Modern General

GP San Antonio edition

Playing?

Hating?

How do you feel about the deck diversity in the tournament so far?

Are you playing in it?

How do you feel about the announcing today?

Thoughts on the tourny meta so far?

How do you feel about Team unified?

Fact or Fiction? 8th and 9th should be banned
strawpoll.me/12656188

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern/full#paper
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-09-16-assisted-suicide/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

how? it's fucking skred, minimal decision making required

t. skred player

>Chained to the Rocks in Modern Burn

WHAT

it's strictly better than PtE, scrub netdeckers just like to keep prices high

Maybe if it wasn't an enchantment, yeah.

Except, ya know, pte is an instant. I mean, I can see pros and cons of both. I would say they're almost comperable.

>want to get into Modern
>too expensive to get a good deck

Wish I didn't take so many breaks when I was playing, then this would be so much easier to get into.

there are dozens of decent decks below the $1k mark. it's not as expensive as people think if you pick a deck that doesn't play fetch lands

It's really not that bad. Prices are still obscene, but it's just as expensive as any other recreational hobby.

I am comparing Modern to other MTG formats.

mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern/full#paper

there are plenty of decks that are reasonably priced, you don't have to play Jund or Abzan man. It's more important to play a deck you like and stick with it in modern rather than just play the most expensive stuff.

Thinking of getting into modern, anyone have any pointers for running 8-rack?

Compare it to Standard.

A t1 standard deck is easily a t2 modern deck

Always choose to draw

it's cheaper than standard if you account for rotation, although the upfront cost is higher. but at the same time, your deck isn't likely to be made completely obsolete every time a new set is released.

Price wise it's actually somewhat close to legacy. reserved list cards are the only thing that puts legacy decks over the top, but something like RB reanimator is a competitive deck that carries a price tag of like, what, $600?

Nobody plays paper vintage

and EDH is the wildcard where decks can be 3x as expensive if you want to be the vintage singleton verison, or 1/10th the price if you play with other casuals using pre-con power level decks.

But Modern is in the middle as far as expenses in various formats are concerned.

>Pauper: average cost $40
>Standard: varies by season, but usually around $300
>Modern: around $700 for an average deck. $1000 for BGx
>Legacy: anywhere between $600- $1700
>EDH/Commander: varies. Anywhere between $200- $2500

Budget decks exist in all formats, though, just usually not tiered.

yes, play a different deck

Once you add an additional 300 or so sure.

>Modern: $1000 for BGx
>Legacy: anywhere between $600- $1700
Those estimates seem pretty low.

BGx costs around 1200-1500 senpai, the avg seems on point though maybe could be 600

most legacy decks aren't actually that expensive unless they play blue duals. the ones that do fall around $1500-$2000. BUG and something like lands ends up around ~$3000.

eldrazi and D&T are tier 1 decks in legacy and both are just a cunt hair over $1k

the "legacy requires a second mortgage to play" is just a meme

The only decks that are 600 dollars in legacy are like manaless dredge and burn. Non blue decks cost about a grand. Blue decks start at 2 grand and go to 3. Elves is 2 grand also. This information is easy to find dude, everybody knows legacy is expensive.

>tfw r/b reanimator costs as much as a t2 modern deck

>most legacy decks aren't actually that expensive unless they play blue duals.
Were you excluding decks with blue duals in your estimate? It seems misleading to state that Legacy has a price range of $600-$1700 without mentioning that you're ignoring a portion of the competitive decks.

>the ones that do fall around $1500-$2000.
According to mtggoldfish, those decks range from about $2,200 to $3,400.

>Curious, so I check out the legacy meta on MTGGoldfish
>Burn: $203
The fuck
Can you actually win with it?

Yes, modern burn is a fucking meme, mono red burn in legacy is cheap and strong, just prepare for boring as fuck games vs miracles.

what? literally every figure there is wrong.

manaless dredge and burn are like, $150 and $200 respectively. Non-blue decks vary widely in price. BR reanimator is around $500-600 before you decide what kind of sideboard you want. But BGx like junk midrange are still $2k.

Blue decks can be made cheaper by only running 2x of your duals instead of 4 with almost no change in performance other than a greater weakness to wasteland. UR delver is seriously like $1600 and over half of that is scalding tarn and volcanic island.

however mtggoldfish figures the prices isn't 100% accurate. I can go search for all 75 cards for a list and picking out heavily played/whatever is cheapest (except for damaged) I can shave $200-300 off of their estimated prices. I have UBg reanimator and it was only about $1850 after bargain hunting for a few weeks. and that's with 4x force of will and 3x underground sea (and 1x bayou/1x tropical)

So your price range for Legacy is assuming that the cards would be obtained at the lowest possible prices. Is this true for the price averages of the other formats that were listed?

yes.

are you telling me when you buy cards you buy them all at "median" prices instead of searching for better deals on expensive staples?

