Playing 2e

>playing 2e
>low level beholder encounter
>archer puts torch in a bracket
>archer accidentally shoots torch
>moment of silence as everyone realizes we're standing in water, and the beholder floats
>everyone looks at inventory lists
>I have a series of bells I tied to some wire that I string around campsites for extra protection
>"I THROW MY BELLS ON THE BEHOLDER"
>DM looks confused, I remind him of my bells on wire
>MFW the encounter goes utterly tits up, almost TPK, but we survived because the penalties for not knowing where an attack was coming from were bigger than the penalties for not being able to see something you know exactly where it is
>MFW we killed it

What's the dumbest thing you've pulled out of your inventory to save the day, Veeky Forums?

Wow.
Just wow.

I thought beholders had darkvision?

it's a really low-level one, it had low-light vision. It's called a... lensman, according to the DM. It also only had one eye.

It does, they didn't.

>we spark revolt in town against dwarven mafia at execution
>prisoner about to be assassinated by slaver with poison knife
>use magic to drop his ass and the weapon
>grab the knife
>later fight against dwarven mafia boss
>my halfing cleric has no way of beating this guy
>i pull out and stab him with the knife
>i hit
>he crit fails his poison roll

>poison save
>poison killing someone

SECOND EDITION FRIEND? ARE YOU A 2E FRIENDO?

3.5 my dm uses alot of homebrew
it was a deadly poison of the "evil no pc allowed" sort

I never got why 3.5 poison is so weak. It's literally a double-edged sword.

The idea was that the "kill instantly" poisons would be on par with save-or-die spells.
But then they printed SoDs from level one, gave everything and it's mother immunity to poison, and there went that idea.

Poison is still very good if you can get it for free or apply it in mass. Minor Creationing a few thousand doses of contact poison, even the shittiest type, will generally ruin an entire room's day.

>The idea was that the "kill instantly" poisons would be on par with save-or-die spells.
Maybe it's the guy who just mentioned OSR poison, but your wording is reminding me of OSR saves.

In OSR saves are about What you want to avoid, not How you want to avoid it. The save for poisons Save versus Death, Paralysis, and Poison is literally the save-or-die save.

>Fighting ice elemental
>Wizard and Paladin in saving throws
>In a act of madness I throw a chunk of flaming Garlic bread from the last battle
>It hits rope
>It burns rope
>Rope held chandelier up
>Chandelier was right above ice elemental
>It fell

how did the garlic bread get on fire? were you aiming at the rope? these details are important. What the fuck was happening?

>s literally the save-or-die save.
Not if your GM actually uses more than one kind of poison.

he said there's a save specifically for "death, paralysis and poison" so no, I don't think it does matter.

Most referees didn't. The ones who did used the samevsaves

>be me
>Playing dungeons and Dragons
>In a dungeon
>of course
>Check myself after a fight
>ONE fucking hitpoint left
>Cleric is unconscious
>Paladin is dead
>Friendo rogue is petrified
>Decide "fuck it" and move into next room
>God
>Damn
>Dragon
>Sees me, knows I'm fucked, I know im fucked
>it begins to charge, everyone's gettin ready to roll their 4d6
>wait a second, that card
>Remember DM gave us all a card at the start of the game and we couldn't look at it until we wanted to use it
>He called them the cards of fate
>I use mine
>It's fucking Joker (Death)
>Dragon dies in one hit
>Get enough XP to level up
>Fully healed, all spells restored, got new magic
>Proceed to use my wizard powers to un fuck everything
>Wish the paladin back to life
>Stone to Meat to fix the petrifiy dude
>Grab everyone and the loot and greater teleport the hell out of there
There has never been so much cheering at the table before.

Your referee is shit.

That fate mechanic sounds nice, any other games that use that?

... this is fucking garbage. This is the worst fucking greentext I've ever read. Leveling up healed you? why? Why the fuck did you have a fucking "deck of many things" card for free? Was it guaranteed to be useful? Why did none of your friends use one? Why were you continuing to explore at 1hp?

This sounds fake as shit, and if it's not, you're bad at TTRPGs, and your referee is worse.

>m-muh referee!!!
Fuckin punk ass nerd, real thugs like me keep it real by playin d&d the classic way it was meant to be played in the hood - blood and crypts. true og shit bitches getting iced with frost magic left n right. not like modern days weak ass "m-muh saving throws" bullshit. Fuck you.

>be op
>specifically have mentioned that you're in a second edition game
>get accused of playing "modern" D&D

???

