MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Ubiquity of Signets Edition

Previous Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
Say there were signets for each three color combination. They cost three to cast and two to tap and get your three colors. Would you play them?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtg.gamepedia.com/Special_action
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/01-04-17-thromok/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

post em

I'm not sure, sigs being 2 mana is a big deal. Droping a 4cmc on 3 is what makes them so powerful.

I want to get off mr bones wild ride

thoughts on Runehorn Hellkite in a Scion deck? i've been in a lot of situations where i want to wheel, but i'm not able to connect with scion to get it off Dragon Mage.

I think it has its place. You can practically tutor for it at any time once you have Scion out, so you can fetch it on a whim, but people will see it coming, so be wary of instant-speed grave hate they may or may not have.

i've been testing it out in my scion deck. the build i'm running isn't tribal dragons, so if drawn it's actually just a dead card.

I swing for 295,397,106 trampling damage.

Response?

Didn't think so

good thing i'm running the worst color

But user, I've had a torpor orb out since turn 3!

I spend BW for this. GG.

Signets already have the drawback of having to use a minimum of two mana to colorfix, e.g. having Swamp, Swamp, Dimir Signet and wanting to cast Brainstorm is clunky. Expanding that to a minimum of 3 mana would cause issues a lot more often.

Make it either cost 2cmc and 2 to tap for 3 mana to ramp as much as a signet with better colorfix but worse for cheap spells, or 4cmc and 1 to tap for 3 mana to compete with Thran Dynamo, Hedron Archive etc.

>Implying that card isn't universally banned in every playgroup because people expire before they can finish reading it.

yeah man, reading is for dorks. the only cards that should be legal are vanilla creatures.

>Life and Limb + Mycoloth + Ravenous Baloths
>mfw

Don't ever let anyone tell you your dreams can't come true even if they're only for a turn or two

Hopefully by the end of next week I will have most of Meloku and Sisters built or at least in the mail.

how can you swing for so much damage, you only have 1 other creature on the battlefield?

JUUUDGE!

>B-but i respond with...
>split second
>scoops

Peasants.

RAMPAGING baloths my bad. Ravenous Baloth is much less impressive in that scenario.

legal in the format

What are some good cards for a Tajic deck?

The big one is Odric Lunarch Marshal that way when you enter combat all of your creatures are indestructible.

I recommend boardwipes of all kinds, Wrath of God and Jokulhaups are some examples.

Worldslayer, Sunforger and whatever swords tickle your fancy for the voltron route.

Assemble the Legion
Anthems
Cathar's Crusade
Auras and Equipment?
More token producers

Has anyone ever had success with Nemata, Grove Guardian? Instant speed blockers and a good mana sink for all that green mana, and it's not like buffing up hordes of tokens isn't a completely viable strategy.

I was just looking at her and realized with Illusionists Bracers she reads "2G: All saprolings get +4/+4". That kind of damage can end games if not dealt with right away.

What's a good deck to play pic related in?

I use it in Marchesa. I've managed to win three pods by default.

Hope of Ghirapur.

Or Karn because you can animate your shit but that's boring.

I have Nemata in the 98 under Tana/Bruse for massive damage, but the game is usually over before that.

Don't see the Hope of Ghirapur synergy desu. I was thinking something that can blink your opponents' creatures repeatedly? Any ideas?

Roon of the Hidden Realm, it is slow, but steady.

Just a really early lock, and with Deathmantle out you can lock one player out of removing Portcullis.

*blocks your split second*

>*blocks your split second*
Megamorph is an activated ability, and therefore cannot be added to the stack either (see split second's reminder text)

Turning a face-down creature with megamorph face up and putting a +1/+1 counter on it is a special action. It doesn’t use the stack and can’t be responded to.

That's where you're wrong, kiddo. Morph doesn't use the stack.

Ok I'm getting kinda lost now. Where can I find "special actions" defined, and exemples of that? Nothing seems to work the way it used to...

>mfw no mana burn anymore

mtg.gamepedia.com/Special_action
Sorry to burst your bubble, hope this clears things up.

Morph and manifested cards don't use the stack when turned upright

>Life and Limb
That's some really fucking spicy tech for Ghave, thanks for sharing user!

you've been wrong about morph since the mechanic was first introduced, don't give me that "muh rules change" stuff

Try sporemound with it

>old fogeys not realizing they just don't know the game as well as they think they do.

Don't do this. You draw the game unless you can stop the loop.
Don't be that guy who ends games in a draw

That would combo off with Life and Limb exclusively though and if i don't have it on the field it's almost completely useless.

isnt there a card where if your life total is one you win

Morph been around for over a decade and it never used the stack. Some people just suck at magic.

What deck would this be the commander for, if you simply had to create one?

True that. Explaining the Fiend Hunter+Sac outlet interaction almost always gets someone to call me a cheater.

People are dumb

Colorless Sword of X and Y voltron

Did I mention I have palace guard with baton of morale on the field? Good try though.

I block with some junk. Have fun with your 147,698,549 saprolings and one craterhoof while I combo off.

Batonmind

Explain?

Learn banding.

Trying to build a zombie deck, but there's literally 0 good reanimate commanders

what commander do i even chose?

Grimgrin. You're playing zombies, not reanimator. Zombies reanimate themselves.

Who is Chainer?

Hell no. I'm already bad at planning how to spend my mana in multicolored decks and often enough end up with a signet and no other mana to activate it. This new signet in a 4 color deck and I would get a stroke.

Banding allows you to re-direct ALL damage to one creature, which effectively cockblocks trample. You can even bypass ____walk with it, if they band something with ____walk for some reason. That's why banding will never come back, it's a design sore.

I'd run any standard 3 mana tap-for-any over Trisignets as described.

