Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

How would you do a game with airships, sky pirates, skydoms, etc. right? Other than by not bamboozling the players.

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/67321/legacy-of-blood-and-flame
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/70552/shardwalkers
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/72295/wild-weird-west
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/73064/blingmaker
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/73477/blood-in-the-fangwood
paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/ultimateCombatVehicles.html#air-vehicles
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I bamboozle the players

initiate bamboozle

What races makes the best stock for slaves?

How much does backstory even come up at tables? It should be a short thing to explain where they got their abilities and why they act the way they do. Personality is way more important than backstory detail from what I've seen.

Minos :^)

This.

Katapesh wasn't a pleasant place as it was--it had literally nothing going on but slaves and drugs and generic-ass "TRADE"--but this one's a little too far in the other direction.

Agreed, personality is more important, I care about how your character acts, not their backstory.

It depends on the nature of the campaign.

women

Halflings are docile, bright and easy to break.

oh jesus fucking christ somebody went and made a daddy app for Blingmaker.

All you need is an adventurer. How can you not come up with an adventuring concept? It's the easiest possible idea to execute.

Yeah, really. I would have picked something other than Outlander, but everything else was hyper fucking specific and you have trouble justifying more than one person with that trait. Outlander is great because you can have a whole party of outlanders and the adventure will work without any alterations.

Really, campaign traits just suck ass.

I usually like to go from "what mechanics do I want to use for this campaign" to "what class/archetype does that best without feeling like a narrative mess" to "write a backstory that explains those mechanics" to "develop personality from backstory events, thinking through how they'd react to different things"

Sometimes it's in reverse or just a different process but the underlying idea is mostly the same. I can have a well written character that I won't want to play because I hate what actual mechanics I can use at the table.

>campaign traits are specific
>waaah i don't wanna make a character for the campaign
>waaah i wanna make a waifu and get fucked by daddy

I know right, he's been shilling themselves for the last two threads!

Have you been paying attention with how the most popular characters - and the ones actually getting into games, have concepts more complex than "he picks up how sword one day and leaves to adventure?"

I usually come up with a weird gimmick for a character and then try to fit a personality to it

So I tried changing around Essa's back story to make sense in the setting, and adding in general corruption on the part of the slave honor and law enforcement to make things fit since you aren't allowed to abuse slaves under law.

Same with the change to make Essa's father figure be framed for theft.

Overall I am still not sure if I am violating bits of the setting. I read through parts of the document but I should give it a more extensive look. Did anyone see something blatantly against the setting document?

I mean you can still make a character that fits the campaign without campaign traits. They're pretty much just a jumping off point if you're having trouble.

When you're done making a stupid reduction, attempt to reply again. The problem here is that you HAVE to take a campaign trait. And guess what? Most of them are really limiting except Outlander.

You have to pick a campaign trait from the listed ones for LoBaF.

No? They're usually gimmick or waifu builds.

Yeah, like RORY right? Or PLD, all you had to do there was have a complex backstory, and agree to have the DM rape you.

PLD doesn't count.

everyone who got into raunchy was pretty straightforward

define 'gimmick'

I'm talking in general. It's an honestly unnecessary stipulation.

This is very untrue.

You design your character to either do all the things or do one thing.

>gimmick
Their personality section may as well be ripped from tvtropes.

Visionary and Gnoll Slayer seem pretty broad to me. Earning your Freedom is probably the worst offender with the setting document in mind.

What disappoints me with outsiders isn't that they're outsiders but that as far as I can tell, all of them have a pretty loose lead into the game. There's gotta be a way to take that trait but make it so it has to be Katapesh you go too, and not just anywhere else. I don't know, maybe a character in search of a wishing lamp or a foreigner with a vested interest in the culture or legends.

WotR has the benefit of an open call to adventure and a very strong railroad with no escape though.

You literally spend all of book 1 underground

these two don't mix

please name one gimmick

What's the best way to get flight with SoP?

Who makes characters with actual personality rather than just gimmicks? Anyone who applies to /pfg/ games? Do they actually get into games?

Yes they do. Don't be offended. /pfg/ just has shit taste, but you managed to appeal to it so good on you!

What culture are Gnolls meant to represent?

Ok name a gimmick character, and how do they not have actual personality.

Or did you not even read the app and look beyond the surface level

>Alteration
>Lycanthropic Drawback->Lingering Transformation
>Beast Soul(Elemental Transformation)
Done. You also get a Swim options and a burrowing option.

Gnoll slayer is pretty fucking bad, though. What kind of fucking idiot would take that? Visionary is perhaps too good.

The impoerant thing is - different GMs have different criteria and different interests. What appeals to sleep is probably different from what appeals to RgPl, or Argent, etc.

The thing is with an AP that the lead in hook is usually just to get the party together. After the first 1~2 sessions you'll generally be given a hook that binds everyone together. Unless the DM is going to go majorly off the rails investing too heavily in other stuff actually harms your ability to continue the AP.

If it was NOT an AP I'd agree with you user, but Paizo AP's are railroads, you have to be willing to go with the flow.

I didn't say they didn't have a personality.

Just that all the /pfg/ favorites are ripped from /tv/ tropes.

I want confirmation on my theory that the WotR was built entirely around Lucius!

Swedish.

name one, explain how they are ripped from TVtropes.

I don't know if my characters have "actual" personality or just "gimmick" personality, or any personality at all for that matter.

Can I still use a weapon, cast, and use maneuvers as an elemental?

Interesting theory, what characters are you going to use to test it?

Gimmick is a slightly derogatory word but I do genuinely feel it's something necessary.
A good character needs a solid well thought out foundation, and also a gimmick as the icing on top, to stand out.

