What's your favorite campaign setting Veeky Forums?

What's your favorite campaign setting Veeky Forums?

Hardmode: Justify why

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EsBKM5puZDM
classic.mystara.net/gazetteer.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dragonlance, because I read it when I was twelve.

Mystara, because I read it when I was twelve.

Forgotten Realms, because I played it when I was twelve.

Mystara, because it's canon material hasn't been mucked up by novelist who insist on inecting their own stories into the very fabric of the setting. I suppose Spelljammer would be my second or the same reason.

Another Mystara-fag here. Also it has the best videogames and modules. Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystara are the greatest D&D vidya ever made.

The Shadow Elves are way better than the Drow ever were. No creepy BDSM shit with them, just creepy giant bat riding paranoid cave elves slowly dying off from radiation poisoning.

>and modules. Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystara are the greatest D&D vidya ever made.
>The Shadow Elves are way better than the Drow ever were. No cree
I will agree, I liked that shadow elves weren't irredeemably, just paranoid cave dwellers.

So far as we're talking about tabletop RPGs: Star Wars. Straightforward enough and everyone's inevitably got such a great read on the tone of things that you never really need to try and explain *exactly* how and why shit is happening. Players are far more likely to just roll with things and still 'get' it.

Second to that is certain cross-sections of 40k for similar reasons, at least as someone who doesn't at all play the miniatures game or read the fiction (outside of the Ciaphus Caine omnibus a friend bought me; a fun read). The setting has at least as many blindspots as I do, so it's pretty easy to work within and not feel burdened by the setting.

I'm sorry, but every setting in your picture is lame. Ravenloft less so than others

>No RuneScape
>No 40k
>No Diablo

>no Spelljammer
Of course...

He didn't say "from this list," it's just a hodge-podge of settings. You can still talk about whatever your favorite setting is.

If only DnD: Dark Sun.
If not only DnD: shit, I dunno, man.
>but why?
What's not to like about Dark Sun? Sandships, people dressed in leather and armed with sticks and stones, dead gods - it's really good.

>RuneScape

Warhammer 40k and Middle Earth.

>You will never burn eternally in the Hall of Mandos for attempting to slay the dark lord of all existence for having tricked you into slaying your own kin and dooming your bloodline to self destruction
>You will never be part of endless legions of Space Marines dedicated to maintaining order over chaos in the name of the God Emperor

Dark Sun.

I got an old box set with a starter campaign, one of the first successful campaigns i ran. Also i really like the desert theme and the brutal survival aspect, mixed with a scarcity of iron. Plus i like the idea of defiler magic, and that psionic powers feels like a natural and integrated part of the world.

Forgotten Realms, because it's still around.

Midnight.

Give 3 good reasons why it can't be.

>no Eberron
fucking DROPPED

Forgotten Realms for nostalgia
Planescape for the gonzo multiversal shenanigans
Darksun for stone and bone savagery
And pic related for 3rd party Science Fantasy

Greyhawk. It was the first setting i read about, and i think its along Mystara the setting that most exemplied the original D&D feeling.

looks neat

Lankhmar, because I just read through the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories and I'm gonna miss it.

Also because the DCC Lankhmar Box Set is due out soon and I'm really hype about it.

youtube.com/watch?v=EsBKM5puZDM

Warhammer Roleplay: Second Edition

I love the random charts and the fact that you are shit. I hate playing games where your character is supposed to he essentially a god compared to the npcs in town. WHRP let's me be a shitty fisherman that aspires to be a knight and then for from infection because I got stabbed by a bandit. I fucking love it

Planescape.

Why? Because it has enough pseudo/undergrad philosophy in it for it to be dangerous and is big enough to give the DM and players a lot of narrative freedom. Concepts get taken to their logical (and illogical) extremes by players and NPCs alike all of whom are desperate to make a square block go in a round hole. You can crash part of heaven into hell while playing a sweet guitar riff in an effort to kill every fucking devil or you can spend the entire campaign inside of a bar playing at being Wittgenstein or anything in between.

I thought about getting that but I haven't played DCC. Is it more like Basic or 1E?

>Undead roaming Cowboys
>Revolvers and bowie knives
>Horrific, unknowable fear-eating great Unknown ones
>All mythology of the Old West
>Civil War still raging with demon-controlled undead regiment doing everything to prolong it
>Rail Wars
>California is sunk in to the sea
>Card flinging hucksters
>Religious types with blessings from God/s

Why is your answer not Deadlands?

My Hin!

My favorite is Mystara as well, though I always houserule in things so the races are not classes, otherwise it's classic Known World!

