Ledger Nano S: Is it really tamper proof?

So I was stupid and ordered off of Amazon since it was cheaper and faster. The ledger claims to be tamper proof and I have verified it's authenticity, but give it to me straight.

After I initialized and set my new individual seed, is there ANY way for the Amazon seller to obtain that information? It should be flat out impossible without some sort of NSA level tech manipulation, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

steemit.com/ledger/@cryptohblock/how-to-verify-the-security-integrity-of-a-ledger-nano-s-and-how-to-not-ruin-one-in-the-process
blog.gridplus.io/hardware-wallet-vulnerabilities-f20688361b88
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>it can only hold 4 kinds of coins

Additionally I reset and restored the device multiple times and confirmed that it generated a random new seed each time. Is this thing fucking safe to use?

I wouldn't use that shit.

wow really? pathetic

i need a hardware/software wallet that can hold all my alt coins ffs

well , yea. if there were any known exploits then you'd hear about it.

recently people found that you can retrieve info off trezor by exposing it to low temps to slow down the data transfer.

it can 4 or 5 apps installed at a time. can hold as many coins as you want, just have to reinstall the app to manage them.

and no, the ebay or amazon seller cant get your keys unless they installed a whole new chip in it that only outputs the same seed

They can hold more, you just need to remove them/add them
Only takes a second
The coins don't go anywhere when the app is removed

and that it stores seed info in plaintext on memory, fuckin briliant

steemit.com/ledger/@cryptohblock/how-to-verify-the-security-integrity-of-a-ledger-nano-s-and-how-to-not-ruin-one-in-the-process

Slightly more in depth guide, use in addition the the guide on ledgers website.

I ordered directly from them, and will still open and check it.

Why? What could possibly have been done to it? The software and hardware check out and ledger claims that the device would not operate with their wallet if that were not the case. It will be a pain in the ass to buy another from paris but the things I do for piece of fucking my. God fucking damn it.

nope, no one tells you this but thats a huge limitation of the ledger. you need to have multiple ledgers for all your shitcoins.

alternatively you can install and remove the individual shitcoin apps as needed.

you've bought from a 3rd party seller. you will never be safe.
chain of custody has been broken. you will never again sleep well at night having this ledger.
need to buy another one.

>being this retarded

Yeah, that's a fair point.

the fucking scamming frog eating jews never specified that there is a limit on this thing

fuck off

user, it is fine, when you first start the device it wasn't already configured was it? No so I am sure it will be fine, how could the 3rd party seller do anything to it?

Just buy one directly from the Ledger website and don't be retarded.

dude I guess 3/4 of your coin are ETH token

In that case you just need the eth wallet

>it stores seed info in plaintext on memory, fuckin briliant
are you serious?
""""secure""""

I wouldnt worry about it. I bought mine a few weeks ago directly from ledger, I also remember reading that if yours was tampered with, it would be obvious the moment you plugged it in

Did you know that seeds must always be in plaintext at some point, otherwise you couldn't use them? Ledger does the same thing too.

Yes, but there is no need to store them in planetext. That's just inviting someone to dump the memory.

Store your big ones on there because if you lose them then fuck m8

However the Ledger stores your seed in a secure enclave making it a shit ton harder to get access to. The Trezor does not have a secure enclave yet somehow cost more.

blog.gridplus.io/hardware-wallet-vulnerabilities-f20688361b88

I got mine of Amazon too. Not worried in the slightest.

That was interesting to know, thanks

They are in plaintext in memory while the device has power. You don't get it. Encryption is not meant to protect you after you've unlocked it

I misunderstood, I thought he was saying it was stored in plaintext on NVRAM/solid state storage.
While it is powered is perfectly understandable.

This is wrong