Guidance requested

Guidance requested
>would like to play dungeons and dragons
>have 5 people very interested
>not retarded but am inexperienced
What books should I purchase and any other recommendations for starting?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/mcolville/featured
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Probably the complete Encyclopaedia Britannica.

That's like $500 and may be useful to DnD but not where I'm trying to start
>maybe in future tho

Make no purchases. Get thee to a the D&D 5e thread and download pdfs of the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual, and the Lost Mines of Phandelver adventure. Decide who is going to be the Dungeon Master and he gets all the pdfs. Everyone else just needs the Player's Handbook pdf. Have everyone get a set of Dice and go to town.

An addendum to this. If you guys like the shit, then buy it. Buying $200 worth of dead tree and not liking it will suck.

Jeez can it really cost around $200 total? I was expecting around $100 at max

Frankly I'm not convinced that the players should read the books. They tell what their characters want to do, and the GM tells them what to roll. The less they know about game mechanics the better.

Core (Players, Dungeon Masters, and Monster Manual) lists at $50 a pop, though I bet you could find used cheaper. Tack on an adventure, dice and shipping, and there's $200.

So it's better to not have any books? I mean what about stats or classes or races. I'm not trying to make my own game here

You are retarded. An essential part of playing a game is knowing the rules of said game.

It's easy to get the pdfs if you're strapped for cash. I've been there.

But yeah, $50 for the Player's Handbook (this is full of stuff the players need and a lot of stuff the DM needs), $50 for the Dungeon Master's Guide (this is full of tips on how to run a game), and $50 for the Monster Manual (this is full of Enemy and NPCs the DM will set up for encounters). The players only need the PHB, and that can be passed around. The DM really wants the DMG and MM, and pretty much needs it if he's new. Adventure supplements also cost you some Hamiltons.

The only good thing about this is that unlike a card game or a (typical) miniature wargame, there's no big incentive for you to buy extra shit constantly (the game isn't competitive and the core material is somewhat dynamic on its own), and only the DM will really feel the need to spend hard.

But yeah just pirate the shit if you can't afford it bruh

Thank you for the tips, is there any place online good for buying? Or is it better to buy in store

Not really. I've taught players basically in semi "trial by fire." I mean, I'm trying to teach them the rules as they go along, but they tend to pick it up faster that way.
>Hey man what's something you'd like to play?
>Maybe like a rich playboy or something. Or maybe a wizard?
>Try a bard.
>What about you?
>Iunno dude like a fuckin sick-ass robot. Or a terminator haha!
>Let me tell you about warforged!

Obviously this is only doable if you know the system so it doesn't really apply to OP.

>dice
Meh you can just use an app on your phone if you got no money.

>I've taught players basically in semi "trial by fire."

I see you've never had players who couldn't memorize basic shit after two months of play even asking which dice they should role.

basically this. if you're playing at the table all you need are dice. getting into D&D specifically has never been easier.

Yes, but the only person who should know the game's rules is the GM. His role is to interpret the player input into game mechanics and tell them what to roll. Remember that this is a rpg not a boardgame.

I just checked Google Shop and found listings of around 30 bucks for the PHB alone. Just do some shopping.

>would like to play dungeons and dragons
That statement is questionable.
Do you want to play D&D or do you want to play an RPG?

Play anything else, trust me.

I know that isn't advice, but there's games with far less mechanical issues or unnecessary complexities.

Control freak

I assume you're talking about the 5E?

They'll be less likely to do that if you sternly tell them to stop asking early on. I think a lot of players are just doing it out of some submissive desire for confirmation or acknowledgement from senpai DM.

But I still know that feel.

The GM is the game's user interface. You don't need to know how Windows is programmed in order to use it, do you now?

why the fuck

I remember the 3.0 books being 30 each.

Yeah I was just checking amazon n found some for around 30, but looks like there's different books for each of the categories, any recommendations for categories? They all have some good reviews.
Both, my friends and I all enjoy RPGs but want to experience a fun story and gameplay together.

But you do in RPGs because players can pull shit on you, though. You are UI, database and ruleset in one.

This is fine for like the first game if you want to get them into it and think they'll balk at the complexity, but you can't keep them like that forever, dude.

>you don't need to know
Isn't the same as
>I won't let you read if you want to

Arguing that players shouldn't get the books, that only the GM should know the rules, it's controlling behaviour, like you'd see in a child who is afraid of losing his friends if they don't need him

>what is inflation

No shit.

Oh, I'm sorry. "RPG" in the context of this board refers to a Pen & Paper/Tabletop RPG.

And if you want to experience a fun story and gameplay together, D&D 5e and 3.5 are definitely wrong for you.

Hope you've given a bash through Colville's stuff if you're brand new

youtube.com/user/mcolville/featured

He prefers a particular, old school style and teaches that, but it's easy to work up to a more narrative or RP heavy style from there

Not to mention at some point you don't want to lose and hour getting characters created at the table. Players create their characters home, you check their concept and characters sheet for shenanigans, and you're all good to go.

Inflation aside, the d20 licensing and 3.0 was designed to be a fucking money train.

>And if you want to experience a fun story and gameplay together, D&D 5e and 3.5 are definitely wrong for you.

