Typical Games Workshop Employee Horror Stories

Hey there! My name's Andy, welcome to Games Workshop, are you interested in Warhammer?

>Yeah I mean, I had like a beginner's kit when i was ju-

Thats great, let me just put a latest edition Codex aside for you

>Oh... ok.

There are tons of really cool armies you can collect, were you thinking of playing Fantasy or 40K?

>Well the Dark Eldar really caught my attention after some pict-

OH, Dark Eldar? They are just super bad right? Let me just put these aside for you, *adds Path of the Renegade, Path of the Incubus, Path of the Archon, Path of the Dark Eldar, The Masque of Vyle, to basket*

>Uhh, ok I really wasn't looking to spend much today I was actually just here to brows-

Hey thats really cool man, have a look at these, did you know there are 30 armies you can collect in 40K? I'd really recommend starting with some Kabalite Warriors, does that sound good?

>Well yeah actually that does sound pretty good I mean its not such a huge commitm-

Alrighty then lets just put this to one side *adds Voidraven Bomber, some Razorwing Jetfighters and Reavers*

>Hey what's that?

Oh im just moving some things around, anyway, you'll definitely need paints with that

>Yeah, what would you recommend?

Lets see here, we have *adds every paint in the fucking shop including inks, primers, cans, washes, base paints, etc, also the overpriced heap of shit Games Workshop modelling tools*

Alrighty sir will you be paying by cash or card?

>*Leaves shop never to return again, goes online, buys what he needs there*

>Go to games workshop
>Buy my stuff
>"you need any paint, primer, glue, brushes anything you forgot?"
>"no"
>"cash or debit?"
>pay
>leave
FUCKING GAMES WORKSHOP

Every fucking time brother.

There's something about their personality, it almost forces you to buy something, jedi mind tricks taught at the GW headquarters.

It's like these horror stories are sheltered man children who only know how to talk big online...

Extra models kids, just say no and ignore the staff if you don't want to talk them.

>Go to local store
>"Hello, welcome, is there anything I can help you with today?"
>No
>"Alright just let me know if you have any questions"
How do these people sleep at night?

>go to GW to get some paint
>guy asks "so what're you working on?"
>"what? Oh, nothing warhammer"
>"oh cool, whats that then"
>"huh, some Malifaux stuff"
>"Cool, I have some Neverborn stuff"
>proceed to have a quiet conversation about Malifaux despite it being job to sell Warhammer

FUCKING GAMES WORKSHOP

>go to games workshop
JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP

>wait, games workshop is a store and not just a game developer

FUCKING GAMES WORKSHOP

Standard sales techniques. Who cares if it scares people off as long as you meet your quota?

>Go to GEEDUBYA
>Hi how can I help you my dude?
>Got any round bases my guy?
>Yes what size my buddy?
>32mm son
>Here you go. By the way tournament and painting contests coming up if you wanna join here, heres a copy of the dates
>Thanks my dude
>pay for bases
>leave

If you actually get roped in like that, that is your fucking fault. If you don't have the ability to say, directly, to another adult, "no thank you, I am just browsing and will let you know if I have questions" you are the problem and a rube, not the salesperson who is literally just doing their job. Also since when do retail employees set corporate policy?

I once walked into one of these stores and the guy running the place was beating his kid.

:|

Why didn't you step in and help the guy smack-down on his kid?

What's wrong with you?

>go into a Games Workshop
>No fat neckbeards gangraping a preteen girl chanting "OLD ENOUGH TO BLEED, OLD ENOUGH TO BREED"
>fucking leave

>walk into GeeDubs
>chill looking redshirt with a long braided beard look up at me
>"Hi there, how's your day going?"
>Pretty good, how about you
>"I'm fine, thanks. Is there anything I can help you with?"
>just picking up some paints today
>"Neat, let me know when you're ready"
>Proceed to pick out my paints, ask him what the new 'codex grey' color is called
>have a fun conversation about metal bands, movies, and video games.
>buy my stuff, wish him a good day, and leave
>get home, look in bag
>i forgot to pick up one other paint because I was focused on the conversation with the chill gw employee

FUCKING GAMES WORKSHOP

I remember that spam.

> Games Workshop acknowledging Fantasy.

You lost me there.

>walk into Games Workshop
>greeted by the staff, exchange pleasantries
>sit in the back and goob for the next three hours with other nerds
>make fun of the new Citadel brand tweezers
>shop closes for lunch
>"See you next week!"

Horror stories are for faggots.