No, I don't buy cards. I was just interested in the prices you listed.

Not him, but I generally don't like playing with damaged cards so I don't usually go below LP when I'm hunting.

i find that what most stores list as "heavily played" is what I consider lightly played. on one occasion I ordered three HP and one LP from the same vendor because I needed 4 of that card, and I couldn't tell the difference in them other than the most minor edge wear I've ever seen

I think we might have gotten confused. I posted but I didn't post I was just agreeing that budget decks exist in legacy, and budgetized versions of expensive decks can be made without affecting playability.

>i find that what most stores list as "heavily played" is what I consider lightly played. on one occasion I ordered three HP and one LP from the same vendor because I needed 4 of that card, and I couldn't tell the difference in them other than the most minor edge wear I've ever seen
See that's where we differ because every time I've ordered lower than LP I get stuff like heavily curled cards, noticeable creases heavy edge wear etc. It's cool that you either don't care or got lucky though, but personally I've found that if it's listed as HP it's probably got something wrong with it.

damn. Sorry about your luck then. I once ordered a damage alhammaret's archive for EDH and it was pretty fucked up but playable in a sleeve, but that experience taught me not to trust cards listed as damaged, but I've never been burned on ordering a heavily played before

Haven't been paying attention, what's the field looking like so far?

it's unified modern so the field is gonna be more skewed towards less played decks that don't use cards that mainstream decks use. For example there have been merfolk and KCI combo and kiki eldritch evolution combo all in the feature match area.

Figured the field would be skewed towards less played decks, just wondering which decks have been working so far
How much DSZ has been on? And how did the KCI deck fare?

KCI looked great in game one but I'm pretty sure it lost both post board games. Almost every team has had some death's shadow deck, there has been the regular jund, but also grixis and abzan.

Don't forget the sultai death's shadow.

The only combo we're missing at this point is mardu DS

Surprised more people aren't running AN since most of it's cards are unique
Figure nobody's running Tron

Some people are running AN and a few were running Eldrazi Tron but none for traditional Tron.

P much what I expected
Still think Twoo isn't right about Eldrazi tron, it's not awful like he thinks

It's not awful but it's a typical curve deck that just wants to cast bigger dudes every turn. It has terrible removal suites and all its answers have to either be colorless or shit with Phyrexian Mana(Dismember, Surgical Extraction) and hopes to trade profitably or stabilize with a Basilisk Collar on a Walking Ballista or Endbringer.

It's fine but a boring deck but sometimes boring is what you need to get the job done, in a nutshell it's just an Eldrazi deck running Tron lands.

I think the worst part about it is it's problem with removal and I don't think it's that bad, which is what makes it good at taking down other midrange threats since it has a bigger top end, but I think it's going to get over by DZS and you're better off with Bant to fight that
I played a good amount of it online and I had a good winrate against everything but DSZ

give me THE BEST merfolk list. thinking about starting up and I love the look of the deck so i want to get a list to start building on. also incluse the price if you can

Merfolk lists haven't changed since the last merfolk were printed m8

literally
ANY
site that sells cards will have a list

don't be fucking dumb

Merfolk is boring

well i just need a list in general famalama, im too gay and lazy to google, and when I have there have been variations in some decks

>talk about fish
>instantly becomes bait

you tipped the hand lad. No point maintaining a poor ruse.

fish triggers people for some reason.
really makes you think

fucking timmies

I'd like to know if I could ask a judge to watch my game when an Eggs player is going off so I know if they're 100% doing the motions correctly.

How are they Timmies? Anything blue is like kryptonite to them.

probably not, judges have better shit to do usually

Of course. It's the timmies who always complain and want bans.

I heard one ask for a Congregate ban once. It was horrible.

5$ says shitzards bans DS in a 3 months

The new version of Burn seems very strong. Went undefeated at FNM. Pros say its got a bad Deaths Shadow matchup but I havent lost to it much and it doesnt feel that bad, maybe they arent piloting it right against me.
Kataki, War's Wage is good spice against Affinity.

I really hope not. Its fair and not overpowered. Its one of the fairest top decks modern has had in a while.

They'd more likely ban bauble, but if they do ban anything from the deck, I'll probably stop playing.
There's nothing oppressive about the deck

>Pros say its got a bad Deaths Shadow matchup
That's literally the opposite, Nacatl are basically dead against the deck

I think you're right and it's easily the most interesting deck in the format, but I can still see wizards hitting the deck because it's too fast or something stupid like that

Banning bauble would be the worst ban ive ever seen

Im playing the RW version with no Nacatl. Just a green splash for Destructive Revelry. Nacatl is nice but hes not a good topdeck.

That's what I've heard most people say is the best version and it makes perfect sense why. a vanilla 3/3 just doesn't cut it and spells are guaranteed damage

I play against Burn quite a bit at locals, and it's always extremely easy.
I can get my Shadows to 5/5 or higher much easier, which puts their creatures on blocking duty. Any burn I take to the face after that is just going to let me one shot them with Battle Rage.