Not really because it comes down to what you make it. And newcomers to the hobby can do well under a properly minded GM who will try to balance it up so it's not just "let's go through dungeons because we need better loot".

Ohhh my mistake, I'm obviously new to this whole thing. I appreciate every opinion though,
What would you recommend for new starters that want to adventure and are interested in DnD

Well, why would you make a new player read hundred pages of rules they never ever need to reference during actual play? Rules are the engine, GM is the UI, player's role is to play.

Who said anything about making them read?

>Not to mention at some point you don't want to lose and hour getting characters created at the table.
Actually I do want that if they're new. One on one is best but if not then I'll do it with everyone there.

I think his point was you'll teach your players the wrong way of doing things by keeping them in the dark. They need to know the mechanics at some point, what you don't want them reading is stuff like adventure modules because it'll spoil shit for them. They SHOULD read something like Player's Handbook to get the general gist of things because you don't want player thinking this is Conan the Barbarian while other guy thinks it's Alice in Wonderland.

Subscribed, will refer to him once I've received other materials

Agreed, they don't need access to the books.

Adjusting for inflation, the 5e books should only be around $40.

They can pick up the rules as they go, so they don't need to know anything about them to start the game.

I get that, and I'll teach my players the rules as they go and happily lend my books to people to read, but a lot of games only need so much rule knowledge to work for players. It's not always essential in a GM-based RPG. D&D I'd rather them know well, but other games will work fine if players just dictate what they want to do and the GM tells them what dice to roll.

That's not what I said, you're either an idiot or an arsehole to come up with that conclusion

If you want to have your own battle map and miniatures you can do so without having to spend more than 10 bucks.

Buy a large piece of white cardboard paper ($5). Then buy a ruler which is at more than 30 centimeters long ($3). While you are at get some clear thick sticky tape ($2) and a pen (steal one from a bank). After you finishing drawing out a 1-inch grid, cover the cardboard with a single layer of sticky tape and your battle mat should be ready to go!

If you don't want to dish out a fortune on miniatures you can purchase some counters ($3) and cover one side with masking tape then draw numbers and symbols on them.

Then when you get enough money you should buy a copy of Rolemaster. Seriously D&D gets boring real fast.

What's rolemaster?

Overcomplicated table-obsessed garbage.

Too complicated for a group of nervous beginners.

I know that guy.

Well im gonna ignore that then.

him cool?

You'll receive many different opinions on system; much like books, movies, TV, or videogames, everyone has their favourites. Personally, if you're brand new to the entire thing I would at least get a PDF of the Dungeon Master's guide for D&D 5th edition (pictured). Even if you don't use the rules inside, it provides one of the better beginner introductions to what D&D.

Regardless of whichever ruleset you end up using, you'll still need to cover the essentials:

-where will you hold the game? At someone's house? A gamestore? Online via an application like Roll20? Try to figure out a venue everyone is on board with and can reach.

-How long and how frequently are you guys going to give this a try? Are you going to do a weekly game? Try to set up a solid schedule and also some sort of cutoff point where you can stop and evaluate the last few sessions and be honest about whether things are actually fun or not. Being consistent and organized with your scheduling helps everyone.

-Many games require a "referee" (sometimes called a Game Master or Dungeon Master), who usually has the responsibility of playing monsters and NPCs, as well as making rulings on what makes sense about the background world. Some games dispense with this role, but usually someone will need to take this position.

-Since a roleplaying game is in essence, a collective game of pretend, one thing I find that's pretty important is getting a sense of what people want out of the game - some may want a serious game while others prefer a humorous tone. Hashing this out beforehand helps a lot.

>Owned the biggest LARP in our state when pic was taken
>Always staff at all the big cons around here
>Runs the best one shot RPGs I've had the pleasure of playing
>Started his own company for all the board/card games he's created

I honestly don't even know what he does for a living to support all his hobbies, but yeah; he's like Veeky Forums's spirit animal.

not bad

>And newcomers to the hobby can do well under a properly minded GM who will try to balance it up so it's not just "let's go through dungeons because we need better loot".
So a GM who has realized that the system actively works against him and has started actively working against the system?
I'm afraid OP does not have access to such an individual.

Ryuutama. It is basically a tutorial to fantasy RPGs.

I got that user was trying to say the players should have access to the books but shouldn't be forced to read them if they don't want to. Does this sound good to both of you?

If you get everything on Amazon, you're looking at around $90 for the books ($120 including the starter box, which has an adventure and a set of dice).

Grab a Fiasco pdf, maybe print it, meet up and see if you like it

Sadly I'm on a mobile device, so I can't provide the pdf right here

Op here
Thank you everyone who gave really good advice. I have documented all the instruction and advice and really appreciate the references as well. I'll be sure to run a thread describing my experience.
Until then hope you all have a good one!

Players need to understand the rules that govern them. Having a magic user ask, "What does Magic Missile do again?" for the umteenth time will result in murder charges.

It's also a clear indication of a Player's dedication to the system. Anyone who can't be arsed to read the Players' Handbook doesn't belong at the table.

>can't be arsed
so you bump a dead thread just to britpost? go back to sniffing mini paint please.

So salty.

>Anyone who can't be arsed to read the Players' Handbook doesn't belong at the table.

Pretty much. People tend to think roleplaying games are just narrative exercise where there,. in fact, rules. If only to everyone on the same page.