MTG Modern General

I just have to ask. Is Brian David Marshall Retarded? It is national autism awareness month, so I think we can discuss this. I remember the first time this crossed my mind, it was at the Magic World championships, He asked Reid Duke if he ever considered running 2 Daybreak Coronets instead of 4 in Bogles. I'm not entirely sure, but from that moment on, I just could never take that fat ugly retard seriously.

Playing and hating, and brewing.

Anyone who wants cards to get banned right now is a huge fucking pussy. There is no one deck out there right now that is overly dominating, you're just a whiny fag and you need to git gud.

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/594508#paper
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-death-taxes-32966#paper
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-eldrazi-taxes#paper
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for Maze's End.

>if you play eldrazi tron you're a faggot
>Huey is literally gay
kek

Happy to see 2 copies of Knightfall in the top 4 even if it is Team Unified.

G R I S H O A L B R A N D

>guildgate
>guildgate
>guildgate
>guildgate guildgate
>guildgate
>Maze's End, GG?

>even if it is Team Unified

that is literally the only reason

>"you can play whatever you want as long as you don't use any cards that our JDS player is using"
>"... i guess i'll play some shitty bant deck"

mtggoldfish.com/deck/594508#paper

How is this?

modern? people still play this trash? all you fucking idiots do is raise the prices for cards used in better formats

eat shit you garbage format retards
frontier is and has always been best format

>Eli is known for playing knightfall
>"i guess i'll play some shitty bant deck"
I think the reason it's doing well is because of the meta of the tournament rather than being forced to play it because of the shared cardpool.

You started out well but that last sentence just fucked it all up

I really have to respect Eli for sticking with Knightfall. Dude's been playing that deck for as long as it's been a thing

I think Knightfall kinda sucks, though

>vintage is and has always been best format
FTFY

>Le mentor the format

>EDH/Commander Is and always has been best format
FTFY

>le politics the format
>le who can combo the format
>le playgroup the format

Pauper is and always will be the best format

ACTUAL FACTS
>Ubermensch tier (IE played by non-mongoloid subhumans)
Pauper, Vintage, Legacy
>Subhuman tier (IE Played by subhumans who should be exterminated post haste)
Every. Thing. Else.

These are NOT opinions, there are FACTS.

>le ban peregrine drake the format

>Extended is and has always been the best format
FTFY

Pretty bad tbqh

Knight of the reliquary and voice matches up okay with Eldrazi, not sure about DSJ though

>Pauper
>the format played only online by literal poorfags
>vintage
>the format played almost completely online by nostalgiafags trying to recapture magics "glory days"
>Legacy
>the format that no one can get in to because MUH Reserved List $4000 decks

Nice facts there, bucko.

Just leave

The only people who play legacy are the people who already had duals
I have had an underground Sean on eBay buy it now or best offer and it hasn't even had an offer in a month

I play Bant Knightfall and the DSJ matchups isn't terrible. It can go either way in my experience and players other than myself seem to think it's about 50-50.

I've got over a dozen pauper decks in paper

>underground Sean
I think I know him. Fancies himself a DJ right?

>card sleeves cost more than the decks
Interesting

one of the great contradictions in our lives

Tier 1 pauper is 30-40 in paper, 100 when you want to play tron. Online is sometimes cheaper but not always cause MTGO supply is fucking weird. Chittering rats is like 3 bucks online

idea for a blue card that would save modern: 3 mana, force an opponent to use the active ability of a card, you select the target

What do you want to do? Make Karn exile himself?

Print Cancel that costs 1 less if you're playing Modern.

idea for a blue card that would save modern: 2 blue mana counter target spell

fuck you

Idea for a blue card to save modern

Blue moon
2U
All non basic lands are islands

yeah i think is pretty good idea

>UU
>counter target spell with CMC 4 or less

there, modern is saved

BAN FETCHES
A
N

F
E
T
C
H
E
S

>frontier
>format

pick one and only one standardbabby

>Tron still rapes it
Intereameminsting

1 mana
Scry 2
Draw a card

>4 Death's Shadow decks top 8 another GP
Making me think here.