I was very clear in my explanation of why your greentext was shit. Your DM saved your ass by accident for no reason via stupid fucking cards. Why would I not insult that?

>Get enough XP to level up
>Fully healed, all spells restored, got new magic

That's not how it works
That's not how it works at all

yeah, I dunno what fucking game he's playing.

Sounds like house rules to me. The "fate card" thing is clearly homebrew, don't know why vidya-style level ups are out of the question in your mind.

sure, but it's still bad.

>be first campaign I ever played
>party has to deal with some bandits, because of course we do
>Rogue is being a little shit, and has a couple pounds of contraband "Rag Weed" on him.
>We find bandits, get beaten, and taken prisoner by the Bandits
>Bandits take our shit
>We're in the cell, I'm able to charm Moles (I was a druid) to get us the key to our cell
>break out of jail, sneaking through bandit fortress to find where our stuff is
>we find our stuff being "guarded" by two bandits, who have been knocked unconscious after smoking way too much Rag Weed
I didn't complain about the rogue being a dickass ever again after that

that's great. Drugs are always a solid addition to any game.

>sure, but it's still badwrongfun
Fix'd. Queer.

It doesn't make sense. It's a completely illogical world. It's bad. It's also bad when it happens in Vidya. It's a mechanic with no relationship to what happens in the world. Those are not good in a ROLEPLAYING game.

>Hurr durr im stupid i dont get a surge of power when i level up i never heard of BIlly the Comeback Kid durr dee hurr

Dungeons Dragon

>OH MY GOD YOU GUYS ARE HAVING FUN!? B-BUT ITS NOT HOW I WOULD DO IT ITS BAD ITS BAD ITS BAD

>completely illogical world
>in a world with wizards and dragons and fucking ancient robotic dieties from the first age
Cmon son.

I dunno why it triggers you so hard. It seems like it led to fun for the guys playing the game.

seems like you're upset because they called you out on posting a BS story

>It's a mechanic with no relationship to what happens in the world.
To be fair, it's possible that they had those cards in-character (a la deck of many things) and the reason they couldn't look at them is because they didn't know how to interpret them in-character.

seems like your upset because you are a fucking faggot who will never play or find players to play games with you ;)

>playing Pathfinder
>summoner class, party is mid levels
>party takes part in local tournament to make a good impression on some political factions
>big event is a labyrinth with summoned/bound monsters and puzzles set up by the sponsors
>contestants are watched via scrying
>encounter a powerful, way out of our league devil
>diplomacy ahoy!
>get contract to "remove the bound angel somewhere in this dungeon from this plane of existence" in exchange for being told the exit afterward
>go find the angel, holy shit she's way over our heads too
>tense negotiations to not get wiped
>announce my plan to fuck over the devil for his wording, angel loves the idea
>cast a spell to create an extradimensional pit and the angel goes in it
>our magic contract glows, we book it back to the devil
>contract bound to tell us the way out but pissed because he detected the angel was still alive somhow
>haul ass with angry devil in pursuit to the exit, escape using the directions he gave us while hearing the angel laughing from somewhere inside
>locals loved it, make a great impression, fellow players and DM enjoyed the plan
>RL schedule forces me out of the game starting the week after

that's not what I was talking about there, that mechanic could be fine, I don't know enough about it. I was complaining about the instant heal shit. Also the story is fake as fuck.

>entire party is wiped
>wizard at 1 hp
>decides to continue exploring
>somehow beats a fuckin dragon on initiative

bullshit.

Says the dude with the fakest fuckin story in the thread, and we had a story that revolved around garlic bread that was on fire for no adequately explained reason. Also, I'm in a shadowrun game, a 2e game, and I'm getting ready to start DMing a 2e game myself. Check thyself.

>summoner
>didn't just summon a bunch of angels and have the big angel help you beat up the devil

you make me sad

Also that ending. Always sucks when a fun group gets split.

>shadowrun
AH AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>LE MATRIX GAEM
>IM SO HIP AND TRENDY AND COOL I PLAY COUNTER CULTURE GAMES ;)
you are a huge faggot and i am embarrased for you for liking that "drege" shit.

>HOW DARE YOU TELL ME HOW TO HAVE FUN!
>lel your game is shit

I'm playing the games I like, user. If anyone here is playing a shit game, it's you.

Also, since when is cyberpunk counter-culture? It's been mainstream for... a while. Blade Runner is a pretty fuckin successful movie.

