10 Years Later

The BBEG in your campaign won (because you and your party are inept) How does life change for the common man? Can I raise my daughter in the new regime?

>Big Bad Evil Guy

What a dumb phrase.

I apologize, I'm an old user, it's customary to include trigger warnings these days isn't it

>The BBEG in your campaign won (because you and your party are inept) How does life change for the common man? Can I raise my daughter in the new regime?

Well...
>BBEG wins
The land is conquered by hobgoblins
>The party wins
The land is conquered and settled by orcs from another continent.
Honestly, I dont know which would be worse for the native folks.

>BBEG
A local variant of Not!Aku - an eldricth creature made out of pure malice and evil.
>If he wins
Not surprisingly, it will be a miserable time for a common man. But it will give them magic and high technology, so it's not THAT bad. You can raise a daughter, just watch your back, or she will become a thrall for an eternal rave party or something.

>Bug Bear Eat Gems
Fuck you dm and your homebrew monster! But there no antagonist in my campaign. I am just exploring an old mine to later set it up for mining. Trying to make honest living here and opening job for the people and you toss those swarming owlbear stats creature at us and then there the fucking queen. The mine was closed due to war not to an infestation.
>If they win
Economy goes down. We goes to war. You die and we become war hero.

The BBEG is a corrupter of darkness and shadow and ambulatory shoggoths. He dislikes the world being loud and bright and unafraid.

Life continues, but there is no song, no noise. People huddle in walled, lamp-lit villages and whisper remembrances of the sun to each other. Being too bright, too loud, too happy, may draw the attention of his pets.

>Can I raise my daughter in the new regime?
There's no regime, there is anarchy and edlritch horrors. Your daughter is fucked, literally and figuratively.

This sounds awful. Having to raise children without music in foggy little shit-stain londons is not my idea of a good parenting, nor is having my kids be cthulu chow. Win your fucking campaigns

Aye aye.
Plus I can't retire with mai waifus and husbandos if I die.

>Be parent in not!europe
>I run an inn and spend all my downtime playing VR poker and raising my child
>One day she brings home a CD
>kidsdontlikegoodmusicanymore.jpg
>The music changes her into a rave berserker, like my ancestors but skinny
>Break down and sob all day in my inn because fucking trance music corrupted my daughter
>A yellow man in a white bathrob tries to rent a room from me
>Can't, too busy crying
>Upon hearing my problem, he offers to help
>Goes and kills the DJ, frees all the kids
>Have my child back, thank yellow bathrobe man and have a music burning celebration with rest of village
>Fuck Trance

You might be better off just saying "villain" instead of trying to be cute.

Uh, excuse me, that phrase you used is horribly gendered and sizeist and unfairly labels those individuals with rightist good-evil spectrum orientations as inherently inferior to those with privileged left-orientations. I suggest you apologize for your ignorance and educate yourself on non-binary alignment community pronouns.

But probably not.

>2017
>BBEG
80s called. They want to know why the fuck you are still playing shit-tier games

Because we aren't nu-tg like you.

People have been complaining about "Big Bad Evil Guy" for years. The early complaints seemed to be mostly about the concept itself, with many people disagreeing that a plot needed a character as a central antagonist.

Now, it seems that some of the complaints are about the language. "Big Bad Evil Guy" was coined to sound corny, and is more of an in-joke than a designation like "Central Antagonist." It's also grown to be somewhat vague, with some people using it as the central antagonist, others using it as the final antagonist, and still others using it as simply any antagonist, which can get confusing when trying to communicate about one of these specific ideas.

As far as the shitstorm, I think that comes in part because it takes very little effort to say "BBEG sounds dumb", which is enough to trigger some people who use that phrase. These people then go to say things like "you need to respect this acronym, it's Veeky Forums's acronym, every true fa/tg/uy uses BBEG exclusively," and that gets even people who had no real interest in the matter upset, because it starts to sound like there's people who are actually actively trying to push BBEG.

BBEG is a meme, and like most memes it doesn't have much of a shelf life. The old joke has faded, and now it seems like people are just finding it weird for people to be so fervent in holding onto it.