What would happen if Wizards just got rid of the Modern banlist?

Fun.

Hope you like infect and affinity

2UU

Planeswalker

+2: Look at the top card of target player's library. You may put that card on the bottom of that player's library.
0: Draw three cards, then put two cards from your hand on top of your library in any order.
−1: Return target creature to its owner's hand.
−12: Exile all cards from target player's library, then that player shuffles his or her hand into his or her library.

Bluefags please leave. Go play your cancerous color in other formats, you will never be relevant in modern again.

It would be nothing but UR Storm

This isn't the top 8, they cut straight to a top 4. There's 4 in the top 4.

5 minutes on paint later

you run that thing and disdainful stroke

or if you want something different
>UB
counter target spell unless it's controller pays X life, where X is that spell's CMC

or how about
>UU
>counter target spell with CMC greater than the number of lands target player controls

can counter pretty much anything that cheats on mana, or just target yourself and counter a 3 mana spell on turn 2, 4 mana spell on turn 3, etc.

Still butthurt about no Blue invocations I see, eh Timmy?
Not that you were going to be able to get them anyways, since being bad at magic means you're probably never opening any prize packs.

Make it cost U and say "that spells controller" instead of target player and I'm on board.

>Not that you were going to be able to get them anyways, since being bad at magic means you're probably never opening any prize packs.
>Getting prize packs instead of store credit
How does it feel to play at such a shit LGS?

>Le top deck 100% shitty rng swing overpowered creatures the format
So fucking gay desu.

>People enjoy topdeck wars
OMG this game is like so crazy and fun omg like he drew a creature and that guy drew a land SO HE WON. Omg like what a crazy and fun game omg.

Yep. Midrange was a mistake

Literally no synergy or interesting cards, just fucking goodstuff.dec

Is there such thing as a modern version of death and taxes? Can it even compete, or should I just stay with my legacy hombres?

There's various hatebears decks that are similar and on top of that you have Eldrazi and Taxes and regular D&T. The decks aren't great but they're playable and assuming you're experienced with D&T you should be able to win a decent amount with them

Yes, there's modern DnT

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-death-taxes-32966#paper

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-eldrazi-taxes#paper

No, it's not super good, but it's okay. Playable at least.

Can someone give me a quick rundown on how to approach starting to play MTG?
Or a helpful link my dumbass could follow to figure it out?
Money isn't and issue because I know it can be a costly hobby.

Play Standard and EDH for a while before venturing into other formats.

Learn the rules. If I'd suggest buying a duel deck (they come with two decks) and learning how to play with a seasoned friend who isnt a total sperg.

Then draft at your local game store. Most people should be decent human beings and will help you learn more of the nuances of the game. You'll also get good at card evaluation and deck building.

Then go from there. There are a a bunch of articles to help you out, you just need to look.

This is the Blue Moon deck I bought to the GP trial in my town.

I did terribly, but I think it was sideboard errors and there were definitely a couple of sequencing errors of mine that meant I lost.
Any recommendations are welcome.
I'm thinking -1 Island -1 Steam Vents +1 Mountain +1 Serum Visions. I need to upgrade to Scalding Tarns but I'm stupid, poor and lazy, so I guess I should get them while they are cheap.

The Duel Decks are pretty good casual fun, and if you like that you should continue. Consider getting a Commander precon, because every damn person plays commander and many of them are pretty good to improve slowly.

If you want to jump straight into competitive, then draft. It is a bit deep end so will rapidly make you a better player, it also means that you play a fair bit of most sets so you have experience of what cards mean or do in different environments. It will build your card collection, or occasionally give you cards that are worth real money which you can trade for store credit or cards which you want.

If you just want to be a casual fuck just buy a shitload of unsorted commons on ebay or fatpacks or whatever.

