How could a norse themed undead faction look like?

How could a norse themed undead faction look like?

Skeleton vikings

Like that... Or check Skyrim.

They're the good guys.

WoW had some kinda neat concepts with the Ymirjar/Vrykul/Vargul, but i guess that kinda depends on what you're going for exactly and how they fit into your setting

A shit ton of spirit vikings riding down from vallhala to defend there descendants

Like norse themed undead, genius.

The Einherjar. A group of undead soldiers and mercenaries animated by a one-eyed necromancer and his many daughters.

Draugr are generally haunting areas that they perceive to be theirs.
They are also known to hold major grudges.
Have them hold a major grudge to whatever power is currently ruling the land they see as their land.

They are known to have some semblance of intellect, often described as taking pleasure causing pain to the living.
Heroes often return as draugr if they feel that they were robbed of their destiny, so you could make a super ambitious Alexander the great style hero of the past returning to reclaim what he perceived to have been his destined empire.

Draugr. The designs are already there for you.

Valhalla is a place on earth.

The necromancer is also undead and his all-female goon squad might be covertly assassinating people right in the thick of battlefields everywhere.

So a militarized Wild Hunt?

He's also a crazy pervert who divines the future and is preparing for some unmentioned war of massive proportions.

HALLS OF VALHALLA

Honestly, Odin is probably one of my favorite figures in fiction.

And he might be three people or just one guy who likes to play dress-up, or he's actually one person who is many people and several or all of them like to disguise themselves as other people.

I unironically love Norse mythology, even though it seems to have become uncool to do so. I mainly love the fact the fallibility and failure of the Gods is such an important theme in it. Seriously, their doom is mostly their own doing, and they're almost all utterly fucked as a result of their attempts to escape being utterly fucked.

Also it's really hard not to love a king of the gods who is both a psychopomp and a war god (it's such a natural combination, but it's also quite rare) and has several names that refer to insanity.

Valhalla has been overrun by an unknown force, making the spirits of warriors past return to their resting places. Confused, afraid, crazed, those that maintain a semblance of sanity band together to form a legion in order to retake Valhalla. To do so they need the services of a group of mages, who agree to help the fallen in exchange for the might of an army

Where is Krell?

My favourite part of Odin is just how little fucks he gives
>dresses up to insult Thor for shits and giggles
>gets kicked out by other gods for being "too feminine"
>gives no fucks, goes off to explore in the meantime
>gets bored, comes back and kicks ass, claims king title again
And those are just two off the top of my head
Really he's a pretty great figure

(OP)

Beyond the Draugr, there are also Haugbui, which are similar except for the fact that they can not leave their tombs. What is interesting is that these creatures are very often found at sea, either swimming around their watery grave, or sailing around in their wrecked, half-sunken ships, which apparently counts as not leaving their tomb.

So, if you want to play up the naval aspect, how about true undead vikings, sailing around on ghost ships and raiding other vessels and shoreside villages, with the only weakness that they have to stay within x distance of their ship (i.e. their tomb)?

lik dis

>there once was a northling king ruling these lands
>their kingdom was ruined due to reasons
>hundreds of years later another kingdom has taken its place, or it's the same kingdom but just altered because time
>a necromancer decides to resurrect the ancient king and he decides to take his kingdom back

>Frank. Frank you see that asshole? No, third from the left. That's the guy!

Terrifying.

Being undead and thus tireless, they can row their drakkars day and night as much as they wish, catching any ship and being so fast that one boat appears to be a whole flotilla of raiders set on a region.

As draugar, their real form is a spirit capable of possessing and remaking a corpse into a clawed revenant of pale flesh and dark blue bones. Fail to completely destroy or burn one, it will return from the sea as a bloated drowned man or burst of a cemitery's ground. Vikings burn their chieftains to prevent such desecrations. Local christian are starting to bury their dead bound by ropes to prevent it.

No matter the host body, it carries the smell of decay which makes even swine breeders to retch. Some become mad by the foulness of it, entering a rage which attacks friend and foe.

Draugar leaders distinguish themselves by beign covered in moss. They also increase their weight and swell themselves ten-fold. The result is like a boulder-sized tick bloated with pitch, ramming or even crushing any barricade or palisade and its defenders. Their fake immortality also allows them to master magic, such as shape-shifting, prophecy, curse and stone-swimming.

Their continued presence affects wildlife, increasing the bloodthirstiness of wolves and making even deers as agressive as a lass' father towards young lads. Cattle howl until dying of hunger, thirst or lack of air. No one hunts bears near the barrow mounds and swamps from which draugar emerge.

bump

Nice

Spirits from Valhalla, hordes of zombies from Hel.

ummm i guess u have'nt seen Game of Thrones or played Skyrim huh?? xD

I would love to see a norse necromancer who binds the ghosts of great warriors to the material world out of sheer spite.

The ghosts would terrorize villages and attack travellers in the hopes of finding someone strong enough to free them from their bonds so they can finally be in valhalla with their ancestors. This, of course, suits the necromancer's plans nicely as it gives him more ghosts to bind.

>fiction

Einherjars and aptrgangrs

"Yaahahahahahaha"

and he constantly crossdress and goes away giving blowjobs to recent-dead people