Nobody cares, m8.

Overthinking: The Post.

I prefer the term "Big Egg Breakfast" because I'm hungry.

I had multiple BBEG. A child elven sorceress who was carried on the back of a rather strong frost giant clan leader, and some mindhive fish queen that inhabited a bioshock like dwarven ruins. The frost giants would win and beat em, but not by much. They only really raided an australia size continent though so its all good.

See, the impression I have is that it's an unremarkable and insignificant word in common parlance with an easily defined and understood meaning. Like a protractor, or a L-ruler, it serves a useful, unremarkable purpose and has grown widespread simply because of its utility.

Then some dong decided he didn't like it a month or two ago (maybe longer, time blurs and all that) and decided to start posting comments like or ">bbeg
Ugh" everytime he saw it mentioned- possibly after starting threads, just for the sake of presenting some kind of false impression of its unpopularity.

But feel free to stop using it if you want.

That impression you get is because you're a fag and you get really upset when people make fun of you sounding like a fag when you use a phrase as gay as "big bad evil guy".
Try saying it out loud to get a sense of how queer you sound. Oops, I forgot that you are super queer and probably think it's actually cool. I mean, listen to you prattle about how great the phrase is, you fag.

gottem

It probably seems to be easily understood to you because you don't really care if people don't understand you or are in need of clarification.

It's really not that useful, and it's such an awkward phrase that there's no surprise that it has gone through a fair amount of decay, with different people assuming it to means different things (and even standing for different things) and there being no singular official definition.

It's one thing to use the phrase. It's another thing to rise to bait and to perform mental gymnastics to defend a purposelessly long acronym. It sounds silly because it was coined to sound silly. If you don't want to sound silly, don't try to reimagine BBEG as something better than it actually is, because that just makes you sound sillier.

Wow, it sure seems to make you mad.

Definitely a feature.

Tzeentch is praised by an endless line of mutants and daemons and mutant daemons on the Warp-wracked ruin of an Imperial hive world. The BBEG wouldn't know, because in reward for his efforts Tzeentch turned him into a Chaos Spawn.

What irks me isn't you using it, but trying to defend its use in such a bizarre method. I understand that you really don't want to admit that yes, Big Bad Evil Guy does sound stupid, but you're much better off ignoring people saying you sound stupid rather than somehow hoping to pretend a phrase designed to sound stupid doesn't.

It's largely that sort of thing that has escalated this into an issue. You do far more harm than good by acting like BBEG is more than a relic in-joke, and it's your awkward attempts at defending the phrase that seem to have given rise to more and more people paying attention to the phrase and to find it to be rather lacking, especially when different people present different and often contradictory definitions and being shocked to discover that other people don't agree with their personal definitions.

Campaign 1:

It doesn't change at all.

Yes but you'd be fucking miserable.

Campaign 2:

Depends on species. If you survive long enough to have her, she won't realize that anything is wrong outside of periodic psychotic breaks and moments of clarity amidst the mind-control enforced contentment that is her life.

Your autism is showing, user. Might want to do something about that before you get ticketed for public indecency.

Are you and your daughter orcs, goblins or somehow related to dragons? If not, then no.

The Villain is a dragon that has had enough of the expanding human empire and it's allies hunting dragons, and has started uniting orcs and goblins into a dragon worshipping religion, with his half-dragon quarter-orc as it's messiah.
So far, one smaller country to the east has been destroyed (partially because they were at war with the empire when the orcs rolled in) and the elves in the southeastern forsets have been waging a small, secret war with the local tribes for years, and are just now realising who has been backing the bastards they were fighting and how utterly fucked they are.

If the dragon wins, the empire gets toppled, it's defenders murdered and the orcs will be allowed to run rampant through the citizens, while the dragon will take pleasure in seeing every human he can get his claws on dead or enslaved, and ultimately rendered extinct. So your daughter would end up as either a corpse or a half-orc baby factory.

>Time ends
>The only thing close to a world is a vacuum of still time with the depressed Time god all alone in it

Is your daughter the half-dragon god of time? Then no, she won't exist, just like everything else.