>go to local GW
>it closed years ago
>go to flgs
>they stopped selling GW in favor of Warmahordes
>go to other flgs
>only sells paint and starter sets and will order anything you want from GW website, charging store markup
>go to other other flgs
>they closed

The former GW store manager gave everyone in the store his employee discount as a final "fuck you" to head office... Was a pretty cool guy actually.

>New to hobby
>Go to GW
>Hey how are you today, looking for anything in particular
>Say I'm a beginner so I'm not sure
>Shown start collecting boxes
>Pick out orks
>Offered free painting lessons that improve my skills ten fold
>Offered free playing lessons to learn the game.
>Have thoroughly good time painting and playing at my local store while talking to other customers and staff about the hobby and pretty much all other subjects.

Fucking nightmare.

>have never, ever, in my life, gone to a GW store
>only go to FLGS
>all close one-by-one
>have to drive to dangerous neighborhood for the last remaining hobby shop within 25 mins
>they're an awesome place
>play 40k there
>getting late one night
>everyone in the store hears loud popping sounds from outside
>store owners get antsy
>"okay guys, we're just going to lock the door and everyone should remain quiet for a few minutes"
>spend next 15 minutes silent and in the dark

FUCKING GAMES WORKSHOP

Fuck me, the GW shills are out in force today.

>waaaaaaaaa people are not agreeing that gw is shit reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

i like this thread

Been in this hobby for 15 years and I can count on one hand the number of times I've met a genuinely obnoxious, pushy staff member. Most of them get drummed out pretty quickly because they just drive people away instead of creating more sales.

FUCKING GAMESTOP

>Be working at Games Workshop
>Fa/tg/uy walks in
>It's the Fa/tg/uy I have heard about
>It's an old Games Workshop Myth
>He quietly grab his stuff and comes to me
>It's thousand dollars worth of taus holy shit
>Try to stay calm
>"Would you like some additional p-"
>shouldnothavesaidthat.jpg
>Autistic screeching of intensity never before seen on earth

I kno rite? I miss the dank epic memes about le evil GW manager, trying to sell people Wood Elves when they just wanted to buy a Space Marine Rhino, truly epic, epic for the win.

>"OLD ENOUGH TO BLEED, OLD ENOUGH TO BREED" and not "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, TAMPONS FOR THE TAMPONS THRONE"
Missed opportunity for that clearly fake story, but that would require the writer to have a sense of humor.

Cringe

>leave my house
>someone makes eye contact with me
>tip my fedora over my eyes to break eye contact as i run to the store
>run for one block, get tired, walk the rest of the two blocks
>walk into GW store
>"Hi sir welcome to..."
"REEEEEEEEEEEEE!"
>run home
>actually walk home, still tired from when I was running earlier

Games Workshop man, fucking hell.

Hey there whoah. You took it too far. This thread WAS funny til you posted and crossed the line.

This was supposed to be a humor thread? You making fun of me?

Yeah you ruined the fun. Gotta go I'm afraid.

Hey I'm trying be be That Guy, but you out-That Guy'd me.

>GW store employee recommends Nids or Orks to a newcomer
>start throwing a huge autismfit how these armies are fucking shit
>get banned

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

nah there's no "it was merely an act" here kid you've been caught out and you're trying to backtrack.

>How are you today?
>What are you painting?
>Anything else I can get you?

Not a deal breaker, just annoying when you are in a rush that you basically have to blow them off three times to leave you alone.

To troll GW people should ask the store guys why they ended WFB

to make place for the superior and more selling setting that is Age of Sigmar

>more selling setting
Is that GW approved English?

>Go to Games Workshop
>Buy paint
>Drink paint
>Changed formula in their paints, tastes like shit now

The fuck Games Workshop?

I kinda trolled them last week.
>visit local GW
>staff member approaches me and asks what I'm there for
>paint, grey and beige
>"cool! What army is it?"
>"Saxons"
>"oh right you'll need.....Saxons?"
>start talking about Saxon minis
>doesn't know what to say
>trying to talk about GW minis

This, every time I go in there. I don't paint GW minis, but I do buy some of their paints. Still though, the employees there seem to know the more common games and are big into kickstarters

I know its a caricature of a GW shop, but the first time I went, it basically went like that. The guy at the cash was almost mad that I was just there for a necron battleforce and a single lord. Fucking hell. Since 2010, I didnt set foot in a GW shop.

I got talking to one of the staff ages back and we talked about other war games but this guy was just confused. It was like on one hand he wanted to sell me paints but on the other hand his training hadn't prepared him for non-GW models

While we're on the subject of painting, I'm a D&D player that really wants to paint the heroforge mini he bought.

