MTG Amonkhet Gods

So what do we think their abilities are going to be? Obviously they will be indestructible, but what else? How big and how bad?

Also, reminder:
Cat Woman = White
Crocodile Dundee = Black
Jacket Ding Donghae = Red
Birdman = Blue
Snakester = Green

Other urls found in this thread:

m.imgur.com/a/rip5M
youtube.com/watch?v=aBSU4SBrNJU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

WWWWWOOOOOAAAAHHHHH

White's mechanic seems to be embalm. All creatures in the graveyard have embalm would be pretty good for the cat.

Every embalm creature has a matching token, so that wouldn't work

So far we know a few things about the gods.

White god's name is Oketra and referred to as Oketra the True.
Red god's name is Hazoret.
Green god's name is Rhonas and he's the god of strength.

Also, the big city of Amonkhet is called Naktamun.

It depresses me that I had at any point thought they might be something more than mono-colour.

I guess anything more complex than that is too hard for babbies to get.

Do we at least know who the currently reigning pharaoh is? I want at least one legendary creature with that type. That and cats. Lots of them.

And why does the snake god have a stave similar to Avacyb? is there a connection?

They're also making a little embalm punch out token so it might.

>Do we at least know who the currently reigning pharaoh is?
Bolas.

>And why does the snake god have a stave similar to Avacyb?
The creative team being out of ideas as per usual.

Am i the only other person who's mind was blown by that vengeful Pharoah thing?

Fixed it

Is it bad I want them all to be constructed gods, so they are colored artifacts

Go back to /pol/

AYO, HOL UP

>Egyptian god of the dead is a jackal
>"Yeah, this jackal god is totally gonna be red you guys"

Was really hoping they'd be shards coloured. I want to play esper in standard

Isn't Anubis just the guardian of the dead, while Osiris is the actual god of the Afterlife? Plus, there's another Jackal/Wolf god called Wepwawet who is the god of victory. When somebody passes the trials they are personally killed by this Red Jackal to be sent to the afterlife.

So it kinda makes sense.

What are the chances Standard becomes better?

EGYPTIAN GOD CARDS
They actually did it the absolute madmen

Her name is Hazorat.

m.imgur.com/a/rip5M

Still, though, Anubis is more closely associated with black than any other animal-headed god, as far as I know.

Probably. Both of those things were pointed when the cards were released.

Anubis isn't even a jackal.

Right, he's actually a wolf, right?

I figured it out

>trial of 5 gods is a scam
>the "gods" are just puppets who appear to embody good traits
>bolas uses the trials to weed out any competitors and ensure he still reigns supreme

He is. You're thinking of Set.

>this is horrifying to the Gatewatch
How much time will we still having the power ranger magic meme?

WE WUZ

Until 2-4 years after the Magic the Gathering movie bombs horribly.

ELDER DRAGONS AND SHIEET

I really doubt he's going to find anything that could put up a fight against him. He's the probably the strongest living 'walker all things considered.

Reminder that the movie is produced by Brian Goldner who also produced such undeniable classics as Ouija: Origin of Evil and G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, and Simon Kinberg who as both producer and writer was responsible for giving us the 2015 reimagining of Fantastic Four.

It's also written by Brian Cogman, some random dude known for nothing other than penning a few episodes of Game of Thrones and who has suddenly been given the responsibility to write several fantasy-themed Hollywood movies currently in the works because of it.

How long did the Weatherlight last? Like, ten years?
About that long.

Six years. The current characters have been around for almost twice as long even though the Gatewatch story just started.

Why couldn't they just do a Netflix series? The big thing MtG has going for it is the different planes, and a series would be able to explore the Multiverse much better than a movie could.

>a series would be able to explore the Multiverse much better than a movie could.
Gatewatch pretty much got rid of that aspect of the story, so even if they did try something on Netflix, I doubt they could pull it off.

>Archeologists identified the sacred animal of Anubis as an Egyptian canid, that at the time was called the golden jackal, but recent genetic testing has caused the Egyptian animal to be reclassified as the African golden wolf.

I didn't catch it either, so only tryhards and super magic lorefags who have been keeping up with the shitty story for the past few years would put two and two together.

I wish the King of Games was a new walker in this set.

Christ, your salt is unbearable.

Gatewatch has only been a thing for 3 and a half stories, and we have gotten brand new planes in 2 of them. Gatewatch hasn't killed the exploration aspect any. It just gave us a recurring cast to do the exploring for a while.

>BFZ: Rehash plane, focus only on Gatewatch/Eldrazi.
>SOI: Rehash Plane, focus only on Gatewatch/Eldrazi and a little bit of angels/humans shit.
>Kaladesh: New plane! Focus on Gatewatch (Chandra) and mostly one city.
I'm not salty, I'm just saying it's pretty silly to expect meaningful exploration of Planes when we've got the Jacetice League taking center stage.