>summon more angels
All I could do would be lantern archons and I doubt they'd have helped much. But could have been a good way to go too, would have got us more points with the church and militia, though being favored by the wizard college and legalistic court folks proved pretty useful.

blade runner fucking sucked. when I went to go see the movie I thought it was going to be based on the blade I thru III movies, about a parkour style adventure where the protag was running from vampires or something.

That movie did not have EITHER of those things!

Fuck off.

... Ah, I understand. You're either A) a troll trying to get a rise intentionally or B) so mentally stunted no effort could ever make it through to you. Well, I guess, congratulations? You got me? I briefly thought you were legitimate.

>oh no, I'm losing an argument on the internet! Better get to maximum buttblast defense force
>I know, i'll project my retardation onto them! That's a proven tactic to work!

Also, being either a troll or a mental defective is a better fate than playing some shitty vaporware meme game

Fuck off.

What's wrong little boy? You mad that you got called out on your bullshit?

>inb4 "Fuck off." because you don't have any other 'arguments'

If you're a legitmate non-troll, please explain why you expected a movie that came out in 1982 to be based on a movie that came out in 1998? Otherwise, see

>not understanding the concept that there's more than one person in the thread disagreeing with you

you're a special lad, aren't you?

Because I watched it in 2006, dumbass. Yes, I am. I'm the chosen one to come in and purify this shitty fucking board of /qst/ cyoa faggotry and anime shitposters by pointing out that they have containment boards and they need to FUCK BACK OFF TO WHERE THEY CAME FROM.

I thought you were done

h-hey, don't do that, I left that thread alone...
Fine. I'll go play shitty games on newgrounds or something. Goodnight.

>>FFRPG Campaign
>>There are items that cast low tier spells
>>Have one that casts fire
>>Becomes obsolete after 5 levels
>>Get in a fight with Cagnazzo, water fiend
>>My Blue Mage has no really good attacks, because GM is stingy.
>>One guy gets frozen.
>>Frozen is cured with any amount of fire damage.
>>Throw obsolete bomb fragment, deal 1 fire damage after applying magic armor
>>He's able to act on his turn
>>GMFacewhen

>thread about TTRPG stuff
>on TG

are you literally complaining because I'm using smug anime girls? is that what this is? That's actually fuckin hilarious dude.

also

>not doing even the barest amount of checking on what a movie is

Blade is resigned to bargain bins. Blade Runner is getting a remake and has shaped cinema for the past three and a half decades. Maybe... you're the counter-culture meme moron.

now that's what I love. Completely obsolete pointless shit you just never take out of your inventory. This is also why it's always a good idea to just have a non-magic knife.

can't decide if actually the troll admitting to it, or a memer deciding to pretend that's what it is.

>>FFRPG
The Returners one? If so, how did it play? I never got to try that out before they got shut down.

>playing Shadowrun 5e
>our Johnson wants us to 'obtain' a local biker gang's hideout
>we've had run-ins with this gang before, luckily no survivors or witnesses
>having some bikes from our previous engagements, and a few sets of their colors, we are able to enter their hideout with relative ease
>discover the gang is picking up a large shipment of Cram
>our face persuades some gangers to let us take the guard detail for the pick up
>2 gangers roll out with a semi, and our members on a pair of bikes
>they proceed to the pick up, a ganger exits the truck to talk business with the folks in suits & the crate of drugs
>our maniac of a physical adept slips into the truck's cab to chat with the other ganger
>ganger is pleased to have company, offers adept a hit of Bliss
>adept, with his shit Con skill, presents a counter offer in the most unsubtle voice imaginable
>WOULD YOU LIKE TO TRY THIS SWEET DRUG, NEURO-STUN VIII?
>ganger critically fails
>Sure! That sounds great!
>adept managed to convince this idiot to INJECT knockout gas, he quickly dies
>once drug deal is finished, suits quickly depart, and our members easily eliminate the remaining ganger as he finds his dead comrade
>highjacking the semi, we dump the drugs at an alternative location, and proceed to fill the semi with our remaining members, including our troll rigger crammed into a compact car with mounted .50 Cal machine guns
>gangers don't notice the change of crew in the cab, as we back the truck into the hideout
>ganger goes to open the cargo
>What the fu-
>compact car lands on him, mounted guns firing
>gangers slaughtered in the surprise
>now the proud owners of a semi-truck, and over a dozen new bikes
>mission accomplished

2e isn't OSR. That's why we give it the numberwang treatment while AD&D defaults to mean the edition Gygax wrote.

>2e isn't OSR.
Yes it is.

Gives a new meaning to food fight...