But I'm too much of a bitch and I'm about 99% sure I'll ruin it.

I've been practically frog marched out of GW stores for no reason (prejudice?) then been to the same store later and treated like a king.
GW stores are just schizo.

U fukin bastard kunt

This is honestly why I never got into Warhammer. I remember going into the shop in Oxford Street in London just to browse only to be assailed by the most pushy and overly "friendly" sales guy I've ever encountered.

Do they realise that they're alienating people by doing this? I guess the tactic must work on some.

You can blame cashed up autists. People go in to GW and drop 1-10k on models. Staff probably all hope for one of those sales

Go to games workshop in shanghai. Straight away ask a few questions he replies in concise single word answers to every thing I say. Buy white dwarf and cheekily ask for a free gift as is customary in China. The guy only goes and throws in 4 extra magazines.

>>FUCKING GAMESWORKSHOP, now I need to carry so many

Forgot picture, true story

Sweet. Mostly just commenting because I have those same socks.

>That moment when you realize you need 8 of the Start Collecting Ork boxes for half an army.

you got something free from a GW-store?

I was told to apply paint straight from the pot

Is it bad I almost got a boner from this?

>walk into store
>"Hey how's it going?"
>"Good. How are you?"
>same fucking conversation even with different employees
>every fucking time
>and they never respond back after I return the greeting

I fucking hate that.

>Dude
>Guy
>Buddy

Well of course GW employees are nice in Canada.

why is everyone defending the annoying gw employees? it's awkward and freaks some people out, not all of us are thier to talk with some random people I want my shit and I want to go home

Are you fucking retarded? They're not even defending them, they're insulting you for being this fucking autistic and neckbeardy. Literally EVERY store has employees who will greet you or ask if you have questions. GW isn't the only fucking store in the world where employees approach customers. Walmart fucking HIRES PEOPLE to stand at the door and do this you fucking dipshit.

you call me autistic but you are freaking the fuck out and insulting me.... not everyone likes conversation with people in public get over it we aren't all extroverts

>Go to Games Workshop
>Ask what the best way to get into WH40k is
>Find out about Dark Vengeance
>Figure it's too expensive for on my own, go away and try and recruit a friend
>Come back a couple days later with a mate, who tries it out on the starter DV set up
>Pick up that and the basic paint kit
>Pay
>Leave
>Voluntarily keep buying more and more paint, because of poor impulse control and wanting to make my dudes look better and better

Fucking GW.

some people find talking to random people tiresome and annoying socializing isnt for everyone

GW stores have always been a mistake. A specialty store for one companies toy soldiers is the cringiest thing ever.

>facepalms people when he's the one making everyone else facepalm
>gets upset and cries about someone insulting him on Veeky Forums
>too stupid to find the shift key

Whatever, autist, how about you just get the fuck out so the board can stop its spiraling decline in quality?

It's always the fucking morons who can't even find the shift key who make the stupidest fucking posts.

I've got some cool minis from the Spartacus board game (Surprisingly, it's one of the cheapest and best board games I know of) that I wanna paint up, but I'm worried about the same thing.
At least with the 40k minis I'm expected to model and paint them, instead of messing up something previously fine.

Then get the fuck off this board you faggot. You're socializing and talking to strangers right now. Don't fucking go out into the real world if you're just going to whine about people being there. If it's such a huge problem why the fuck aren't you even buying all your shit online and having it delivered to your door? This fucking game REQUIRES TALKING TO OTHER PEOPLE TO BEGIN WITH

Holy fucking shit just kill yourself goddamn

>somebody SPOKE TO ME
>how can you shills DEFEND THIS
>omg not everyone wants to be SPOKEN TO

They literally make Japanese comics about people this pathetic, and the entire plot revolves around how pathetic they are around others. What, did you want us to applaud you for your crippling social retardation?

you seem angry are you ok user. I only play with friends playing with randoms would be annoying and I do order online

>tumblr
>too dumb to even change the filename

Yup. Board would be so much better off without these fucking retards.

HE LITERALLY RAPED MY EARS WITH HIS MOUTH-WORDS

The retards always think it's funny that people get upset at their retardation. Like, they're so infuriatingly retarded, their very presence enrages people. But I guess that's a plus to them. That's how retarded they are.

>hurf durf durf look at me I'm so fucking retarded
>LOL WHY ARE YOU GUYS SO MAD THO

im not fucking asking for applauds all I said is speak for yourself not everyone is an angry supposed normal fag who may or may not walk into a store and be the charismatic goru

same fag and shit bait

>this entire post
>im not fucking autistic
>getting so angry you devolve into illegible autistic ranting after calling someone angry

Holy fucking shit I can't stop laughing

yes im sure you are one hell of a stud irl arent you

>autistically collecting entire folders of retarded, uninteresting, and unfunny reaction images
>screams about how he's not autistic

Damn son you buy those rare pepes on eBay?