All foundation and no gimmick means you have something that's well written but also Standard Tough Warrior #452, all gimmick and no foundation means you get... well, I won't name names but I think pfg knows.

Africans?

name names don't be a pussy

>all gimmick and no foundation means you get... well, I won't name names but I think pfg knows.
I don't really.

>ALL PAIZO APS ARE RAILROADS
But what about GMs making edits to-

>NO GM EVER DOES ANYTHING UNEXPECTED
Yes they do, my GM was-

>WHEN THEY DO IT'S ALWAYS BAD
But-

>REEEEEEEEE
Okay then.

Hippity Hoppity, you can't change intellectual property.

Not him but my mind went straight to memedog.

Whats memedog's gimmick?

The player being a retarded puppy?

Is there a way to have both an animal companion from a class and a mount from cavalier? Or are they mutually exclusive features?

You can edit an AP all you want, but it's not turning into a sandbox for the players to pursue their own personal motivations unless you throw out the AP.

From the picture, it looks like the gnolls are telling the crusader "You shouldn't have fucking came to gnoll Jerusalem, motherfucker!" So I guess... eastern?

Sandboxes are a lie anyways, nobody really wants that

People want to be on the roller-coaster of a campaign, but they don't want to FEEL like they're on a roller coaster.

I don't know anything about the player but I've always been under the impression that the character was basically a barking purse dog.

kek

Yes. Unless you're trying to use an ability dependent on being in your original form, you're fine.

futafags

>puppy
The player's oblivious to some stuff but is a blatant attention whore who wants the focus to always be on memedog whenever Dragons 2 stuff comes up, filtering it through as "memedog best bully" to "memedog harem protag" to "memedog only sensible one." Whichever one makes him stand out and get talked about on the thread, for good or ill. That's the "embracing it" of memedog.

Hmmm the idea of a Air elemental bushi warlord using elemental flux, and scarlet throne with a glaive or bardiche is kinda odd though.

Maybe thats so

What are the active /pfg/ recruiting games?

Feminine penises are hot

Its all here pham

What class and stats would have Cao Cao or a character inspired on him?

Legacy of Blood and Flame still has a couple days to its app deadline.
Blingmaker is currently recruiting.

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/67321/legacy-of-blood-and-flame
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/70552/shardwalkers
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/72295/wild-weird-west
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/73064/blingmaker
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/73477/blood-in-the-fangwood

What, don't you want to be pegged by a strong female? Pffbt, you homo.

/trash/ is for Off Topic.

Cao Cao was known to be a skilled but not exceptional swordsman but an amazing politician. Someone like him doesn't work well - Cao Cao is one of those people who excel because he understands how to surround himself with level 20s and PB 30 characters, not because he himself is all that powerful.

When is /pfg/ ever on topic?

So like a Cavalier/Aristocrat or something who knows how to coordinate a bunch of PoW characters?

Hey, can someone look over my Mari app for Shardwalkers

I'm feeling like the app suffers from a lack of focus and I need someone else's eyes on it.

Kind of? I mean his main skill would've been like 60 ranks in Diplomacy, Sense Motive, and Bluff.

I mean all of the rules to do that kind of stuff is in the game already but there are so many extraneous rules you would have to whip out and brush up on that it would be a nightmare if your a strict RAW'goer.

paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/ultimateCombatVehicles.html#air-vehicles

I would probably play it fast and loose, I did a water based pirate adventure which would be similar by the books and it was a lot, probably wouldn't do again using Ultimate Combat rules.

like Steve jobs

So he has an excellent leadership score.

Nani?

I mean sort of but not even
Thing is, in RPGs Leadership often means you literally buff the people you lead. Cao Cao was a good strategist, one of the best, but he pales in comparison to people like Jia Xu, Guo Jia, or Sima Yi. In fact, Cao Cao relied on these people heavily because he KNEW his Leadership score wasn't as high.
Cao Cao was just good at finding the right people for the right jobs, and enticing them to be on his side instead of someone else's.

No Steve, was a good merchant and sensible businessman. What I'm talking about is like a mix of being Bismarck and being Augustus. Augustus himself was only okay in a lot of things, but he knew who to hire to get things done.

Nononono

Thats the epitome of a high leadership score, its having the best people, and more than anyone else. He's not a great strategist, but his people are better that the other guys

Uh, user, I didn't start those discussions. The one where Rory was claimed to be a Chad Thundercock kind of character? Honest to God, that wasn't me. I also just only mentioned that he had the highest wisdom score after learning that Rinka had the highest intelligence score and Calsica had the highest Charisma score, which I found somewhat amusing. my internet has been out for a while and I usually only saw them happen after the fact. Scout's honor

So the new Disciple of the Pike archetype for cavaliers. Would it be too strong to make their cavalier levels count as fighter levels for the purpose of taking feats?

suuuuuure.

What's the best class to play in Blingmaker if I want to send it all to support my wife's son?

Well, that does give you access to AWT. It's a significant versatility increase, but for a Tier 5 it's a godsend.

don't start duder.

Not really. They don't get nearly as many feats as a fighter, they don't really have room to exploit it, and it's not like you're making them initiators.

100% honest user. You ask the other players in dragons 2 and they'll say I wasn't online or making any posts between 7:00am to about 5:00pm EST, which is when I'm busy. I COULDNT have made those posts

What? How else is my wife and her child supposed to be supported?

I want reviewanon to review all of them

I mean i wouldn't mind seeing more character's reviewed, i just thought i'd send out a cry for help cause I'm feeling.. Bleh about her.

precocious loli kitsune fennec pole dancer