I've had a person say that Damnation and Wrath of God should be banned but that Verdict is fine because he was playing some meme regeneration shitbrew and I blew him the fuck out with Damnation.

>what is instant speed
>what is abrupt decay

I've heard from quite a few people that Goyf should be banned. I never pay them any attention, so I don't know their reasoning.

Trying to put together something for modern.. Considering buying a couple of cheaper decks bc I'm autismo and don't like playing only one deck

Thinking maybe mono G Stompy, bc I already have a playset of CoCo, and then maybe a more budget UR delver? I have a couple snapcasters and a lot of the instants in delver

Any other suggestions for fun/relatively cheap decks that can still manage to take games?

I'm really glad Burn is moving away from Nacatl. Everyone thought I was crazy when I wasn't playing them after the unban. "omg it's a green Bolt!" Yeah, but it's a lousy topdeck and dead on about 1/3rd of my matchups. When I was testing, I ended up siding it out for some number for spells, and a card that's the go- to to take out of your mainboard, is a card best removed.

>bump in the night in modern burn

>Gonti's mechanations in modern burn

If you already have a playet CoCo, buy Allies. Allies are hilarious.

I didn't know hilarious was synonymous with garbage eksDee

literally in the OP you lazy shitstain

Yeah having a much higher win rate without the Nacatls.
I guess. If you go down low enough though theres always chance for double bolt or boros charm bolt.

It also dies to more removal now because Push

Anyone play RW Prison here?
I think it's pretty fun. Not that great.

Just wondering if the planeswalker build is the best. The LD themed variant seems weakest

Its an interesting deck due to the many variants of it. The Land Destruction is probably the weakest but against certain decks can easily win along with early Blood Moon. Chalice is your heavy hitter against Burn and Affinity. You struggle against Tron though because Blood Moon can only delay the inevitable hardcast fatties. The decks only problem is its awkward draws and removal sometimes.

Im trying to make a variant of mono B 8-rack control that has bit more going on. considering dropping the racks and relying on Obliterator + arena and deaths shadow for wincon

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-09-16-assisted-suicide/

I feel like Gideon, AoZ is a lot better then Gideon Jura at stabilizing and fighting off aggro. Gideon Jura can only force Deaths Shadows to have to kill him next turn where as AoZ pours out streams of tokens for one less mana.

Why the fuck does Skred play 4 Mind Stone? Why not just play 4 Simian Spirit Guide instead for explosiveness? Or Magus of the Moon for more Blood Moon effects.

>Magus of the Moon
It's like you don't know why blood moon is good

probably to get into its 4's and 5's faster since those are what it uses to stabilize
It's also card draw

Bolt is less ubiquitous then it used to be. Fatal Push cant be cast from a Mountain. Plus more Moon effects makes you more likely to have it opening hand.

skred is a control deck
it doesn't play ssg for the same reason the blue moon doesn't play it, you don't want to 2-for-1 yourself when your goal is to out grind your opponent

Why the FUCK is chalice $60 each

REPRINT WHEN

Because it's being played in every Tron variant and the shitty RW decks

with fricking pia's revolution does the enchantment owner just pick any opponet when an art goes to the grave yard ?

yes
your idea still isnt great

If I wanted to make a Sultai Death's Shadow deck, what blue cards would I want to run besides visions? I wanted to go with a sort of controlling deck that is more interactive than DSJ and wins with Become Immense instead of rage or rampager. Should I cut the inquisitions for cheap counters like pierce/snare/stubborn denial? The main reason I want to build this deck is that it would feature 2-3 Night's Whispers that can be set up by Visions or just be cheap card advantage on its own that also beefs up your shadows

delver and snaps
spell pierces and the like i guess
it'd probably look like grixis shadow but with goyfs, just a thought

I love the synergies with pia's revolution, I do... But the card just isn't that great, even if built around. But then again, I could be wrong, in fact, I want you to prove me wrong, user

Couldn't you just throw Pia's Revolution into robots and use arcbound ravager as a sac outlet/damage dealer? Throw down an opal, tap sac to ravager recast it etc?

Most DSJ decks are over $1,500.

Not the same guy, but this is only half true. I've been playing the same deck for over a year now, but with meta changes, my deck now has bad matchups against every tier 1 deck.

So should I just get rid of the wraiths completely? My creatures currently have are:
DS x4
Goyf x2
Snapcaster x2
Wraiths x4

I could cut the wraiths and run 2 more snaps and two more Night's Whisper, or just four Delvers. Not sure what fits the game plan better.

Grixis Shadow still runs 4 wraiths, and also runs 4 snaps as well, then runs 3 tasigur 1 fish as beaters
I'd say don't bother with night's whisper, it's too slow

which deck?

Only 2 goyfs? Your list keeps sounding worse and worse