sgiz.mobi/s3/9d26907ef733

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/
Thread Topic: Planning! What do you do to plan your games, DM's of 5eg? Do you have a specific day you get it all done? Do you make your own grids and maps? Plan the story for the next session?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12622026
strawpoll.me/12622028
strawpoll.me/12622029
pastebin.com/6w9warHg
pastebin.com/Ab6W6hZV
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Assuming at least one level of fighter in a campaign that will have a powerful magic greatsword nobody else wants, are there any particular ways to make a heavy greatsword wielding, heavy armor using character who fights and casts spells?

I should say, particularly good ways. For example, just EK 20 is probably plenty good, but does anything in particular stand out?

Fighter 1 / Warlock X
Fighter 1 / Sorcerer X
Fighter 2 / Wizard X
Eldritch Knight

I'll get the thread started with an answer to my own question. I usually get my planning done Saturday or Sunday, and we play Monday nights. I'll put on critical role while I do my map making and go to town. I actually make maps of important areas (I'm running SKT currently, since it's my first time DMing. Here's a pic of the temple center of the Eye of the All Father I made. Please excuse my poor artistic abilities, I got a D in drawing in 2nd grade

And yes I know that the storm giant is off by one grid, but I had already outlined it in sharpie so whoops

>Planning! What do you do to plan your games, DM's of 5eg?
Mostly just get a list of proper nouns (NPC names, town names, etc) ready because I'm no good at making them up on the fly. The rest I mostly wing it. Pre-campaign I establish the main threat's goals and methods, that's about it.

>Do you have a specific day you get it all done?
Nah, doing it whenever I have free time.

>Do you make your own grids and maps?
I don't account for exact distances enough to make grids, usually treating combat as having range bands and levels of cover in a more abstract/narrative way. Maps exist but those are for my benefit.

Most of my dungeons and the like are designed with videogame level design in mind. A dungeon's layout of encounters/rooms/treasures are designed to create just enough immersion to suspend disbelief (ie: most buildings are largely but not exactly symmetrical, avoiding the traditional "pointless squares with labyrinths between them" dungeons, etc) while mainly being designed around a fun encounter in each major section of it. 90% of my encounters use the layout of the room itself (columns, balconies/alcoves, chandeliers, etc) and the contents of the room (rows of pews, traps, etc) as a way to make an encounter with otherwise dull minions interesting or to spice up a miniboss to make it more than just "this enemy has more HP and a higher AC than the others".

>Plan the story for the next session?
Only a little. Most of it is dungeon planning.

What do you want out of being a fightan mage? Buff & Sword? Use magical sword attacks? Some specific mechanic you want to play with?
Also, have you already decided your stats?
All classes can be played as 'fights and casts spells', at some level.

strawpoll.me/12622026
strawpoll.me/12622028
strawpoll.me/12622029

Polls for each of the archetypes in the latest UA.

Basically, enough fightan to make using a greatsword relevant, as opposed to how a 1-3 fighter/4+ wizard is probably going to be best served by being Captain America (that is, either using the shield for defense, or protector style).

I don't have a particular day for planning, it's just whenever i have enough time to plan and make something. I do try to get enough content ready for about 2-3 sessions ahead so i don't have to stress if i can't make something a particular week. For example, right now i probably have enough content to run the next 4-5 sessions.

What are the ways that a PC can gain access to burrow speed? There's giant badger summons and transformations and earth elemental summons/ploymorphs. Anything else?

We meet once a week. I just set up a notepad file and type in ideas for next session as I come up with them throughout the week. I'll prepare a 1 page sheet of monster stat blocks that I expect to use, and maybe list a few other creatures and their pg# in the text file as well.
We don't really play with maps very often so I just come up with those on the fly if need be.
It usually ends up looking something like this, if anyone's curious:
pastebin.com/6w9warHg

You could refluff an Awakened Purple Worm as a Yuan Ti.