Gatewatch Jacestice League fag detected.

It's amazing that some people still defend the decision that WotC made to create this ragtag team of shit stains. I hope Bolas melts all of them, personally. I hope he grinds them up and turns them into a, into a jelly.

I really only sympathize with the gatewatch here sense we haven't actually seen any sign of this afterlife. From their perspective these people are getting tricked into suicide sense they have yet to see the afterlife.
It would be nice to have the afterlife Bolas promises to actually be real so there is some moral conflict between the gatewatch and Bolas.

"Since"

And I agree it would be interesting if there was an afterlife such as the one Bolas claims to bring, but knowing Bolas, this is all part of some master scheme he planned from the very beginning. He just wants to get them all together to probably kill them together. Or try to.

The little flavor we have gotten so far states specifically that it's the possibility of Bolas' afterlife being real that the Gatewatch fears.

The souls of those people are definitely being mashed into elder dragon energy drinks.

Source?

Judging drom , I was under the impression that they are horrified by it because Bolas is putting thousands I'd not millions to their deaths, either to raise them as an undead army or to ignite planeswalkers' sparks and raise them as his own. Basically brainwash them.

I think it's more that they are horrified by the prospect that the purported afterlife comes along with Bolas's return.

>And the people here are HAPPY
IS THAT A HOMOSEXUAL COUPLE I SEE THERE

This is going to be a G rare with a shitty version of Glimpse of nature stapled to it, calling it.

So, are we getting more spoliers tomorrow?

Eh, I'm kinda excited. After the disappointing theros gods, I'm ready for praetor 2 non-phyrexia edition.

Is there going to be a black/red/blue bolas deck?

Yes

Doesn't that have less to do with which characters we're following and a lot more to do with how those planes were really popular and people wanted to return to them very much?

Image of bolas is on Hour of Devastation packs, so most likely we wont see him until then

It's a little of both I think.
Ideally the shock of how much these popular Planes have changed would be the hook, but instead all we get is some wacky Eldrazi shenanigans that are quickly solved by the Gatewatch, which seems to go against the 'all powerful' eldritch nature of the Eldrazi.

That's more a gripe about the execution rather than the fact that we haven't seen new planes "because of the Gatewatch".

Well you're right about poor execution, but I wasn't arguing that we're not seeing new planes because of Gatewatch, more that the planes that we visit aren't as interesting because everything is colored by the Gatewatch's involvment which so far, hasn't been too great I think.

>cat, snek, burd
Goddamnit Snekgod would have been great if he was Bant

>Well you're right about poor execution
I didn't say anything about the execution.

But I do see that the sets are very "story focused". Although I felt the original Kaladesh block wasn't as stifled as people say it is. We saw tons of stuff that wasn't at all relevant to the story, a lot of it was in Ghirapur but there was a lot of cards (particularly green ones) describing some outland stuff that never once appeared or was mentioned in the official story but was still there and present.

If we do get a Black Green one, it's definitely going to be top-tier or a pile of Shit. There is no in-between.

More like 3 to 4 years.

I think Amonkhet is a Planeswalker factory. Only one in a million souls has a spark, and only a handful of those ignite. Bolas created Amonkhet to force otherwise dormant sparks to ignite. Then he keeps the useful Planeswalkers and absorbs the power from the sparks of the ones he considers expendable.

>Crocodile Dundee = Black
>Jacket Ding Donghae = Red
Wrong ya dingus.

No, that's correct. The fact that people still don't realize that Wizards spoiled them in WUBRG order is fucking mindnumbing.

I was gutted when it turned out Embalm wasn't instant speed. Why can't we have nice things in magic?

I really don't get why BG gets better vindicate-esqu effects then BW.

Vindicate is much older than Maelstrom Pulse.
Hitting lands is a trade-off.

Are you trolling?
Check the art on vindicate and malestorm pulse invocations

Cat = White
Crocorock = Green
Jackhole = Red
Snek = Black
Tote = Bwoo

No.

This

Damn. Not-egypt plane sounds cool on paper, but this makes it sound even better.

youtube.com/watch?v=aBSU4SBrNJU

Any chance we going to have some sort of egyption themed evil counter part gate watch?

This sounds so cool that I think it's guaranteed that wizards won't do this.

Doubt it. We already know two of the 4 Amonkhet set Planeswalkers are Gideon and Liliana, and one of the two Hour of Devestation walkers is Bolas himself.

I predict one of the two remaining Amonkhet walkers will be a native walker whose spark ignited before taking the trials and has an understanding the true nature of the Multiverse rather than being a Bolas puppet, and the other will be a Bolas made Walker. No idea who the second Walker in Devastation will be.

An even worse version of Tibs?