Warhammer Fantasy

Dragonstar is a fun setting. Too bad that I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

I found the Starfarer's Guide and The Guide to Galaxy from a used book store some time ago. Any chance you have more DS pdfs?

>What's your favorite campaign setting Veeky Forums?
Mystara

>Hardmode: Justify why
No idea. It just seems like the setting that suits my preferences best; it has all the stuff I like, and none of the stuff I dislike. So, I guess it just works for me as is?

Everglow

My own high-fantasy with vibrant fucking colors, too many goddamned races and over-developed characters in the lore all over.

Justification: Because I am extremely picky about everything and other settings don't click with me at all

My favourite one is Tolkien's Middle Earth, or specificaly The Wilderland as presented in The One Ring RPG.
They really managed to add much new stuff needed to make this awesome, but ultimately depleted in the terms of possible stories setting without contradicting any important part of the canon - and whats much harder, it also fully keeps the feel and themes of the books.

Filling the empty lands that have been undescribed, or very loosely described by Tolkien and turning them into more living world full of different communities, unique conflicts and plothooks, and yet it all feels like it totally could be written by Tolkien himself unlike MERP and it's silly anticsinb4 BBBUT MUH MERP doesn't contradict the canon!It maybe doesn't contradict the "hard" facts of the canon, but in terms of "soft" things like themes, look and feel it lands as far as it probably could

Kalamar and Lankhmar made your list but this didn't???

Dwarf Fortress generated world with:
1-With just one starting group for each race (actually all monsters that can spread).
1.1-They (the race/monsters not need to be the starting group)survive at end of generation.

This create a world with extreme amount of detail, and etc... where you didnt needed to create it by yourself.

Obviously

My magical realm.

I actually did this for my first time DMing. I took a subsection of the world, used the legends explorer and went there in adventure mode for lore and setting, and created quests for the local lords to give out. In retrospect a bad move considering my inexperience and all the heavy lifting the DM needs to do in this situation.

My own special snowflake setting with guns, cool uniforms and magic.

Because it's amazingly fun and corny when most of the NPCs behave like selfish cunts with their own agendas, unlike the wooden puppets of most settings.

On the list, Dark Sun, I'm a Conanaboo so Dark Sun scratched that itch nicely, also encouraged my wizard-only player to try something new.

Dark Sun of course.

Elemental clerics and templar are drastically more interesting than regular clerics. Dark Sun's elemental planes are, likewise, far more interesting than Planescape's elemental planes; basically, Dark Sun used what may as well be the Shadowfell and Elemental Chaos well before 4e came up with them, and I wouldn't be surprised if they got em straight from DS.

The elementals are likewise generally more interesting than gods and fiends due to their alien perspective and amorality. The conflicts on Athas and in the elemental planes determine the success of the different elemental factions, whereas in the default cosmology, the elemental planes are infinite and basically immutable. Lacking good or evil gods, elementals step up to the plate in other ways; for example, even evil water clerics have their benevolent side, as their pact requires they share water with all, and if a cleric dies in the opposite element, they may become a krag, kind of like an elemental lich that is then enslaved by their new masters.

Templars also are very important. They are politically and magically relevant, and tie a character closely to the setting. It is generally better to work with society and a Sorcerer King than to oppose them. They are used both as standing armies of the Sorcerer Kings, as typically the main government of their city state, and of course, as morally nebulous uber-clerics that can use 'miracles' for the good of the city, or themselves.

Finally, while Dark Sun druids aren't too different from other settings, the way they get their own bonded lands (which can be of any size the DM and player agree upon -- the entire campaign can take place within one set of bonded lands), and get Dark Lord-esque border guard powers strikes me as really interesting.

The psionics, arcane magic, monsters, and barbarism are all really cool but Dark Sun is legitimately the only setting whose cleric/patron elements intrigue and inspire me.

Nice.

I view the Dark Sun wilderness as the logical pair to the hellish sci fi realm of dungeons (that is, a similarly improbable ecosystem of fungus, molds, slimes, ropers, otyughs, rothe, aboleths, etc).

What is the best game that published a Lankhmar sourcebook? I've seen AD&D, Savage Worlds, now there's DCC, I think Mongoose did one for D20.

Planescape, then fr, spelljammer and mystara. Love the tortles of mystara. Birthright had potential but I could never get anyone to want running a whole country as part of their game. They flirted with the idea but the crunch parts bored the shit out of them.

I don't have a problem getting people to play Birthright, my problem is more that I'd rather use it with other settings. Cerillia is kind of empty and threadbare.

Eberron, it's a mix between middle Earth and sci-fi and I'm a DM who loves his modern/sci-fi stuff. It's the JRPG of D&D.