Then one level of fighter for CON saves and proficiencies, and the rest in Fiend Bladelock. You get your two attacks at level 6 with an invocation, naturally also your bonus from GWM when applicable, and your spell slots are used on Sleep (early on), Hex, Darkness, Armor of Agathys, and other situational no-save stuff, with your capstone being Foresight as a Mystic Arcanum at level 18.

Alternatively be a Stone Sorcerer and the level in fighter (and consequent delay in your progression) is there just so you can wear plate.

War Cleric
Valor Bard with heavy armor feat.

He wants one level in fighter.

I would like a return to Once Per Encounter powers.

How do you feel about powers and abilities that recharge after a 10 minute breather? How do you feel about making a short rest take 10 minutes, but leaving a long rest at 8 hours?

What do you usually hire a hireling for and how much is too much?

It's viable for a more superheroic campaign. Check out the DMG, they give guidelines for altering rest times.

I personally don't find short cooldowns to be "epic heroism" and long cooldowns to be "gritty realism."

Incidentally, I find it fascinating that in ebin heroilism, even though there's 1hr long rests, you still only get one a day. So there's some pretty interesting tricks you may be able to do with that.

I'm not going for heroicism here. Just for a more fun experience. I find combat too samey right now, and part of it is that my players are tight wads with their abilities.

I'm not looking to change the 8 hour long rest though. I think that's in an okay place.

I wouldn't call this a "superheroic" type of campaign either, nor would this modification be aimed at doing that. If anything, the current meta is "sub-human", but that's not why I'm doing this. I'm just trying to make things more fun.

I'd probably say no to 10 minute rests. We use it and the majority of combats are now the warlock and fighter spending all their shit, then wanting to take a rest because 'It's only 10 minutes guys'

Is there anything particularly ridiculous you can do with the Psionic Mastery feature?

I know. Personally, I don't find anything odd about going into each fight with short rests ready. There's a guy on here who gets upset about "not hewing to the balance assumptions 5e is set up with" or whatever (despite that nobody abides by the balance assumptions of 3e, 4e, or even OD&D/AD&D FFS).

What I grew up with is the idea that fighters (and, I guess, monks and shit?) should go into every battle at full strength aside from maybe hit points, and casters conserve their stuff every day. I don't have any love for this weird 1 hour anomaly.

I mean, the standard looting process would usually take 10 minutes no?

Is it me or does out of the abyss seem too easy? It seems like there is no difficulty in the combat, because the majority of the time, you are having one battle, then travelling for a certain amount of days before something else crops up, giving everyone access to all of their resources

I don't know about the fighter, but you have to get a FUCK LOAD of short rests for the warlock to surpass the wizard.

Sounds like fun.

Not every combat requires looting after, but thats generally how it goes
>I'm going to search this room
>ok, I'll rest while they do that
>Wizard says he will cast a ritual
>ok, that takes 10 minutes right? I'll take a short rest

Neat

Yeah, so it doesn't seem like it would interfere with gameplay much. Functionally, 10 minute short rests would just be "you can use these powers once per encounter, and they recharge almost immediately after". It still allows the DM the ability to rush the players.

Do you guys ever play characters with a 14/15 in their main stat? Or do you always pick a class that gets bonuses the class needs?

Always begin with 16 in your main stat.

If you're using standard array there's literally no reason not to have 16+ in your main stat at level 1.

How do you guys feel about adding a +1-3 to things like magic weapons and armor? Giving a +1 Sentinel Shield or a +2 Flame Tongue for example. I like talking/debating lore and mechanics with my players and this was brought up.

For example, for an Ancient Red dragon a regular Flame Tongue is nice but adding something really rare and powerful like a +3 Flame Tongue to their horde sets them apart. Or a lich has a +1 Staff of Power as he knew the creator of the original or was perhaps the maker. Situations like that to add flavor.

I had wanted to make a half-orc monk, so I ended up starting with a 15 Dex. It really killed both my AC and my ability to hit. I'm not sure if other classes have it as bad, but just be sure you recognize that you're taking a gamble in the early game.