RRR
+1 draw a card, discard two cards at random.
-3 Deal damage equal to the number of cards in your hand to a random creature or planeswalker
-8 draw your deck, discard all cards but one at random. Put your hand into your library in a random order.

So it's another plane the size of Delaware?

The plane is probably bigger than that, but we won't get to see much more than a single city, and it's likely that there's not much more to civilization than the one city that Bolas bothers to protect.

this reminds me of how concentrated Kaladesh block was.
How convenient for design....

They've already DONE a "planeswalker-factory-for-harvesting" story on Mirrodin, do we really need to have that plot point rehashed instead of something new?

I hope the "afterlife" he promises is actually real and he later uses his planeswalker powers to call personal armies out of it on demand like warriors descending from Valhalla.

Mirrodin wasn't a planeswalker factory. Memnarch wanted to put life on Argentum and later said "Man, I really want a spark. Oh hey, that elf chick has one! Imma take it!"

>we don't like these people's cultures and beliefs
>better fuck their shit up

Why does the writing make me want to kill myself?

>The one surrounded by undead isn't the black god

>What are the Levelers

Most people in the real world feel that way about stuff like child marriages, honor killings, stonings, and pederasty.

A good rule of thumb is that if Bolas wants something, it's probably in the rest of the multiverse's interest that he not get it.

We don't know what he's using the souls of these people who willingly give their lives in his name for, but it's probably nothing good.

I actually hope the gatewatch get absolutely curbstomped by Bolas this set. The dude is an oldwalker dragon who's had all the time in the world to prepare for the meddling of others. He's not a mentally unstable whiner like Nahiri or Sorin, Bolas is a stone cold manipulator and besides Yawgmoth one of the closest things the setting has to a lucifer figure.

The only one of them that should be seen as a threat by him is Ajani, who isn't a raging moron and actually didn't even want to come to Amonkhet without backup. Catbro should get a massive I-Told-You-So moment and save them from getting their assess beat.

Then they can go grab Elspeth out of the underworld and break Sorin out of a rock and maybe then see about fighting bolas

>Jackal is in all the red invocations and is referenced in red flavour text.

>Crocodile is in the black invocations.

But geez, maybe it's the other way around.

I personally wish that Hour of Devastation has the Gatewatch last-ditch Planeswalking in random directions to escape from getting murdered by Bolas.
Then we could get a cool block or two about them landing in random new (or old!) planes, finding allies there, and then regrouping to confront Bolas properly.
This, of course, sounds too cool so I know it'll never happen.

Don't you think Ugin might want a part in giving Bolas an unusually bad day?

The gatewatch could be useless city this time and Ugin/Sorin would be the only dynamic duo able to save the day. but Sorin will only do it if there's something for him to take home...

Could be nice.

If there isn't a cycle of human soldiers called, in order,
>Serpent Guard
>Jackal Guard
>Cat Guard
>Crane Guard
>Crocodile Guard

and thus preventing me from making my 5 colour Planar Bridge deck, I'm going to be absolutely furious

That isn't the snake God, just compare the pictures for a damn second.

That's just an awesome snake guy

This fucking guy

Ugin vs Bolas has been pretty interesting to me.

Bolas did beat him on his own turf, but I notice the dragon was a lot more...careful taking on Ugin than he normally is. For one thing, he set up before Ugin knew to be on guard for him and initiated the battle as an ambush only after he had a minion in place that could stop Ugin from dragonstorming him to death.

It was good tactics, which is par the course for Bolas and one of many reasons I don't think the Gatewatch can beat him, but it also implied to me that Bolas did not think he could take Ugin on mano a mano and win.

I might be reading a little bit too much into that, since it's equally likely that Bolas was just hedging his bets because fighting Ugin on his home turf put the odds in his favor, but either Bolas couldn't lure him away or was taking advantage of the fact Ugin would never expect to be attacked in his seat of power.

How DID Bolas kill Ugin? I only know what Crux of Fate shows, mainly that it happened and Sarkhan changed that.

Bolas turned the Khan of the Temur into one of his agents beforehand and had her hide near the ambush site. He and Ugin went toe-to-toe, but Ugin basically cast Dragonstorm at him to summon a shitload of dragons to try and finish Bolas off. Yasova was brought in to counter this by using creature-controlling magic to turn Ugin's dragon horde against him, and Bolas dealt the fatal blow to the wounded Ugin.

Sarkhan, travelling back in time, was able to use a bit of hedron he'd been carrying around to create a cocoon around the mortally wounded Ugin and allow him to survive but be in a coma for thousands of years. Sorin's arrival in the present day allowed Ugin to awaken in the future, where Bolas's evil is LAW.

I think that Bolas could possibly take Ugin on in a straight up fight and win, but the chance of losing, or even suffering a pyrrhic victory is too high.