>BBEG is now considered sacrilege

I remember when this board wasn't just crossposting redditors.

There are multiple entities trying to take control.

>Bearded vulture that can talk
Is busy making an army of mandrills and mobile plants. He can also spew lightning mixed with stomach acid. Since bearded vulture vomit has a pH of 1, it's pretty nasty. DM hasn't stated if he has class levels but it's apparent he wants to take over at least the continent. Think it might become a continental charnel house. You daughter would probably become din-dins.

>Dog-riding warlord
He's a greasy lump of copper topped by a black high-and-tight. His armor consists of a magical diadem, quilted shorts and sabots. He - like the rest of his people - ride a peculiar breed of dog into battle, using thonged darts and club-swords in their raids. If he had his way, everyone would be paying his ethnic group tribute for all eternity. Your daughter would end up beaten and raped every day. But in the end the warlord's empire would probably collapse from infighting as soon as it formed.

>Aerial amazon
Puffed up with pride, bloated with sheer ego, she's got a rectangular face and the temper of a rabid bull. She's so large gravity is her bitch and she's got a knack for hurling boulders at anything she doesn't like. despite her temper she's incredibly disciplined and her amazon army has managed to take over one country. Her domination would make things orderly but the depredations of her army would cause uprisings here and there. Your daughter could become an amazon if she wasn't flattened first.

>relic in-joke

>People not realizing that this is pasta.

We have a case of thread-wide overthinking in this case

Right? Until people started throwing shitfits over BBEG I didn't use it. Now it's common parlance for me.

IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT USE IT.

There are still oldbeards who remember the long days of yore, before Reddit was even a fucking website.

>BBEG
No central villain. Just a number of other treasure hunters that all want the same thing.
>One of the other groups wins
Well, unless you're someone they had to kill to get the treasure, which you probably aren't, you're fine and so is your daughteru.

Only newfags think that BBEG was ever used by anyone except the dumbest faggots, a tradition that holds true today.

>Party loses
The rising local empire is transformed into a dirty plutocratic oppressive oligarchy were the common man is shunned and seen as merely a decade-lasting mean to earn riches.
If you are from a noble house, prepare to get heavily taxed and give your daughter a vengeance filled parenting.
If you are from the army that helped the slimy bureaucrats get the power, you gonna be ok and your daughter gonna be raised up with quite some money.
If you are a common man you shouldn't even be posting here and instead be working the field.

>Party wins
They won't, I'm gonna railroad because I want to have an arc in which they fight against the oppressors to bring back the benevolent albeit militaristic order.

What the hell is campaign 2

Sure, buddy. Sure.

I love 3 way battles between evil factions
>that pic
Ayo wtf

Forever GM here. The council of bureaucrats and impotent old emperor are replaced by a folk hero with decades of military experience who also has the personal command of a growing army of loyal dragons. The empire expands and the spoils of war are distributed downward. For the citizens, things are pretty okay.

The rest of the world, though, is fucked. Nobody has an army that can repel ALL OF THE DRAGONS. ALL OF THEM.

It depends on your views of monarchy/fascism. The villain is a mad russian count who hates the red russians and has an army of mounted mongolians. Your daughter is likely russian or eastern european, so if it's not the secret police that murder her it'll be the weather

>mad russian count who hates the red russians and has an army of mounted mongolians
Why is Sternberg the villain of your campaign? He was the only good guy of the early 20th century.

Funny enough, it depends on who exactly we're talking about as more than one fits the bill.

In case of BBEG 1: The common man doesn't really notice the change, with the reality rewriting. A hundred-years long odd age where all evil, no matter how big or small it is, will be completely taken care of. Violently. Eventually a long age of prosperity will come out of it, but it came at the cost of billions of lives, genocide, and deleting a whole timeline sending into oblivion everyone residing in it. History gets highly changed. You can easily raise your daughter in his regime, if you are sure she won't ever even barely do something evil.

