be counterable. To make a card non-counterable makes the card non-interactive in the worst possible way.

If I'm not able to counter any spell I like, then I'm not allowed to play the game and the color I'm playing is being rendered useless.

So should no spells have shroud/hexproof either? As that makes them untargetable on the battlefield and stops a LOT more interaction than not being counterable.

.t a blue player

This is what blue players actually believe?

No, it's not poor game design. It's imperfect game design. That's basically your entire problem. "oh, this isn't perfect game design, so it's bad."
Tell you what. I get to keep my 2 CMC counterspells, and you get to keep your 3 CMC land destruction. Happy?

>people bounce creatures so they can counter them again
>people don't bounce for the tempo play
Please do not talk about a subject you are ignorant of.

Given it already had a chance to stop the spell the first time, yeah that is an advantage.

>waaaaahhhh, wizards should only cater to me because I want to stop other people from playing
>I hate figuring out new ways to remove threats because I'm too smart for it

Yes.

Interactivity is the name of the game and blue is all about targeting the opponent's cards with spells. If I'm not allowed to bounce, polymorph or counter whatever you're playing, then I'm not being able to play the game.

Hexproof and "can't be countered" are non-interactive cancer mechanics.

Thanks, I'm gonna play my Prowling Serpopard in every format now. :^)

Shroud is okay, but hexproof is dumb.

No, just selfish players. user probably lost to an Emrakul or something and was pissed he couldn't do anything about it.

>Now I have to worry about every fucking color combination being able to counter something of mine this is fucking bullshit REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>Shut up, the only people allowed to talk about the game are the professionals!

That wasn't what I was trying to state.

It's the fact blue players shouldn't complain when they have stack interaction that other colors would die for + creature removal that is supposed to be the purvey of other colors

What about blue's 'Can't be blocked' creatures? That's taking away interactivity.