Sure. Also remember you can do half bonuses. Like a +3 to attack master crafted sword that is explicitly not magical, just made by someone amazing. Or a +3 damage sword that has some special enchantments on it, but doesn't help you hit things. Etc, Etc.

>I had wanted
thats worth more then 16 in mainstat.

I think I've finally got this in a place that I really like it, so I'll be moving onto the barbarian now (I'll include that in the same pdf). I will always be open to suggestions and criticisms though on the fighter, so thoughts?

Doh.

Also, I'm going to tweak a lot of general rules too, so I've added that section, but don't have many of the tweaks yet.

It's fine to do with most classes, but you'll be playing the game very differently from the other people who are playing that class. So if you have a Cleric with less than 16 Wis and less than 16 Con, going online and asking "how do I play this build well?" will just lead to hundreds of fags screaming at you instead of attempting to shift their preconceived notion of how it plays (which is based on the way the designers set it up so this isn't just "hurr grog" bashing). So, you can do it and survive perfectly fine, but it's up to you to figure out how to get the most utility of a class built atypically.

So any point of the Moon Druid with the "has seen" rule? Because basically your SOL on stronger wild shapes because of course the DM is not gonna let you have those and if you cant have them your basically useless

how are you going to turn into something if you dont know what it is?

>dm vs player mentality
Get a new DM.

I allow the druid to assume he's seen anything that would be appropriate for his background.

Its the issue is the DM can decide what you have seen. So its possible you have only seen plain jane animals your whole life and not much suited for combat ourside of a Bear which makes moon druid pointless

go and look for animals then

How about you... discuss it with your DM first?

>he acts like this would stop him from playing meme druid v0.5

Cool let me just abandon the party to go sight seeing.

I did. And anything midly exotic I suggested he shut down. Even something as simple as a Giant Spider.

get a new DM, or DM yourself.

>I did. And anything midly exotic I suggested he shut down. Even something as simple as a Giant Spider.

Then play a Land Druid intead.

Your DM is telling you to fuck right off with Moon Druid. You dense?

Is there a decent way to make a kid PC? I feel like it'd be fun to play as an endearing boy scout, but the line between endearing and 'real fucking weird' is definitely there. Definitely looking for ideas.

The issue is he has never told me a such when I actually picked Moon Druid. He gave no concern or pause when I told him "yo man can i play a Moon Druid?"

he made it pretty clear it wasn't all that enjoyable, so... no

What kind of kid? If it's like 12-14 you're just a normal PC.

If you're like 8-11 you can be essentially a large lightfoot halfling. You can even eventually age out of it to trade halfling features for human/variant ones.

Younger than that and you're not fit for adventuring.

should've read the book

And I assumed when playinng a fucking outlander druid I would pretty fucking knowledgeable about Nature which I think is more than a reasonable assumption.

But you are a kid. A grown creature who refuse to grow up because it a lie constructed by society.

>DM clearly has an issue with his class features
>DM doesn't say this when he chooses his class
>somehow this is user's fault

you know what they say about assumptions

Normally I don't endorse reskinning races, but lightfoot halfling. If anyone debates that a child could not fight effectively, point out that lightfoot halflings would be beaten up by your average six your old.

No fuckin clue why they're so tiny. 3'/30 pounds, for fucks sake.

it's in the book lol

Hey, Im a new dungeon master, and I have this friend who's really interested in playing Dungeons and Dragons. However he doesn't have a lot of friends who play dnd as well. What can I do to help him get into dnd?

What, that his DM is an idiot who can't say "no I don't want you to play a Moon Druid"?

Run a game and invite him???

that moon druids can only turn into animals they've seen lol

Did you enjoy the character or were the mechanical weaknesses to much?

Thanks. It would definitely make more sense to fit them into a halfling-type of lifestyle over something too melee combat-focused.

I enjoyed the character, but the combat was rough. I did not think the mechanical weakness was too much though, as it was still low level and was rough for everyone, even with their 16's. By level 8, it won't be an issue at all any more.