Thanks guys.

download magic duels. its really good at showing you how the game works (the stack and priority, specifically). learn how to draft and go to prerelease and draft events at your lgs. watch coverage on standard and modern tournaments to have an idea on what kind of deck you want to play before buying one. hope this helps.

Death's shadow decks are so dumb.
They don't even NEED to run another color besides BG but might as well since you want to shock yourself as much as possible.

That's why I'm playing rw prison now.
>chalice
>moon
>leyline
>rip
>wrath

Pretty great matchup. Not the best deck but whatever

tarfire and kcommand are great in that deck

I want Marshall Sutcliffe to die in a fire; that unfunny, obnoxious cunt always has to pretend that there's nothing mroe exciting than watching the players flip coins to see who wins.

How do you guys feel about Patrick " I totally didn't kill that guy" Chapin's announcing today?

>I totally didn't kill that guy
What

Chapin was charged with fairly large scale ecstacy dealing, and some guy involved in the investigation died in somewhat mysterious circumstances.

Totally nothing to do with Chapin.

>What's some sick Team Unified combos?

As Enchantress I think I slot into almost any teamcomp. I'd be stoked to have this become a regular thing.

>hating good cards
>needing synergy to win
>"dang if I'd just drawn my sixth combo piece my synergistic deck would have totally won!"

Trash.

People seem to really misunderstand counterspells. The sole point of playing counterspell is literally to get at least 1-to-1 trade for lower cmc than what opponent is investing. So when you say 4cmc or less, you are already nulllifying the whole point playing it and therefore mana leak would be better. Other advantage of counter is that it can neglect "enter the battlefield" type effects that removals can't deal with. Of course removal is more versatile on when to play them as you don't have to keep mana open.

What are some fun collected company decks for modern? Mainly care about fun factor over power level

Coco Elves is pretty fun, and does win off a resolved coco.
Is coco myr with myr superion a stupid idea?

yes

Bant spirits and Knightfall are both fun.

>The sole point of playing counterspell is literally to get at least 1-to-1 trade for lower cmc than what opponent is investing
Sure if you ignore the whole part about playing your deck at instant speed lets you have the final word in regards to what happens in the game.

>A-Affinity sucks now!
Veeky Forums BTFO

Those sure were some bullshit draws on Prost's part, I wish I got some too when I played Affinity vs Stony.

Well affinity just beat DS, are people finally going to realize that opal needs to be banned?

lel

>I have stony silence on the sideboard, i can totally deal with artifacts!

Why not just have the players roll the dice, and then whoever wins the dice roll gets the win? Also you get an auto loss if you bring something that isn't aggro

>"b-b-ban master of etherium!"

t. reid fluke

Hurkyl's Recall is the best card tbqh

Why are people hating on reid duke?

Because it's the Internet.

>Ubermensch tier
>Formsts with blue as dominating colour
>Subhuman tier (IE Played by subhumans who should be exterminated post haste)
>Blue isn't the best colour

Nice facts. Do you have autism? Because you sound like a draw-go player or a buttblasted control player who is sore that his strategy isn't crubstomping other playstyles.

Grishoalbrand or Expertise?

>Reid Fluke
He's consistently good, and he doesn't punt, he's a legitimately good player, what's up your bum?

>shitty meme deck or even shittier meme deck
Play ad nauseum or storm

Elves sounds pretty good, any other fun CoCo tribes? Bant Spirits is really fun but Hierarch makes it more expensive then what I'm going for

Former, it actually has plans beyond "fizzle or get discarded and scoop 'em up" and backup plans to fall back on if your yard gets nuked.

Elves is a meme that auto loses to any board sweep, just straight up loses

>call two decks memes
>suggests two meme decks
>but why stop there?
>DSJ is a meme deck
>Affinity was a meme, then not a meme, now a meme again
>Tron is the memiest of decks
>I'm a meme deck
>You're a meme deck

>send help quick, I'm clinically retarded and I need an adult

They would have to ban a bunch of cards

Damn.