In Case of BBEG 2: Planar chaos happens. No reality rewriting, history goes as usual. He won't command anything, and will retire on a fancy location, possibly filled with hot girls. Plenty of chaos will be there for the years to come, but that aside, as long you don't mind to live in a world filled with all sort of places, races, forbidden knowledges, and so on, life goes on as usual. You can raise your daughter if you don't mind that your neighborhood now consists of a minotaur family, a bunch of sentient blob people, elementals running a few shops, fairies loitering around, as penguin people with personal mechas patrol the zone and run the local mechanical workshops.

I don't know.
The world would have been destroyed, and there's no knowing what would come next.

This copypasta again?

Well, a lot of the population was "purged" (probably polymorphed and amnesiac or something that isn't outright dead), but those she found respectable are doing very well.

Those she didn't like, but didn't bother getting rid of? They're few, but they're making do. Confined to living on the outskirts of civilization and feeding on scraps, and maybe forced to dabble in dark magics involving undeath, but making do.

For all they know, she wanted them to do that, sensing that her actions gave them the impetus they needed to grow strong and survive. Nobody really knows.

>Sternberg
>Hero

No, there were few heroes in the 20th century. The 1980's winter Olympics american hockey team comes to mind. As does Erwin "I'm just here to have fun" Rommel. But Baron Robert Nicolaus Maximilian von Ungern-Sternberg was definitely a villian.

The BBEG would successfully accend to pseudo godhood, luckily he would become the problem of the lords of the abyss, and whoever it was he turned his attention on.

k

Watch out for the rape gangs Tasha!

Wizards attempted to create Utopia enforced by subtle magic that will slowly replicate itself through governments adjoining their bubbled test realm.

They failed. Badly.

The bubble is falling apart.

The failed Utopia-spell fractured, lashing people's minds to it. Many of the pieces can only effect some species (Noticeably humans) and are, as such, virulently hostile towards species they can't enslave.

They're all still infectious.

2013 was already after reddit invaded Veeky Forums.

>BBEG
Some Heretek that is currently trying to get his hands on some xeno artifact that he could replicate to allow chaos ships to bypass Cadia
>BBEG wins
Chaos wins and the Imperium is fucked

Stop trying to force this meme, you faggoty little piece of shit.

Every time someone uses BBEG you post this shit. The term has been in tabletop gaming longer than you have.

All life is dead and all souls are forever trapped in an entropic sleep where they will slowly dissolve into nothing but neverending mental chaos of screaming dreaming minds that cannot die.

>The BBEG in your campaign won (because you and your party are inept)
It's actually heading this way, unfortunately.

>How does life change for the common man?
Everyone is skeletons. If you manage to avoid being killed by the endless skeleton hordes long enough, you'll get to witness the afterlife being merged with the material world and end all life forever.

You can't have daughters when you're a skeleton.

Stop giving the autist attention. It's what he wants.

Only if you play D&D

Truth dies. All the world becomes a wasteland riddled with paranoid, emaciated humans and psychotic lich-nobility whose existence is an engine to feed the BBEG's power. What gods remain have fled the world or cower in fear, hoping that submission to the new regime will allow their continued survival.

The sun is dead. The corpse of the moon hangs overhead, illuminated by the pall of a grand, technicolor castle where the heart of darkness beats.

>FATE supers
current BBEG is pretty much going to win. we've more or less bailed on germany because everything's going weird
country'll probably become a nest of megacorporations after the government exterminates supers/mutants oy vey and then it'll be immoral experiments from there on out.
as for the rest of the world, maybe there'll be ww3
rip

>old SWd20
our ultimate goal was to stop the BBEG's weird sith cult from getting ahold of an artifact on hoth (???) that'd let them find any force user or force sensitive in the galaxy, so they could help the empire squash any remaining jedi and anybody who could possibly oppose them

considering this was set between the two trilogies, it would've meant for a very short episode 4 if they'd won.

Waaah waaaah waaaah I want my mommy

Well, I'm GMing a SWN sandbox, so no BBEG right now. But the Eugenics Cult the party will be fighting wants to take over the tech level 5 world they reside on, using gengineered concubines to influence the government.

After they seize power, they would likely start by using the considerable resources of the world to begin massive genetic screening and alteration programs to change the population into subservient slaves and enhanced slave-soldiers, and use the power of the Navy to being subjugating other worlds.