You can't shift into something you haven't seen.

My players harvested some poison from a purple worm.
How much is "a single dose"? Can you only apply it to a single arrow/blade/other weapon?
Does it last only until a successful hit or multiple hits?

Paladin.

Generally that means single application, single hit

Ok then what the fuck determines what you have seen then?

Single dose just means it's indivisible and can only be used once. ns if they can stack though.

So it's better to have a melee character use the poison then, as a ranger can still miss and the poisoned arrow won't magically return to his hand so he can try again.
Unless the ranger WANTS to spend his turns running after his arrow.

Literally just how good you are at convincing your DM that your character has seen it, or something you've encountered. That's how moon druid is supposed to be balanced, as you play and explore, you see more cool shit that you can take note of and try to shift into.

Reminds me of Bx and having to track time in a dungeon with turns. I miss it. Simplifies things.

What a meaningless statement.

Your backstory, background, encounters, deliberately looking for animals to gain their shape, etc.

Yeah definitely. If I was DM I'd make it situational whether or not the poison loses effect after a ranged shot miss. If it lands on a cobblestone path then it's fine but if it thwumps in the dirt I might roll a d4 to see if it still has enough poison (and hide that from the player cause I suck fat cocks).

Gotta hammer it home for some people.

It's kind of needed, people are fucking stupid sometimes.

>Muh god
>Muh negative energy
>Muh feelings

>Level 2-5
You should have at least one CR 1 animal you have seen in your lifetime or your DM just hates you
>Level 6-8
Use conjure animals to see CR 2 animals
>Level 9+
Use polymorph to see anything else

it's the exact same thing as wizards copying spells from books and scrolls except it doesn't cost you anything
count yourself lucky

According to the devs, ultimately how much you let them harvest is up to the DM. There's no rule against them harvesting multiple times. Personally, I'd let them try again til they fail.

>Lore Bards can use Cutting Words as a reaction when something happens
>Cutting words can be used to lower AoE spell damage

>Valor Bards need to preemptively use bardic inspiration on someone with a bonus action to use combat inspiration, and they person needs to use a reaction to use it to get more AC
>Bardic inspiration can't be used to increase spell damage

Why do WotC hate valor bards?

What sort of learning curve is there to DMing 5th edition? Some friends of mine are used to playing pathfinder, myself included, but now I want to DM 5e for them but I've never DM'd before.

Aside from going through the module and making notes, understanding characters and the basic rules, what other prep should I do?

Go read the 5e DMG. It tells you everything you need or don't.

I want to make a bard. Any advice? How do bards get all the pussy

The usual prep for rp, have a plot, some places, and well characterized NPCs.
For combat prep, you'll need a lot of fun little encounters, try having a whole day (6-8 encounters, with 2 short rests and enough pressure so the players won't rest more) planned beforehand. If you can, include some enviromental triggers, like traps, springing traps on enemies is always fun.

Dumb jackposter.

How much money is enough to reward players with in their early levels?

Read the DMG, then add 2 levels to your party's levels and consult the charts.

Someone ran the math already for the wealth per level.
Shamelessly stealing and copy-pasting here:

Level| Typical hoard treasure acquired (gp)
1|0
2|140
3|280
4|420
5|560
6|4500
7|8400
8|12,300
9|16,200
10|20,100
11|24,100
12|42,400
13|60,700
14|79,000
15|97,300
16|116,000
17|134,000
18|362,000
19|590,000
20|818,000

That's on top of the magic items: 1 consummable per level, permanents at 4 and 7 (uncommon), 10 and 13 (rare), 16 (very rare) and 19 (legendary) IIRC.

So a friend is apparently putting together a 5e book of erotic fantasy, and has asked me to help because I'm a fucking deviant. I made a succubus themed warlock patron. Anyone care to look at my rough draft and see if it's over/underpowered?

pastebin.com/Ab6W6hZV

You have to go back.

I think dnd threads get deleted on /d/, else I would try there too.