Don't forgot demon inspired weird science!

OD&D implied setting

Eberron is one of the best things to come out of 3.5. Shame that it attracts the worst kind of players

Chanak, a small seven page pulp setting in the style of John Carter of Mars from TSR's Creative Campaigning. With nomadic pirate Wolfmen, a kingdom of Orc scholars and artists, humans of any color even violet, a continent of Vikings with laser guns, and more.

I'm interested in Eberron myself so what kinds of players does it attract?

I wonder how much I can trigger you guys with this

Aside from Planescape I'm utterly comfy with that.

Spelljammer

Mostly because i'm a sucker for antiquated understandings of how the universe works and Age of Discovery style fantasy adventures with sci-fi elements.

DUDE SCIENCE LMAO players

Where would you place Planescape?

>Dragonlance over literally anything that isn't Dragonlance, including that the setting with the forest of frozen piss
You win.

Also I never really liked Planescape.

Where would be the best places to start reading up on Mystara?

Fr & dl shouldn't even be in this. Fr is incredibly detailed to this day. Dl is at least fun even if it's a blatant lotr rip off.

Mystara is the setting for Basic. Aside from things like the Savage Coast or hollow world, you really might-as-well just homebrew over using it. It is intentionally D&D Generic, the setting.

>the hellish sci fi realm of dungeons
Reminder that the OSR rules for doors in dungeons only make sense in sci-fi.

The underlying concepts of Planescape are fine, but the execution was awful.
The main culprit is 2-axis alignment, but forcing the jargon into all the description and rules was painful too.
DiTerlizzi and Torment carried the setting, it can't stand on it's own.

I'd stick it between Krynn and Toril; but if I /had/ to pick an image, I would use the image you gave to Toril.

Never played Torment, but I agree that TD's art was the best part of the setting. Short of that, it was just one boring ass city of super-grim dullness.

Not really.

Dragonlance is quite shit desu and worse than FR.

But Greyhawk is the best generic kitchen sink out there for sure, and that redeems the thing considerably.

And I don't hype Spelljammer and Planescape. First is just typical nerdy mismatched idea fest, second has some good premises but they devolve into pointless shit ultimately.

But since I still have no strong feelings to settings rated below those, save a slightly warm spot for Greyhawk, and comparing standard fantasy with more exotic settings is usually pointless, I don't really care.

Each country in the setting has a Gazetteer (GAZ Series) book for it. They are all pretty short so just hunt down a few pdfs and go to town. Also there is Karameikos: Kingdom of Adventure for AD&D 2e which has setting info on the titular region.

If you wanted to trigger people you should have reversed it.

Blackmoor is objectively the best. It has the best elves, the best bows, and the best men. True heroes come from Blackmoor - all else are merely pretenders to the throne.

Symbaroum, dark fantasy with the feeling of solitude and awe.
Everything out there is greater than you, it's a humility lesson every step of the journey. Civilization against nature, both sides of the coin. No right choice. This game was a bless to TRPG.

I like and dislike a lot about eberron.
Like I think it's a good starting point to make adjustments to. I feel it's a sorely missed opportunity to not incorporate it more into spelljammer/planescape stuff too.

Kalamar
Cartography, solid cultures, and more
Low rez scan of map.

Kinslayer Wars

STEMfag here, can confirm: Eberron is my favorite setting.

>No Birthright

That's a skelemugging.

The rules are clunky, but it's a rich setting and I love how campaigns play out more like one-on-one conversations with the DM with occasional adventures.

Don't know enough about it. Sort of a "n/a" thing.

As someone who started with 3e and is now getting interested in 2e and earlier I'm starting to get the impression that there was more to the "Advanced" part of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons than simply more complicated rules.

>trigger you guys
But that image is completely correct.

No Spelljammer? What's wrong with you, OP?

Mystara
I really want to understand Mystara... but there is no concise place to do so. Grasping the Known World, The Savage Coast, and the Hollow World parts of it (and anything else I don't know to mention).

Most of it's books are just scattered adventures. Is the no campaign setting like book to read to get and over view?

Maybe this will help.
classic.mystara.net/gazetteer.html

Mystara
My first in to anything like D&D was an old Shadows over Mystara arcade machine in the back of some restaurant that I went to go to when I was a kid. The food there was meh, but damn if I didn't love that single game to death. I even bought the arcade port of it on steam even though the control scheme is terrible just for nostalgia, and I still love it There's just something about kicking the ass of dark elves, Sahaugin(?), gnolls, goblins, and kobolds that makes me nostalgic now.

Thanks mate!