Halo: Ground Command

Anyone got any experience playing this?

Me and a friend are both massive Halo fans and have become disillusioned with 40k due to the costs so we're looking at small games to play with everything you need in a box.

We came across this and it ticks all the right boxes, im just wondering if anyone has any hands on experience with it.

Also, the models are fucking gorgeous for 15mm

shop.spartangames.co.uk/mobile/Product.aspx?id=40785

No experience. I've got a friend who's purchased a bunch of it and not yet assembled it.

It's a Spartan games product though, which means that it's probably already been left in the dust by those add riddled maniacs.

If you like HALO though, and don't care about it being a supported game, why not?

Oh yeah, just to add on. Even if the game is shite, there are still loads of miniatures agnostic 15mm sci-fi games out there.

I have no experience of Spartan Games so I had no idea they act like that, but given how big the Halo IP is hopefully they'll keep on top of it.

Thats a fair point, plus it seems pretty decent value for what you get.

Oh really? This is my first foray into 15mm. Ive only ever played 40k, x-wing and AVP.

I wouldn't count on the IP keeping Spartan on top of it. From what I understand they've already more or less forgotten about it.

Also, come over to /awg/ and ask about 15mm games. They're much more knowledgeable about it than I am.

Spartan has already largely discarded Fleet Battles. Do not buy and let the bastards die already.

Well this is disappointing to hear, but thanks for the heads up. I'll probably still pickup the core set as its cheap at my lgs but i guess i'll forget about the other stuff.

Really wanted that Pelican too!

A similar game with better support is Drop zone Commander. Created by an ex-Spartan guy who was tired of them fucking up. 10mm so slightly smaller scale.

Could the halo minatures be used instead of the DZC ones, despite the scale differences?

The players likely wont care as it would be a disadvantage to you regarding LoS issues assuming they have a faction you can proxy as

Depends on who you're playing with. I'm not sure how big a difference there is in the size of things like tanks (infantry size doesn't really matter). Could could pretty easily call UNSC as UCM and Covenant as Shaltari.

Okay, maybe not. Just looked up the size of shit in Halo and it's huge compared to Dropzone. Pretty sure the Scorpion is bigger than the largest Dropzone model.

Aww thats a shame. Thanks for looking it up though dude.

Hello new Storm Eagle.

I hear the "Spartan Games a shit" line a whole lot - as someone who has no experience with them, can I get a quick rundown?

>Bungie bows to Spartan Games
>in contact with the spirit of HG wells
>rumoured to possess psychic abilities
>control the biz with an iron fist
>own sweatshops and metalworks all over the world
>direct descendants of 343 Industries
>will bankroll the first cities on Epsilon Eridani (Spartangrad will be be the first city)
>Controls the Covenant leadership
>keeps the 10mm system down
>keeps the halos off the maps
>keeps the covenant under wraps
>holds back the electric car
>keeps Matt Ward a star
>own basically every DNA editing research facility on Earth
>first designer babies will be Spartan Babies
>Whole dev team said to have combined 200+ IQ
>ancient british scriptures tell of angels who will descend upon the Earth and will bring an era of enlightenment and unprecedented technological progress with them
>These are the staff of Spartan Games
>They own brass casting labs around the world
>You likely have their minis inside your closet
>Spartan Games are in regular communication with the Archangels Gary and Rob, forwarding the word of God to Wizards
>They learned fluent French in under a week
>Forge World entrust their brass reserves with Spartan Games.
>The studio is 6 years old, from the space-time reference point of the base human (2011)
>In reality, they are timeless beings existing in all points of time and space from the big bang to the end of the universe
>Spartan Games will guide the hobby into a new age of wisdom, balance and love

I will admit, that's what I was secretly hoping for, and Veeky Forums did not disappoint.

God bless you user.

The really quick rundown?

They make a (good) game, and then more or less just give up on supporting it in order to start working on / selling a new game.

Off the top of my head right now Spartan sells:

Dystopian Wars, Dystopian Legions, Armored Clash, Firestorm Armada, Firestorm Taskforce, Firestorm Planetfall, Halo ground battles, and Halo space fleet battles.

Recently people got pissed on their FB page when they announced some new project, Spartan acted all surprised and did a little survey, and is now releasing some more stuff for Dystopian Wars.

So they just go in too many directions at once and no one game is well supported or balanced? That sounds godawful.

More or less. And throw in a Kickstarter for almost every thing they start now.

They also have an atrocious sense of game design and fill crippling core mechanics holes half as slow as even GW considering theyve been modifying the same general ruleset for 9 games now.

I have actually played ground command. The game mechanics with vehicles are confusing. Every time I played there were rules conflicts.

>note I played four times so take this with a grain of salt

If your concern is cost, switch to a smaller scale. 15 or 10mm.