I looked up banding a couple of times already and always forgot the exact rules for it after a while. It really is a terrible feature.

Ah, ok, I thought trample said that excess damage is dealt to the controller, but it actually says that you may deal excess damage to the controller. Thanks for the info.

When you control a creature with banding, you may freely distribute all damage dealt by any creature it blocks. This can allow you to
>Spread damage across a gang block so nothing of yours dies
>Pile all damage from the blocked creature onto one victim, letting Freddy McExpendable of the Red Shirt take one (or one hundred) for the team
>Screw over trample, Thorn Elemental, and so on by applying all the damage to one or more blockers.

Again, as long as at least one creature with banding is blocking said attacker.

If something blocks an attacking band, you get to do the same with damage incoming against the band, but that's the slightly less useful side of things. I use Baton to good offensive effect in Sultai Sidisi though to let her zombies run interference for her to mill me more. Any other commander with an attack trigger, like Radha, could also benefit by bringing a bodyguard along for the ride.

naw, it's a perfectly reasonable ability. I wish White would get its old evergreen back.

Making my first foray into EDH, gonnna build nath of the gilt leaf, How many non basics would you reccomend including?

Depends on the budget. Out of 35 land I often run 20 nonbasics between duals and utility in tricolor decks, more like 15 in a two color deck like Nath

I'd consider a good first timer (so, budget) base to be Llanowar Wastes, Woodland Cemetery, Overgrown Tomb, Command Tower, a few other miscellaneous rainbow lands (City of Brass, Mana Confluence, etc.), some utility lands (Geier Reach Sanitarium for Nath? Arcane Lighthouse and Reliquary Tower are basically always welcome.) and... yeah, probably around 20 basics

:^)

>Selfless Squire
>STP

10-12 usually. Both for fixing and for utility. 2 colors is pretty simple.

Gisa&Geralf

voltron

how long until specfags realize the amonkek lands are bad and prices come back down?

>there's never a rules thread when I need one

If you're running miracles and have instant speed draw, could you pop a thunderous wrath or terminus for it's miracle cost on your opponent's turn?

Yes.
Miracle is a replacement affect so it overrides the casting speed restriction.

hot shit
instant speed miracles

Not until they rotate. While they're mediocre in eternal, they're the best we've got other than fast lands in standard.

Could someone help me make cuts with this Thromok deck? I think I've cut most of the sub-optimal stuff, but now I just have too many cards that synergize, and need to choose the best ones, but I always suck at that.

Suggestions for useful cards are also appreciated.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/01-04-17-thromok/

Just got off work and saw this spicy tech. Had to thank the user that has opened my eyes to a greater world of fucking over craterhoof

What is the longest commander game you have played?

Who was your commander?

How did it end? I'm just curious.

For me it was around nine hours playing Brago, it was a perfect storm, no one was getting extra card draw and multiple board wipes left it being a war of attrition.

Is this janky piece of shit worth a slot in Karlov?

About 4 hours in a 4 person match.

I had Daretti, one guy had Skullbriar, another Geist of St.Traft and I can't remember the last but it was something control.

The game just kinda ended with my planeswalker always getting killed before I could use my ultimate, Skullbriar doing nothing but being killed whenever he entered the field and the other two doing nothing.

Eventually Geist ran outta cards and Skullbriar managing to get Swiftfoot Boots equipped for a trampling beatdown.

Probably not without a large madness/reanimator package.

The league I play in uses this scoring method. Does any kind user have a suggestion for good commanders?

So I need your guys opinion. I have a jarad edh deck i'm working on and what do you think would be a better 4 drop ramp card, Frontier Siege, or Garruk Wildspeaker?

I think Isamaru into Armageddon nets you the most points (4 points assuming you win, 2 for first blood, 3 from killing everyone else, 2 for casting Isamaru 3 times, 3 for Pathing someone's commander, 2 for Wrath/Armageddon)

Could also play Tagic for Razia's Purfication and burn spells to ensure 1st blood

also that point system is fucking gay (all point systems are gay, but this one especially), rewards board wipes, not casting your commander, and removing someone's commander multiple times. Literally encouraging people to play cancer goodstuff and bully any player whose behind for extra points. the penalties for infinite combo and 15th spell in a turn don't stack so I don't even understand why they're separate things. The "lifegain is ok as long as it's less than 50 a turn" is entirely arbitrary. The penalty points are also so low they get negated by winning the round.

I'd love if you posted the restricted list.

Banlist. I have to agree with your condemnations of the point system, people quite frequently go infinite and play cards from the ban list because as you noted killing the whole table usually justifies the point loss.

>grafted exoskeleton
This list is retarded.

Miracle is a trigger, not a replacement effect, though.

>Sorin and Tree but no 'pure vanilla sphinx'
Also, that's shitty.

Should I run Aurelia or Gisela as the commander for an angel tribal indestructible combat trick deck?

You pick option C, Anya

>All those combo pieces
>and Tree of Perdition
>Tree
>of
>Perdition

>and Craterhoof

this is advanced nonfunallowed

Let me be clear people still run these I see at least one of these cards just about every week. It's a stupid list for sure, but at least you're only dinged one point.

How do I build around prophet of kruphix?

Are you the kind of man who wants to "play fair", or get a new card added to that list?

Ruric Thar "Oops All Permanents Punishment" deck. You run stuff like Eidolon of the Great Revel, Manabarbs, and Dictate of the Twin Gods, run heavy creatures but don't shy away from artifacts and enchantments totally, and wrap up with Primal Surge.

Primal Surge hits your entire deck and does not cast, meaning you will not lose points for either. Additionally, Radha-Ventmaw-Hellkite also isn't infinite, because you have to attack with Radha and she can die.

Inform your opponent that the card is banned in edh