Damn that bitch is ugly, why are pasty ass Aryans so shit at everything?

please go back to pol or have you and your family burned alive you can do it yourself go get a can of gasoline and pour it on your worthless body and burn alive please set a camera up

>tfw no GW
>use store locator
>see local store carries GW
>find out they stopped years ago
>use store locator
>find nearest GW
>90 miles away

>Yeah do you have some (models) in stock?
>Yeah man, did you want any paint or brushes or anything?
>Hey, sure, I'll take a pot of (color)
>Cool. Anything else?
>Nah, that should be it.
>Alright, total comes to (money). Cash or card?
>*chip*
>Come back when they're done and lemme take a look!
>Thanks dude, see you.

who knew Veeky Forums was full of such strong and socially proper people

As someone who has been in retail (albeit, not GW), that sort of interaction is commonplace on both sides of the counter. The customer either has something on their mind/is looking to get in & out, or the staff is busy/mindful of something else.

I'd say it's uncommon to ignore greetings out of spite, and more likely that the retailer's tongue is starting to get a bit lazy after a long shift. I know I wasn't particularly up for a conversation after pulling a double--mind was distracted and I didn't feel like talking anymore.

"Hey, how's it going" is my default greeting. Half the time people respond, usually with "Pretty good, you?" or some flavor. Sometimes they'll tell me about something on their minds.

>People assume I say it as a reflex
>It is, but I'm a depressive and honestly like to know other people are doing ok

I dont understand why its such a big deal to not like talking to people in public? not everyone wants to talk just and being in public is
stressful especially for those with paranoia or social anxiety like myself

why care about what some random joe is doing ?

Because I feel like shit pretty often, and I hope nobody else does.

Holy shit your fucking autistic, kill yourself desu

that sounds really weird to me why?

you are a waste of my time im not going to ruin my night by letting my anger issues take control this is your last you goodbye

They've gotten A LOT better. The first store I went to about 15 years ago when I was 12, the manager was an absolute cunt who tore into to me I mentioned the price for models. I mean he tore fucking shreds out of me, and then mocked the look on my face after he got done. I just stumbled out of there in a state of shock, I had never been talked to like that by an adult.

His name popped up on a social gaming group that was formed after he told a bunch of regulars to "get the fuck out of my shop", and I thought about shooting him a message to see if he wants to try me again now that I'm not a fucking minor. But I decided to let it go.

Oddly enough, he went on to teaching.

>I had never been talked to like that by an adult.
lel do you even have parents?

The quick version is that it gives me hope. I hope other people are doing ok, but if they aren't, sometimes it helps to talk. I know it does for me, so I like to give other people the opportunity. I'm a total stranger to most of them, so I don't expect them to suddenly gush personal problems.

I heard a story once about a guy who jumped off the Golden Gate, he left a note saying he was going to walk to the bridge and if a single person smiled at or greeted him, he wouldn't jump. It really is a dumb little reflex greeting, but every bit helps.

See, that's the thing about retail--it is inevitable that you will establish a "default" for conversation. Basic small talk, such as "hey, how are you doing today?" becomes a reflex.

You get people like OP who absolutely despise that reflex, but you can hardly blame the staffer who's saying it. They've said that same exact thing to nearly everyone else who's come and gone today. Customers often overlook the monotony that retail brings with it, or don't understand it, and so some of them get it in their head that the staffer actually -cares- about where any potential conversation is going.

Sure, part of it is a matter of up-selling, pushing sales, and the like, but for most of the people in retail, it's just a momentary opportunity for something interesting to happen in an otherwise routine day in "paradise".

FYI, it's not. Little interactions like that are completely and totally commonplace. You've created your own anxiety by being a shut-in, or by focusing entirely on your own perceived flaws in your person. The more you get out, the easier it is to have small conversation here and there; likewise, it also becomes easier to ignore someone without feeling guilty--if that's the route you'd like to take in life.

Really though, it's your own fault for not being able to communicate with others--not the person who gets paid to do it.

I don't really understand this righteousness that most people have the world seems like every man for himself (wich is what my dad said to me) but then agian im the freak with the empathy problems

its might fault that I was brought up in a certain way and ended up with paranoia and social anxiety yes this is my fault

and that people are naturally cruel and I know what they are thinking talking shit in their minds