So it would be a shitty place to live and/or raise a daughter.

>t. player who refuses to play a human male fighter.

I don't know wants to overthrow the old monarchy, replace the system with one based on merit instead of caste, enforce compulsory service of men and women in war campaigns so there will always be a standing armies and reserves prepared to fight invaders, he's rallied the orcs to the cause by promising permanent land for them to settle.

Problem is, he's more a soldier and less a statesman. And he's sacrificed his wife and firstborn in s blood ritual to a demon for tactical wisdom on the battlefield.

He has 3 years ton win the war before he dies, his lieutenants will all likely feud and plunge the empire into a civil war of petty warlords and city states, who would go back on their deal with the orcs and other people that they allied with to make his rebellion possible, divide the empire, and makes them vulnerable to an Eldrich horror that plans to release all of the primordial horrors from days past back into the world. Unless he finds a way to cheat the demon.

The party refuses to help him, they're hardline empire loyalists. Except for one and he's a foreigner of common birth with few political connections. He will likely defect because he realizes how shit the monarchy is in his own lands.

Earth, all alternate earths, and earth at every moment in time, has been combined into a single point and consumed by an extradimensional entity for energy and self improvement.

Earth has never existed, and soon (on a cosmic timescale) reality becomes undone.

Not that much, really. I think the only notable change is that warring tribes are actually united under strong tyrannical rule and they essentially lose their freedom to wage war on one another whenever. Now that I think about it BBEG winning in our story would be a better scenario overall because there's no one else except dozens upon dozens of tribes on the entire continent and they'll never amount to anything if left to their own devices. It's only framed as a negative and BBEG is a BBEG because our party comes from the tribes so they want to preserve their culture and way of life, as shitty as it may be.

Sure.

this actually sounds pretty cool. Your big bad sounds like Stannis Baratheon mixed with Sauron

>BBEG
American Civil War veteran, defector to Liberia, and revolutionary/mercenary locally known as "Kwi Bossman" (real name unknown). Yes, he's a late 19th~early 20th-century Big Boss. No nukes or stupid backstory though.

If you're in West Africa, you're gonna have a bad time. Liberia becomes a militant mercenary state in 1905 and attempts to expand into West Africa, as well as support revolutionary movements throughout the world. In short, the African 1960s~1990s happen a century early.

Only if you don't mind her being "adopted" into the army as a camp cook or medic something. Kwi Bossman does have a sense of decency, but he's not one to waste talent.

>The BBEG in your campaign won (because you and your party are inept) How does life change for the common man?

Not a whole lot, unless he was caught up in the purges. There is significantly less chance of being conscripted, but there are also a bunch of genetically engineered races roaming around, which occasionally chimp out and kill (and eat) people. The chaos/destruction god has many more worshipers; it is unclear if this will have long term effects.

Probably.

I appreciated this post

>This entire fucking thread

What?

Hope you like being a sun demon cultist in a shattered, post-apocalyptic world. You'll probably be conscripted to fight rival demons or used as a sacrifice/experiment, as would your daughter. If you're lucky, you might become a thrall to one of the demons and get some powers. If you're unlucky, you'll get your soul reaped because some random fell knight was low on faith and happened by.

If I work my ass off to become a thrall what are my childcare options? Can I send her to an all girls cultists boarding school?

Is this Down: To Fuck?

Well, that depends. Are you native american? Does your daughter have any magical ability?

It really depends on who you're thralled to - some demons get off on having lineages of thralls, others don't give a fuck and would probably just separate you. The *really* edgy ones might have you ritually kill her so you don't have anything tying you down or connecting you to the rest of the world.

There'd definitely be magical academies for people with magical skill, but most of them would end up being hosts for demons.

Ye, but the main game is a different splat.

Sage for doublepost.

The entire population of the continent was killed by a whiny man-child warlord who is upset his brother was killed by the PC.

Only slightly worse than the default.

>BBEG

Ugh.

Shut up, it's our culture

People have been complaining about "Big Bad Evil Guy" for years. The early complaints seemed to be mostly about the concept itself, with many people disagreeing that a plot needed a character as a central antagonist.

Now, it seems that some of the complaints are about the language. "Big Bad Evil Guy" was coined to sound corny, and is more of an in-joke than a designation like "Central Antagonist." It's also grown to be somewhat vague, with some people using it as the central antagonist, others using it as the final antagonist, and still others using it as simply any antagonist, which can get confusing when trying to communicate about one of these specific ideas.

As far as the shitstorm, I think that comes in part because it takes very little effort to say "BBEG sounds dumb", which is enough to trigger some people who use that phrase. These people then go to say things like "you need to respect this acronym, it's Veeky Forums's acronym, every true fa/tg/uy uses BBEG exclusively," and that gets even people who had no real interest in the matter upset, because it starts to sound like there's people who are actually actively trying to push BBEG.

BBEG is a meme, and like most memes it doesn't have much of a shelf life. The old joke has faded, and now it seems like people are just finding it weird for people to be so fervent in holding onto it.

how is this thread bait? What exactly are you implying?

I'm currently playing an evil campaign so....

Scenario 1 (Party fails, BBEG wins):

The remnants of the Second Legion were finally destroyed during the Undying's brutal wars of conquest. And yet, the dreaded cabal of wizards managed to subjugate the forces of the Jeweled Cities. The chaotic mobs of conscripts, murderers, thieves and rapists of the Anthem succeeding where the Legion failed. Now all the Known World trembles beneath the Black and Crimson of the Endless Empire

Scenario 2 (Party fails, BBEG fails)

The remnants of the Second Legion were finally destroyed during the Undying's brutal wars of conquest. Soon followed by the mobs of the Anthem. The Old Continent withstood the fury of the Undying, destroying his armies and sending the survivors back across the Mourning Sea

So yeah, in general not a good place to raise your daughter. Though not that much worse than what the average peasant already has to put up with

BBEG1: The church asserts itself as the defacto nation state of the continent. The life of the commoner will change subtly. Who they pay their taxes/tithes to change, the every day struggles however remain the same. Except now they have to deal with the strict nature of church doctrine. The people who have it worst in this setting are untrained spellcasters, specifically sorceresses. You could raise your daughter fine in this outcome, provided she doesnt magic.

BBEG2: The lands have been overtaken by demonic hordes and terrors. It would really suck to live here for about 10 years until said bbeg finishes their original goal. After that the lands will be mostly barren and desolate until things pick back up.

BBEG3:

Last month or so there was an autist who went into every thread that had "BBEG" in the OP to try and start up shit, now he has copycats keeping his legacy alive.

I get you put a lot of effort in that wall of text, but that's it

>i've been here only about a month

This is why newfags shouldn't chime in.

So you admit it's just you posting your autism in every thread? Glad we have confirmation about that now.

The message I'm getting is that you haven't been here even for a month and are pretending this is some kind of long-running conflict in Veeky Forums culture that has always been a mainstay of the board so you can look older

There were discussions about the term before, sure. Every single thread that mentioned "BBEG" being derailed by the same dude who always devolved into mocking the people who disagreed with him with babytalk was new

>The BBEG in your campaign won
All life is exctinct, all the gods are dead, the planes are reduced to dry broken husks. All that remains is the once more sleeping astral embodiment of evil that caused this.

Generally not that much until the men in hoods arrive to sacrifice your home and vast swathes of countryside to the remnants of the god of Nothing to try to keep the overflowing of life from turning everything into a mad ever growing sludge. Alas, this is only a delay, as with the god of Nothing dead and not revived, there is nothing keeping the balance.

Sure, and she will be strong and healthy. Too healthy, maturing too fast until eventually she begins to fall apart along with everyone else.

>BBEG Wins
The world's shaken up quiet a bit, but will probably be stable within ten years. The pantheon might have a few more demon-gods who saw an opening in all the chaos, but that wasn't the intent at all. Zombies might eat a few small countries, but again, not the intent.

Your daughter might get killed in a war when the nations realize exactly how many of the world's magical resources the BBEG ate. If she doesn't, you're probably fine.